Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Raul Meireles (Inter Milan; Chelsea)

Read 57285 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Raul Meireles (Inter Milan; Chelsea)
      Jun 13, 2011 05:55:07 pm
      Inter line up bid for Liverpool midfield ace

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/8293/1/inter-line-bid-liverpool-midfield-ace

Inter Milan are considering a move for Liverpool midfielder Raul Meireles, according to reports in Italy.

Inter president Massimo Moratti reckons the Portugal international would fit in well at the San Siro and is keen to press ahead with an enquiry.

The 28-year-old moved to Anfield from Porto in a £13m deal last summer and enjoyed a promising first season in the Premier League, scoring five goals in 33 appearances.

But Meireles will face fierce competition for places at Liverpool following the arrival of Jordan Henderson and the return to fitness of Steven Gerrard over the summer.

And, should Liverpool complete their rumoured move for Blackpool's Charlie Adam, there could be another central midfielder for Meireles to compete with.

He is under contract until 2014 but reports suggested a bid of around £14m might be enought to test Liverpool's resolve to hold on to him.
      « Last Edit: Aug 16, 2011 02:28:57 pm by Reslivo »
      eamonnjb
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 66 posts |
      Re: Raul Meireles - Inter Milan
      Reply #1: Jun 13, 2011 06:03:22 pm
      We need to build the squad not just a fill the gaps in the first team - I'd hope we can hold on to him. Though I can see that its good business to sell him, even if he plays regular first tem football he won't be worth much in 2 years time at 30 with a year left on his contract.
      That said plenty of competition in this area is no bad thing and injuries seem to hit us here more than elsewhere. I also think he has earned the right to stay (whether or not he wants to move is another question) and contracts can be extended.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #2: Jun 13, 2011 06:04:06 pm
      Hope it's not true.Why sell him when he was one of our best performer's last season.If Inter want to spend £14million let them spend it on Aqua.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #3: Jun 13, 2011 06:07:43 pm
      Better not be true much better and more versatile than Adam
      WildIRL
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 13, 2011 06:10:59 pm
      Surely after the season he has had he is worth €20m now? That was not a + €1m season IMO.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: Jun 13, 2011 06:13:25 pm
      If we sell Meireles for £14m then that is poor business to say the least and we will carry on our typical tradition of selling players on the cheap. If we can get £5m for Ngog then surely we can get a lot more than £14m for Meireles, not that i want him to be sold though. He is far better than Adam IMO.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: Jun 13, 2011 06:14:39 pm
      People may not agree with me, but how good was he outside of that spell where he scored all his goals? I'm not ignoring the importance of many of those goals, by the way. True, he was definitely out of position often, and he is a nifty passer of the ball at times, but I wouldn't be devastated if he was sold and a younger, more dynamic CM (cough Banega cough) was brought in.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #7: Jun 13, 2011 06:18:34 pm
      People may not agree with me, but how good was he outside of that spell where he scored all his goals? I'm not ignoring the importance of many of those goals, by the way. True, he was definitely out of position often, and he is a nifty passer of the ball at times, but I wouldn't be devastated if he was sold and a younger, more dynamic CM (cough Banega cough) was brought in.

I agree with this.  I love Meireles, but if we can include him on a deal with Valencia for Mata and Banega then I think we will be the winners.  In 2 years Raul's transfer value will be very low, while Banega and Mata's will continue to rise.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8: Jun 13, 2011 06:19:54 pm
      He had for the first time in years someone other than Gerrard had our most assists 9, the same as "creative" Adam
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #9: Jun 13, 2011 06:22:02 pm

Remember though that he was being managed by Hodgson for a lot of that time when he didn't really show up and was played out of position.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Jun 13, 2011 06:23:13 pm
      Remember though that he was being managed by Hodgson for a lot of that time when he didn't really show up and was played out of position.

Notice the part where I said "he was played out of position often" :D
      WildIRL
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #11: Jun 13, 2011 06:24:10 pm
      Out of last years signings (before January) he'd be my last sale. Do agree though if the price/deal was right then fine. I'd be sad to see him go though. 
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #12: Jun 13, 2011 06:25:39 pm
      What people don't seem to realise as well was the massive part he played in our end of season form, his movement and off the ball running are excellant and create space for others often this is overlooked or not seen by fans. Replace the high running style with the immobile Adam and you will quickly see the difference
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #13: Jun 13, 2011 06:27:06 pm
      Despite what I said in his player thread, I'd sell him everday of the week if it meant getting someone of the calibre of Banega in.

Wouldn't want him to leave so Adam can come in though.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Jun 13, 2011 06:27:46 pm
      What people don't seem to realise as well was the massive part he played in our end of season form, his movement and off the ball running are excellant and create space for others often this is overlooked or not seen by fans. Replace the high running style with the immobile Adam and you will quickly see the difference

I don't think of Adam as Meireles' replacement. I'd only be happy with Meireles being off if another CM was introduced in to the fold, such as Banega, who is my ideal choice and has been for well over a year. Meireles is a good, intelligent player but I think we can find better all around options out there. I'd love to have him stay but if there's a better option I'd rather have that.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #15: Jun 13, 2011 06:28:55 pm
      Keep him 100%

F**k off Inter.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Jun 13, 2011 06:30:53 pm
      The first midfielder in the centre of the park to score for us. Invaluable for a title challenge.

Keep him.

If we want Banega, get him ahead of Adam.
      Cumbria Red
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 13, 2011 06:53:03 pm
      With Henderson already here and Adam apparently imminent I can see this happening. Other than a month when Kenny arrived he didnt  perform at a high level consistently for me, I dont think he is a fan of a tackle which concerned me a few times. I do rate him and would like to keep him but I can see this happening.
      Robbiefowl9
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts | -2 
      Reply #18: Jun 13, 2011 07:01:12 pm
      IMO cumbrian red u no nothing about liverpool, keep ur opinions to youself
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #19: Jun 13, 2011 07:04:02 pm
      IMO cumbrian red u no nothing about liverpool, keep ur opinions to youself

There will be plenty of people who you will disagree with on here, but it is a forum to voice opinions.  Like them or not, please try to be respectful of other people's opinions and ideas.  Thanks :)
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #20: Jun 13, 2011 07:04:27 pm
      What makes me laugh is when people think Raul is a poor tackler wait ye see Adam and Henderson
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #21: Jun 13, 2011 07:08:49 pm
      If we get £14million for him, I'd be happy to  take it and move for someone younger like Benaga. Meireles is 28 now. Sell him while he's heading towards the end of his peak. I would imagine his value would decrease dramatically over the next few years.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #22: Jun 13, 2011 07:11:20 pm
      Banega is a carbon copy of Adam just better, Raul is completely different midfielder, much more adaptable and with much more running to his game than both Banega and Adam.

I am a fan of Banega but no way in the world he is coming in with Adam. Crazy to think we are talking of selling a player because he is at his peak, madness to be honest.

Quick Reply