Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Dalglish's immunity to mistakes

Read 9163 times
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Dalglish's immunity to mistakes
      Aug 14, 2011 07:44:59 pm
      Kenny is a legend, fact! But are we afraid to admit when he's wrong?

Kenny brought back the feel good factor within Liverpool Football Club. He galvanised Anfield and the supporters got right behind his back which seeped right down to the players, we played some beautiful football once he got in. Our players played with heart,gusto and flair. Clearly Dalglish made a major on impression on the players. But has that glamour dimmed out a bit? Anfield seems it's back to it's old self in not getting behind the players to push on when the team isn't particularly playing well. With all that said, is Dalglish immune to making mistakes? We've seen where he's made blunders in team selections and playing players out of position some similar things Rafa got barked at for but it seems as if he, Dalglish is  untouchable.

Has the feel good factor died down?

We went primarily British in the transfer window. (Some may have issues with that)
      Lack of playing Aquilani (Some may find this as a good thing)

I am just trying to be brave here. I believe Dalglish has made mistakes despite his legendary status.
      « Last Edit: Aug 16, 2011 09:29:26 pm by crzy_jkr@u »
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 824 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Dalgish's immunity to mistakes
      Reply #1: Aug 14, 2011 07:53:57 pm
      His only human, we all make mistakes, but yes i agree, some are blind to the fact that he can make mistakes, just because he is a legend, and managed us successfully in the past.

His formation and team line up for the Sunderland game was wrong, his lack of changing in tactics against Sunderland was questionable and the cameo of Merieles was bewildering not too mention what position he came on too play.

On Aquilani, can't comment, we don't know the facts.

But i still believe in Kenny, i still believe he is the right man to take us to 19, he has a job to re-build this team, not to get us short term victory.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2: Aug 14, 2011 07:56:34 pm
      Time will tell. I understand all the incoming transfers bar Henderson, but I don't think we'll know if he's made mistakes until a proper season or 2 tbh.

The way I see it is, Dalglish wants to play using Carroll as a focal point and for our players to play off him, or to utilise him predominantly with crosses and set pieces, whether it's through pass and move or  long/direct balls, time will tell.

As for a primarily British transfer window this season, I think he wanted to play it safe by bringing in "prem proven" players to stabilize and to add more quality to the team.

LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #3: Aug 14, 2011 07:57:04 pm
      He has and is going to make mistakes, we should be able to criticize them, but in the end who else would we rather have at the helm? Literally no other person in my opinion
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #4: Aug 14, 2011 07:58:34 pm
      Of course he makes mistakes.

I was shocked at the starting line up yesterday to be honest. Flanno over Kelly, Henderson over Kuyt and I certainly didnt expect Suarez to start.

Just think it was too much of a "new look" yesterday and with Adam, Downing, Henderson and Enrique all making their debuts was very surprised not to see an experienced player like Kuyt start.

I have total faith in Kenny and I am still buzzing that he's back as our manager again but have to say I think he selected the wrong team yesterday but lets keep things in perspective here.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #5: Aug 14, 2011 07:58:44 pm
      Everyone makes mistakes and Kenny isn't immune to them at all, but like the legend he is he learns from them quicker than those who are stubborn or stupid enough not to realise it. I believe he'll alter the shape of the team based on our Sunderland performance and I like every single Liverpool fan should be 100% behind him at the moment, I can accept mistakes from anyone as long as they try to improve and eliminate them happening again.

The feel good factor is definitely still there and will remain for a long time I believe as I have no doubt we will make top 4 this season, hopefully playing attractive football along the way, it will give everyone a buzz when Gerrard gets back in the team too as I know he is itching to play under Kenny so i am very much looking forward to see that in more ways than one as we definitely miss his midfield leadership.

IKWT
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #6: Aug 14, 2011 08:01:13 pm
      I don't think the majority are afraid to admit when hes got it wrong, Im certainly not, he got it wrong yesterday.

But I think theres an air of reluctancy to become too critical too fast, which I fully support. Issues such as Aquilani I don't think we can comment on, none of us know whats going on behind the scenes, none of us know how hes performing in training, his attitude etc. In regards to transfers, lets not forget Commolli holds some authority there too, again, Im reluctant to criticse on that because we don't know what goes on behind the scenes (Personally think we have been extremely shrewd in the transfer market).

I don't think theres any immunity towards Kenny, the majority will admit when he has got it wrong. But becoming too critical too fast leads down a slippery slope, its not something Liverpool fans are known for and I really hope that doesn't change. I will forever have full faith in what Kenny Dalglish thinks is best for this football club.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #7: Aug 14, 2011 08:10:29 pm
      My biggest question would be to ask if perhaps some fan's can make mistakes as to the qualities of the squad after one match. Kenny is the final say on Transfers but Comolli/Clarke also have significant input and I do not believe they are YES men to KD.

I suppose we as fan's should ask ourselves "What exactly makes us the experts" is it years fotballing experience? Scouting for club's or just playing football manager?

1-10 matches into they're career and a few of our new players are already been written off, some of before they had even signed. The "I have a right to an opinion" argument only goes so far.........After a couple of posts we understand the opinion.......after 50 posts it has turned into an agenda that is getting ramed down everyone's throats.

Is Kenny perfect?. no....will he make mistakes....yes.....are the owners judging and or a second guessing him already I hope not...yet there is a slice of fans seemingly unable to show any patience for a select group of our newer players and it seems now the management team.
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2011 08:24:15 pm by AZPatriot »
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #8: Aug 14, 2011 08:31:14 pm
      The thing that concerns me most is a seeming reliance on the hoof - can't even call it a long ball.

Who that is down to, I'm not sure, because a lot of posters seem to think it is down to the players - on the other hand, it has happened enough times to be seen as part of our strategy.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with mixing it up a bit, but I am concerned that we use it too much and thus become predictable.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #9: Aug 14, 2011 08:35:22 pm
      I don't think anyone has a problem saying "Kenny made a mistake". My problem personally is that every time we don't win people start saying well Kenny did this, this and this wrong.

Yawn.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #10: Aug 14, 2011 08:46:32 pm
      I've got no issue with saying Kenny will make mistakes. He's human and is not infallible, he'd be the first to admit it when he gets one wrong.

I found myself questioning his decisions during the Sunderland game, specifically putting Meireles on to play on the left. Kenny was clearly trying to change something and he made several formation switches during the last part of the game, none of which got us back into it. Of course you can say, 'oh he should have played Kelly over Flanno' or 'Adam shouldn't have played 90 mins' but these are decisions you question in hindsight. It's very easy for us as fans to question things in hindsight, but far more difficult for a manager to make the right decision at the time. Sometimes people get things wrong, but I have all confidence that Kenny will get those key decisions right more times than he gets them wrong.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it isn't available to managers when they make key decisions during a game.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #11: Aug 14, 2011 08:50:58 pm
      First game of the season blues - early days yet but I do 'get' the thread.

Yeah he made a couple of tactical errors in the second half and in my opinion should of played Dirk over Hendo and with the benefit of hindsight Kelly, over Flanno.

My main concern from yesterday was how many players took their feet of the gas and let Sunderland in in the second half - I aint got no badges like but I'm pretty sure the directions at half time were not along the lines of 'chill out, get sloppy and don't continue the good play from the first half.'

Putting things in perspective we played very, very well first half, should of been playing ten men, missed a pen and had a goal that should of stood disallowed for jack-sh*t.

KK has and will make mistakes but until they are costing us points on a regular basis and because of his managerial nouse I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12: Aug 14, 2011 08:51:49 pm
      I wouldn't say his formation was wrong at all. The first half proved he had got everything pre match. For sure in hindsight I would have made a couple of changed to the right side of the field.

It wasn't perfect but I don't have any major concerns about the mistakes made by the team yesterday. Fitness and a greater collective mentality would be greater but I'm certain that will come as time goes by.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #13: Aug 14, 2011 09:14:01 pm

Like every great manager, Kenny will have many good days, and a few bad days ... Unfortunately, yesterday was one of the bad days ... Still, I am very optimistic about our chances under Kenny ... If we continue with the investment into the squad, we could probably expect a serious title challenge as soon as the 2012/13 season ...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #14: Aug 14, 2011 09:22:59 pm
      Of course Kenny will make mistakes.  I don't think he has immunity from the fans judgement.  However, after half time yesterday I was happy with the side so I can't say he picked the wrong team.

Hindsight is a lovely thing though.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #15: Aug 14, 2011 09:56:45 pm
      If Sunderland go on to win at old Trafford and the Emirates then how will yesterday then look.Its completely idiotic to make any judgements whatsoever after just 1 game with a new look side.
      As for Kenny he has EARNED our trust in him and its not a case of immunity if you want to support someone you give them your full backing and even more so when things have not gone as well as we would like.
      We dont have a great track record away to Arsenal, God knows what some will be saying if we dont get a result down there.
      We support the team over season not 1 game.
      I think our results will be up and down before we settle with a side and gain some form as a team.Our goal this season is CL football anything else will be a bonus.
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #16: Aug 14, 2011 10:08:22 pm
      wasnt the result thats the concern really although we would usually expect to beat sunderland at home, it was the second half performance.

It was a game of two halfs. We were pretty good in the first half, knocked it about well, in the second half we struggled to cope with their pressure and we looked a bit tired.

Think kenny got a couple of subs wrong but a draw was a fair result in the end, credit to sunderland they played well and took advantage of us taking the foot off the gas. 
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #17: Aug 14, 2011 10:12:38 pm
      People do realise we didn't lose at the weekend don't they?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #18: Aug 14, 2011 10:13:45 pm

No it's because we are falling apart Gazza, first it was Carroll, then Adam and too top it off it appears one of the greatest footballer's in the world will be leaving us soon.

madness I say, sheer madness
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #19: Aug 14, 2011 10:18:50 pm
      As JD said, hindsight is a luxury you do not have as a football manager.  It also does not win you football matches.  Saying this or that player should be in because X player did this wrong, how do we know what effect that would have.  We don't, it's only our perception of what we think would happen.  Any player can make a mistake that leads to a goal (remember Pepe, in last seasons opener?), but to then say another player would not have made a similar error in a similar situation that ended with conceding a goal is something no one can prove.  In that context, when does something become a 'mistake.' 

Kenny clearly picked the team who he thought could do the job yesterday and for the first half it was looking good bar two diabolical reffing decisions.  One defensive lapse (not entirely down to Flanno) and the team flagging in the second half for various reasons, seemed to totally overshadow the positive start we made.

That's what worries me.  It's going to go crazy ape sh*t when we do actually lose a game.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20: Aug 14, 2011 10:23:37 pm
      I was happy enough with the team before the game, I was delighted with the team at half time, so I can't really criticise his selections because I am disappointed with the second half. Dalglish will make mistakes but I feel when he does it will be for the right reasons, something I have not always felt with other managers.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #21: Aug 14, 2011 10:36:23 pm
      Of course Kenny will make mistakes and will get criticised for them but I personally feel it's a bit early to start having a go at him after an opening day draw which after today doesn't look like as bad a result as some see it.

Dalglish will make mistakes but I feel when he does it will be for the right reasons, something I have not always felt with other managers.

Good point saint as I'm sure the vast majority of us would agree that Kenny will make his decisions based on what he feels is best for the club and if that means buying and selecting some players some people don't feel are good enough then so be it.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #22: Aug 14, 2011 10:36:31 pm
      Missed pen, Carrol goal wrongly dissallowed, That you might say was 3 - 1. S

Quick Reply