Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Carra still be first choice centre-back? (Added 11 Sep 2011)

Yes
      (24.5%)
      No
      (75.5%)

Is Carra Past It? What's the Ideal CB Partnership?

Read 27042 times
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Re: Is Carra Past It? What's the Ideal CB Partnership?
      Reply #276: Nov 20, 2011 11:46:47 pm
      I've always thought Agger was class, but I was always a little critical of Skrtel. It's really good to see that he's coming back into his own again and showing the kind of form which he impressed with when he first signed for the club in January 2008.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #277: Nov 20, 2011 11:48:42 pm
      At the moment, he is third choice but that could change.

An injury, touch wood not agger again and he's back in. But for now no. Expect rotation in December though.
      BigAndy9
      • Banned

• 54 posts |
      • Born a Spaniard, Die a Scouser
      Reply #278: Nov 21, 2011 12:12:55 am
      Personally yes, i still think hes a solid tackler and one of the most knowledgeble and passionate men around but his pace has all but gone and seems he cant keep up with the pace and skill of most premier league players now, he also provides no attacking threat.

I like Agger/Skrtel as our CB Partnership.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #279: Nov 21, 2011 01:28:25 am
      I wouldn't expect Carra in the team for the City game because they have some very tricky pacy players and he might not be able to cope with that. Till Agger/Skrtel continue their fine form,they should be persisted with. I think we would see Carra in the Carling Cup game or whenever we have a busy schedule.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #280: Nov 21, 2011 10:32:32 am
      If its not broken, don't fix it.

Agger and Skrtel have been rocks in the past few games.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #281: Nov 21, 2011 12:38:19 pm
      I will always love Carra because he's a legend and has served this club so well over the years, but there is no doubt in my mind that Dan Agger is our best centre back now. He is the complete defender. He's quick, strong, reads the game well, determined and can play the ball and bring it out of defence. Coates is maybe a bit too raw for first team action right now and as much as i rate Skrtel i think Carra and Agger is our best partnership.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #282: Nov 21, 2011 12:52:03 pm
      I will always love Carra because he's a legend and has served this club so well over the years, but there is no doubt in my mind that Dan Agger is our best centre back now. He is the complete defender. He's quick, strong, reads the game well, determined and can play the ball and bring it out of defence. Coates is maybe a bit too raw for first team action right now and as much as i rate Skrtel i think Carra and Agger is our best partnership.
      Carra and Agger are more than adequate, with Skrtel we have the luxury right now of quality back up. Jamie must be aware that his days of automatic selection are gone, at the same time he will be relieved that when the time comes the team will not be found wanting by his absence.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #283: Nov 21, 2011 02:09:46 pm
      We have to stick with Agger and Skrtel. They have been pretty solid since Carragher has been out so no reason to change it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #284: Nov 21, 2011 02:20:44 pm
      Love Carra and will always be thankful for him but I was brought up where you don't change something that's working.

Last three games have saw us keep two clean sheets and record two wins. Neither Agger or Skrtel have played badly during the three games. So for now Carra stays on the bench. Harsh as it may be to a very loyal servant of the club, that time comes for every player. I don't think his time is up completely, but for now he's third choice.

If, as I suspect, Kenny keeps Skrtel and Agger for the City game then Carra is almost a certain starter for the Carling Cup game back at Stamford Bridge. They're the sort of chances he has to take to prove to Kenny he's worthy of a starting role. Then he'll just have to wait for an injury or dip in form to get back into the side on a regular basis and will have to prove he deserves to be there.

Given the pairing of Agger and Skrtel don't have great records for injury or long lasting form, I expect Carra to be back in our Premiership XI regularly before the turn of the year.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #285: Nov 21, 2011 03:17:40 pm
      Carra is 3rd choice for me right now Agger is fit & thats his only downfall soft Injuries. Skrtel for me has been great all season tough brave & bloody quick.
      Expect these 2 to start against City, Carra back for the Chelsea cup game.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #286: Nov 21, 2011 04:05:08 pm
      Love Carra and will always be thankful for him but I was brought up where you don't change something that's working.

Last three games have saw us keep two clean sheets and record two wins. Neither Agger or Skrtel have played badly during the three games. So for now Carra stays on the bench. Harsh as it may be to a very loyal servant of the club, that time comes for every player. I don't think his time is up completely, but for now he's third choice.

If, as I suspect, Kenny keeps Skrtel and Agger for the City game then Carra is almost a certain starter for the Carling Cup game back at Stamford Bridge. They're the sort of chances he has to take to prove to Kenny he's worthy of a starting role. Then he'll just have to wait for an injury or dip in form to get back into the side on a regular basis and will have to prove he deserves to be there.

Given the pairing of Agger and Skrtel don't have great records for injury or long lasting form, I expect Carra to be back in our Premiership XI regularly before the turn of the year.
      It's sad but true Billy, where LFC is concerned the best starting eleven is the priority and Agger and Skrtel have proved their point.
      Jamie wants what's best for the club it goes without saying so don't suppose he would argue.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #287: Nov 21, 2011 10:41:45 pm
      It's sad but true Billy, where LFC is concerned the best starting eleven is the priority and Agger and Skrtel have proved their point.
      Jamie wants what's best for the club it goes without saying so don't suppose he would argue.

Yep mate.

The best managers know when it's time to pass the torch so to speak. Carra's injury kinda forced Kenny's hand, but he kept with Agger and Skrtel when he could of easily just threw Carra back in. Hopefully now, he keeps with what's working.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #288: Nov 21, 2011 10:51:58 pm
      Yep mate.

The best managers know when it's time to pass the torch so to speak. Carra's injury kinda forced Kenny's hand, but he kept with Agger and Skrtel when he could of easily just threw Carra back in. Hopefully now, he keeps with what's working.

I certainly hope he does, otherwise it undermines the squad and the players who have done well.

That said, I have seen the same threads writing Carra off since he dropped out of the england set up, and he has always done a job for us.
      He's not the best in the world, but F**k me, he's done a job for us over the years, and I suspect that news of his "demise" are greatly exagerated
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #289: Nov 21, 2011 11:05:49 pm

I would expect him to start the Chelsea cup match with Martin and give Daniel a bit of a rest with Coates perhaps coming on for Skrtel in the 2nd half. Obviously Chelsea have bigger issues than this cup match so I would expect them to field they're reserve team led by Raul and Torres.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #290: Nov 21, 2011 11:33:48 pm
      I would expect him to start the Chelsea cup match with Martin and give Daniel a bit of a rest with Coates perhaps coming on for Skrtel in the 2nd half. Obviously Chelsea have bigger issues than this cup match so I would expect them to field they're reserve team led by Raul and Torres.

Probably be Carra and Coates with Kelly and Robinson as the full backs. That's what I'm expecting to see anyway. Don't think there'll be any of the starters against City, starting at Chelsea. Couple should make the bench though.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #291: Nov 21, 2011 11:40:33 pm
      Probably be Carra and Coates with Kelly and Robinson as the full backs. That's what I'm expecting to see anyway. Don't think there'll be any of the starters against City, starting at Chelsea. Couple should make the bench though.

Coates will benefit by playing alongside Carra - he's a good teacher about defending, especially in the EPL which is a hard league to come into as a youngster.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #292: Nov 29, 2011 11:57:07 pm
      As much as it was good for Carra to get a game tonight - you would have to say if you were watching Liverpool tonight for the first time - you would probably have thought Coates was the one pushing on the door of Skrtel/Agger.

December will be a real managerial test for Dalglish in whether he tries to keep all his defenders happy, or sticks purely with form.

Noticeable that Agger was one of the few who were completely rested for the clash.  It's him, rather than Skrtel, who may have more problems playing 6 games in a month.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #293: Nov 30, 2011 12:08:27 am
      As much as it was good for Carra to get a game tonight - you would have to say if you were watching Liverpool tonight for the first time - you would probably have thought Coates was the one pushing on the door of Skrtel/Agger.

December will be a real managerial test for Dalglish in whether he tries to keep all his defenders happy, or sticks purely with form.

Noticeable that Agger was one of the few who were completely rested for the clash.  It's him, rather than Skrtel, who may have more problems playing 6 games in a month.

Can't argue with that.

21 years old, and made 1 mistake in nearly 100 minutes.

The yellow wasn't a mistake - he meant it.
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #294: Nov 30, 2011 04:24:29 am
      Is Coates that good? Only seen what people say. dying to find some replays.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #295: Nov 30, 2011 06:28:50 am
      I wonder if some matches could feature three central defenders for a bit longer than the final few minutes, like we saw against the chavs, where we were trying to hold the lead. for example, Skrtel and Agger playing against fulham but no Lucas, so Spearing partners Adam in the middle and for extra security Carra comes on in the second half and Agger plays a little more up field in a DM kind of role, or maybe not even, just a straight back three. I think Kenny will know how to use the squad and adapt to who we have fit.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #296: Nov 30, 2011 07:02:13 am
       I voted for Carra not to be first choice,I believe the inform player should be selected to play irrespective of his history.If Carra is the best available for a certain game then by all means select him.
      Kieranlfc88
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #297: Nov 30, 2011 09:18:04 am
      I'm going to be controversial and say that IMO Carragher has never been a great defender. Last ditch tackles (his hallmark) are for me a sign of a defender who lacks positional sense (the most important defensive attribute) - add to that his lack of pace and aerial prowess asa well as some technical deficiencies I'd conclude that it is largely his leadership and 'local lad' qualities which have seen him stay in the squad for so long.
      He has of coarse been a great servant of the club and I respect him highly but the team is what matters and it is stronger without him ATM - hopefully Carragher will accept this gracefully and focus his efforts off-the-field which is where his true value lies now for me
      (btw he played really well last night!!)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #298: Nov 30, 2011 12:25:28 pm
      It's been great to have such options now.
      Skrtel and Agger for the league.
      Coates and Carra for the cups.
      Agree that Kenny's biggest test will be managing the December games.
      Who comes in for Agger? Depends on the opposition I think.
      Aerially Coates has been fantastic and since Sami left we've sometimes missed that.

Quick Reply