Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Bolton 3 - 1 Liverpool post match anger

Read 69578 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Re: Bolton 3 - 1 Liverpool post match anger
      Reply #920: Jan 22, 2012 12:03:30 am

We had a few results and performances like this under Rafa as well.

Also down to the players letting him down like has happened today to Kenny.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #921: Jan 22, 2012 12:05:55 am
      You were at the game today lad, different to watching it on tv, what were the issues you saw? Any different to what came across?

Lethargic. Off the ball the players were just strolling. After each goal there was always a few players arguing instead of just getting on with game. Very sad.

We had a few results and performances like this under Rafa as well.

Also down to the players letting him down like has happened today to Kenny.

Very true. However, personally, I prefered his tactics. Especially defensively. Not really a knock on Kenny's however. Rafa's tactics were usually second to none.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #922: Jan 22, 2012 12:08:53 am

Very true. However, personally, I prefered his tactics. Especially defensively. Not really a knock on Kenny's however. Rafa's tactics were usually second to none.
      [/quote]

Cant really question Kenny and Steve's team defensively this year though?

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #923: Jan 22, 2012 12:09:00 am

I too am a big fan of Rafa and he is a different man than Kenny.

Kenny will always give the players more freedom and leaves us more open which on a day like today when the players play as badly will result in us getting beat and being made to look sh*t.

I think that is why he appearsso pissed off.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #924: Jan 22, 2012 12:10:46 am
      The owners opened the chequebook for a forward last January. And look at what they got. We need quality players, not emergencies at inflated prices that can't cut the mustard.

The performance made last week look like Brazil. We even threatened to make David Ngog look a decent player.

Nah mate, our owner have not spent a penny on transfers so far, the best that can be said is that they have not taken any money out of the club. Sadly after our last owners that seems a huge improvement, but we need more, we need major investment in the team both now to get back into the top four and in the summer to mount a title challenge.

Sit on their hands now and we risk struggling to bring in the players we need in the summer without the offer of CL football.
      ozziboi7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #925: Jan 22, 2012 12:25:11 am
      Considering that our defense has been very good for the majority of the season i wouldn't put too much blame on the defense today. I think it was just a bad day at the office for the defense! However, it is clear that offensively we have a serious problem! Problem is that I think between Carroll, Hendo, Adam and Downing it isn't working collectively. I don't have a problem with them being in the squad, although i think today just shows that they're not good enough for our starting 11. However, with Luis and Lucas back in the team i think we're only 2 or 3 players away from having a strong enough starting 11 and squad!

Having said that though, it wouldn't matter if we had Messi, Iniesta and Higuain in the team, if they don't show the fight and desire to win the game then it's never going to work. In my eyes Kenny has every right to criticize the team publicly and has done the right thing! Kenny is only responsible for much needed transfer activity, however it's the players responsibility to change the results and certainly the performances!

Carroll - i don't mind him as a player, but he just doesn't fit into the way that we play. To be honest before the start of last season i had never heard of the lad, and his record seemed to suggest that before last season he wasn't exactly prolific when on loan in the championship. Newcastle played to his strengths, which we are not doing, which is a shame not utilizing what he has. But i personally hope that for both Liverpool and Carroll's sake, that he leaves, just because i don't see him fitting in!

Hendo - i think he's being unfairly judged, like has been commented before, you won't get much out of him playing him on the right. He is lacking confidence which is probably why he keeps passing sideways and backwards. But he's one for the future and people are expecting way too much from him, although admittedly £20 million may have been a bit much!

Adam - I though he was more than a  Match Of The Day player, turns out i may be wrong! Always thought for the fee he wouldn't be that bad of a signing, and i still stand by that, mainly because of the quality he provided from set-pieces and his passing ability. But this hasn't been the case. I would still keep him in the squad, but Adam only works in a team where he has a defensive midfielder for him to rely on!

Downing - Apart for the £35 million paid for Carroll, i would say that Downing has been the biggest waste of money. He has certainly been the biggest disappointment by far. Most frustrating of all is that he always makes the right runs and gets into the right positions, but lets himself down with the final ball, whether it be a shot, pass or cross ect. His stats of goals and assists sum up how well he's done so far, and with him past his peak i think he would only serve us well on our bench!
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #926: Jan 22, 2012 12:27:57 am
      I have faith Kenny still has the winning mentality to compete for titles. He's a step away from a Wembley cup final in his first full season despite tough games along the way. My only concern is that he doesn't seem to have a strong personal knowledge of other top leagues and ends up playing 'safe' by buying average British players. If you want skill and imagination go to Spain for it. It'd be a lot more common sense spending £20m on a talented upcoming Spanish player than someone like Stuart Downing, who has been brutally average all his career. Carroll will never live up to his price tag so needs to be gotten rid of ASAP. He simply hasn't got the natural talent to be top class and his fee demands he be top class. So he'll never vindicate his fee and always struggle with the pressure of it.  A bad signing, we're not the first huge club to do that. Get rid and we'll soon forget him by signing a top goalscorer.

Kenny should bring British players through from the academy for free. He needs to spend our big money on top foreign players who are far more likely to become world class. Huntelaar didn't do much at Madrid or Milan but was quality with Suarez at Ajax and is a poacher I reckon would thrive with the Kop behind him. Javi Martinez is another who we could get for midfield and is miles better than Henderson, Adam, Spearing. Kenny needs to leave behind the quest for a mainly British team and look solely for a winning team, whatever the passports.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #927: Jan 22, 2012 12:31:37 am
      Kenny did not seem happy, and rightly so.

Dire performance from the lads
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #928: Jan 22, 2012 12:32:06 am
      Before we descend into the pro/anti Rafa/kenny debate once again,let us remind ourselves,of some relevent facts.Just over a year ago we were on the brink of oblivion,our well respected Manager had been ousted by a corrupt Board,we were heavily in debt to the Banks,and our squad was at best bottom half of the table.NESV came in,and with Ian Ayres guidance,and the removal of the turncoate Purslow,Kenny's reign,has brought stability.There has been tremendous pressure on the "club" to deliver the fan's expectations of success.Whilst I personally question Comolli's commitment to the cause,Kenny takes the burden of failure to achieve,the fan's expectations.We now appear unlikely to achieve a top 4 place with our inconsistent performances,for the sake of the club,I would wish that Kenny is responsible,for the next round of transfer dealings.It's all well and good signing for the future,but the fans need a present success,to spur them on,and a Carling Cup,is not enough.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #929: Jan 22, 2012 12:33:31 am
      Shocking display today. Let's put it behind us and focus on the next match. I'm sure that's what KK will do as well. Not much he can do if the players won't give a reasonable effort. And it's not like he can put them all on the bench to send a message. He's without two of his best players (Suarez and Lucas) and he's dealing with some guys coming off of injuries (Gerrard and Agger). Let's give the King a little bit of a break and let's stay positive. Rome wasn't built in a day. Just hope he has some things up his sleeve for this transfer window as it's closing fast. These guys still need playing time to gel and learn each other's tendencies. LFC will get it done...let's do this.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #930: Jan 22, 2012 12:34:44 am

Whilst I personally question Comolli's commitment to the cause

Can i ask why out of interest?
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #931: Jan 22, 2012 12:37:36 am
      We have small time mentality players brought in from small clubs who thought they should not try yesterday because of two big cup games coming up.

Well I'm afraid we are Liverpool. Not Blackpool, not Sunderland or Villa. We don't get all excited about a cup semi final and decide to F**k ourselves over in a game where we can cut the deficit to 3 in the fight for 4th.

It is not and never will be the Liverpool way!!
      The Equaliser
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #932: Jan 22, 2012 12:38:43 am
       :mad: a lots been said but I believe kenny will sort it out. The fella knows the club inside out and believe me will not be a happy bunny tonight. He surley knows whos not playing well and I dont think he will allow passengers or a lack of passion to go on. The players need to look at themselves, notes to glen, adam and andy in particular.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #933: Jan 22, 2012 12:47:18 am
      Simply because he seems focused on the NESV mantra "for the future",but our Managers are dealing in "real-time".Kenny is expected to get results "now",we are demanding fans,we expect success now,a few years ago,a top 4 league place target was derided as pathetic,we culturally,expected to win the league.After the last 5 years,the struggle and sacrifice that a lot of us have gone through,makes me personally cinical of all but the manager and players,as a "Shankly Boy",that will always be my mentality.
      Teamofthemacs
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      • By that you mean..?
      Reply #934: Jan 22, 2012 12:47:57 am
      I will be very surprised if we don't make the top 4 based on nothing else than blind faith. Am I a zealot?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #935: Jan 22, 2012 12:48:27 am
      Jaysus I was hoping they were moneyball signings because if there not god help us

Cor a moneyball signing would be an under the radar player young player or an established veteran that is coming off an injury or poor season that can be had at a discount on a short term basis. Carroll and Downing would not even come close to it. Enrique, Bellers even Suarez would be considered a "Moneyball" signing.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #936: Jan 22, 2012 12:58:24 am
      Cant really question Kenny and Steve's team defensively this year though?

The over reliance on this defensive strong point is costing us though. Kenny defends passively from the back. Rafa defended aggressively from the front. Both tactics work, however Rafa's were generally more offensive minded with the idea of regaining possession as close to the opposition goal as possible. Just prefer that myself. Scoring never seemed to be an issue under Rafa in the pre-Puslow years.

No point trying so hard not to concede if you don't score. Goals win games. Our goal difference in the table compared to the top four says it all.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #937: Jan 22, 2012 01:02:21 am
      Please God no more wasted Money.Let's face facts,our squad is currently under-performing,I personally believe that Kenny's ideoligy is right at this moment.We are in transition,no knee jerk signings to appease the fans.Of course our expectations are high,just rein in Comolli's mantra for future profit,our league does not provide for the development of potential talent,like most of Europe.We need to buy for next season now.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #938: Jan 22, 2012 01:03:00 am

No point trying so hard not to concede if you don't score. Goals win games. Our goal difference in the table compared to the top four says it all.

Today and the odd performance apart can we really blame Kenny for the side hitting the bar/post 18/19 times this year? Dont you think he will be just as frustrated as any one us for that? Had we taken  two thirds of those our position would look far better, even with the sh*t performances against Bolton and Spurs in there...

I loved Rafa but some of the football in the last year has been better on the eye.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #939: Jan 22, 2012 01:06:49 am
      I loved Rafa but some of the football in the last year has been better on the eye.

True and as much as I loved Rafa some of the football Kenny has us playing has been the best I've see in a while.

Like I said before Kenny seems to let the players express themselves a bit more and can leave us a bit more open and when players play as badly as they done today it may and will result in the odd bad result.
      zxZXzx
      • Forum John Toshack

• 254 posts |
      Reply #940: Jan 22, 2012 01:16:36 am
      First time Bolton have scored three goals in a league against Liverpool since 1950 .

Fahct.

Kenny has officially said it is the worst performance of the team since he returned to the club as manager.

HOWEVER  ..................

Could this be a cunning plan just before the City game ?

Think.

We really couldnt have been that sh*te ...could we ?

Is this Plan 47  to confuse the enemy and give them a false sense of confidence?

Could we have sacrificed three points losing the battle to win the war ?

This is the only reasonable explanation !

Weed must be high class,no other explanation!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #941: Jan 22, 2012 01:21:25 am

Pretty football in the premier league wins you F**k all,just ask arsenal.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #942: Jan 22, 2012 01:22:56 am
      Make no mistake,a place in the Europa League,via the Carling Cup,has no relevance to our top4 ambitions.

Quick Reply