Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Scott Dann (Birmingham)

Read 31681 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Scott Dann (Birmingham)
      Reply #230: Jul 29, 2011 11:41:07 pm
      Cahill is better. Dann has got better since he has been injured. Would be a good signing for stoke not a top 4 side
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #231: Jul 30, 2011 12:15:05 am
      Cahill is better. Dann has got better since he has been injured. Would be a good signing for stoke not a top 4 side

I keep hearing this about Dann has got better since he's been injured and it's simply not true. Just like Henderson I was talking up Dann before I even knew he was a scouser and the fact that he carried Roger Johnson all season is why.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #232: Jul 30, 2011 04:30:32 pm
      As a Red, he would deffo come to LFC ahead of any other offers. £10m, sign him up.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #233: Jul 30, 2011 10:33:43 pm
      Can't say I've watched an awful lot of him, but what I do recall he's an excellent defender and the numbers speak for themselves if you look at what Birmingham conceded with him in the team and when he wasn't. Believe he is our fall back option though and not our prime target, hope I'm not being disrespectful to him there and if we do end up with him I'd be happy, would certainly be an improvement on Skrtel and Carra/Agger/Dann would make a nice trio to compete for centre with Skrtel hopefully not spitting his dummy out and pushing to get in the mix.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #234: Jul 31, 2011 12:59:04 am
      Can't say I've watched an awful lot of him, but what I do recall he's an excellent defender and the numbers speak for themselves if you look at what Birmingham conceded with him in the team and when he wasn't. Believe he is our fall back option though and not our prime target, hope I'm not being disrespectful to him there and if we do end up with him I'd be happy, would certainly be an improvement on Skrtel and Carra/Agger/Dann would make a nice trio to compete for centre with Skrtel hopefully not spitting his dummy out and pushing to get in the mix.
      ;D at the Skrtel bit :laughing-smiley-014:
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #235: Jul 31, 2011 10:51:13 am
      I don't understand why Skrtel gets so much stick, I have to wonder whether people are actually watching Liverpool play or just listening to pundits who would rate him 10x higher if he played for Utd.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #236: Jul 31, 2011 10:59:34 am
      Skrtel is a much better player than dann only problem he has is he isnt english
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #237: Jul 31, 2011 11:48:23 am
      Skrtel is a much better player than dann only problem he has is he isnt english

Haha, touche.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #238: Jul 31, 2011 12:49:41 pm
      Reds close to £12m defender deal

Fresh reports linking Liverpool with a move for Scott Dann have emerged this morning, speculating that Kenny Dalglish could steal the Birmingham City defender away because of his current employers' dire financial situation.

24 year-old Dann has been an alleged target for Liverpool and Arsenal throughout this summer, though Arsenal are thought to be far more interested in the potential acquisition of Phil Jagielka.

Indeed, just today Arsene Wenger has made a £15 million bid for the Everton centre-back.

Dann is a lifelong Liverpool fan and would understandably jump at the chance of a move to Anfield to work under Kop legend Dalglish, who is a known admirer of him.

The Liverpool boss is looking to bolster his defence after injuries last season saw his back-line stretched for large parts of the year.

Although the academy players who stepped in - namely Martin Kelly, Jack Robinson and John Flanagan - themselves well, Dalglish is keen to add more experienced defenders.

Liverpool's transfer policy of recruiting young British players - highlighted by the £35m purchase of Andy Carroll and the recent buys of Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing - means Dann certainly fits the profile.

Source: SportsVibe
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #239: Jul 31, 2011 02:18:20 pm
      This rumour is gathering pace in the last few days.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #240: Jul 31, 2011 02:21:14 pm
      Personally I believe and was told this deal will happen and the reason it's the last deal to happen is because the club already know that Dann only wants to play for us because he knows we are interested.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #241: Jul 31, 2011 02:23:05 pm
      Personally I believe and was told this deal will happen and the reason it's the last deal to happen is because the club already know that Dann only wants to play for us because he knows we are interested.

And maybe we are trying to get him as late as possible, to make the price as low as possible, or even waiting for deadwood to be released, to bring in the funds for LB and CB.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #242: Jul 31, 2011 02:23:47 pm
      And maybe we are trying to get him as late as possible, to make the price as low as possible, or even waiting for deadwood to be released, to bring in the funds for LB and CB.

I'd say it's a bit of both.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      Reply #243: Jul 31, 2011 02:24:46 pm

Just hope we don't leave it too late, as it is essential that we bring in at least another 2 defenders IMO.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #244: Jul 31, 2011 02:26:10 pm
      Just hope we don't leave it too late, as it is essential that we bring in at least another 2 defenders IMO.

Couldn't agree more. I have this horrible feeling that Kenny is going to play Johnson at left back ...
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #245: Jul 31, 2011 02:26:12 pm
      People know I'm not a big fan of the lad but a genuine question for people that do rate him, what are the qualities that you think make him a potential top 4 centre half and do you also think he is good enough to be a regular at the club.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      Reply #246: Jul 31, 2011 02:34:59 pm
      Couldn't agree more. I have this horrible feeling that Kenny is going to play Johnson at left back ...

Personally i would prefer that, then playing Insua there, i have faith in Flanagan, it is juts the CB's i am worried about, they lack technical ability on the floor and tend to lump it forward.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #247: Jul 31, 2011 02:40:18 pm
      People know I'm not a big fan of the lad but a genuine question for people that do rate him, what are the qualities that you think make him a potential top 4 centre half and do you also think he is good enough to be a regular at the club.

First off he's brilliant in the air from setpieces which is something we really really need. He reads the game well and doesn't dive in to challenges but when it comes to last ditch tackles and blocks he won't shy away but for the most part his strength and positioning as well as well timed tackles is enough for him to win the ball. He's better on the deck than he gets credit for but he's no ball playing cb, just comfortable enough for it not to be a problem but he can look cumbersome.

Basically he's more of a Hyypia last line sit at home defender so whoever he played next to would be someone I'd expect to have a bit more mobility and be able to make interceptions. He made Johnson look a lot better than he was as his positional nouse allowed Johnson to hare round like a man possessed because he knew Dann was there behind.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #248: Jul 31, 2011 03:24:22 pm
      So, as things stand, are we basically saying this is as good as done?
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #249: Jul 31, 2011 03:24:32 pm

When you read his profile his playing career been marred by injuries at some time and recently following surgery on a hamstring damaged in the League Cup semi-final in January 2011, he was ruled out for the remainder of the season and they say his absence was one of the main factor why the Blues relegated.

But if you ask me you can always expect 110% commitment and performance from the local lads than others and I've believed in this. He's got potential possibly not as a top 4 CBs but you can always expect him to perform well enough not to score an own goal at least :(

Playing career

Walsall

Dann joined Walsall in 2003 as a junior after impressing on trial at the Bescot Stadium, signing a professional contract with the Saddlers the following year. He moved up the ranks at Walsall to become a regular in the reserve team throughout 2004–05 and was allowed to join Danish side Køge BK on loan towards the end of the campaign.

Dann then joined Conference North side Redditch United on loan in October 2005 initially until the end of the season, but he was recalled in January 2006. He then Joined Redditch's league rivals Hednesford Town on loan following injuries to their regular centre backs Richard Teesdale and Ian Wright. He played in three games for the Pitmen against Hucknall Town, Stafford Rangers and Lancaster City before injury put an end to his loan spell at Keys Park. He returned to Walsall and was put on a short-term contract for the 2006–07 season, where he has earned his place in the starting line-up with a number of excellent performances at the back. His season was ended in March 2007 after picking up a metatarsal injury in the game against Milton Keynes Dons.

As reward for his outstanding season for the Saddlers, who were promoted as League Two Champions, Dann was given a three year contract to commit him to the club and to ward off interest from a number of clubs higher up in the league.

Coventry City

His form in League One was equally as impressive as the previous season, so it was little surprise that in January 2008 Dann joined Coventry City for an undisclosed fee, suggested in the media to be "in excess of £1,000,000". His impressive form for the Saddlers continued in the Championship for the Sky Blues alongside former Walsall team-mate Daniel Fox, who had also moved to the Ricoh Arena. He helped the club narrowly avoid relegation. The England set-up had seen enough in Dann and Fox to decide they were ready to make the step up to international level, with both players making their U-21 debuts in March 2008 against Poland at Molineux.

Dann was appointed captain of Coventry City for the 2008–09 season.

Birmingham City

Dann signed for Birmingham City on 12 June 2009 for an undisclosed fee, described as a "club record fee for a defender"; local press reports suggest the fee to be in the region of £3.5 million with a possible increase to £4 million with performance based add ons. Surgery during the summer and then a pulled thigh muscle meant Dann was not fully match fit when an injury to Franck Queudrue gave him the chance to make his Premier League debut on 19 September at Hull City. Birmingham won 1–0, and Dann played well and retained his place in the starting eleven.

At Christmas 2009, The Times' correspondent Patrick Barclay described Dann and defensive partner Roger Johnson as "certainties" for his team of the season so far. His first goal for Birmingham came against Derby County in the FA Cup on 13 February 2010, during a run of 15 games unbeaten in all competitions, including a club record 12 unbeaten in the top flight. A calf injury sustained in training caused him to miss the last three games of the season as the club finished in ninth place, their best for more than 50 years.

Dann scored the opening goal as Birmingham beat a Hong Kong XI 3–2 in an invitation match branded the Xtep Cup, part of the club's 2010 pre-season tour of the Far East, and his first Premier League goal, a header from a Sebastian Larsson cross, on the opening weekend of the 2010–11 season as Birmingham drew 2–2 away at Sunderland.

Following surgery on a hamstring damaged in the League Cup semi-final in January 2011, Dann was ruled out for the remainder of the season.

Wikipedia
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #250: Jul 31, 2011 03:27:54 pm
      You could tell straight away he was a class above at Coventry.

He's basically had a gradual progression that looks set to continue. He's the kind of defender for me who will be at his best around 30 as pace isn't the thing that sets him apart, again like Sami.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #251: Jul 31, 2011 03:49:44 pm
      Want to hurry up and get the rest of our targets in,especially our defence,leaked a lot of goals during pre-season.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #252: Jul 31, 2011 05:45:43 pm
      Didnt realise he was so injury prone

Quick Reply