Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2769663 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #22471: May 23, 2017 10:41:23 pm
      At least three of these people look happy, of course JWH is thinking about the money he's going to be forced to spend, so he doesn't look so  much so.

Klopp: "C'mon who wants a hug"
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #22472: May 24, 2017 10:50:43 am

Actually, it is "C'mon Linda, I will give you a hug". :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #22473: May 24, 2017 02:25:09 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #22474: May 24, 2017 06:01:21 pm
      http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2017/05/21/linda-pizzuti-henry-boston-globe/

Good, but long article from Boston Magazine about Linda's efforts to save the iconic newspaper, The Boston Globe. Has some good background about her life before meeting John Henry, perceptions of the marriage, etc.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #22475: May 28, 2017 06:06:58 pm
      No excuses for not spending big this summer.  No activity in January and a 20MM positive balance in the last summer window. With champions league and mid week games we need at least another 4 players added to the squad, before replacing anyone.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22476: May 28, 2017 09:36:23 pm
      F**k FSG until they prove me wrong! I'm still waiting!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22477: Jun 01, 2017 01:04:03 pm

Excuses in early.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/peter-moore-liverpool-chief-executive-spending-spree
      Peter Moore starts work on Thursday as Liverpool chief executive with a brief to maximise the club’s revenue over the next few years, though he insists the idea is not to be caught up in a spending race with the likes of Manchester City.

Fenway Sports Group, the club’s American owners, have identified the Liverpool‑born former Microsoft and Electronic Arts executive as the sort of modernising operator who can locate and develop areas where the business can be made more profitable, but Moore will have no direct responsibility for incoming transfers and the present policy of looking for value in the market will stay in place.
      “There is money to back the manager and the sporting director,” the 62-year-old said. “The key ingredients are already in place at this club, you can expect the team to be strengthened, but we won’t be spending £100m just because Manchester City has spent £100m. I have worked for in a company that was involved in a $1bn buyout and it didn’t quite work out. I have lived through a lot of merger and acquisition activity, and what I have learned over the years is that it is not how much you pay but what you get for your money.
      “Everyone wants to see massive money but my business background is buying talent at the right price. We have a kid called Philippe Coutinho who cost £8m, and he is as good as other guys around the league who cost four or five times as much. What I am about, and what I believe this club is about, is making good business decisions.”

Moore has dual American-British citizenship and has spent the most successful years of his career in the Unites States, where he held senior roles with Reebok, SEGA and Microsoft and was responsible for marketing products such as Dreamcast and Xbox. A lifelong football fan and Liverpool supporter he is delighted to be replacing Ian Ayre, even if the remit has changed slightly since the former chief executive stood down. Whereas Ayre was responsible for pursuing transfer targets and tying up deals, Liverpool have appointed Michael Edwards to work with Jürgen Klopp in that capacity as sporting director. Moore’s role is purely to head up the business operation.
      “It was made very clear to me from the start what the job responsibility was,” he said. “I am happy with the remit because I have never been involved in any transfer business other than as a fan, hanging on every rumour and signing. I am built for the job I am undertaking. Football is big business now, you have got to keep moving. I have been the CEO of a $5bn company with 8,500 employees. People might say, what does he know about football? He’s a video game guy or a shoe guy at Reebok. But the key is understanding what drives a business and what leadership qualities a CEO needs.

“My Liverpool background is a major plus, but it’s not key to what I bring. Working in Silicon Valley, where you quickly realise technology is a non-stop river, you have to be constantly on your toes, tweaking direction and strategy, driving revenue. I don’t think football is so very different. The challenge of modern football is also to keep up, not to get left behind. Looking from afar I see clubs that were powerhouses when I was a boy dropping off the pace and losing touch. That is always sad, because once it happens it is very hard to catch up again and become relevant.”
      Harsh critics might say that is where Liverpool are at the moment, with no league title in 27 years, though Moore believes the club is well-placed for an upswing. “I think the stars are aligned here at the moment,” he says. “We have good owners, amazing investment in the stadium, we are presently laying down a brand new multi-million pound players surface, planning to improve our training facilities, we have a world class manager, money to spend on the team and we will be ready for our Champions League qualifying games.

“We will not be spending money just to keep up with the neighbours. We might spend £100m, who knows, but it will not be because one or more of our competitors has done so. We want to invest sensibly and securely, because that is how businesses grow. You need to always think: ‘we can do better here, we can do better there’. Every Premier League club, just like every Bundesliga, La Liga or Serie A club, has a sit down at the end of the year to review what they could have done better. Should you reach a position where you don’t think you can do any better, that is dangerous territory. If you are in business and you think you are perfect, you are screwed.”

Just piss off FSG
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #22478: Jun 01, 2017 01:17:42 pm
      They can't make us champions in 3 years with an extended period 5 years, there's no reason for me to continue to believe them anymore. Sorry that I sounded pessimistic but the signs are all there for us to see; FSG's aspirations and that of the fans are diverging. So, prepare for more so called potential players coming on board.

New CEO, new broom and all that with the fans clasping their hands with the hope that this year will be different that the ones before, since we have a new CEO, well nothing will change. 7 years going into 8, I've given up already on FSG. The only thing I haven;t given up and will never be the case is supporting LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB".

They simply can't have the club being successful as they have a different priorities compared to the fans.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #22479: Jun 01, 2017 01:18:36 pm
      F**k FSG until they prove me wrong! I'm still waiting!

Me too, honestly speaking I have given up hope from the 5th year on that happening.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Reply #22480: Jun 01, 2017 02:47:25 pm

They simply can't have the club being successful as they have a different priorities compared to the fans.
      Yep, it's pretty clear their aim is to make the club middling, mid table material. That's certainly the best way to maximize their investment.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22481: Jun 01, 2017 03:21:44 pm
      Yep, it's pretty clear their aim is to make the club middling, mid table material. That's certainly the best way to maximize their investment.

Worked well so far!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Reply #22482: Jun 01, 2017 03:27:36 pm

And yet save for dropping that game to Chelsea in 13/14, we likely win the title. And had we done that, the narrative even now is completely different.

Look, I'm no fan of FSG, I think JWH is a smug buttlicker, but we aren't as far away as some make us out to be. It's very important that we spend big this window to close the gap, and if they don't do that, then I agree that they aren't showing enough ambition and should be shown the door.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #22483: Jun 01, 2017 03:53:37 pm
      And yet save for dropping that game to Chelsea in 13/14, we likely win the title. And had we done that, the narrative even now is completely different.

Look, I'm no fan of FSG, I think JWH is a smug buttlicker, but we aren't as far away as some make us out to be. It's very important that we spend big this window to close the gap, and if they don't do that, then I agree that they aren't showing enough ambition and should be shown the door.

Doesn't help them though when they go on about Coutinho being such a good deal (obviously he was). But how often does that come about, very rarely you can get a player of that quality for the price we didnand if they think you can do that regularly then they are deluded.

He was also a youngster at the time and very inconsistent, we are in a place now where we need ready made players and there's no avoiding the fees involved with that.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #22484: Jun 01, 2017 04:08:14 pm

We could go close for the next 10 years and still not win the title, when a couple of top players could've made the difference.
      I am willing to change my opinion on FSG when they show that they are serious about bringing the glory days back again. They have proved over the last 7 years that is not high up their priority list.
      Nothing would make me happier than to be able to say FSG are the best owners we could have, but that's far from the truth. They're not going to change.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #22485: Jun 01, 2017 10:58:21 pm
      F***ing hell, the misery in here is palpable and you're​ just feeding each others misery

Regardless of what's gone before we're now working on JĂźrgen's schedule and JĂźrgen's plan.

Now, if you think JĂźrgen should've come in and won the league straight away then you are/have been fooling yourself.

Now stop stamping your feet and enjoy the f**king ride.

:rasp:

I'm not sure that was what the former posters were saying lad... ?

They spoke about 8/9 years of FSG and what to expect from our owners financially, and you spoke of an expectation nobody had? ;D
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #22486: Jun 01, 2017 11:34:59 pm
      His job is to support the Manager, no more no less, Good luck to him.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #22487: Jun 02, 2017 08:32:15 am
      Excuses in early.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/peter-moore-liverpool-chief-executive-spending-spree
      Peter Moore starts work on Thursday as Liverpool chief executive with a brief to maximise the club’s revenue over the next few years, though he insists the idea is not to be caught up in a spending race with the likes of Manchester City.

Fenway Sports Group, the club’s American owners, have identified the Liverpool‑born former Microsoft and Electronic Arts executive as the sort of modernising operator who can locate and develop areas where the business can be made more profitable, but Moore will have no direct responsibility for incoming transfers and the present policy of looking for value in the market will stay in place.
      “There is money to back the manager and the sporting director,” the 62-year-old said. “The key ingredients are already in place at this club, you can expect the team to be strengthened, but we won’t be spending £100m just because Manchester City has spent £100m. I have worked for in a company that was involved in a $1bn buyout and it didn’t quite work out. I have lived through a lot of merger and acquisition activity, and what I have learned over the years is that it is not how much you pay but what you get for your money.
      “Everyone wants to see massive money but my business background is buying talent at the right price. We have a kid called Philippe Coutinho who cost £8m, and he is as good as other guys around the league who cost four or five times as much. What I am about, and what I believe this club is about, is making good business decisions.”

Moore has dual American-British citizenship and has spent the most successful years of his career in the Unites States, where he held senior roles with Reebok, SEGA and Microsoft and was responsible for marketing products such as Dreamcast and Xbox. A lifelong football fan and Liverpool supporter he is delighted to be replacing Ian Ayre, even if the remit has changed slightly since the former chief executive stood down. Whereas Ayre was responsible for pursuing transfer targets and tying up deals, Liverpool have appointed Michael Edwards to work with Jürgen Klopp in that capacity as sporting director. Moore’s role is purely to head up the business operation.
      “It was made very clear to me from the start what the job responsibility was,” he said. “I am happy with the remit because I have never been involved in any transfer business other than as a fan, hanging on every rumour and signing. I am built for the job I am undertaking. Football is big business now, you have got to keep moving. I have been the CEO of a $5bn company with 8,500 employees. People might say, what does he know about football? He’s a video game guy or a shoe guy at Reebok. But the key is understanding what drives a business and what leadership qualities a CEO needs.

“My Liverpool background is a major plus, but it’s not key to what I bring. Working in Silicon Valley, where you quickly realise technology is a non-stop river, you have to be constantly on your toes, tweaking direction and strategy, driving revenue. I don’t think football is so very different. The challenge of modern football is also to keep up, not to get left behind. Looking from afar I see clubs that were powerhouses when I was a boy dropping off the pace and losing touch. That is always sad, because once it happens it is very hard to catch up again and become relevant.”
      Harsh critics might say that is where Liverpool are at the moment, with no league title in 27 years, though Moore believes the club is well-placed for an upswing. “I think the stars are aligned here at the moment,” he says. “We have good owners, amazing investment in the stadium, we are presently laying down a brand new multi-million pound players surface, planning to improve our training facilities, we have a world class manager, money to spend on the team and we will be ready for our Champions League qualifying games.

“We will not be spending money just to keep up with the neighbours. We might

[https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/peter-moore-liverpool-chief-executive-spending-spree

“We will not be spending money just to keep up with the neighbours. We might spend £100m, who knows, but it will not be because one or more of our competitors has done so. We want to invest sensibly and securely, because that is how businesses grow. You need to always think: ‘we can do better here, we can do better there’. Every Premier League club, just like every Bundesliga, La Liga or Serie A club, has a sit down at the end of the year to review what they could have done better. Should you reach a position where you don’t think you can do any better, that is dangerous territory. If you are in business and you think you are perfect, you are screwed.”

Just piss off FSG

Call me a cynic but sorting the wheat from the chaff in that lengthy article is remarkably easy.
      Amongst all the guff about executive shuffling, expected expenditure, the merits of buying an ÂŁ8m player and  the assumption that his worth will increase 10 fold, a repeated theme does jump out;  LFC will not compete with it's rivals.

The financial preconditions set out by the owners dictate we cannot hope to compete with our rivals.
      We may do a Leicester in the next 20 years, we might manage to keep hold of some potential turned good however while those preconditions exist we will remain also-rans.
      Those very preconditions also preclude enduring success.
      « Last Edit: Jun 02, 2017 08:38:59 am by stuey »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #22488: Jun 02, 2017 08:58:49 am
      Peter Moore i can only hope that you can emulate one of our all time greats Peter Robinson.I will give you a little tip.he backed our managers all the way in the transfer market.I suggest you look at the players he was responsible for bringing to this club and the success that followed.As well as being answerable to F.S.G. you are also answerable to the supporters of this great club.
      « Last Edit: Jun 02, 2017 09:03:22 am by Billy1 »
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #22489: Jun 02, 2017 01:04:32 pm
      Excuses in early.

Call me a cynic but sorting the wheat from the chaff in that lengthy article is remarkably easy.
      Amongst all the guff about executive shuffling, expected expenditure, the merits of buying an ÂŁ8m player and  the assumption that his worth will increase 10 fold, a repeated theme does jump out;  LFC will not compete with it's rivals.

The financial preconditions set out by the owners dictate we cannot hope to compete with our rivals.
      We may do a Leicester in the next 20 years, we might manage to keep hold of some potential turned good however while those preconditions exist we will remain also-rans.
      Those very preconditions also preclude enduring success.

Echoes my thoughts mate, Moores opening statement sounded very much like he has been well and truly coached up in FSG speak, it might have been easier if JH or Werner had simply read it themselves. The references to City and Coutinho confirm that there will be no change-up (even temporarily) to the approach we have come to expect from FSG. I'm fairly certain JĂźrgen will bring in 2 (maybe 3 depending on the Sakho sale) players for a similar transfer fee to Mane last season and no doubt there will be a few more that come in for less than ÂŁ6-8 million. Fingers crossed he can find another Coutinho in there eh! Either way there will be real pressure on him to get the transfers right, we need 2-3 to be as successful as Mane and Matip were last season or we will be in trouble. Given the relatively low net spend since his arrival along with the huge increases in TV money alongside Champions League qualification I would have expected JĂźrgen to be given somewhere in the region of ÂŁ150 million to spend on transfers. I expect it will be well short of that though. I reckon he'll spend about ÂŁ60 million net. 
      « Last Edit: Jun 02, 2017 01:08:51 pm by Scottbot »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #22490: Jun 02, 2017 02:20:28 pm
      Of course we can't compete with City in terms of funds, are you lot deluded? The only way to do that is spunking our load away on one player, and we need more that one player.

We do not have as much money to spend as City, United, Chelsea or even Arsenal. Simple. We should not try to overpay for players just because they are willing to.

50 million for Martial, 100 million for Pogba, 50 million for Stones and Sterling. No F***ing thanks, you want owners stupid enough to green light those moves and throw that money down the drain you can have them. I'd rather have people with a financial plan not a soulless blank cheque book, it's like playing with cheat codes, F**k that.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #22491: Jun 02, 2017 02:56:28 pm
      That's the same article about the CEO as was in the mail, except in there he extolled the virtues of "technical analysis" helping us to choose players, as well as taking about the fact Michael Edwards has his "finger on the pulse" of worldwide transfer values.

Oh dear.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #22492: Jun 02, 2017 03:00:42 pm
      That's the same article about the CEO as was in the mail, except in there he extolled the virtues of "technical analysis" helping us to choose players, as well as taking about the fact Michael Edwards has his "finger on the pulse" of worldwide transfer values.

Oh dear.

hmm
      Edwards wanted Mane, BR didn't.
      Edwards wanted Salah, BR didn't.
      No doubt there's a few other examples.

All clubs use analysts, Southampton have 20-odd.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #22493: Jun 02, 2017 06:24:10 pm
      Of course we can't compete with City in terms of funds, are you lot deluded? The only way to do that is spunking our load away on one player, and we need more that one player.

We do not have as much money to spend as City, United, Chelsea or even Arsenal. Simple. We should not try to overpay for players just because they are willing to.

50 million for Martial, 100 million for Pogba, 50 million for Stones and Sterling. No F***ing thanks, you want owners stupid enough to green light those moves and throw that money down the drain you can have them. I'd rather have people with a financial plan not a soulless blank cheque book, it's like playing with cheat codes, F**k that.
      While I might agree with some of that ,buying expensive players is hardly playing with cheat codes , unless that's what your implying we used to do when we was the top team in the land ,because believe it or not we used to buy expensive  pre prem era .

Quick Reply