Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2788789 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #19964: Oct 10, 2015 10:26:16 am
      The first decision they've gotten right

Very wrong.

But I don't want to argue at a time like this. We have Klopp and we all deserve to enjoy it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #19965: Oct 10, 2015 11:50:22 am
      The players sold werent exactly kicking and screaming to stay where they . We got the most money we could albeit 15m short for Suarez but Barca held all the aces didnt they

The players sold were unwilling to remain with LFC at that time because the downward spiral was well under way.

Take Suarez as an instance, to keep him here the season before leaving he was promised quality, experienced back up, Luis was practically carrying the team single handed.
      Nothing of the kind transpired and the cynical would say he was kept at Anfield as a further showcase and advertisement for his talents for another season, the grand plan went tits up as we know.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #19966: Oct 10, 2015 12:00:53 pm
      Very wrong.

But I don't want to argue at a time like this. We have Klopp and we all deserve to enjoy it.

They themselves have admitted to making mistakes from which they said they would learn, 5 years into the learning curve somebody looks to be getting educated.

Klopp as you describe could be our saviour, if anyone can end the 25 year trophy drought it is JĂźrgen Klopp.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,967 posts | 5023 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19967: Oct 10, 2015 01:00:04 pm
      Got to be honest I'm presently munching on a slice of humble pie, I've been accusing FSG of lacking ambition recently and questioning whether their initial promises were nothing more than bullshit,

Have to say tho their backing of BR this summer and bringing in JĂźrgen this week is very encouraging, it is my belief Klopp was sounded out during close season but was unavailable hence the backing of Rodgers,

Tabs were kept alive obviously and the inevitable happened, that decision to pull the plug on Brendan is for me the most important so far from FSG.

They got their man in Brendan 3 1/2 yrs ago backed him to a degree, believing he would deliver (almost did), so credit to them for finally admitting they got it wrong and making this pivotal decision and appointing Klopp,

Get in FSG,  I humbly withdraw my accusations, (for now)?

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #19968: Oct 10, 2015 05:11:00 pm
      http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/09/liverpool-new-manager-JĂźrgen-klopp-tom-werner-brendan-rodgers

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner: we gave Brendan Rodgers enough time

• Manager paid price for signings ‘he recommended’ that did not come off

• Jürgen Klopp ‘the right manager to take us forward’, says chairman

Andy Hunter

Friday 9 October 2015 22.30 BST

Tom Werner, the Liverpool chairman, has described Jürgen Klopp as the world-class manager to satisfy the club’s craving for silverware ... and insisted Brendan Rodgers was given ample time to improve results.

The Fenway Sports Group chairman was instrumental in the decision to sack Rodgers last Sunday and replace him with the former Borussia Dortmund coach within four days.

Werner however, claims Rodgers suffered on account of his own signings as manager and that he expects the current squad to respond to Klopp’s quality.

“When we appointed Brendan we thought he was going to be the right manager for Liverpool,” the chairman said. “Obviously we now feel that we have got the world-class manager and beyond that there is not much more I would like to say.

“We gave Brendan, as you know, an opportunity to see if we could improve this season.

There was some very good football last season and some not so good football.

There were some challenges that dealt with injuries, we brought in some new players ... that Brendan recommended ... that we thought would take us forward.

We are where we are.

I don’t want to say too much. We decided to move in a different direction and I am very optimistic.”

Werner, right, added: “Obviously we have a challenge this season and Jürgen said it right.
      None of the supporters are satisfied with our position right now and we believe that JĂźrgen is the right manager to take us forward.
      As you all know we came into this situation with great ambition and I would rather focus on the future.”

Liverpool’s chairman refused to be drawn on when contact was first made with the German coach but admitted: “We have thought about him for a long time and everyone who knows football knows he is an outstanding manager. Obviously he motivates players. We all expect the players are going to respond to him.”

Werner conceded that FSG has had “more managers than we hoped” but believes Klopp, the group’s third appointment as manager and fourth in total, “will be here for a very long time”.

Next week marks the fifth anniversary of FSG’s takeover of Liverpool and the chairman accepted its initial aims for the club are yet to be realised. He added: “We have obviously had some great moments in these five years and came very close to winning the league two years ago. Nobody is satisfied today with our position and as owners we are not going to put undue pressure on Jürgen. He knows that there are great expectations and when we look at the time line I think we have made some improvements. We all know the challenge that we saw when we came into the club five years ago and I think we are proud when we walked into the stadium today and we showed Jürgen the new main stand that is being constructed. Until we win more trophies we won’t be satisfied.”

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19969: Oct 10, 2015 05:49:52 pm
      One thing I'm just not understanding though is if Brendan paid the price for his failed signings then why do certain members in the committee not pay the price for theirs?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #19970: Oct 10, 2015 05:54:31 pm
      One thing I'm just not understanding though is if Brendan paid the price for his failed signings then why do certain members in the committee not pay the price for theirs?

Simple.

The club feel that the committee signings have potential and after allowing Brendan more control and him not proving to get the best out of both his signings and the committee one's he's been fired.

Brendan wasn't fired because he bought poor players. He was fired because he didn't get the best out of all the players we have bought.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #19971: Oct 10, 2015 05:54:52 pm

I believe it's because most of the "committee signings" weren't given much of a chance by Rodgers.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,311 posts | 1671 
      Reply #19972: Oct 10, 2015 05:56:47 pm
      The players sold were unwilling to remain with LFC at that time because the downward spiral was well under way.

Take Suarez as an instance, to keep him here the season before leaving he was promised quality, experienced back up, Luis was practically carrying the team single handed.
      Nothing of the kind transpired and the cynical would say he was kept at Anfield as a further showcase and advertisement for his talents for another season, the grand plan went tits up as we know.
      Nethertheless he was always going to go regardless If the money was spent on Quality which was not achieved . Sterling the same wanted more suppose it comes down to ambition/loyalty and the colour of ÂŁ
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #19973: Oct 10, 2015 06:01:28 pm
      I believe it's because most of the "committee signings" weren't given much of a chance by Rodgers.

That as well.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #19974: Oct 10, 2015 06:07:55 pm
      Brendan wasn't fired because he bought poor players. He was fired because he didn't get the best out of all the players we have bought.

Could not agree more.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #19975: Oct 10, 2015 06:41:54 pm
      Fair play to FSG for getting this deal through.

Them and Ayre have been called everything under the sun (mostly from myself) and under the mood of the fans like last week, we were certain they were going to screw this up.

They didn't and this went so smoothly without a hitch that it's quite unbelievable. Hopefully a turning point for them and the club.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,633 posts | 7147 
      Reply #19976: Oct 10, 2015 07:48:53 pm
      Fair play to FSG for getting this deal through.

Them and Ayre have been called everything under the sun (mostly from myself) and under the mood of the fans like last week, we were certain they were going to screw this up.

They didn't and this went so smoothly without a hitch that it's quite unbelievable. Hopefully a turning point for them and the club.

I think a fair few of us wanted Brendan gone but when it looked possible the spectre of another FSG appointment scared the sh*t out of us.
      This man is perfect I am so stoked its not another Shankly era or a Rafalution this is going to something completely different i just cant wait
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #19977: Oct 10, 2015 11:55:39 pm
      I think a fair few of us wanted Brendan gone but when it looked possible the spectre of another FSG appointment scared the sh*t out of us.
      This man is perfect I am so stoked its not another Shankly era or a Rafalution this is going to something completely different i just cant wait

I feared some of the names being hinted at - Mazzarri, De Boer (nothing against him but he's not yet proved himself) etc. It only made sense to let Brendan go by getting a top top manager in and I doubted our capabilities to attract big names - mainly through lack of trying.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #19978: Oct 11, 2015 04:01:10 am
      They themselves have admitted to making mistakes from which they said they would learn, 5 years into the learning curve somebody looks to be getting educated.

Klopp as you describe could be our saviour, if anyone can end the 25 year trophy drought it is JĂźrgen Klopp.

Everyone makes mistakes.

But bigears suggests it is the first decision they have got right. An obviously incorrect statement.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #19979: Oct 11, 2015 07:30:12 am
      I think FSG have played things very safe in their time here, but this is a very bold decision and hopefully one that pays off.  I certainly believe they deserve credit for acting decisively once the right man became available as it couldn't have been easy to give up on Brendan after the money they had backed him with so recently.

The last time they made a bold decision they got it wrong (imo) when they replaced Kenny, I think they have got this one spot on.   
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,633 posts | 7147 
      Reply #19980: Oct 11, 2015 09:20:02 am
      just watching Shelvey score against us for Swansea how did he get away. Its a new start for the team and FSG (on the football front).
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #19981: Oct 11, 2015 09:29:16 am
      just watching Shelvey score against us for Swansea how did he get away.

If Jonjo is to be believed, it's for game time he couldn't get here so he went to Swansea.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #19982: Oct 11, 2015 09:33:14 am
      Everyone makes mistakes.

But bigears suggests it is the first decision they have got right. An obviously incorrect statement.

In a footballing context many would agree.
      « Last Edit: Oct 11, 2015 09:52:35 am by stuey »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #19983: Oct 11, 2015 09:36:01 am
      Got to give credit where it's due - [given Brendan's sacking was, as it turns out, inevitable] the timing of JĂźrgen Klopp's arrival was spot on.

Talking football here and honestly not trying to score points or win an argument: given the position we are in, five years down the line - what other decisions, in your opinion, did they get right?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #19984: Oct 11, 2015 09:46:41 am
      Got to give credit where it's due - [given Brendan's sacking was, as it turns out, inevitable] the timing of JĂźrgen Klopp's arrival was spot on.
      Talking football here and honestly not trying to score points or win an argument: given the position we are in, five years down the line - what other decisions, in your opinion, did they get right?

For me Mouse, and sorry to jump in, I think football wise they have managed to assemble a very good squad of players that gives us a base to go on and be successful.

I know many of you disagree and while I'm not saying we have the perfect squad or everything they have done recruitment wise has been good, it hasn't, I do think we have the basis to move on and challenge.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #19985: Oct 11, 2015 09:59:27 am
      just watching Shelvey score against us for Swansea how did he get away. Its a new start for the team and FSG (on the football front).

If Jonjo is to be believed, it's for game time he couldn't get here so he went to Swansea.

Lack of discipline according to Carra.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #19986: Oct 11, 2015 10:12:51 am
      Can we put the "The owners don't care about the results" argument to bed now please?

This appointment shows that they do care about the club. I don't care about the 'they run it as a business' crap because with FFP you actually have to run it like a business. Some people want an oil tycoon to swoop in and spend billions on a new squad and I may be in the minority here but I don't. I'd feel dirty with an owner like that. Think about the way you think of Man City as a club... About Chelsea... They're both plastic, synthetic and have bought their way to the top. I don't want that, I want owners who invest money when it needs to be invested and ensure the club is safe financially.

They have spent hundreds of millions on players, they are expanding Anfield something that should have been done a decade ago. Let us not forget the previous owners almost sent us into administration so there must have been (and still might be) a serious clean up job to do from that. Sure they don't turn up to the games and sit with the fans but then again who does do that? Mike Ashley? Don't tell me you don't think he's a c**t despite supporting the club he owns.

As owners go I've always wondered why there is so much negativity. I'm happy for them to be behind the scenes and quietly running the club safely and securely. They saved the club from administration, they are expanding the stadium, they are spending hundreds of millions of pounds on running a successful football club (which is a business now like it or not) and they've just made the move that needed to be done. If you went on a lot of comments on here you'd think they were horrible owners... But when you really think about it and lay out the "Fahcts" as Rafa would say... They're doing a good job in my opinion.

Cheers FSG for saving my club, cheers for investing more money than I can ever dream of having on a daily basis and cheers for making the tough calls when they need to happen.

Quick Reply