Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Will next year really be our year?

Read 11037 times
      r.i.c
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Re: Will next year really be our year?
      Reply #92: Mar 31, 2012 11:37:11 am
      If anyone expects it to be your expecting way to much.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #93: Mar 31, 2012 09:13:45 pm
      Are you on drugs my friend??
      What sort of rant is this??
      Please read my post properly, I wasn't even refering to LFC I said and I repeat
      "THE ENTIRE GAME"  again FM
      Are you on drugs my friend??
      What sort of rant is this??
      Please read my post properly, I wasn't even refering to LFC I said and I repeat
      "THE ENTIRE GAME"  again FM
      No definitely not on drugs mate,if you read my post correctlt you will see I was referring to some of the changes that had occurred over the last 45 years.The Bosman affected every club,the laws of the game affected every club and yes our club was affected by the ownership of Twit and tw*t.Also I reiterate that it does not matter what changes I will continue to support Liverpool Football Club.Now if you want to put this down as a rant feel free.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,120 posts | 3370 
      Reply #94: Mar 31, 2012 09:16:29 pm
      Don't you think the entire game has changed a slight tad in the last 45 YEARS FM

No lad I don't.

If you score more goals than your opposition and you win the game, just like you did 45 years ago. So the most important part of the game hasn't changed. Also I think it was Ronnie Moran who constantly said the size of the pitch and goal remain the same.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,277 posts | 930 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #95: Mar 31, 2012 10:25:38 pm
      I honestly reckon we will. Just need a world class striker.
      And a centre back an attaking midfielder, a right midfielder a striker...........
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #96: Mar 31, 2012 11:09:55 pm
      Don't you think the entire game has changed a slight tad in the last 45 YEARS FM
      Aye we play with a square ball these days...and Billy grows marijuana in his loft.

Get a life mate.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #97: Mar 31, 2012 11:16:55 pm
      Of course the game has changed especially in the last fifteen years.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #98: Apr 01, 2012 12:57:57 am
      I'm afraid we are currently paying the price for the previous 5 years of relying on reputation. Under Hicks and Gillette we stood still. In that time City, Totenham and Chelsea ran past us. Then you add in United and Arsenal then it becomes a big problem.
      .Top post mate,those pair of tw&ts set us back 5 years in our title building efforts.Of course Rafa made mistakes,but our previous ownership,reversed any ambitions on achieving a title winning squad.Let's remember that on this website severel years ago,"having a top 4 ambition",was viewed with derision,we deserved a "title".Now reality has kicked in,and regrettably,we,the Manager and owners,have to accept that the re-building will take a "generation".There will be no "quick-fixes",we will have to seek out un-fashionable signings,who don't demand ECL status as a reason for signing for LFC.We will have to stop paying top wages to "journey-men" quality players,we will have to dispose of under-performing "star players".Basically we will have to revert,to our Shankly Roots,and we have the right man to do this.What he needs,is old fashioned "fans belief" that the great man had.The game is more important than life or death,and I believe that we might be prone to question our heritage,unfairly in the next few weeks,stay strong Redmen.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #99: Apr 01, 2012 09:01:37 am
      No lad I don't.

If you score more goals than your opposition and you win the game, just like you did 45 years ago. So the most important part of the game hasn't changed. Also I think it was Ronnie Moran who constantly said the size of the pitch and goal remain the same.
      You are of course entitled to your opinion.
      Whether or not the goal size, or indeed the pitch size has stayed the same. However, the billions of pounds now in the game have transformed the sport beyond all recognition, a fact anybody would have to acknowledge.
      As you know unless you are within the "top four" we will, like it or not be considered also ran’s, particularly by any banks , investing owners and maybe more importantly the perception of any worthwhile player considering joining us.
      It’s not just a case of winning now you also have to produce a return on capital, and or a strengthening balance sheet, a notion unheard of in 66. Like your Ronnie Moran quote these are unassailable facts, unfortunately.
      That how the game has changed!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #100: Apr 01, 2012 10:21:25 am
      Of course the game has changed especially in the last fifteen years.

It's changed and evolved every year since the game went professional.  Tactics, formations, fitness levels, rules, speed of the game, the decrease in respect shown to referees by both players and fans.  It'll change in the future as well.  The basics are the same, keep the ball out of your net, stick it in the oppositions.

If nothing had changed, we'd still be watching teams play 2-3-5 and gathering for a half-time smoke.

I think some people get angry because the style of play when they grew up with has gone, but the kids of today will have the same, inevitable argument in thirty years time. I also know they'll hope it's 'their' year, like we all do every Summer, what I hope is one day for my hope to match the realistic expectations.

MsGerrard
      Reply #101: Apr 01, 2012 04:15:54 pm
      Not after today's performance, feel really let down today  :(

Honestly feel like we're a long way away from next year being 'our year'
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,120 posts | 3370 
      Reply #102: Apr 01, 2012 04:31:17 pm
      You are of course entitled to your opinion.
      Whether or not the goal size, or indeed the pitch size has stayed the same. However, the billions of pounds now in the game have transformed the sport beyond all recognition, a fact anybody would have to acknowledge.
      As you know unless you are within the "top four" we will, like it or not be considered also ran’s, particularly by any banks , investing owners and maybe more importantly the perception of any worthwhile player considering joining us.
      It’s not just a case of winning now you also have to produce a return on capital, and or a strengthening balance sheet, a notion unheard of in 66. Like your Ronnie Moran quote these are unassailable facts, unfortunately.
      That how the game has changed!

Parts of the game have changed - the business side of the game. However the fundamentals of the sporting side of the game remain well and truly the same as they have throughout the history of the game. Score more than your opponents and you win the game, you win enough games you win trophies, you win enough trophies you get that return on capital.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #103: Apr 01, 2012 04:47:24 pm
      No unfortunately I dont think next or the year after will be our winning year... some ingredients have been added to a winning mentality but so much is still wrong... I think we need a central mid who pull the strings and make the offensive pass 90/100! An Alonsoesk is needed so bad and more so when you consider Gerrard will be hangin them up in next few years....

Would be happy with champs league footy 13/14!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,844 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #104: Apr 02, 2012 06:43:37 am
      Not after today's performance, feel really let down today  :(

Honestly feel like we're a long way away from next year being 'our year'

Exactly mate, the lads aren't giving us much to be confident about are they?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #105: Apr 02, 2012 11:03:09 am
      Exactly mate, the lads aren't giving us much to be confident about are they?

No Aussie they're not  :(

I would like to see in the last few games of the season, some real commitment and passion from the players, make it look like they really want to play for the most decorated club in the Premiership.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #106: Apr 02, 2012 11:19:14 am
      I think next year will be a second step in NESV plan to bring back Liverpool to the very top for around 2015.
      We are one third of the way.

1. test and integrate some of the best youth to the squad if not to the starters, like Kelly, Flanagan, Spearing, etc... (done)
      2. deal with the dead wood left by Hodgson and Benitez to avoid insane wages bill (done, or half done as some are still on loan)
      3. recruit some more young players to be the future core of the team, like Henderson, most of them british to deal with the 25 men squad rule, and add several potential future stars in the academy (done)
      4. win some minors trophies to restore winning mentality (done)

5. be back in europa (next year)
      6. recruit a few better international players something being a club winning trophies and in europa league allow (to do)
      7. finish in top 4 (to do) eventually also winning some more trophies on the way
      8. be back in CL (to do)
      9. recruit some world class players something being a club in CL allow (to do)
      10. win the league (to do)
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #107: Apr 02, 2012 11:26:16 am
      And a centre back an attaking midfielder, a right midfielder a striker...........
      No I stick to what I said earlier. One world class striker will do me. I would rather do that then sign the likes of Bent, Cattermole, N Zogbia Cahill etc.
      The reason for us failing in the later of the season is not because the lack of quality it's because of us being sick and tired of being so unlucky in games, of course that is no way of going about it.

I must admit though Tez a quality winger would be nice but a world class striker is first on my list.

red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #108: Apr 02, 2012 11:51:26 am
      Lots of negatives on here ,and after the last game rightfully so ! Our team right now is just a bunch of players turning up for a kick about and not being a team ,the important thing is to get into winning ways ,no matter how ugly or lucky,it,s not always the best team that wins the titles , as DLS posts ,it,s about scoring the most goals ,and hopefully not conceding ,....basic stuff really , no we won,t win the league next year on current form and current team, we need the steel in midfield to put the ,bite,back and capable goals scorers whose sole purpose is to stick it in the net ! Cheer up people ....it doesn't,t get any worse than this ,and the only way is upwards

Quick Reply