Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Flanno or Kelly?

Read 8770 times
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Re: Flanno or Kelly?
      Reply #92: Nov 14, 2011 08:26:31 pm
      Glen Johnson. I think Kelly is a centerback who coincidentally is a very good right back as well. Luis Suarez could probably be one hell of a winger, but F**k that, I want him at striker. Eventually, young Martin should be moved to the middle. I also rate Glen very highly, so I'm a tad bit biased.

Also, I worry about his injuries. He won't have to sprint or cover as much ground at center back. Could prolong his career or lessen his time on the table. All for it.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #93: Nov 14, 2011 08:50:42 pm
      Seems to have turned into the Johno vs Kelly thread.....

If the question of the thread is, "Who do you rate as a better RB - Flano or Kelly?" then I would have to say at the moment the answer is Kelly.  However, I think Flano will end up a better RB than Kelly because he is a bit quicker and lighter on his feet.  I also believe that Kelly will turn out to be a phenomenal CB within a few years time, but it is easier for a young lad like him to step in at RB than it is for him to be thrust directly in as a CB. 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #94: Nov 15, 2011 08:30:51 am
       I did not see Kelly play for young England but my grandson did and he told me Kelly played a blinder as centre back. So maybe  he could very well finish up there for us and  it would come down to Flanno or Johnson as right back.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #95: Nov 15, 2011 07:15:40 pm
      bossred1
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      Reply #96: Nov 16, 2011 01:59:45 pm
      At the moment, Kelly, but just wait 3-4 years and Flanno will be a great player, he's still a young lad! When flanno's time has arrived we might move kelly into the center back as carra probably have retired within 4 years!
      YNWA
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #97: Nov 16, 2011 02:34:43 pm
      My only worry with Flanno is how he beefs up over the next 2 years. Look at how good Insua looked when he played a few games for the first team but as he bulked up and got stronger physically, he lost his acceleration. I hope this doesn't happen Flanno anyways.

Future is bright :)
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #98: Nov 16, 2011 11:18:25 pm
      Even at this early stage of their careers I think it's clear that Flanno is very much a natural right back, he's got the pace for that position and he has shown that he's good defensively and can give you the option for an outlet when attacking. I really can see him being a permanent fixture at RB over the next couple of years and with experience he'll only get better.

At this current stage though, Kelly is without doubt the better option. He's that little bit bigger physically, and it's also important for him to learn other defensive roles before moving to CB (which he inevitably will IMO). Just how Carra started out really, playing all across the back 4 before cementing that CB position as his own.

Either way, I think we're secure defensively for the foreseeable future.
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #99: Nov 17, 2011 09:49:03 pm
      My only worry with Flanno is how he beefs up over the next 2 years. Look at how good Insua looked when he played a few games for the first team but as he bulked up and got stronger physically, he lost his acceleration. I hope this doesn't happen Flanno anyways.

Future is bright :)

Flanno stronger than he looks, he's strong in the tackle and I don't think he necessarily needs to get in the weights room because he will naturally fill out a little and get stronger as he gets older. If Jonno and Kelly went down injured I'd have no problem with young Flanno stepping in.
      pugs86
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #100: Nov 17, 2011 10:11:19 pm
      Either, particularly if they were selected ahead of Johnson
      pugs86
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #101: Nov 17, 2011 10:14:26 pm
      carra probably have retired within 4 years!

4 years? on his 90th birthday - does nobody else think he should have already called it a day?

I love Carra but personally don't think he's up to scratch any more

Quick Reply