Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Scott Dann (Birmingham)

Read 31485 times
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Re: Scott Dann (Birmingham)
      Reply #253: Jul 31, 2011 06:46:03 pm
      Didnt realise he was so injury prone

He's not really.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #254: Jul 31, 2011 11:39:05 pm
      With Skrtel injured atm, Carra aging, Soto sh*te, Kelly young and needed at RB and Agger crocked, we need to move quickly to get him or Cahill or some centre-back in to the club.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #255: Aug 01, 2011 12:40:30 am
      You could tell straight away he was a class above at Coventry.

He's basically had a gradual progression that looks set to continue. He's the kind of defender for me who will be at his best around 30 as pace isn't the thing that sets him apart, again like Sami.
      Do you think he could be a decent sweeper then?
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #256: Aug 01, 2011 09:42:31 am
      Birmingham have just signed Spector, centre back from the hammers. This Dann deal might be close

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_7075375,00.html
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #257: Aug 01, 2011 12:06:48 pm
      Hope so. :mixed-smiley-009:
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #258: Aug 01, 2011 01:41:56 pm
      im not his biggest admirer either corbally but im not downings, hendersons, carrolls or adams either but I believe they will bring something to our team, id put dann in that category too.

• Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #259: Aug 01, 2011 01:47:30 pm
      im not his biggest admirer either corbally but im not downings, hendersons, carrolls or adams either but I believe they will bring something to our team, id put dann in that category too.

That's it, on the world stage there are a lot of players I would much rather have and Godin tops the realistic list on that score, however you know Dann will improve this squad and give his all week in week out just like Downing, Adam, Henderson and Carroll and for that reason coupled with he's a talented player on his own merit I'd love to see this deal done. If it was a realistic choice between him and Godin though, no contest.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #260: Aug 01, 2011 01:53:16 pm
      Will someone explain to me why cahill is not realistic he is better than dann
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #261: Aug 01, 2011 01:57:08 pm
      Will someone explain to me why cahill is not realistic he is better than dann

I don't believe he is. The main thing we need more than anything is aerial presence and Dann is much better in the air than Cahill. Cahill is better with the ball at his feet granted but apart from that Dann is equal to him at the very least in every other department.
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #262: Aug 01, 2011 01:59:43 pm
      Maybe price?

Cahill has a cap or two now and his price has rocketed, like it does. Theres also interest from other clubs according to various sources.

Dann is a championship player now, i haven't heard or seen much interest in him, hes a red and wants a move to us, simple cheap deal.

Hes a similar sort of player to Carragher and i reckon a season or two playing along side and training with him Dann would transfer into a top defender. Hes already decent.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #263: Aug 01, 2011 02:03:04 pm
      Dann is your run of the mill english centre half. Cahill has more to his game. He is very comfortable in possession decent in the air and very quick. I think we need pace at the back more than anything. The price being quoted for cahill at the moment is 20 million im willing to bet that has become much lower coming closer to the end of the window
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #264: Aug 01, 2011 02:04:07 pm
      Maybe price?

Cahill has a cap or two now and his price has rocketed, like it does. Theres also interest from other clubs according to various sources.

Dann is a championship player now, I haven't heard or seen much interest in him, hes a red and wants a move to us, simple cheap deal.

Hes a similar sort of player to Carragher and I reckon a season or two playing along side and training with him Dann would transfer into a top defender. Hes already decent.

He is similar to Carragher but there's a reason he could be better. Height and aerial presence, the two things that Carragher struggles with. If Carragher was Hyypia's size he could probably play another 3 years because he like the big Finn would be able to stop attacks before they start by just being in the right place at the right time. Dann is very adept at doing this and anyone who has played against him knows they have been in a game due to the way he can throw people off the ball with his strength but fairly.

Found this to give some people an idea of what kind of player he is incase they didn't know :

Scott Dann vs. Chelsea
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #265: Aug 01, 2011 02:11:34 pm
       Well it's to be hoped he's better than you see on that clip if we are going to buy him.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #266: Aug 01, 2011 02:13:16 pm
      Well it's to be hoped he's better than you see on that clip if we are going to buy him.

He had an excellent game in that clip but he'd have to learn to use the ball better here. Birmingham won the game 1-0.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #267: Aug 01, 2011 02:13:55 pm
      Why what's he done wrong in that clip?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #268: Aug 01, 2011 02:17:03 pm
      That is the most posted youtube clip ive seen on liverpool sites this summer. The first thing he is does is mis control a simple ball back and have to make a last ditch tackle. All dann has on cahill is height when ive watched him as well he is similar to carragher in he likes the long ball
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #269: Aug 01, 2011 02:19:23 pm
      That is the most posted youtube clip ive seen on liverpool sites this summer. The first thing he is does is mis control a simple ball back and have to make a last ditch tackle. All dann has on cahill is height when ive watched him as well he is similar to carragher in he likes the long ball

He's hardly the first player to miscontrol a ball from the kick off, Emerson did it at Anfield when we beat Juventus, I suppose he was a waste of space as well.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #270: Aug 01, 2011 02:20:08 pm
      Why what's he done wrong in that clip?

Well he opens up by miscontrolling a routine pass and having to bale himself out of bother. You don't need centre halves who that over often. In possession nine times out of ten he recieves it on the edge of his own box and nine times out of ten plays the same out ball, out to the left midfielder. "Pass completion" devotees will love the fact that the ball gets there, but others might wonder if in a team which will have to defend much higher whether oir noit he will be a good enough footballer to prosper. He's clumsy and inexperienced for the free kick he gives away (although it's arguably a harsh award) and he gets wrong side for one ball near the end.

He doesn't look like a donkey based on that, but neither does he look like a World beater either.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #271: Aug 01, 2011 02:22:18 pm
      What are u on about u post what appears to be the only clip on dann on youtube to show how good he is and the first thing he does is make a awful touch from a simple ball back. What are you bringing emerson into it for
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #272: Aug 01, 2011 02:24:01 pm
      Well he opens up by miscontrolling a routine pass and having to bale himself out of bother. You don't need centre halves who that over often. In possession nine times out of ten he recieves it on the edge of his own box and nine times out of ten plays the same out ball, out to the left midfielder. "Pass completion" devotees will love the fact that the ball gets there, but others might wonder if in a team which will have to defend much higher whether oir noit he will be a good enough footballer to prosper. He's clumsy and inexperienced for the free kick he gives away (although it's arguably a harsh award) and he gets wrong side for one ball near the end.

He doesn't look like a donkey based on that, but neither does he look like a World beater either.

Clumsy and inexperienced? It's a blatant dive and he wins the ball as fairly as it is possible to do so. He would have to improve with the ball but anyone that saw him for Coventry knows he is better than on that showing and a lot of his "hoofing" is from orders I'd say, especially when Zigic is the target of said hoof. As for he passes to his left back, so what? Show me any cb that doesn't use their full backs.

It's one clip that gives you an idea of what his strengths and weaknesses are it doesn't come close to painting the full picture and also there's a reason why he's being tracked by Chelsea and Arsenal as well as ourselves, all teams that will play higher up the pitch by the way.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,451 posts | 8657 
      Reply #273: Aug 01, 2011 02:26:57 pm
      Well he opens up by miscontrolling a routine pass and having to bale himself out of bother. You don't need centre halves who that over often. In possession nine times out of ten he recieves it on the edge of his own box and nine times out of ten plays the same out ball, out to the left midfielder. "Pass completion" devotees will love the fact that the ball gets there, but others might wonder if in a team which will have to defend much higher whether oir noit he will be a good enough footballer to prosper.

You really must of hated Hamman then, with all then five yard completed passes he made then!!

Or what's the other phrase oh yeah "Keeping it simple"
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #274: Aug 01, 2011 02:27:58 pm
      Haha is that video clip a piss take??

What qualities are you supposed to see from that? Him knocking the ball about when the closest Chelsea player is 20 yards away, making a bundling foul on Kalou and ending up on his arse in 2 aerial duels with Drogba.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #275: Aug 01, 2011 02:32:12 pm
      Clumsy and inexperienced? It's a blatant dive and he wins the ball as fairly as it is possible to do so. He would have to improve with the ball but anyone that saw him for Coventry knows he is better than on that showing and a lot of his "hoofing" is from orders I'd say, especially when Zigic is the target of said hoof. As for he passes to his left back, so what? Show me any cb that doesn't use their full backs.

It's one clip that gives you an idea of what his strengths and weaknesses are it doesn't come close to painting the full picture and also there's a reason why he's being tracked by Chelsea and Arsenal as well as ourselves, all teams that will play higher up the pitch by the way.

I'm reluctant to even engage in discussion someone who thinks Phil Jagielka is the best centre half in the league, but lets go against opur better judgement and have a look at it.

I'm not disputing the free kick he gives away is "won" by the fall, but he gives the attacker license to do that by coming at the ball from the wrong angle.He doesn't need to "win the ball" fairly or otherwise, the pass is into an area where he can't get to it given the attackers body position, and he makes a mistake by trying. As for his passing, I never accused him of "hoofing" the ball. I simply made the point that his natural out ball in this particular clip is the same one every time, AND he has time to consider his options.

I agree it's just one clip, but I didn't post it up. That's why I said "it's to be hoped he's better than this", simply because the clip isn't that impressive.

Quick Reply