Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Cover for Suarez and Carroll?

Read 16107 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Cover for Suarez and Carroll?
      Mar 22, 2011 10:34:37 am
       So going forward, being optimistic, lets say that we have a dream strike partnership with Suarez and Carroll. I actually think they will be excellent anyway so it's no leap of faith for me, but lets assume that for once I'm right and they sweep all before them. Assuming though that they can't/won't play every game, the question is do we already have adequate cover in the squad already, or do we need to sign someone else and if so what type of player/players should he be, and who is it?

Looking at the "cover already there" angle, I guess we're looking at Kuyt for Carroll and even possibly Suarez (I know but he'll give it a go if you ask him), or N'Gog (I know). I suppose there is a chance as well that one of the kids could be about to burst onto the scene, Fowler or Owen style.

My guess is though that we need someone else. I'd favour going for a player who could kind of fill either role, not as good as either player but could adequaltely do a job alongside either.

I'm going to be controversial/get laughed at with my first choice, and it's Kevin Doyle. I like him and think he's improved a lot. He plays the target man role well, and is good enough to drop in and off. He looks like a good pro to me who would come even knowing he isn't going to start every match, and I think in a good team he'd be a good player. Now I know people will do this :lmao: but that's entirely their privilage.

My second choice would be Nicholas Bendtner, followed by Emanuel Adebayor and Frederique Piqione. I'm not saying I rate the players in that order (because Adebayor is the best out of the four by quite a way), but I think they would suit us best in that order. I haven't put any foreign based players in (aside from the Real Madrid loanee), because I watch very little foreign football.

What's your thoughts. Do we need cover or do we already have it?
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2011 03:02:05 pm by paulrobbo »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Cover for Suarez and Caroll?
      Reply #1: Mar 22, 2011 10:40:47 am
      Being Irish and completely biased I'd have Doyle here as back up. Wouldn't go near Bendtner - Not great and has a ridiculous ego for such an average player. Don't think Adebayor would have the right attitude to sit on our bench and wait for his opportunity.

Other than that I think we have finally got some good options with Carroll, Suarez and Kuyt. A damn fine improvement over the last couple of years.
      Would like to see another LF/Winger brought in to compliment that bunch and then I think we have enough about us upfront to allow us to throw some youth players into the mix on occasions like the Cups next year.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #2: Mar 22, 2011 10:44:46 am
      Depends on where you see us doing business in the summer. I think most people on here think N'gog will be shipped out and that if we sign a right sided midfield player then Kuyt's days are numbered. You then have to decide do you hang on to him as a back up striker / rotation player or say thanks for your efforts and move him on.
      Personally I think we have enough issues at enough other positions (please God don't let that include GK) that we should hang on to Kuyt and use him in the role assuming that he will be happy to do this as it will clearly hamper his chances in the Dutch national team.
      As to the people you mentioned Bender and AdeyBarndoor won't accept being back up players (despite the fact that that is all they really are capable of) and I don't think Doyle or Piqione are good enough.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Mar 22, 2011 10:53:24 am
      If we really wanted to make a statement and have almost like for like replacements Lavezzi and Llorente would be ideal, however I wouldn't envisage that happening. ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #4: Mar 22, 2011 11:12:25 am
      I was thinking Doyle when I seen your title Mick. Very good striker and capable cover but as Redbood says Id really like us to signal intent and get someone like Llorente.

Hugo Rodellga is another I like and would be a good player to have in reserve.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: Mar 22, 2011 11:17:44 am
      I like Kevin Doyle!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #6: Mar 22, 2011 11:19:22 am
      The problem is, both Suarez and Carroll are pretty individual footballers.  You will always struggle to get an ideal back up that can fill in for both.

Ideally one of the kids could take the step up to the first team, it would be nice to picture one day Pacheco as an understudy to Suarez.  As for Carroll, one man who hasn't been tried up front (and it is actually his positition) is Jovanovic.

But realistically any 3rd striker should probably be English because of the Euro rules.  We are in a much better position now than we were with just Torres, so I see no reason why someone from the reserves shouldn't be handed 10 minutes here or there.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #7: Mar 22, 2011 11:20:16 am
      Kevin Doyle runs the line well and holds up the ball well but doesn't score anywhere near enough goals for the money Wolves would be looking for
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #8: Mar 22, 2011 11:28:55 am
      Kevin Doyle runs the line well and holds up the ball well but doesn't score anywhere near enough goals for the money Wolves would be looking for
      In fairness to him though Wolves and Ireland dont exactly create chance after chance for him so who's to say that if he was playing with better players he would'nt get his fair share of goals
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #9: Mar 22, 2011 11:34:13 am
      Spending £30m to relegate a £35m signing to the bench is probably a little overkill considering we don't have a LB in the team, don't you think.  There are other areas to address, we've got Kuyt/Jovanovic/N'Gog who can do a job - certainly not a priority.

edit: Not to mention it would probably stifle Carroll's development a little too and we'd probably be aiming for maximum return from him having paid such a premium to secure his services.  Also, don't think there's a problem with switching to a 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 if one of them is injured and sufficient cover isn't available.
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2011 12:08:02 pm by vitez »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #10: Mar 22, 2011 11:39:49 am
      Spending £30m to relegate a £35m signing to the bench is probably a little overkill considering we don't have a LB in the team, don't you think.  There are other areas to address, we've got Kuyt/Jovanovic/N'Gog who can do a job - certainly not a priority.

This !

It's a LB & a couple of wingers we need !
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #11: Mar 22, 2011 12:00:08 pm
      Not a priority for me. Wingers and CB are the most important
      Harry_Beadles
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      • He who laughs last didn't get it.
      Reply #12: Mar 22, 2011 12:08:58 pm
      We have some good young players who haven' touched the pitch. I'd prefer it if they where given a chance first and we strengthen in other areas eg LB and wingers. If the youngsters turn out to be sh*t then think about a back up.

thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #13: Mar 22, 2011 12:33:39 pm
      Scott Sinclair would be my choice, English and can play on the wing to.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,985 posts | 5044 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #14: Mar 22, 2011 12:41:43 pm
      Tevez- Welcome to Liverpool bill posters all up the East Lancs- piss the Mancs right off   :lmao:  :lmao:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #15: Mar 22, 2011 12:47:49 pm
      Daniel Surridge perhaps, maybe Saloman Kalou. Both out of favour at Chelsea, Sturridge has been impressive with Bolton since his move on loan. Kalou always seems to score when he plays.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #16: Mar 22, 2011 12:48:12 pm
      Im with JD on sticking Jovanovic upfront if need.

Not really been given a fair chance here.  Of course he just couldnt be impressing in training.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #17: Mar 22, 2011 12:51:49 pm
      Im with JD on sticking Jovanovic upfront if need.

Not really been given a fair chance here.  Of course he just couldnt be impressing in training.
      I've been saying we need to play Jovanovic but on the wing atleast till the end of the season, we lack a player who will get their head down and run at a player.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #18: Mar 22, 2011 02:55:22 pm
      I've been saying we need to play Jovanovic but on the wing atleast till the end of the season, we lack a player who will get their head down and run at a player.

but that is his trouble. the head goes down, but doesnt come back up again. bit like milan baros.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #19: Mar 22, 2011 03:02:03 pm
      but that is his trouble. the head goes down, but doesnt come back up again. bit like milan baros.

Who still scored 19 goals in 68 appearances. 

Jovanovic has scored 10 in 33 for Serbia (with the majority coming from the left wing), has shown his desire to fight for a place in the team, simply cannot understand why he hasn't been given a chance to prove himself.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #20: Mar 22, 2011 03:03:07 pm
      I think and hope we'll get rid of N'Gog and sign a better young talented backup striker. Besides that at least 2 wingers, and hopefully at least 1 of them is capable of playing in a central forward role if needed aswell. That would leave us Carroll, Suarez, Kuyt, new young striker, new winger/forward to play in the striker positions.

I don't think we'll sign an expensive striker to be on the bench, our money is better spend on first 11 players like wingers who don't come cheap either. And a young talented striker won't initially mind being benched either.

edit:

On Jovanovic. The thought crossed my mind that he isn't being played because we really want to get rid of him and his wages. Play him now and he'll be happy to stay here next season and sees no reason to leave this summer. But now he knows he'll never get to play here and will want to leave this summer. It's what I would do to Jovanovic and Cole, harsh as it may be.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #21: Mar 22, 2011 03:03:11 pm
      Agreed with both - we need cover there and there are other priorities. But after getting a Left Back, two Wingers, a Defensive Midfielder and a Center back, why not try for someone that would come cheap and do a job when coming from the bench ;). Rodalllega or Kevin Doyle would be fine for me.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Cover for Suarez and Carroll?
      Reply #22: Mar 22, 2011 03:26:52 pm
      Looking at Jovanovich's last game (and most of his games), i wouldn't want him anywhere near the first team.

N'gog can do a job but so inconsistent and stagnated in his development.

Kuyt is probably the only cover we have right now who i'd be fine with to fill in up top.

Too long we've had N'gog's, Jovanovich's etc. who 'can do a job' but in all honesty, they haven't. They've been poor for us and one reason for our lack of bite in attack. I think we need someone new and to actually push the players we have to improve and fight for a spot, not to know they are back up and that's the end of the situation. The Mancs have three strikers vying for two or one spot in the side, Chelsea the same and could possibly even say 4 strikers, Arsenal the same deal there. We have two strikers for two spots and the rest are not up to it.

Need someone with talent to push the players we have. Not to be a last resort.

Quick Reply