Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Maxi (Newells Old Boys)

Read 23391 times
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Re: Maxi (Newells Old Boys)
      Reply #138: Jun 16, 2011 09:10:24 pm
      I agree with this mate, I just don't agree that Maxi is good enough. If we are looking for top 6 or 7 he is good enough, if we are looking to challenge for the league we need to be able to call on better when needed.

You cannot have a bench full of Messi's and Xavi's you need a quality squad either youth or age that are willing to play bit parts. This we need 30 million plus players for the bench is pure fantasy, we need quality which Maxi is. Look at Uniteds bench this year Park etc none you would class as world class but players willing to grab any chance they have. Why do you think Judas got a new deal.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #139: Jun 16, 2011 09:21:58 pm
      Don't want to open a can of worms, but some of the people saying Maxi shouldn't be allowed to leave because he's quality can't apply the same logic to Aquilani.

I find that quite odd.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #140: Jun 16, 2011 09:32:33 pm
      Don't want to open a can of worms, but some of the people saying Maxi shouldn't be allowed to leave because he's quality can't apply the same logic to Aquilani.

I find that quite odd.

10 goals transfer fee wages etc, plus he can look you straight in the eye.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #141: Jun 16, 2011 09:36:12 pm
      10 goals transfer fee wages etc, plus he can look you straight in the eye.

Aquilani 6 assists 2 goals in a season where he it was understood he was signed injured.

Transfer fee and wages should be irrelevant when it gives you quality in depth.

Daft argument really as who ever is signed to replace him will still have a transfer fee & wages.
      « Last Edit: Jun 16, 2011 09:42:48 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #142: Jun 16, 2011 09:45:36 pm
      Aquilani 6 assists 2 goals in a season where he it was understood he was signed injured.

Transfer fee and wages should be irrelevant when it gives you quality in depth.

Daft argument really as who ever is signed to replace him will still have a transfer fee & wages.

More daft to let him go on a free then pay money for a replacement, which this debate was about......just saying like. 
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #143: Jun 16, 2011 09:48:46 pm
      More daft to let him go on a free then pay money for a replacement, which this debate was about......just saying like.  

I'm not saying we should let him go.

To be honest I've already said he hasn't said he wants to leave this summer it was misinterpreted.

Still its daft to let Aquilani go for around £8m as to replace him with some one of similar quality the way this transfer window is going would cost in excess of £35m..... just saying like.

Outside of the First XI & players classed as deadwood, Aquilani and Maxi are probably the only two I'd keep.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #144: Jun 16, 2011 09:51:58 pm
      I'm not saying we should let him go.

To be honest I've already said he hasn't said he wants to leave this summer it was misinterpreted.

Still its daft to let Aquilani go for around £8m as to replace him with some one of similar quality the way this transfer window is going would cost in excess of £35m..... just saying like.

Different argument, but Aqua is worth 6 mil at a Push for me and when we look back will be one of the worst transfers in LFC history. Plus he will do nothing in the game to ever justify another 15 mil plus fee but again just opinion but not for this thread.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #145: Jun 16, 2011 09:55:29 pm
      Different argument, but Aqua is worth 6 mil at a Push for me

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

We've just paid £16m for a kid who is nowhere near Aquilani's level of ability.

I'll leave it there, now like I said some people haven't got the common sense to apply the same logic to Aquilani as they are Maxi.

Ulterior motives.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #146: Jun 16, 2011 09:56:14 pm

You cannot have a bench full of Messi's and Xavi's you need a quality squad either youth or age that are willing to play bit parts. This we need 30 million plus players for the bench is pure fantasy, we need quality which Maxi is. Look at Uniteds bench this year Park etc none you would class as world class but players willing to grab any chance they have. Why do you think Judas got a new deal.

Not asking for a bench full of Messi's mate, just some decent quality players to go along with the up-and-coming youngsters. We will need players to come in during the season ......but we need better than Maxi (imo)

Aquilani wants to stay in Italy RedlfcBlood, Maxi wants to go back to Argentina. Neither is good enough for the first team so why force them to stay?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #147: Jun 16, 2011 09:59:45 pm

Aquilani wants to stay in Italy RedlfcBlood, Maxi wants to go back to Argentina. Neither is good enough for the first team so why force them to stay?

Maxi doesn't want to go.

It was misinterpreted, he said it could be an option next summer.

Aquilani said he wouldn't have a problem returning to LFC, its one of the best clubs in the world.

Both players are probably the best two players we have outside of the Starting XI, so they are certainly good enough for a squad
      role.

You stated you wanted a strong bench, well players of Maxi's and Aquilani standard would give you a strong bench/squad, its the standard below that, the Jova's Konchesky's, the Poulsens that F**k you over the course of a season.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #148: Jun 16, 2011 10:00:17 pm
      Not asking for a bench full of Messi's mate, just some decent quality players to go along with the up-and-coming youngsters. We will need players to come in during the season ......but we need better than Maxi (imo)

Aquilani wants to stay in Italy RedlfcBlood, Maxi wants to go back to Argentina. Neither is

good enough for the first team so why force them to stay?

I know what you saying, but I am happy with a bit part player scoring 10 goals that is hard to replace hence the debate. The quality and football ability would be hard to replace and would cost a lot. We
      have youngsters and bought youngsters because of this Maxi becomes even more valuable.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #149: Jun 16, 2011 10:00:24 pm
      That is true mate. That was a shocking miss.

To be fair to him, the ball did bobble.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #150: Jun 16, 2011 10:04:21 pm
      Whaoh there Crouchy.

Maxi wasn't even in Kenny's starting XI when Carroll was fit. He went for Meireles on the left ahead of Maxi. And it was only due to Carroll's injury that gave Maxi a start against Birmingham which he took with both hands to be fair to him. Maxi has started just one game with Meireles and Carroll - the home leg against Braga. That to me suggests that when both Meireles and Carroll are fit, Maxi won't be anywhere near the starting XI.

Squad player is all he'll ever be. But if selling him means we're gonna get a top quality starting XI left winger then he should be sold all day long.

What about the corresponding games where Carroll was benched to accomodate Maxi? Caroll, from memory, was on the bench twice while Maxi started - after he scored something like 7 in 4 games (forgive me if i'm wrong on that, but it was something along those lines). Kenny rewarded form and in the end, he played Maxi right to the end of the season.

And the point you quoted was taken out of context. What i said was he was capable of filling a first team spot if others were injured. I've not made a point where i think Maxi should be a first teamer week in, week out. I think he should definitely be kept as an option on the bench because of his versatility, ability to perform in our first team and his ability to score and create and assist in our style play. On top that, i find it increasingly difficult to find someone to take his spot and be happy to sign for us just to sit on the bench while turning other clubs down to sign for us. That would require offering someone more money to tempt him for the pay packet (which we frown upon most other players doing) or find someone who is genuinely in love with our club and would say no to other clubs of similar prestige to ours who are promising them first team football. Either that or we'd have to settle for a lower club player.

That is how i see Maxi.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #151: Jun 16, 2011 10:08:10 pm
      Maxi doesn't want to go.

It was misinterpreted, he said it could be an option next summer.

Aquilani said  he wouldn't have a problem returning to LFC, its one of the best clubs in the world.

Both players are probably the best two players we have outside of the Starting XI, so they are certainly good enough for a squad
      role.

You stated you wanted a strong bench, well players of Maxi's and Aquilani standard would give you a strong bench/squad, its teh standard below that, teh Jova's Konchesky's, the Poulsens that f**k you over the course of a season.

Aquilani would be ok for the bench, Maxi's just not good enough, all he would be doing is taking a young up and coming players place. Maxi is not going to get any better, the young player just might! I feel just the same way about Kyrgiakos, can't say I was too pleased that he got an extension.

If the best we can get for Aquilani is £8million, we may as well keep him as we won't lose too much anyway. If we can get £14million or so for him we should sell him.

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #152: Jun 16, 2011 10:13:37 pm
      Maxi is happy here alright, I can think of 90,000 reasons why too. He is not good enough to be a part of the new Liverpool regime in my opinion. We have plenty of youngsters here to fill the bench, all with more fire in their bellies than Maxi has. He is not worth £90,000 a week, not even in his prime. He is screwing this Club, he doesn't deserve those wages. Same goes for other players too.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #153: Jun 16, 2011 10:18:25 pm
      Aquilani would be ok for the bench, Maxi's just not good enough, all he would be doing is taking a young up and coming players place. Maxi is not going to get any better, the young player just might! I feel just the same way about Kyrgiakos, can't say I was too pleased that he got an extension.

If the best we can get for Aquilani is £8million, we may as well keep him as we won't lose too much anyway. If we can get £14million or so for him we should sell him.

Now I would be happy to see all three players sold that you are on about, providing (1) the deals are beneficial for the club & the players & (2) we get adequate players to replace them.

But for me as I said along with Agger, Maxi and Aquilani  would be the last out of the squad players we have.

Jones
      Konchesky
      Sotis
      Aurelio
      Cole
      Jova
      N'Gog

Would be the first lot out of the door for me.

All of the above we can do much better than, harsh on Aurelio. but injuries and age is against him.

Get rid of that lot for players of the same ability of Aquilani & Maxi (maybe not world class), but good players and there is your strength in depth.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #154: Jun 16, 2011 10:21:23 pm
      Maxi is happy here alright, I can think of 90,000 reasons why too. He is not good enough to be a part of the new Liverpool regime in my opinion. We have plenty of youngsters here to fill the bench, all with more fire in their bellies than Maxi has. He is not worth £90,000 a week, not even in his prime. He is screwing this Club, he doesn't deserve those wages. Same goes for other players too.

Maxi is not on £90,000 per week ...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #155: Jun 16, 2011 10:22:23 pm

Maxi is not on £90k a week mate, he's on €2.5m a year which equates to around £45k a week.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #156: Jun 16, 2011 10:24:36 pm
      Now I would be happy to see all three players sold that you are on about, providing (1) the deals are beneficial for the club & the players & (2) we get adequate players to replace them.

But for me as I said along with Agger, Maxi and Aquilani  would be the last out of the squad players we have.

Jones
      Konchesky
      Sotis
      Aurelio
      Cole
      Jova
      N'Gog

Would be the first lot out of the door for me.

All of the above we can do much better than, harsh on Aurelio. but injuries and age is against him.

Get rid of that lot for players of the same ability of Aquilani & Maxi (maybe not world class), but good players and there is your strength in depth.

Hopefully some of those players places will be taken up by a few of our better youngsters, while the rest will be players that were in our first team last season...... but can't get in this season (Miereles/Kuyt/Skrtel/Lucas)   
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #157: Jun 16, 2011 10:25:02 pm
      Maxi is not on £90k a week mate, he's on €2.5m a year which equates to around £45k a week.

I thought his signing on fee was incorporated into his wages?. If not, my bad. Still, not worth £45,000 a week either.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #158: Jun 16, 2011 10:29:12 pm
       If we're serious about improving (and we all are I hope) then the first thing you must do is calmly assess where we are as of now. We've finished 7th in the league then 6th in the league for a couple of reasons, but chief amongst those is that we haven't got a good enough team or squad. I keep reading that "central midfields sorted" and that "we don't need to waste money on a central defender" and I just don't get it. We DO need to improve in central midfield, we DO need a central defender, and we definately DO need better options than Maxi Rodriguez off the bench.

People saying "well the Mancs have the likes of Park Ji Sung and Darren Fletcher on their bench" are deluding themselves that Maxi is anywhere near as effective as either player, he isn't. If we are going to buy some players (and it looks like we are) we are going to need to make some room somewhere, otherwise we'll have a squad of 67 players or whatever the f*** it was last time anyone counted.   
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #159: Jun 16, 2011 10:29:47 pm
      Hopefully some of those players places will be taken up by a few of our better youngsters, while the rest will be players that were in our first team last season...... but can't get in this season (Miereles/Kuyt/Skrtel/Lucas)  

Well there is that but out the ones I've mentioned, Maxi, Aquilani & Agger are three I'd hold on to until all the rest were out of the door.

I wouldn't want to be sold short, we've had enough of that the last few years.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #160: Jun 16, 2011 10:30:08 pm
      Rodriguez is certainly on that list, with a salary of nearly £90,000 a week, and the club will definitely not stand in his way, as he revealed yesterday he wants to rejoin Newell’s Old Boys, the club where he first made his name.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-transfer-news-Maxi-Raul-Meireles-could-leave-for-Newells-Old-Boys-Inter-Milan-respectively-article747934.html#ixzz1PTcFFv5G

Only the Mirror, but he was asking for £4.4million a year before we signed him which is not far short. 

Quick Reply