Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Pepe staying!

Read 8731 times
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Pepe staying!
      May 13, 2011 11:32:58 am
      Another piece of good news

Pepe Staying
      José Reina, has said his future is at Anfield and that he believes Liverpool are heading in the "right direction" under the management of Kenny Dalglish.

When Dalglish, who on Thursday signed a three-year contract to become permanent manager, was brought in on an initial temporary basis in January to replace the sacked Roy Hodgson, the situation at Anfield looked bleak. Liverpool were 12th in the Premier League, only four points above the relegation zone.

Fernando Torres then secured his £50m transfer to Chelsea, and it appeared his Spain team-mate Reina would be next out of the door.

But, in just over four months, the 28-year-old goalkeeper has been persuaded by results on the pitch and a change in atmosphere that he can still fulfil his ambitions at Anfield.

"I am looking forward to next season. I have always said [that] – of course there was a bit of doubt back in December and January because we were not even close to where we are now," Reina said.

"We have had excellent news on Kenny's contract, Steve Clarke's [who also signed a three-year deal as first-team coach] and all of the technical staff. We are heading in the right direction and we are optimistic.

"I think by making the right steps and taking them, we can all see the difference between now and then. That's why we are now optimistic about the future and are looking forward."

Liverpool are now fifth in the table and victory over Tottenham on Sunday at Anfield will secure Europa League football for next season.

Liverpool's recent form has prompted talk of Liverpool being able to mount a title challenge next season – a scenario which would have been met with ridicule at the turn of the year.

Reina is confident they will improve but will not get carried away. "We have to be calm because we know how hard it is to compete with the big teams out there," he said. "Fifth position is not the one that belongs to Liverpool, we aim higher and hopefully next season we can finish higher.

"We are all looking forward to next season, but we have to finish the job on Sunday. By winning we will mathematically be sure of fifth and that is our target – to beat Tottenham, make sure we get into Europe for next season and then get some rest, which I think we deserve as well."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/13/liverpool-pepe-reina

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011 07:43:28 pm by redkenny, Reason: Please include the text from the article when starting a new topic »
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Re: Pepe staying !
      Reply #1: May 13, 2011 11:33:28 am
      you beat me to it
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #2: May 13, 2011 11:33:33 am
      Old news.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #3: May 13, 2011 11:37:13 am
      Never thought he was going anywhere to be honest with you, but great news either way !
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: May 13, 2011 11:41:34 am
      Does this mean I can get a goalie jersey with Reina on the back yet? ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #5: May 13, 2011 11:48:18 am
      All falling into place now.

As the song says "come on baby let the good times roll"
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #6: May 13, 2011 11:59:46 am
      Does this mean I can get a goalie jersey with Reina on the back yet? ;)

Hell yeah !
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #7: May 13, 2011 12:01:14 pm
      Christ, makes me think of the summer immediately following the 2008/09 season.

We'd come so close, and felt we were just a couple of signings from challenging seriously on all fronts, EVERY year.

As it turned out, no money was forthcoming, and the rot began to set in of Hicks and Gillett's plundering. Doubt settled into their minds, and key players started walking away.

A couple of years on, we're looking stronger again, but this time the signs are positive. Kenny's in, Steve Clarke's in, all aspects of the club are pulling together with one objective: to win.

Great to hear Pepe has seen the light and wants to stay. Fantastic keeper, and a top bloke.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: May 13, 2011 12:15:01 pm
      Was never in doubt was it ? :D

Good news though all the same.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #9: May 13, 2011 12:18:08 pm
      Great news. I love Pepe and in my opinion, he's the best goalkeeper in the world because not only he keeps goals out but he actually contributes goals indirectly.

At least there are still players with sense who are able to see the long term goals.
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #10: May 13, 2011 12:19:19 pm
      I will be at Anfield next season, says Liverpool's Pepe Reina
      • Goalkeeper says he has no thoughts of leaving
      • 'We are heading in the right direction under Dalglish'

Press Association
      guardian.co.uk,    Friday 13 May 2011 10.41 BST
      Article history

Pepe Reina says he is looking forward to next season now that Liverpool have appointed Kenny Dalglish permanently. Photograph: Tom Jenkins for the Guardian
      The Liverpool goalkeeper, Pepe Reina, says his future is at Anfield and believes the club is heading in the "right direction" under the management of Kenny Dalglish.

When Dalglish, who yesterday signed a three-year contract to become permanent manager, was brought in on an initial temporary basis in January to replace the sacked Roy Hodgson, the situation at Anfield looked bleak. Liverpool were 12th in the Premier League, only four points above the relegation zone.

Fernando Torres then secured his £50million transfer to Chelsea, and it appeared his Spain team-mate Reina would be next out of the door.

But, in just over four months, the 28-year-old goalkeeper has been persuaded by results on the pitch and a change in atmosphere he can still fulfil his ambitions at Anfield.

"I am looking forward to next season. I have always said [that] - of course there was a bit of doubt back in December and January because we were not even close to where we are now," said Reina.

"We have had excellent news on Kenny's contract, Steve Clarke's [who also signed a three-year deal] and all of the technical staff. We are heading in the right direction and we are optimistic.

"I think by making the right steps and taking them, we can all see the difference between now and then.

"That's why we are now optimistic about the future and are looking forward."

Liverpool are now fifth in the table and victory over Tottenham on Sunday at Anfield will secure Europa League football for next season.

Liverpool's recent form has prompted talk of Liverpool being able to mount a title challenge next season - a scenario which would have been met with ridicule at the turn of the year.

Reina is confident they will improve but will not get carried away.

"We have to be calm because we know how hard it is to compete with the big teams out there," he added.

"Fifth position is not the one that belongs to Liverpool, we aim higher and hopefully next season we can finish higher.

"We are all looking forward to next season, but we have to finish the job on Sunday.

"By winning we will mathematically be sure of fifth and that is our target - to beat Tottenham, make sure we get into Europe for next season and then get some rest, which I think we deserve as well."
      GRAHAM01
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 61 posts |
      Reply #11: May 13, 2011 12:26:05 pm
      top bloke, really happy he is staying, it would have been very hard to replace him
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #12: May 13, 2011 12:26:57 pm

Yeah, I know.

I never doubted it.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #13: May 13, 2011 12:35:59 pm
      Never in doubt with Kenny in charge !

If the barn owl was still here, he could blame him for leaving.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: May 13, 2011 12:51:40 pm
      Well, at least that's sorted. Never doubted him staying, any way.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #15: May 13, 2011 12:58:47 pm
      The news just keeps getting better.

It's been a long time since we had anything to celebrate and now it's coming by the bus load.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #16: May 13, 2011 01:25:59 pm
      Read various reports on him wanting to go to other clubs, as much as I thought it was never in doubt, stranger things have happened and this has been one F***ing strange season.

Glad to see it put to bed now, a few signings in the summer and the puzzle will be complete.
      I am Pater
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      • LFC fan in Texas
      Reply #17: May 13, 2011 01:41:18 pm
      I'm a new LFC fan. Can someone give me an idea where Reina would rank among the other Premier League goalies? I assume top 5 at the least but is he higher, like 1 or 2?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #18: May 13, 2011 01:46:54 pm
      I'm a new LFC fan. Can someone give me an idea where Reina would rank among the other Premier League goalies? I assume top 5 at the least but is he higher, like 1 or 2?

Best in the Premier League mate. 

Welcome to the forum and LFC, you've joined us at the start of a very exciting new era.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #19: May 13, 2011 01:49:21 pm
      Well if you go off clean sheets then I think he's number 4, (but take into account our poor start to the season). But I'd say Pepe is the best keeper and Joe Hart (Man City) 2nd.
      Andrei
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 149 posts |
      • I'll think about something.
      Reply #20: May 13, 2011 01:50:56 pm
      I really think that Pepe was just about to go but now that KK was offered a contract, he's pretty sure we're heading the right way. YNWA, LFC!
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #21: May 13, 2011 01:52:34 pm
      We're going to F***ing piss the league next season.
      I am Pater
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      • LFC fan in Texas
      Reply #22: May 13, 2011 01:54:54 pm
      Best in the Premier League mate. 

Welcome to the forum and LFC, you've joined us at the start of a very exciting new era.

Thanks. I've really enjoyed the past few months and I agree that LFC is entering an exciting era. Suarez has won me over with his style of play.

Quick Reply