Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Hodgson has no fears for future

Read 6922 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Hodgson has no fears for future
      Dec 14, 2010 09:14:16 pm
      Hodgson has faith in his ability

Roy Hodgson does not believe any other manager could get more out of the Liverpool team given current resources.

Liverpool's manager, who had "great confidence" in his ability, said "Whoever takes my place will be in a similar job with similar players."

That would remain so "unless there is a major inflow of cash into the club and the team is going to be changed from one moment to the next".

The Reds lie ninth in the Premier League nine points off a top-four spot.

NESV's John W Henry, speaking during a phone-in on the club's in-house television channel on Monday, said the team's form towards the end of last season and so far this campaign has been "unacceptable", although Hodgson says he has the support of the club's hierarchy.

"The owners have made it perfectly clear they are in it for the long term and they are going to be patient," said the 63-year-old Hodgson. "They realise it is going to take time.

"They realise we can't turn things around overnight and they also realise that the team I am working with is not the team I put together.

"You don't turn things around overnight and they are aware of the magnitude of the task but they are very focused on what needs to be done and I am convinced they will help me get it done."

An area of particular concern for Hodgson is his side's poor Premier League away form, with a record so far of six defeats - the latest a 3-1 loss at Newcastle on Saturday - two draws and one win.

However, Hodgson showed signs of frustration over constant questions about his future ahead of the Europa League group game against FC Utrecht at Anfield on Wednesday.

The Reds have secured top spot in Group K and qualified for the last 32 in the competition with a game to spare.

"It doesn't bother me because I can't do more than I am doing, I can't work harder, I can't work better," added Hodgson, whose team play his former club Fulham at home in the league on Saturday evening.

"I have great confidence in my ability, I don't think there is any reason not to have.

"I know the players are working as hard as they can to win matches for Liverpool and therefore me as manager."

Story from BBC SPORT:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9287672.stm

And

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson does not fear for his job and is confident owners New England Sports Ventures will back him as he tries to turnaround the club's recent decline.

The 63 year-old has been under almost constant scrutiny since replacing Rafael Benitez in July as early results left Liverpool in the Premier League's bottom three for several weeks.

Things have picked up in recent weeks but Saturday's defeat at Newcastle did not help.

In a fans' phone-in on Monday night principal owner John Henry describing results as ''unacceptable'' and that was interpreted by some as a thinly-veiled warning to the manager.

However, Hodgson said he was in total agreement with Henry's assessment but was not concerned about his future and was confident the situation would improve, given time and the necessary investment.

''I don't have any fears, worries or concerns,'' he said.

''But if you put it to me 'You feel there is no chance whatsoever of you getting sacked' then I would be in a minority of one in that respect.

''It happened to Chris Hughton, it happened to Sam Allardyce, Martin O'Neill resigned - we are all in that situation.

''But as someone who prides himself as a professional, who knows his job and is comfortable with doing his job, then you would excuse me for not going down the route you want me to go down in terms of 'Who can we get rid of next?'.

''Because basically speaking unless there is a major inflow of cash into the club and the team is going to be changed from one moment to the next then whoever takes my place will be doing a similar job with similar players.

''The owners have made it perfectly clear they are in it for the long term and they are going to be patient; they realise it is going to take time.

''They realise we can't turn things around overnight and they also realise that the team I am working with is not the team I put together.

''You don't turn things around overnight and they are aware of the magnitude of the task but they are very focused on what needs to be done and I am convinced they will help me get it done.''

Hodgson, speaking at a press conference ahead of Wednesday's final Europa League Group K clash at home to Utrecht, was quizzed at length about his position at the club.

He became increasingly frustrated at the line of questioning, although he accepted it was something he had become used to during his short time at the club.

''Once again I come here to do a European press conference, playing Utrecht when we are top of the table, and I find myself answering questions about owners and whether I am safe - it is a sad situation,'' he added.

''I came here to do a European press conference, which I am forced to do for Uefa, when really and truly I am doing a phone-in with you

''That is the nature of the game, it seems to be the major preoccupation of the mass media because they want to see change.

''It doesn't bother me because I can't do more than I am doing, I can't work harder, I can't work better.

''I have great confidence in my ability, I don't think there is any reason not to have.

''I know the players are working as hard as they can to win matches for Liverpool and therefore me as manager.

''But if you have situations like last night when you have phone-ins to the owners you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know how that is going to go because we are not top of the league.

''Had we been top of the league it might have been different but we are not, we are ninth and we are Liverpool Football Club.

''You don't have to be Albert Einstein to work out more people will be unhappy with that than are happy with it.''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8201782/Liverpool-v-FC-Utrecht-Roy-Hodgson-says-he-has-no-fears-worries-or-concerns-about-his-Anfield-future.html
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Hodgson has no fears for future
      Reply #1: Dec 14, 2010 09:17:38 pm
      Of course it would have been different if we were top, but we are not, we are 8th, and that is sh*t, Roy. sh*t by you.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2: Dec 14, 2010 09:17:54 pm
      This is good to hear from Roy. A bit of fighting talk and self belief in himself can do a lot of good. He's made some glaring errors in the press but this is a good PR move.

What? You expect him to come out and say 'I don't believe in my ability, I am not the best man for this club.'
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #3: Dec 14, 2010 09:18:24 pm
      Of course it would have been different if we were top, but we are not, we are 8th, and that is sh*t, Roy. Sh*t by you.

9th

If anyone wants to go through the visual pain there are some head-bangingly painful videos to watch

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8201782/Liverpool-v-FC-Utrecht-Roy-Hodgson-says-he-has-no-fears-worries-or-concerns-about-his-Anfield-future.html

and

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6578304,00.html
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #4: Dec 14, 2010 09:25:11 pm
      Some of his comments are infuriating.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #5: Dec 14, 2010 09:26:41 pm
      yehyehyehred
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #6: Dec 14, 2010 09:28:30 pm
      If Roy can't do anymore than he is doing,can't work harder,can't work better,then i would suggest that unless he is sacked in the morning we are fu**ed.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7: Dec 14, 2010 09:29:09 pm
      He's scared and he's reverted back to his early excuses of it's not his team and he needs loads of money to be able to improve.

The more he's challenged the more defensive he becomes.  It's his self preservation policy of "not my fault".
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8: Dec 14, 2010 09:30:18 pm
      Of course he's not afraid. He's old, he's seen F***ing everything!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Dec 14, 2010 09:31:36 pm
      He's scared and he's reverted back to his early excuses of it's not his team and he needs loads of money to be able to improve.

The more he's challenged the more defensive he becomes.  It's his self preservation policy of "not my fault".

Yeah debs, he has gone from its not my team and it needs money. Then flitted to actually I am wrong, this is a very good team and might not need any players being bought in at all. And now decided once more the team isn't good enough and needs investment.

Excuses, excuses.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #10: Dec 14, 2010 09:31:53 pm
      Oh dear! These are bad news, I'm afraid O'Neil will not stay free forever. We may sack him later but we may not find the proper replacement then.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Dec 14, 2010 09:33:31 pm
      And crap ones at that mate.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #12: Dec 14, 2010 09:33:35 pm
      Oh dear! These are bad news, I'm afraid O'Neil will not stay free forever. We may sack him later but we may not find the proper replacement then.

Don't want Martin O'Neil anyway, he is a disrespectful c**t, a product of Clough and his long ball tactics are more anti-football than Roys!
      elnino9_Zii
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #13: Dec 14, 2010 09:35:08 pm
      Be Afraid!
      Be Very Afraid!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #14: Dec 14, 2010 09:40:29 pm
      This is good to hear from Roy. A bit of fighting talk and self belief in himself can do a lot of good. He's made some glaring errors in the press but this is a good PR move.

What? You expect him to come out and say 'I don't believe in my ability, I am not the best man for this club.'
      Frankly mr shankly you must be on a different planet.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Dec 14, 2010 09:41:55 pm
      Hodgson has faith in his ability

Roy Hodgson does not believe any other manager could get more out of the Liverpool team given current resources.

Liverpool's manager, who had "great confidence" in his ability, said "Whoever takes my place will be in a similar job with similar players."

"They realise we can't turn things around overnight and they also realise that the team I am working with is not the team I put together.

"You don't turn things around overnight and they are aware of the magnitude of the task but they are very focused on what needs to be done and I am convinced they will help me get it done."

"It doesn't bother me because I can't do more than I am doing, I can't work harder, I can't work better," added Hodgson, whose team play his former club Fulham at home in the league on Saturday evening.

"I have great confidence in my ability, I don't think there is any reason not to have.

"I know the players are working as hard as they can to win matches for ************* me as manager."

Story from BBC SPORT:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9287672.stm

And

''I don't have any fears, worries or concerns,'' he said.

''But if you put it to me
      'You feel there is no chance whatsoever of you getting sacked' then I would be in a minority of one in that respect.

''But as someone who prides himself as a professional, who knows his job and is comfortable with doing his job, then you would excuse me for not going down the route you want me to go down in terms of 'Who can we get rid of next?'.

''They realise we can't turn things around overnight and they also realise that the team I am working with is not the team I put together.

''You don't turn things around overnight and they are aware of the magnitude of the task

I can't work better.

''I have great confidence in my ability, I don't think there is any reason not to have.

It makes you cringe.

"They know the magnitude of my task"

"It aint my team"   (It aint my problem..its all down to someone else)

"Im good at what I do you know"   ( The humility of Paisley and Shankly crushes his arrogance)

"I cant work any better"        (One away win and 9th in the table. Thats it then)

"I dont have any fears worries or concerns"   (King of the bullshit. Ask any other Premier League manager that question)

This is why he is still in a job.....baffling them with bullshit.

Buying time Hodgson ......buying time.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #16: Dec 14, 2010 09:42:17 pm
      Don't want Martin O'Neil anyway, he is a disrespectful c**t, a product of Clough and his long ball tactics are more anti-football than Roys!
      I'm not sure if there's any better replacement, maybe Hughton of Newcastle? Mate we are short of solutions really...
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #17: Dec 14, 2010 09:44:25 pm
      Mo if you look at the threads with O'neils name in it you will see he is not wanted by us he is too negative and plays boring football.
      You are right that we dont have many people capable of runnig this club what a pity we got rid of one of our very best.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #18: Dec 14, 2010 09:46:24 pm
      Change the record and stop infecting every thread with this Rafa sh*te.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #19: Dec 14, 2010 09:49:08 pm
      I wish the owners would just put us out of our misery.

Every time he opens his mouth I cringe. Every time we play away from home I cringe before we've even kicked off.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #20: Dec 14, 2010 09:55:51 pm
      Reminds me of how we were overstaffed with players in the summer and we loan them out, then 2 months later we are understaffed and need players....I will give RH one thing...he is a walking train-wreck of a PR machine.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #21: Dec 14, 2010 09:58:18 pm
      see the idiots have arrived.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #22: Dec 14, 2010 10:09:00 pm
      I'd like to think that any manager in charge of Liverpool Football Club who is currently in the position he is in should be at least a bit fearful that his job is under question.

If he isn't and it looks like Roy isn't then  he is either too comfortable in his position or he really does not understand the expectations at this club not just in relation to results but to the style of football expected and how our manager acts in public.

Quick Reply