Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

'The Importance of the 'Spine Team'

Read 7078 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      'The Importance of the 'Spine Team'
      Apr 04, 2012 02:34:59 am
      *Apologies to staff if a relevant topic exists. Felt it deserved a fresh debate*

Firstly, I was struck with nostalgia this evening.  When I stumbled across an image of what used to be...

This team photo was taken, before kick-off, during our historic win over Real Madrid in the Champions League, March 2009.

Tell me this sight wasn't brilliant. That you felt at ease, that finally, we had a squad that was strong enough to take on any team, and compete for any trophy that we set our sights on.

We were a scary side to play against. A force to be reckoned with, the future was bright.  We finished the season in 2nd place, missing out on the League Title by 4 points. Too many draws at home...

Fast forward 3 years & 2 dismal seasons later, three of those important spine players are playing their trade elsewhere.  Although we did receive good business for each. (Although the Alonso & Mascherano fee's went 'missing', in to the back pockets of H&G).

So how have we replaced these all important figures in the spine of the team?

You could agree that we've had a definite step up in central defensive play, with Lucas Leiva, after the parting of Mascherano.

And what else could also be argued, that we've had one world class striker for another, in Luis Suarez. But that was Rafa's team. And the above team stayed that way (with the exemption of Johnson, who was signed the following summer) until he departed the club.

With Kenny in charge now, (and with the assistance of Damien Comolli on transfers). We've moaned, we've groaned, and once or twice rejoiced with some of the players coming in.

2009 Spine;
      Reina
      Carragher
      Mascherano
      Alonso
      Gerrard
      Torres.

Our spine team has been a story of two tales this season, due to injuries. So I've missed out Agger, Johnson, Lucas, & Bellamy.

2012 Spine;
      Reina
      Enrique
      Skrtel
      Gerrard
      Suarez

We're just not the venomous Liverpool, that we used to be. We seem to be stable at the back, probably our strongest point in the squad. But we're simply not enough winning games. Squad consistency has been poor, selection & form wise.

Reina, who has always been one of our stand out players, is having a rather 'off season'. With Stevie, age & injuries seem to have taken their toll on his impact of play.  Suarez just doesn't appear to be the 20/30 goal a season striker, that he was in Holland.

The jury is still out there for the likes of Adam, Henderson, Downing, & Carroll, should any of them become important figures in the future.

Agger & Johnson always appear to be out with an injury. We all know once Lucas is fit, he normally doesn't miss a game. Even our 'captain fantastic' Steven Gerrard, could find himself back on the sidelines.  And out of the spine, as Carragher has sadly found himself.

So where do we go from here?

Summer 2012 is going to be a tricky one for us in the transfer market.  As we are out of the race for a Champions League place, currently lying 8th. The lure on star players will be a harder to get them to 'join the FSG plan'.

Will any of our under-performing signings become spine players in, 1 - 2 seasons time? What about 'the kids'? We've had a couple of them step up to the plate. Kelly and Spearing certainly have made a statement in proving themselves, when given the chance.

Maybe we need to start again.

Come what may.

IKWT
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: 'The Importance of the 'Spine Team'
      Reply #1: Apr 04, 2012 05:49:37 am
      That team makes me want to cry. To think they use to beat Rafa with the 'crap transfer policy' stick is just fantastical. I mean our spine now is his apart from Suarez, even Babel looked better on his day than Adam or Downing. My question is that if Rafa knew the spanish market and could exploit this with astute pick ups (especially  at the ~1o mill range) what is Commolli doing. Presumably we need to have a quota of british players under the new rules. Even Rafa was starting to do this. Presumably our youth development plans are well underway as Rafa started this a while ago. If Commolli is director of football presumably signings are his area, not really Kenny's. Quite honestly the 80 million spent on Carroll, Henderson, Downing and Adam has been at this point spunked. Compared to Alonso, Mascherano, Torres and Agger say. What is the reason for this?
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #2: Apr 04, 2012 06:42:33 am
      I can understand you not having Agger in your spine but Lucas is one for sure. His injury was a one off. He isnt injury prone, cant wait to see him back.

Hopefully we can add to the spine this summer. Every position doesnt have to be covered but just most.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,643 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Apr 04, 2012 06:46:12 am
      What a night that was.
      #depressingtopics
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #4: Apr 04, 2012 07:28:11 am
      Tell me this sight wasn't brilliant. That you felt at ease, that finally, we had a squad that was strong enough to take on any team, and compete for any trophy that we set our sights on.

That it was Court.

There can be no underestimating the damage done to this club by Hicks & Gillett... their selling of players to pay down debt and their broken promises to others. It took four seasons to get that team to that point and three transfer windows to decimate it.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #5: Apr 04, 2012 09:50:43 am
      It took four seasons to get that team to that point and three transfer windows to decimate it.

That it did BBB and people thought Kenny could fix it in one, the mind boggles .
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #6: Apr 04, 2012 09:54:24 am
      What a F***ing team. Number 1 ranked in europe. Long while before we see a team like that again. Looking at that makes me wanna cry when i see us now compared to that team
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,320 posts | 4956 
      Reply #7: Apr 04, 2012 09:59:31 am
      When you look at that photo and see the 'weak' links in the team are players as good as Aurelio, Arbeloa and,  on his day, Babel it really does show how good a side we had back then.

But we all know the reasons why we don't have such a side now and it will take a bit of time to get back there.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Apr 04, 2012 10:07:06 am
      The spine of the team was a philosophy Bill Shankly used,he believed you should have a good goalkeeper,centre half and centre forward and then fill in the other positions.Now who could argue with Tommy Lawrence,Rowdy Yeats and Ian StJohn right down the middle,they were the catalyst to our successes.
                                                The players in the photo taken before the kickoff against Real Madrid look as though they wanted to take Real apart,and they did.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,643 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Apr 04, 2012 10:15:07 am
      Leaders all over the pitch then too.
      Best Liverpool team of my generation and probably will be for a long time.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #10: Apr 04, 2012 10:15:44 am
      I think you could easily make a topic about how important Alonso was to the spine of our team, but that might open up a can of worms for some.

Great picture that, anyway.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #11: Apr 04, 2012 10:18:43 am
      Mascherano is a massive loss as well looking at him last night made me sad thinking of what we sold him for
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #12: Apr 04, 2012 10:22:26 am
      What a great post Court.
      That picture really hammers home how ridiculously good we were that season and there's no doubt we shouldve won the league as well.

The spine of that team, at that time, could have played for any of the top teams in world football. Can the same be said now?
      No F***ing chance!!

It took Rafa a few years to create that team and who knows maybe Kenny can do the same but if your comparing that spine to today's then we have no chance anytime soon.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #13: Apr 04, 2012 10:24:00 am
      Mascherano is a massive loss as well looking at him last night made me sad thinking of what we sold him for

Very true, and though Lucas is a different defensive midfielder to him, I do think that loss has been tempered somewhat by our Brazilian's best form to date of recent years. In fact you could argue that since Alonso and Mascherano left Lucas has really come into his own.

Still prone to complete lack of judgment is Masch though, what was he doing playing Nocerino onside for Milan's goal last night for example..
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #14: Apr 04, 2012 10:28:08 am
      Still some people blamed Rafa and wanted him out.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4594 
      Reply #15: Apr 04, 2012 11:09:05 am
      Take out Gerrard & Carra out of the pic what is the combined purchase price for all the rest of the players in the pic?

Is it about £75-£80 million?
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #16: Apr 04, 2012 11:25:32 am
      It would be great to have one again and I'm not talking about four or five key players in a team.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #17: Apr 04, 2012 11:32:44 am
      Take out Gerrard & Carra out of the pic what is the combined purchase price for all the rest of the players in the pic?

Is it about £75-£80 million?

Not sure, but under £100 million "for sure".

Now I wouldn't mind the media claiming Kenny has spent over £100 million so far if the first team looked like that! ;)
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #18: Apr 04, 2012 12:08:14 pm
      Reina
      Agger
      Skrtel
      Lucas
      Gerrard
      Suarez

That's our spine now, fully fit. They haven't played a minute together this season afaik.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #19: Apr 04, 2012 12:12:39 pm
      You put IKWT at the end of the post.
      That was positive.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20: Apr 04, 2012 12:13:31 pm
      Not sure, but under £100 million "for sure".

Now I wouldn't mind the media claiming Kenny has spent over £100 million so far if the first team looked like that! ;)

But Kenny's team has already won more than that team ever won. Possibly the best Liverpool team to win nothing. Only 4 players out of that team ever won anything at Liverpool before Kenny, 5 of those players have already won something under Kenny.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #21: Apr 04, 2012 12:14:37 pm
      Will they ever with Agger and Gerrard injuries play together.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,320 posts | 4956 
      Reply #22: Apr 04, 2012 12:17:45 pm
      Reina
      Agger
      Skrtel
      Lucas
      Gerrard
      Suarez

That's our spine now, fully fit. They haven't played a minute together this season afaik.

Add the fullbacks we have to that side and it is only really the wide areas and up front the where we appear weak.

Quick Reply