Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Glen Johnson: RB or on the wing?

RB
      (17.2%)
      Winger
      (68.7%)
      Undecided (for Bad Boy Bubby ;))
      (14.1%)

Glen Johnson, RB or RM?

Read 15954 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Glen Johnson, RB or RM?
      Reply #115: Nov 08, 2010 07:18:33 pm
      Glen is not consistent enough at RB for me, i would be happy if Kelly made the position his own with back up from Stephen Darby, as for Glen by all means try the lad at RW for a spell and see what transpires, and have competition between him and Maxi for that berth, it's not a bad idea to  have Kuyt up along side Nando in a 4-4-2 system with a Gerrard, Meireles/Lucas, Shelvey midfield, the left side is a problem in this system as in who could fill the left side in front of Konch/Aurelio or even Agger,(Pacheco, anyone?) Cole would not want to be there having played there with the Chavs(2-0,  :lmao:  :lmao:), and professes his best position is in the hole, which is fine if he makes things happen, but i'm counting on my one hand how many times did that actually happen, Pacheco would be perfect for me but Roy wont even have the lad on the bench, there are many combinations that could be had but then again we have a more than cautious manager who is reluctant to gamble and let the players express themselves the way we would love them to,'' attack, attack, attack attack attack '', take the game to the opposition, any opposition and see where we end up, we want sides shiitting themselves when they play us, home or away, look up now guys, FLYING PIGS!!!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #116: Nov 08, 2010 07:28:29 pm
      It seems that our recent wing backs do seem to offer more going forward than defending! Finnan was like that too!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #117: Nov 08, 2010 07:30:21 pm

LRO   Left Right Out .

Flying Pig?
      Tommy Lawrence.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #118: Nov 08, 2010 08:18:24 pm
      If Johnson was sold we would get at least £15 million for him, attacking full backs are essential in successful modern day football.

Johnson is as good an attacking full back as there is in the Premiership, fact well according to opta and from what I've seen. He is one of the few players we have that would walk into most teams.

Look at Maicon an attacking full back, I've often said on here he was poor in defence but have being pulled on it by a few on here well ye know now what I was talking about after the match the other night.

If you want attacking full backs and attacking football I'm sorry but you have to sacrifice a bit on the defensive side. There is no right back in the Premiership I'd take ahead of him.

This.

Altough I say let's try him as a RW anyway. But I think he would be great in any well built attacking-minded team, which sadly is not Liverpool's status nowadays
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #119: Nov 08, 2010 11:34:59 pm
      Great going foward but sh*te at defending but thats what you get if your an attacking RB.

Kelly right back.

Johnson right price juve?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #120: Nov 08, 2010 11:36:30 pm
      No contest this poll!
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #121: Nov 08, 2010 11:48:35 pm
      I think Glen is a good RB if he is played in the correct system. Roy's system doesn't really suit him, because we defend so deep, it leaves him with very little space when he gets forward. Which leads to him drifting further and further up the pitch, so that when he gets the ball he is in a position where he can get forward and attack from.

If we played with a higher defensive line, and did a lot of pressing then I'm sure we would see Glen hit form, but if we carry on sitting on our own 18 yard box then he is going to struggle.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #122: Nov 09, 2010 05:26:21 am
      What about this lineup for the next match:

Pepe

Kelly Carra Greek  Konchesky

Johnson Gerrard  Lucas  Maxi

Kuyt/N'Gog

Torres

my only problem is if we don't have a winger than is high time we find one.Johnson and Kelly are our RB players they have to fight for that position which is very good.Johnson RB...... He must just work on his game to get better.
      « Last Edit: Nov 09, 2010 05:32:42 am by FRANS »
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #123: Nov 09, 2010 10:24:52 am
      Every single time Johnson has put in a performance it has been his attacking play down the right wing that has drawn plaudits.  I have never once read any comment saying "Johnson defended well today" 

It is a no brainer that he is either a right winger, a right midfield, or not a Liverpool player at all. I would at least give him a chance up there. 
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #124: Nov 09, 2010 10:27:27 am
      I think Glen is a good RB if he is played in the correct system. Roy's system doesn't really suit him, because we defend so deep, it leaves him with very little space when he gets forward. Which leads to him drifting further and further up the pitch, so that when he gets the ball he is in a position where he can get forward and attack from.

If we played with a higher defensive line, and did a lot of pressing then I'm sure we would see Glen hit form, but if we carry on sitting on our own 18 yard box then he is going to struggle.

I don't get this... if we sit deeper, surely he has more space to explode into? 
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #125: Nov 09, 2010 10:48:33 am
      I don't get this... if we sit deeper, surely he has more space to explode into? 

You want less space to explode into.  If we're defending on the half-way line and GJ gets the ball and beats the first man, he's now a few steps away from the 18 yard box with only their LB to beat.  If we're defending on the edge of our box and he gets the ball and beats the first man, he's just crossed the half-way line and likely to run into their LM (or their CM coming across to help close down) and LB still. 

Sure, he's got more space to explode into but the opposite is what you want.  Think Messi at this world cup, he was getting the ball so deep in his own half that he was quite ineffective.  You want him to dribble the ball forward sure, but only dribble enough that once he's beaten a man he's in a dangerous position.  The same is true of GJ, you want him to have just enough space to start a run on the ball (ergo him playing at RB as opposed to RM/RW) and less space to explode into once he's beaten the first man.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #126: Nov 09, 2010 10:55:47 am
      You want less space to explode into.  If we're defending on the half-way line and GJ gets the ball and beats the first man, he's now a few steps away from the 18 yard box with only their LB to beat.  If we're defending on the edge of our box and he gets the ball and beats the first man, he's just crossed the half-way line and likely to run into their LM (or their CM coming across to help close down) and LB still. 

Sure, he's got more space to explode into but the opposite is what you want.  Think Messi at this world cup, he was getting the ball so deep in his own half that he was quite ineffective.  You want him to dribble the ball forward sure, but only dribble enough that once he's beaten a man he's in a dangerous position.  The same is true of GJ, you want him to have just enough space to start a run on the ball (ergo him playing at RB as opposed to RM/RW) and less space to explode into once he's beaten the first man.

I agree we need to play a higher line, but that is not what redwilly was saying.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #127: Nov 10, 2010 10:25:21 am
      Think we should try him up the flank during one of the Thursday night specials.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #128: Nov 10, 2010 12:11:33 pm
       Johnson is one of the few players who did well last season ....I don't know way  we have  to play him at RM.....for me he will not do a good job at RM.If we  have good players in midfield on the wings there will be no need for Johnson to go forward he will only go when it is needed .And will he also play at RM for England or what???He is a RB and he must play at RB
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #129: Nov 11, 2010 12:34:23 am
      No way is Glen a RM. I think his first touch is too heavy to be a great RM and a winger should have great positional sense and timing. Of course he is very good at running at defenders. But if he was a winger, he would get slaughtered precisely because he does not have the touch nor the flair nor the positional sense (which i think is his main weakness). Sometimes, we think he will be a good winger but IMO that is because he has time and space to run into the flanks. If he was a winger, the defender would always track him therefore exposing his frailties which i have mentioned. To me he is most effective when he has the time and space to run from deep with no one picking him up. Of course right now he might be the best person to be at right wing precisely because we have very few options but for the long run he is better off at RB. But right now i wouldn't mind him at RM.

Quick Reply