Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Jon Flanagan (Liverpool > Rangers)

Read 143142 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: John Flanagan Player Thread
      Reply #138: Aug 13, 2011 07:20:53 pm
      At loss to know why he started ahead of Kelly in today. I expect if Johnson is not fit for arsenal we will see Kelly
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #139: Aug 13, 2011 07:20:54 pm
      Shouldn't of been a penalty? F**k me lad are you serious?

It's impossible to listen to some people after we don't have an A+ performance, clearly
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #140: Aug 13, 2011 07:22:00 pm
      Bad day in the office today from the young lad still has a lot to learn,he will get better and it will take time.Cant give him to much stick for today's performance.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #141: Aug 13, 2011 07:27:52 pm
      I'm all for backing our team through thick and thin, but it's fair to say when they have a bad game.

Infact, I think it just shows how brilliant his performances have been. We all expect a high standard from the lad now, and if he has a bad game people are critical.

I think John would be the first to admit that he had a bad game today and he needs to improve. He's young, and his time on his side, so you expect a few errors from players with his age and lack of experience.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #142: Aug 13, 2011 07:29:57 pm
      Shouldn't of been a penalty? F**k me lad are you serious?

It's impossible to listen to some people after we don't have an A+ performance, clearly

No, I don't think it was a penalty. It was a very soft penalty. His arm came across Luis' back, and he Luis went down extremely quickly and easily...

But that isn't the point. It's not 'impossible to listen to some people', Flanagan was just pathetic, and I'm not going to sugar coat it because he's young. I will be very surprised to see him retain his place next week, and that will prove that Kenny knows he had a shocker too.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,506 posts | 2871 
      Reply #143: Aug 13, 2011 07:37:01 pm
      When you play youngsters at the back you have to accept that they will make mistakes and occasionally cost you goals. It's how they get better and develop.

Flanno will know he was very poor today and he'll probably know he'll be dropped for next weekend but that will only make him hungrier to work hard in training and get back in the team.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #144: Aug 13, 2011 08:39:07 pm
      I'm sure Flanno will be the first to admit he had an absolute shocker today, the early yellow didn't help, definitely needs to work on when to put that aggression into the challenge as you could visibly see him holding back on a lot of challenges after that but doesn't excuse the shocking amount of space Seb got and he'll be more than aware of that. Do think Kelly should get the call for the next game though as he's also done nothing wrong for us and deserves his chance to force Flanno to fight for it back, although if Johnson is fit again he should be first choice of course.

He's 18 and should take this on board and fight to eliminate the mistakes, if you can take the plaudits you can take the criticism too.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #145: Aug 13, 2011 08:40:51 pm
      I'm glad Kenny didn't haul him off. Tough game for him to learn from. Lucas seemed to work more to protect him after Flano was targeted in the second half
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #146: Aug 13, 2011 08:48:54 pm
      Good to see our fans getting behind the young lad after his first bad performance in a red shirt.

Some f**king embarrassing comments on here.
      This.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #147: Aug 13, 2011 09:31:43 pm
      Yup kind of like this post
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #148: Aug 13, 2011 09:51:30 pm
      Good to see our fans getting behind the young lad after his first bad performance in a red shirt.

Some f**king embarrassing comments on here.

They're embarrassing and they're also incorrect, which is never a good combo. He got sucked under the ball a bit for the goal, but if you are going to get it wrong positionally you're always better as a fullback tucking in than going out. There's absolutely no certainty at all that had he been two or three yards closer to Larrsson (which is about where he should have been) that the fella wouldn't still have buried it. As it was, he's hit a waist high volley first time, sweet as a nut from a tight angle and scored a very good goal.

Those that don'e know and can't see are hammering the young kid for a relatively minor positional error. Joke really. 
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #149: Aug 13, 2011 11:02:05 pm

They're embarrassing and they're also incorrect, which is never a good combo. He got sucked under the ball a bit for the goal, but if you are going to get it wrong positionally you're always better as a fullback tucking in than going out. There's absolutely no certainty at all that had he been two or three yards closer to Larrsson (which is about where he should have been) that the fella wouldn't still have buried it. As it was, he's hit a waist high volley first time, sweet as a nut from a tight angle and scored a very good goal.

Those that don'e know and can't see are hammering the young kid for a relatively minor positional error. Joke really. 

I dont think the entire criticism is revolving around that one error, he didn't play well especially in the second half. He's got a lot to learn obviously, but just because he's young doesn't mean we can't point out he's had a bad game. He'll improve because he has the right mind set, everyone has bad games.

That being said, I agree with corbally and others who don't know why he started over Kelly. But that was Kenny's decision, and in any case I think we'll be very tough to beat once Glen gets back into the lineup because as it has been pointed out Flanno looks really nervous on the ball and doesn't offer much going forward.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #150: Aug 13, 2011 11:18:42 pm
      'the 3 points' is a win. he cost us a win, therefore cost us 'the 3 points'...

All on his little ownsome, Flanno you useless sack of ...  it's ALL YOUR FAULT, BUT wait a minute, weren't there 10 other players on the pitch?  Surely it's Suarez's fault because he missed the peno?  Or Carroll for tickling Ferdinand and having his goal disallowed?  Or Downing for hitting the woodwork?   :roll:

Or maybe the entire team having a poor second half?

Come off it Joey, he didn't cost us the win to be fair, he was at fault for the goal and had a difficult second half.  Let's just hope it all adds to his learning experience.  This young man can be a real player for us, he's done pretty well so far.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #151: Aug 14, 2011 01:37:12 am

John Flanagan is an very talented kid, and he is very likely to become our starting right back for many years to come ... The only problem is, he nowhere near ready for the starting spot at the moment ... He should be returned to the Reserves, where he should be playing against opposition his age, especially in the NextGen tournament ...
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #152: Aug 14, 2011 02:20:19 am
      He is an extremely promising young player but at his age and with the limited experience he has had, to expect perfection every time he plays is too much.  Had a difficult game yesterday, but he will I am sure that the experience he is getting now will be invaluable in the years to come.

Remember how old he is, how good we know he can be and that he is still in reality our 3rd choice right back (Johnson, Kelly)....
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #153: Aug 14, 2011 02:51:46 am
      he has to learn to get better, its good to see after spending all the money kenny has faith in an 18 year old local right back.
      Bjay
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #154: Aug 14, 2011 03:50:46 am
      Flanagan will learn from this has bags of potential but he is not yet ready why not send him out on loan to gain experience so that when mistakes are made they cost other teams not us as well as him gaining the 1st team experience to become our long term rb
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #155: Aug 14, 2011 04:45:50 am
      It's fair to say he was at fault yesterday, but he will learn from it having only had less than 10 first-team appearances under his belt. Naturally, nerves will be kicking in considering he's only 18 and thrust into the season opener. I'm sure he'll mature as a player, he's a very fine prospect and I'm sure he'll emerge from this experience stronger.

Sometimes the problem with sending these players out on loan is that you can't monitor their progress, especially if he's one for the future and one who might save you millions in the future. For me, it's a bit of a risk to entrust a hot prospect in someone else's hands without knowing what might happen.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #156: Aug 14, 2011 06:40:48 am

""Sometimes the problem with sending these players out on loan is that you can't monitor their progress, especially if he's one for the future and one who might save you millions in the future. For me, it's a bit of a risk to entrust a hot prospect in someone else's hands without knowing what might happen".
       All of this and that is why we should be keeping Ayala and not flogging him off to Norwich. He is one like Flannagan who could and should be mainstay's in the team for year's to come.
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2011 06:45:55 am by daveyd, Reason: forgot to put in my quote »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #157: Aug 14, 2011 06:52:47 am
      May have a bright future but it was a bad call to start him ahead of Kelly yesterday.  I said it in the pre game thread
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,889 posts | 6819 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #158: Aug 14, 2011 07:16:42 am
      Had a very off game today, can't remember him making as many mistakes during the amount of all games he played last season as he did in last nights match.

He'll learn from it and if he's selected against the Arse, let's hope he has a stormer to make up for yesterday's performance.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #159: Aug 14, 2011 07:21:11 am
      Really hope he doesn't start against arsenal
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,889 posts | 6819 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #160: Aug 14, 2011 07:23:00 am
      Really hope he doesn't start against arsenal

Yeah I know mate but where is Johnson and Kelly. If they ain't fit who slots in there?

We'd have to hope Skrtel is back and that way Carra can go out to RB.

Quick Reply