Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Prediction v City?

Through to the final
      (87%)
      Knocked out by City
      (13%)

Liverpool VS Manchester City pre-match thread 25 Jan 2012 19:45

Read 21915 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Liverpool VS Manchester City pre-match thread 25 Jan 2012 19:45
      Reply #46: Jan 23, 2012 04:15:21 pm
      You're right.  Away goals count after extra time.

Any kind of win or a draw would put us through. We can't lose 2-1 even, right?

So basically we shouldn't concede at all.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #47: Jan 23, 2012 04:25:29 pm
      Target Savic at every oppurtunity. A disaster waiting to happen.
      No waiting about it.
      A disaster that happens every game.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #48: Jan 23, 2012 04:26:14 pm
      If it is 2-1 to City after 90 minutes then the game goes into extra-time. If it is still 2-1 to City after 120 minutes, they go through on away goals.

Just thinking about it, and I don't think City will play Savic. I'm expecting them to play Richards at centre back and Zabaletta at right back.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #49: Jan 23, 2012 04:36:58 pm
      I'd put Carroll on him and tell Carroll F**k drifting wide or dropping deep, play on his shoulder and bully the F**k out of him, make him feel like he's back at school, call him names, grab his bollocks what ever it takes !!!

Best post I've read so far. If Carroll was ever right for an opponent its this guy. He's dreadful in the air. Our full backs need to get forward, mainly johnson or kelly whoever plays down the right, bomb on let gerrard give it to them out wide, then play it back to gerrard and let him whip it in with pace. Savic will have a nightmare of a game if we do this. Can't understand why we don't try to get into this position more with Carroll playing.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #50: Jan 23, 2012 04:41:30 pm
      I'd put Carroll on him and tell Carroll f**k drifting wide or dropping deep, play on his shoulder and bully the f**k out of him, make him feel like he's back at school, call him names, grab his bollocks what ever it takes !!!

Exactly, turn Carroll into a bully boy. Tell him to stop sprawling to the floor. Don't drift wide or back as he is sh*te at that. Put a few early crosses on him, Savic wont be able to deal with him.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #51: Jan 23, 2012 04:45:22 pm
      Tempted to stick Gerrard upfront in my team, probably the best forward we have available right now!

I hope to F**k we're up for this one. Kenny's accused some players of looking forward to these two upcoming games rather than the Bolton game so the least those players could do would be to put in a top class shift on Wednesday!

Reina; Kelly, Skrtel, Coates, Enrique; Agger, Shelvey; Johnson, Gerrard, Silva; Morgan.

Won't happen but let some of the kids have a go, they'll be up for it.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #52: Jan 23, 2012 05:04:51 pm
      Biggest match at Anfield since the Europa league semis v. Atletico a couple of seasons ago. Hoping the atmosphere is like those European nights.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #53: Jan 23, 2012 05:08:19 pm
      Wednesday evening can't come quick enough.
      Will have to head down to the pub for this.
      Interestingly I've started to see a lot of Man City kits showing up around our town.
      Still plenty of Liverpool fans about so I don't mind that, but like Chelsea before, I
      do wonder how long these were fans. I suppose I'll find out when the banter starts.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #54: Jan 23, 2012 07:13:11 pm
      Mario Balotelli has been charged by the FA with misconduct over the "stamp" on Scott Parker.

But has until 6pm Wednesday to appeal.  If he doesn't he will be out of the game.

Faces a four game ban as again it's his second red of the season.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #55: Jan 23, 2012 07:48:07 pm
      I just hope that Carrol is not on the pitch for this one.  We need Kuyt and Bellers/Downing up front for us so that we have some sort of threat on the counter.  Kuyt will run his socks off for us and his work rate paired with the pace of Bellamy/Downing could see us snatch a goal on the counter while they are pushing for the equalizer.  I'd also like to see Spearo drafted into the team for this game as well and I'd have him man mark Silva all over the pitch.  Silva is a fantastic player, but Spearo can shackle him if it is his only responsibility all game.  I'd go for:

Pepe
       Kelly  Skrtel  Carra  Agger
      Johno     Spearo        Enrique
                    Gerrard
               Kuyt  Bellamy/Downing

It is basically a back 6 with Enrique and Johno given license to bomb forward down the wings when Richards/Zabaleta and Clichy/Kolarov get caught pushing too far forward.  City will have to play Savic and Lescott as their CB's for this game and it gives me hope how Defoe burned Savic for pace the other day.  I'd have Kuyt stick on Lescott and have Bellamy/Downing running at Savic on the counter all game long.  Gerrard will float and be the one to play the passes for the front two to run onto. 

***  Bellers to start unless he is not fit enough.  ***
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 233 
      Reply #56: Jan 23, 2012 07:48:08 pm
      Rather Mario plays than aguero or dzeko!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #57: Jan 23, 2012 07:52:04 pm
      Rather Mario plays than aguero or dzeko!

I'd be very surprised if he didn't request a personal hearing.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #58: Jan 23, 2012 08:16:48 pm
      I see a post with Toni Silva in the starting line up. I agree.

A kid like him with nothing to lose could be a match winner in a game like this and if nothing else its a kick in the arse for the player dropped from Saturdays team. Also would love to see Morgan get te nod.

Wont happen though
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #59: Jan 23, 2012 08:46:02 pm
      Manchester City's Mario Balotelli has been charged with violent conduct by the Football Association after appearing to stamp on Scott Parker.

Balotelli, who has until 1800 GMT on Wednesday to respond to the charge, came on as a 65th-minute substitute against Spurs.

If he accepts his charge, Balotelli will miss Wednesday's Carling Cup semi-final second leg against Liverpool at Anfield.

Full story at BBC, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16693521.stm

I really hope we can do this, but after Saturday, who knows.

Which team will turn up?
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #60: Jan 23, 2012 08:47:02 pm
      I see a post with Toni Silva in the starting line up. I agree.

A kid like him with nothing to lose could be a match winner in a game like this and if nothing else its a kick in the arse for the player dropped from Saturdays team. Also would love to see Morgan get te nod.

Wont happen though

I like the enthusiasm, and I want some of the young lads to be given a shot as well, but this is the most important game of our season!  We are one result away from Wembly and our first chance at a trophy in years.  We need to field the best team we have to make sure we get there. 

The one youngster that I could see being given a go in this game is Raheem Sterling.  His pace and dribbling ability on the counter attack could cause Lescott and Savic nightmares, and he has a knack for scoring goals! 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #61: Jan 23, 2012 08:47:47 pm
      Going to get twatted to within an inch of our lives if we play like we did at Bolton. So lets go out there and put that result behind us by reaching the final, to long since we've been in a final!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #62: Jan 23, 2012 08:58:37 pm
      I expect Anfield to be rocking. I expect the 11 in red on the pitch to be fired up and give every ounce of energy and effort they have.

This might be "only" a league cup tie but we need to make it like a European night.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #63: Jan 23, 2012 09:02:19 pm
      This match gives us an opportunity to have a crack at some Silverware. Let's F***ing rumble Boys.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #64: Jan 23, 2012 09:06:47 pm
      I cant wait.... Lets give them a true Anfield night match atmosphere.......

Any news on Jay yet? Rellay hoping he is fit and i never thought id hear myself say that on the eve of a big game. Fair play to the lad, he has come on leaps and bounds.
      willkopite
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #65: Jan 23, 2012 09:18:18 pm
      Would it be reasonable to suggest that the largest game thus far is almost upon us.
      Any result other than we go through would hint at question marks against Comolli’s player selection, Clarke’s tactic’s and King Kenny's leadership. Love the Reds dearly, but feeling slightly pessimistic. Will someone tell me I’m wrong.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #66: Jan 23, 2012 09:26:15 pm
      Would it be reasonable to suggest that the largest game thus far is almost upon us.
      Any result other than we go through would hint at question marks against Comolli’s player selection, Clarke’s tactic’s and King Kenny's leadership. Love the Reds dearly, but feeling slightly pessimistic. Will someone tell me I’m wrong.

How can one result against the current best side in the league lead to those question marks?

We will all be gutted if the result goes against us but loosing one game cant make you jump to that?

Win = Best side in the world  :scarf:

Lose = Sack the lot we are sh*t  :depressed:

Really?

But just to make you feel better you're wrong  :hug: (That better?)
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #67: Jan 23, 2012 09:27:53 pm

This is definitely the biggest game of our season, but I think the pessimism you are feeling is misguided anxiety about the importance of this game mixed with the lingering bad taste left in your mouth by the Bolton defeat.  We are a good team, and we are more than capable of getting a result against City at home.  All we need is a draw - City need to win.  If we play smart and sit deep and play on the counter, we will be fine.  I have confidence that Kenny will guide us through to the final!!  IKWT
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #68: Jan 23, 2012 09:32:27 pm
      I really hope we can get a good result to put us into the final. Or heck, any result.

Alot of people say it's a Mickey Mouse trophy after they get knocked out of it but the fact is, we still had to beat the good teams to get to the final.

It's also been too long since we won a trophy, been in a final or better yet, played in Wembley.

Quick Reply