Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC

Read 2794852 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Re: NESV/Fenway Sports Group: Owners of LFC
      Reply #30176: Jan 11, 2022 08:41:23 pm
      Re-signing a 30yo is not an investment in the future. Giving a player like Elliott a crack at the team is.

We gave a lot of players close to 30 new contracts, maybe we shouldn't have resigned them either.

Personally don't think Gini was over the hill - and Jürgen wanted him to stay, which is pretty much all I need to know tbh.

Elliot has a crack at being in the team whether Gini had stayed, or if we had signed a new player on him leaving - if your good enough, you're old enough.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30177: Jan 11, 2022 08:42:46 pm
      But that’s exactly how Klopp sees it - instead of bringing someone in , use the very talented youngster the club has

Bringing someone in would have reduced the level of games Elliot would have been playing

There is no doubt imo that they looked at the options and went with Elliot with looking to replace the likes of Milner this summer

That's how Jürgen saw it, once he left, and when he wasn't given any money to spend.

But he didn't want him to leave, and made that very clear.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #30178: Jan 11, 2022 08:52:42 pm
      That's how Jürgen saw it, once he left, and when he wasn't given any money to spend.

But he didn't want him to leave, and made that very clear.

Yes Klopp wanted him to sign a new contract but it was clear Gini didnt

So Klopp and his team etc would have looked at the options and went with Elliot - no one know what’s money Edwards had to spent etc
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #30179: Jan 11, 2022 09:04:14 pm
      Re-signing a 30yo is not an investment in the future.

So....I guess we should cash out on Mo then, no use resigning him since he'll be 30 this summer?
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #30180: Jan 11, 2022 09:20:36 pm
      We gave a lot of players close to 30 new contracts, maybe we shouldn't have resigned them either.

Personally don't think Gini was over the hill - and Jürgen wanted him to stay, which is pretty much all I need to know tbh.

Elliot has a crack at being in the team whether Gini had stayed, or if we had signed a new player on him leaving - if your good enough, you're old enough.

Specific to midfield, when Thiago arrived and with the understanding that Hendo would be extended, it meant Gini was likely going to leave. No one has said Gini was over the hill, but having 3 expensive players all in their 30s locked into mid to long term deals is risky as they start to age and abilities to deteriorate. Not sure how resigning a 30yo Gini is "an investment in the future with Hendo aging" considering they're basically the same age. 30 year olds aren't investments in the future, they are for the near-term and with a look at the future is that he was let go and 18yo Elliott given the chance to prove himself.

Same thing will have to happen up front. Mane, Bobby and Salah are all either 30 already or on the cusp of turning 30 so it is likely one will have to go, probably in the upcoming summer, and start looking for the next generation of forwards.
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2022 09:31:55 pm by CT_LFC »
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #30181: Jan 11, 2022 09:55:43 pm
      Specific to midfield, when Thiago arrived and with the understanding that Hendo would be extended, it meant Gini was likely going to leave. No one has said Gini was over the hill, but having 3 expensive players all in their 30s locked into mid to long term deals is risky as they start to age and abilities to deteriorate. Not sure how resigning a 30yo Gini is "an investment in the future with Hendo aging" considering they're basically the same age. 30 year olds aren't investments in the future, they are for the near-term and with a look at the future is that he was let go and 18yo Elliott given the chance to prove himself.

When I made the comment about investing in the future, that was about signing a replacement for Gini, but you seem to think I was talking about Gini, maybe you missed the context.
      If we had kept Gini, it would have been shorter term obviously, and Jürgen seemed to be happy with that and wanted to keep him.
      Elliot would have had a chance to prove himself if Gini had stayed, or if he left and we'd signed someone else. Better players get more game time, the not so good players/less trusted players, less. Competition for places is healthy, and quality of squad depth a good thing,

Anyway, this isn't specifically about Gini. This is about FSGs level of investment in the squad and in the players, and supporting Jürgen to be able to challenge clubs for the big trophies. If you think they are putting in enough, great.  Some people think they can do more than one signing per summer.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 567 posts | 129 
      Reply #30182: Jan 11, 2022 10:21:52 pm
      Yes Klopp wanted him to sign a new contract but it was clear Gini didnt

So Klopp and his team etc would have looked at the options and went with Elliot - no one know what’s money Edwards had to spent etc

I really don't see Klopp having planned to give young Elliot the same minutes that Gini played last season. Overplaying the youngsters is not a good plan to have in terms of long term fitness, it's reckless to push them too hard too soon. I can accept your previous post where he could have been brought in to cover Millys minutes played.
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #30183: Jan 11, 2022 10:57:30 pm
      When I made the comment about investing in the future, that was about signing a replacement for Gini, but you seem to think I was talking about Gini, maybe you missed the context.
      If we had kept Gini, it would have been shorter term obviously, and Jürgen seemed to be happy with that and wanted to keep him.
      Elliot would have had a chance to prove himself if Gini had stayed, or if he left and we'd signed someone else. Better players get more game time, the not so good players/less trusted players, less. Competition for places is healthy, and quality of squad depth a good thing,

Anyway, this isn't specifically about Gini. This is about FSGs level of investment in the squad and in the players, and supporting Jürgen to be able to challenge clubs for the big trophies. If you think they are putting in enough, great.  Some people think they can do more than one signing per summer.

Elliott was given Gini's spot in the squad, therefore is his replacement in the team, it's just that because he wasn't a transfer of certain amount that you don't like it and still think we didn't replace him. You keep going back to "level of investment" because that is the only lens you view the team through, while i don't care one bit how much a player cost.

While Jürgen may have been happy with Gini back on a short term basis, Gini himself wasn't as he looked for a longer deal, so he took the PSG money and ran. That we took his spot on the team and gave it to Elliott is more than fine with me and i'm not going to care that we didn't bring anyone else as the kid looks like he can be an absolute stud.

Jürgen has even come out and said we need to make room in the team for talents like his, but you'll probably say he's forced to say that because he doesn't have options anyway, despite the fact that he has always liked to bring young players along.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-Jürgen-klopp-harvey-elliott-21304908

He also said after the Burnley game that if Gini was here, that Harvey may not have started, which is clear since Gini was a staple in the starting lineup. Young players need opportunities, not obstacles to show their talent and Gini running for the money opened up that opportunity for Harvey.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/Jürgen-klopp-liverpool-midfield-harvey-elliott-curtis-jones-transfer-news-1172794

We have seen this year that Morton looks like he can be a good player for us, and in the hypothetical that this upcoming summer Milner leaves/retires, which is not unlikely, and we give the spot to Morton, we will have the same narrative that we didn't replace Milner simply because the option came from within and not from a transfer. So yes, when "investment" is how you measure quality then we certainly won't agree.

RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #30184: Jan 11, 2022 11:00:14 pm
      Said in the summer that we needed to invest in the midfield simply due to the fact that our whole midfield is injury prone (excluding Elliot and Jones who were to a degree were unknown quantities). Only one who isn’t injury prone is Milner and he’s just a depth option these days.

Elliot has shown a lot of potential, but regarding Jones I think the jury is still out - think he’s been decent but I don’t see him becoming a regular starter but maybe I’m missing something and he will prove me wrong.

Come summer I’d be looking to shift Ox, Keita and possibly Milner (think he adds a lot in terms of experience and leadership but I don’t think that’s something our team necessarily lacks) and invest in a youngish midfielder who can play 40-50 games a season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #30185: Jan 11, 2022 11:00:36 pm
      Young potentially great players can't progress if there is no room for them to progress.

Imagine we signed an experienced RB when Trent was ready for the first team?

This is kind of the point I was trying to make the other day but still don't think I got it across. I agree that everyone likes to see young players come through but I also think many are clouded by the desire for big signings to actually see what needs to be there for that to happen.
      « Last Edit: Jan 12, 2022 10:15:19 am by srslfc »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #30186: Jan 12, 2022 10:10:06 am
      Young potentially great played can't progress of there is no room for them to progress.

Imagine we signed an experienced RB when Trent was ready for the first team?

This is kind of the point I was trying to make the other day but still don't think I got it across. I agree that everyone likes to see young players come through but I also think many are clouded by the desire for big signings to actually see what needs to be there for that to happen.

Yeah and Trents a good examplee. Would he have had a fair go had Clyne not been injured?  Would we more likely have spent big on replacing Clyne rather then give Trent a go in a situation outside of Clynes injury?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #30187: Jan 12, 2022 10:16:51 am
      Re-signing a 30yo is not an investment in the future. Giving a player like Elliott a crack at the team is.

When Gini decided to leave, maybe it was seen as an opportunity to evolve the team a bit, and with the arrival of Elliott, use that position for creativity and offensive output instead of the hard-nose work that Gini provided.

Unfortunately these kinds of discussions cannot be had because it always defaults back to anti-FSG noise.

F**k off you and your mates are like flies around sh*t every time someone posts on hear.
      what happend to LFC after the signed Mo,Virgil,and Ali. These are the quality of players needed to win leagues and CL's which has been proven by FSG themselves. What other signings have they made of equal quality and standing and who have contributed to winning silverware
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #30188: Jan 12, 2022 10:18:47 am
      What other signings have they made of equal quality and standing and who have contributed to winning silverware

Mane

Firmino

Wijnaldum

Robertson

Fabinho
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #30189: Jan 12, 2022 10:19:24 am
      Yeah and Trents a good examplee. Would he have had a fair go had Clyne not been injured?  Would we more likely have spent big on replacing Clyne rather then give Trent a go in a situation outside of Clynes injury?

I think credit must go to Trent he was given an opportunity and grabbed it with both hands. I remember Neville salivating at this young lad making his debut at Old Trafford and he was MOTM for me. Other lads have his skill level but he has something else that isnt easily defined or taught
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #30190: Jan 12, 2022 10:23:01 am
      I think credit must go to Trent he was given an opportunity and grabbed it with both hands. I remember Neville salivating at this young lad making his debut at Old Trafford and he was MOTM for me. Other lads have his skill level but he has something else that isnt easily defined or taught

Absolutely. The point I probably didnt male well was had Clyne not been fooked in reality what were the chances of Trent being trusted with a good run in the league

He got that run and grabbed it with both hands. Im sure we have lads now who can fo similar but might never get that chance because the boss is under pressure to get results and secondly were more likely to stick with trusted seniors or go and buy someone in
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30191: Jan 12, 2022 10:23:50 am
      Of course we have young players coming through.

And it's great.

But what does that have to do with what people see as under investment in the squad and FSG doing very little in transfers in recent windows?

Were just saying there are folk on social media in general that would prefer we bought lots of 100m players rather than see some young local players coming through and playing.

Its a very strange modern agenda by some very weird people.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #30192: Jan 12, 2022 10:25:32 am
      Absolutely. The point I probably didnt male well was had Clyne not been fooked in reality what were the chances of Trent being trusted with a good run in the league

He got that run and grabbed it with both hands. Im sure we have lads now who can fo similar but might never get that chance because the boss is under pressure to get results and secondly were more likely to stick with trusted seniors or go and buy someone in

exactly Jürgen is expected to win every game and young players make mistakes so its difficult for Jürgen and the young lads coming through.
      I suspect winning makes it even more difficult for them.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #30193: Jan 12, 2022 10:27:17 am
      Mane

Firmino

Wijnaldum

Robertson

Fabinho

As good as they are do you really think they are in the same bracket ? I dont.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #30194: Jan 12, 2022 10:29:43 am
      As good as they are do you really think they are in the same bracket ? I dont.

You could argue that maybe apart from Gini all have had spells where they have been considered the best in their position in both the league and Europe so I'd say yes.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #30195: Jan 12, 2022 10:36:22 am

I remember the reaction when TAA was playing instead of Clyne and then when we let him go and that we couldn’t rely on youngsters
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #30196: Jan 12, 2022 10:39:15 am
      f**k off you and your mates are like flies around sh*t every time someone posts on hear.
      what happend to LFC after the signed Mo,Virgil,and Ali. These are the quality of players needed to win leagues and CL's which has been proven by FSG themselves. What other signings have they made of equal quality and standing and who have contributed to winning silverware

Mane
      Firmino
      Gini
      Milner
      Ox
      Fabinho
      Lovren
      Lallana
      Robertson
      Matip
      Gomez
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #30197: Jan 12, 2022 10:39:48 am
      I remember the reaction when TAA was playing instead of Clyne and then when we let him go and that we couldn’t rely on youngsters

these voices in your head constantly agreeing with you are giving you delusions that you can speak for everyone.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #30198: Jan 12, 2022 10:45:22 am
      You could argue that maybe apart from Gini all have had spells where they have been considered the best in their position in both the league and Europe so I'd say yes.

to be the best Bobby needs to score 20 goals plus each season and so does Mane. Surely everyone can see that these three players made the difference.
      ALi won the CL in his first year and we were so close to the EPL with our best season. We seem unable to put a constant midfield out because of injuries these days and so I dont think we have seen the best of some of those Fab and Thiago and Keita for instance but its were we are.

Quick Reply