Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Any South Wales Reds Going To Take Cardiff Up on Their Offer......

Read 6485 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Any South Wales Reds Going To Take Cardiff Up on Their Offer......
      Feb 02, 2012 10:18:18 pm
      Cardiff City's shirt amnesty for Liverpool FC fans

Cardiff City have launched a shirt 'amnesty' where supporters are encouraged to swap their Liverpool shirt for a Bluebirds top.

Cardiff want to turn south Wales-based Liverpool fans away from the Premier League club and support their local team instead.

The two sides meet in the Carling Cup final at Wembley on 26 February.

Fans bringing in their Liverpool shirts will be given a £12 discount on a Cardiff top.

The unwanted tops will be given to children's charities in Liverpool.

"Cardiff City has always been well supported locally and we are proud of our fan base as it continues to grow year on year," said a club statement.

"City shirts can be seen in high at soccer schools, five a side games - more than ever used to be the case, which is fantastic to see."

It added: "We are now giving the many south Wales-based Liverpool supporters the opportunity to fully support their local club, becoming a Bluebird by supporting Cardiff City in the final and beyond.

"Therefore we are launching a shirt 'amnesty', turning south Wales a royal and loyal blue.

"The mission is clear. Help turn Cardiff true blue by getting your Liverpool supporting mates to put down their remote controls.

"The real action, their local team is at CF11, only a short distance away."

The club said the amnesty would take in the club shop and applied to current 2011/12 shirts only, not including special edition shirts.

It is the second amnesty of its kind Cardiff City have run.

Soon after former owner Sam Hammam took over the club in 2000, he held an amnesty to get fans to hand in English club shirts for a Cardiff one.

He had controversially planned to burn them but backed down after criticism and gave them to charity instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-16855256

The sheep-shaggers getting desperate in case we take over Wembley!!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Re: Any South Wales Reds Going To Take Cardiff Up on Their Offer......
      Reply #1: Feb 02, 2012 10:30:49 pm
      I know lots of lads who used to follow the Reds and even attended games on a regular basis, then Cardiff started climbing up the leagues and suddenly they changed and had drastically become life long City fans.

Its just beyond me and I still cant understand it. We dont need these types of fans anyway, if Cardiff did drop in the future so would their fan base (again)!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2: Feb 03, 2012 12:14:48 am
      Offer Cardiff an amnesty.

Hand theirs into an Oxfam shop and wear a real football club shirt.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #3: Feb 03, 2012 01:37:08 am
      I actually know a dude from Melbourne who 'was' a 'Liverpool supporter' but after living in England for a while started following Cardiff last year in the Championship because it was 'more exciting' and had 'more chance of success' (typical air headed c**t jumped off us for Cardiff during the Hodgson reign). I wonder what he is thinking now that the King is in and we're going to beat them in the final!!
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #4: Feb 03, 2012 01:44:50 am
      If anyone is willing to hand in a Liverpool shirt for another then Cardiff can have those fans.

It is understandable though. Liverpool are a Premier League club and close to Wales and most people follow a Premier League club in England aswel as their local side. I do expect Wembley to be taken over by us no matter what.

I hope to be one of us :)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Feb 03, 2012 06:16:36 am
       How the hell can a Cardiff shirt be worth the same as a Liverpool shirt,I would not swap any of my Liverpool shirts for another clubs shirt.I feel immense pride when I wear my Liverpool shirt I would probably feel like a tramp (and a traitor) if I wore a shirt from another club.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #6: Feb 03, 2012 06:42:44 am
      Can't see the sense in the offer to be honest, it doesn't go on around here but supporting two clubs is not unusal in Scotland, Ireland and for that matter Wales and people are quite happy with the arrangement.
      To ask them to switch allegiance overnight is a plastic gesture the implication is your loyalty is as thin as the shirt on your back.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #7: Feb 03, 2012 06:51:31 am
      supporting two clubs is not unusal in Scotland, Ireland and for that matter Wales and people are quite happy with the arrangement.

Sorry, just think its shocking!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #8: Feb 03, 2012 08:32:53 am
      Sorry, just think its shocking!
      I suppose there are situations when the glory hunter flag can be waived at some multi club merchants but there are supporters who live in the places mentioned who don't get the chance to see LFC for instance as much as they would like and support a local team as well.
      Celtic followers are supposed to support Liverpool because of some vague religious connection and there are areas of Ireland apparently where support for LFC and manUre is widespread, no doubt a local team also gets some support.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #9: Feb 03, 2012 08:40:37 am
      We shag them, then you eat them :D

I'm on the doorstep of the Liberty Stadium so obviously I wouldn't wear a blue bird shirt if you paid me.

As demonstrated.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,545 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #10: Feb 03, 2012 08:41:46 am
      I actually know a dude from Melbourne who 'was' a 'Liverpool supporter' but after living in England for a while started following Cardiff last year in the Championship because it was 'more exciting' and had 'more chance of success' (typical air headed c**t jumped off us for Cardiff during the Hodgson reign). I wonder what he is thinking now that the King is in and we're going to beat them in the final!!
      He probably supports LFC again
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #11: Feb 03, 2012 11:40:10 am
      I know lots of lads who used to follow the Reds and even attended games on a regular basis, then Cardiff started climbing up the leagues and suddenly they changed and had drastically become life long City fans.

Its just beyond me and I still cant understand it. We dont need these types of fans anyway, if Cardiff did drop in the future so would their fan base (again)!

I'm from Hull originally.. Yes Hull..lolol.. (Still proud as fook by the way) and it was the same back home... I've been "Daan saarf" for 15 years but growing up, everyone was LFC/Hull FC fans. As soon as Hull City reached the prem I noticed more fake die hard City fans everywhere?? What a joke.. Fortunately, my lot remained Reds and could never be seen to be that shallow. As soon as Hull City were sh*te again and dropped out the prem.. More Reds shirts?? *sigh*
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #12: Feb 03, 2012 01:06:22 pm
      I have never heard anything of the kind. Absolute madness. If anything good can come from it, at least it goes to Liverpool child charities.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Feb 03, 2012 01:32:54 pm
      Can't see the sense in the offer to be honest, it doesn't go on around here but supporting two clubs is not unusal in Scotland, Ireland and for that matter Wales and people are quite happy with the arrangement.
      To ask them to switch allegiance overnight is a plastic gesture the implication is your loyalty is as thin as the shirt on your back.

1 life 1 club

Otherwise your a fake. How can ye support a team and then decide a few years later to change sides? If Bohemians in Dublin all of a sudden became the best side in Europe winning champions leagues Im not going to say goodbye to Liverpool and take up supporting Bohs even though they are down the road.

Wrong or right its Liverpool that grabbed hold of me and its here Ill stay and so should anyone who statrted off with us
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #14: Feb 03, 2012 02:43:18 pm
      You've got to hand it to Cardiff for this comedy publicity stunt.

I'm all for part-timers handing in their Liverpool shirts so hope it's a roaring success for them.

We could use all these shirts back in Liverpool to give to worthwhile charity cases.  Like Evertonians.
      JQ
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #15: Feb 03, 2012 04:57:10 pm
      You will find people  from Ireland saying they support 2 clubs, club from every country/ league etc. but you also get loyal liverpool supporters from Ireland ..I'm Irish but have supported the club all my life as did my father as did his father....just wanted to put that point across in case we all get painted with the same brush :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #16: Feb 03, 2012 05:21:59 pm
      You will find people  from Ireland saying they support 2 clubs, club from every country/ league etc. but you also get loyal liverpool supporters from Ireland ..I'm Irish but have supported the club all my life as did my father as did his father....just wanted to put that point across in case we all get painted with the same brush :)

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:  ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Feb 03, 2012 05:30:40 pm
      Who is Rod Spensel ?
      A painter from Huyton?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #18: Feb 03, 2012 05:39:47 pm
      Who is Rod Spensel ?
      A painter from Huyton?

No according to google it's a Red Brush!!
      Harry_Beadles
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      • He who laughs last didn't get it.
      Reply #19: Feb 03, 2012 05:42:59 pm
      Nope they can F**k right off!!!!

Although I am planning on making use of there buses to Wembley and know of a few other reds doing the same. Including one from Liverpool (wonder if any one will notice).
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Feb 03, 2012 06:04:00 pm
      My granddad is from Swansea so I've always kept a keen eye on the Swans, but I don't "support" them. I'm in the US, and I know far too many allegiance-swappers. I've seen a couple people I know go from Inter Milan fans to Barcelona fans overnight. I always laugh.
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #21: Feb 03, 2012 11:21:43 pm
      I think it's a pretty pathetic attempt to gain more support from Cardiff in all honesty and people who are that way inclined to change what football team they support like they change their socks aint going too pick a Championship team, are they? No. They will go and support Citeh or United. Pr*cks the lot of them.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #22: Feb 04, 2012 02:59:46 am

Are you Anne Robinson in disguise hr or what?  You (quite rightly) take offence when oppo fans call scousers unpleasant names / labels, but you persist in dishing out this crap.

I hope Craig Bellamy doesn't read this to see what you think of him.  What do you shout when he scores a goal?

I used to rate you highly as a poster, but your continuing pops at the welsh F**k me off so much, I'm angry now.  Why do you do it?  Baffles me.

As for the article's content, it stinks of desperation to me.  Hard core supporters will always be just that, they'll hang on to their shirts.  Who cares about the rest really?

Quick Reply