Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Tom Hicks "We spent £300million on players, £150million net"

Read 8732 times
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Re: Tom Hicks "We spent £300million on players, £150million net"
      Reply #69: Oct 16, 2010 04:41:02 pm
      Without throwing a spanner in the works whichever way you look at it it's 172 million spent on players wether it's net spend or not, I would expect a lot more from a squad of players that cost that much. Let's also not forget perhaps our best player Gerrard and Carragher cost us nothing.

Now I am no manager but if you keep Stevie and Carra in the side I am sure that spending that amount of money we should have a better starting eleven than we do. I understand the likes of Hansens frustrations bottom line it's still a lot of money spent.

People are being a little blinded by the term net spend here. If you sell a player for eight million and buy another for ten you are still buying a ten million pound player.

Personally Rafa has bought a lot of tosh to the club, granted he bought some gems to..but I would like to have seen him spend big on one player rather than his Babel and Rieras with an Ngog thrown in. 
      azizdamji
      • Banned

• 155 posts | -2 
      Reply #70: Oct 16, 2010 04:43:41 pm
      Without throwing a spanner in the works whichever way you look at it it's 172 million spent on players wether it's net spend or not, I would expect a lot more from a squad of players that cost that much. Let's also not forget perhaps our best player Gerrard and Carragher cost us nothing.

Now I am no manager but if you keep Stevie and Carra in the side I am sure that spending that amount of money we should have a better starting eleven than we do. I understand the likes of Hansens frustrations bottom line it's still a lot of money spent.

People are being a little blinded by the term net spend here. If you sell a player for eight million and buy another for ten you are still buying a ten million pound player.

Personally Rafa has bought a lot of tosh to the club, granted he bought some gems to..but I would like to have seen him spend big on one player rather than his Babel and Rieras with an Ngog thrown in. 
      Anyone know what Houlliers net spend was?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #71: Oct 16, 2010 05:01:41 pm

And if you don't sell the £8m player but still need a squad player you have £2m to play with.  Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City & to some extent, in the last 3/4 seasons, Spurs & Villa haven't had to fund squad improvements by selling players first.  You don't improve your squad like that & Rafa has let it known that he was often rebuffed on his no 1 targets by the board.  If he hadn't sold to buy, to try & increase our squad depth, how much would the gross spend be?  Anywhere near the £172m you've quoted?  That's why gross spend is inaccurate, because people react like we had it on one lump sum, that we didn't recoup a lot of it from player sales.  Rafa had to build incrementally, was always under pressure to balance the books and when you're given that kind of mandate and not able to buy your first choice targets, you're going to suffer.  Rafa brought some dross, that I'll agree, but name me a top manager that hasn't.

As for Carragher & Gerrard being our best two players, not on form they aren't, over the last two seasons that's easily Reina.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #72: Oct 16, 2010 05:04:17 pm
      Point being Roddenberry he was selling players that he had bought himself which is what was frustrating.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #73: Oct 16, 2010 05:09:03 pm

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #74: Oct 16, 2010 05:15:01 pm
      Point being Roddenberry he was selling players that he had bought himself which is what was frustrating.

Er.... possibly because his buys were the ones who increased their value??

Anyway this is about what Tom said he spent which he doesn't actually know because at the start of the interview he was talking £'s spent and at the end he was using $'s - huge difference especially with today's exchange rate.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #75: Oct 16, 2010 05:18:51 pm

Yes and usually at a profit & to fund further improvements to the squad.  Managers do sell players they buy, Rafa sold several of his mistakes,often quickly & profitably, isn't that a sign of a good manager, realizing mistakes  & rectifying them?
      redpool
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #76: Oct 16, 2010 05:25:17 pm

I am not saying Rafa did not make mistakes, even the man himself has admitted that he has made mistakes bringing certain players to the club. All managers have their bad buys and the record of Slur Fungusface and his gang of disciples in the transfer market are also very average. It is always a case of hit and miss when you are buying players in the 5 - 10 millions pounds range.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #77: Oct 16, 2010 05:44:01 pm
      F**k me Gazza are you for real :mad:, an net spend of £27 million in his tenure says all you need to know , there is no arguing with figures. 4 transfer windows with a transfer surplus

In the same time check Barc Real Inter Chelsea Man citys net spend in the same time and come back to me
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #78: Oct 16, 2010 05:46:03 pm
      Anyone know what Houlliers net spend was?

Houllier spent       £130.9m
      Houllier recouped  £60.3m
      Houllier net spend  £70.6m

Think of the inflation in the transfer market since then and Houllier massively out spent Rafa.

Here the figures using Tpi football inflation.

Houllier spent        £278m
      Houllier recouped  £99.4m
      Houllier net spend £171.4m

« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2010 05:51:09 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #79: Oct 16, 2010 05:50:18 pm
      £300 million on players? And bought a £150 million pound net? where the F**k does he go fishing!  :f_whistle:
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #80: Oct 16, 2010 05:54:47 pm

What you have to remember Gazza is that sometimes players were sacrificed to bring in better players and funded the moves in itself i.e Sissoko for Masch, Garcia and Bellamy for Torres.

Players that we would never have got otherwise.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #81: Oct 16, 2010 05:55:26 pm
      £300 million on players? And bought a £150 million pound net? where the f**k does he go fishing!  :f_whistle:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Classic!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #82: Oct 16, 2010 06:03:58 pm
      Houllier spent       £130.9m
      Houllier recouped  £60.3m
      Houllier net spend  £70.6m

Think of the inflation in the transfer market since then and Houllier massively out spent Rafa.

Here the figures using Tpi football inflation.

Houllier spent        £278m
      Houllier recouped  £99.4m
      Houllier net spend £171.4m

In contrast Rafa net spends over his entire tenure are.

Benítez spent        £223m
      Benitez recouped  £159.3m
      Benitez Net Spend £61m look at that figure that equates to £11m per season net £5.5 million per transfer window net.

To be fair heres the figures for Rafa using Tpi football inflation.

Benítez spent         £278m
      Benitez recouped    £215.1m
      Benitez Net Spend  £62.9m

TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #83: Oct 16, 2010 06:04:05 pm
      What you have to remember Gazza is that sometimes players were sacrificed to bring in better players and funded the moves in itself I.e Sissoko for Masch, Garcia and Bellamy for Torres.

Players that we would never have got otherwise.

I don't think you'll have much luck...

This doughnut was last in the queue when they were handing out jam.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #84: Oct 16, 2010 06:04:18 pm
      F**k me Gazza are you for real :mad:, an net spend of £27 million in his tenure says all you need to know , there is no arguing with figures. 4 transfer windows with a transfer surplus

In the same time check Barc Real Inter Chelsea Man citys net spend in the same time and come back to me

Add Villa to that list, the 'saviour' (according to some) that is Martin O'Neill, had a net spend at Villa that was almost equal to the net spend during the whole of Rafa's tenure.  Spurs under Harry would probably be interesting reading to.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #85: Oct 16, 2010 07:16:56 pm

He tried to get big players, if you actually did some research you would realize that. He was constantly undermined by the board. He wanted Alves, Malouda etc and instead had to settle for the kind of players you mentioned.

That's the main point here - a lot of people gloss over the fact Rafa was not buying his first choice, and instead blame bad buys on him. It's kinda like giving me 10 bucks to go get a good ladder. Then you fall off the ladder because it's not very stable, and you blame me for it. Well, thats what you get for giving me peanuts to buy something.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #86: Oct 16, 2010 07:21:47 pm
      It is the media hating Benitez that is blaming Rafa for everything, I even heard a supposed F***ing Liverpool fan on the radio today saying what did Hicks and Gillette do wrong it was Rafa that wasted all the money :mad:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #87: Oct 16, 2010 07:23:36 pm
      It is the media hating Benitez that is blaming Rafa for everything, I even heard a supposed F***ing Liverpool fan on the radio today saying what did Hicks and Gillette do wrong it was Rafa that wasted all the money :mad:

He didn't have a Slurred Scottish accent did he? Or even a Texan twang??
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #88: Oct 16, 2010 07:25:47 pm
      I normally listen to the football show on today fm. Had to turn it off at the first caller. Blamed Rafa straight away saying the owners had given him the money. Its like he just watched ssn and rang in to give an opinion basing Hicks' claims as factual. The mind boggles
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #89: Oct 16, 2010 07:27:41 pm
      I normally listen to the football show on today fm. Had to turn it off at the first caller. Blamed Rafa straight away saying the owners had given him the money. Its like he just watched ssn and rang in to give an opinion basing Hicks' claims as factual. The mind boggles

Some are just clueless whoppers mate, I've seen a few on here myslef in the last 14/15 months
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #90: Oct 16, 2010 07:27:48 pm
      People like that should not be allowed near a phone. Dick heads.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #91: Oct 16, 2010 07:27:54 pm
      It is the media hating Benitez that is blaming Rafa for everything, I even heard a supposed f**king Liverpool fan on the radio today saying what did Hicks and Gillette do wrong it was Rafa that wasted all the money :mad:

Its these 'fans' which make me hate modern football, I think we have less of them than other clubs but F***ing hell why do our ones seem so intent on phone-ins.

Quick Reply