Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The League

Read 4493 times
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      The League
      May 16, 2012 03:57:36 am
      How far away do you feel this club is away from reaching number 19? There are people who say 'one poacher away' or things like that and there are people who think we need 6-8 players. Some people think we need a new manager and some people think we need to keep Dalglish at the helm. How far away do you think we are?
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Re: The League
      Reply #1: May 16, 2012 04:55:08 am
      To be honest Barney if we sign three good players Striker, winger, attacking mid who can play on the wing at times, with Kenny staying well make top four then the next season hopefully we dont need to sign players and win the league as the team will be good enough after gelling for one season.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2: May 16, 2012 07:01:52 am
      To be honest Barney if we sign three good players Striker, winger, attacking mid who can play on the wing at times, with Kenny staying well make top four then the next season hopefully we dont need to sign players and win the league as the team will be good enough after gelling for one season.

The Answer.
      johnolly
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #3: May 16, 2012 08:01:22 am
      Good answer big Andy, and I agree although I would make it two wide players. I like to compare our team to the current champions to see how far away we are. How many of our squad would get into their team? This would be our world class players, stevie, johnno, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Suarez. Possibly Enrique? Would IMO get into their team or are at least on a par with what they have. That only makes us 4 short of a world class first 11.
      Now add to this our very exciting youth team coming through where I can see 4 or 5 players coming through over the next three seasons, and they are like 10-20 million savings! Sterling, suso, coady, flanno, robbo, wisdom and texiera I think will all progress.

Andy carrol,Henderson, and jonjo are all very young and will only improve.

The future looks good to me but as Andy says we just need them to gel.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #4: May 16, 2012 08:36:03 am
      I like all the optimism but I think we're years away. The league table doesn't lie and for years we've been well down the pecking order. City have spent £400m on players the past 3 years and pipped United on goal difference. Chelsea are going to spend big again especially if they win on Saturday. Arsenal's stadium revenue puts them well ahead of us and Arsène Wenger is one of the best managers in the world. Tottenham and Newcastle are by no means insurmountable but Spurs will spend again because that's how 'Arry does it.

I reckon looking within across the board, we need a spare left back/wing back to give Erique a rest now and again; 4 new midfielders to include 2 wingers a spare holding player and a creative influence for a new striker.

If and when we get all that we should give Kenny the chance to see where he can take us, my fear is seemingly a dawning reality - we won't have all that investment and pressure will be on management as it has been the past week.
      Kop_it
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | 13 
      Reply #5: May 16, 2012 08:52:21 am
      I think all we need are productive wingers. One that can scored and provide useful crosses to our forwards.

But I'm no Dalglish. We don't know what Dalglish and co are planning. But we'll see what happens.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #6: May 16, 2012 10:12:31 am

This.

For me we're 3 players that Andy's mentioned from having a challenging squad, throw into the mix the gelling the squad will get from those players coming in and from the resulting wins, chuck in some of the luck we were short of last season and there you have it, the perfect mix for success.

Also I'm sure as sure can be that Kenny will give the kids a good run in the Europa resulting give them and the squad a much needed boost.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #7: May 16, 2012 10:32:05 am
      How far away do you feel this club is away from reaching number 19?

We're at least 3 attacking players short of making a serious challenge for it.

Obviously 89 points is enormous, but from what I saw of most of our football - up until this mythical 4th place disappeared after the Arsenal game, we were on the whole, creating plenty of chances.  Torres 3 years ago in our team this season and I genuinely believe we would have finished a comfortable 3rd.

I'll bet even some of our 7 missed penalties even cost us a fair few points.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: May 16, 2012 10:37:06 am
      Looking at the spine of our squad:

Reina

Skrtel                  Agger

Lucas

Gerrard

Suarez

That's a very good spine.
      Biggest problem being Agger, Lucas and Gerrard not having suitable replacements.
      Was shocked to find out that spine hasn't played a minute of football together.

We need a partner/replacement for Lucas and a minimum of three attack minded players.

Also we have lost
      Alonso, Mascherano and Torres (Players at their peak)
      and replaced them with
      Adam, Spearing, Carroll.
      We've effectively had a generation stripped out of our midfield and forward line up.
      Only our defense is truly at their peak.

I'd also like us to sign a few more arseholes.
      Players that can grab the game by the scruff.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: May 16, 2012 10:43:11 am
      I like all the optimism but I think we're years away.

Bet some Newcastle fans felt like that about 4th place when Ashley was selling Carroll, Enrique etc.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #10: May 16, 2012 10:45:48 am
      Looking at the spine of our squad:

Reina

Skrtel                  Agger

Lucas

Gerrard

Suarez

That's a very good spine.
      Biggest problem being Agger, Lucas and Gerrard not having suitable replacements.
      Was shocked to find out that spine hasn't played a minute of football together.

We need a partner/replacement for Lucas and a minimum of three attack minded players.
      I think you could add to that spine Racer our Fullbacks. Enrique wasn't great in the second half of the season but i do believe his performances at the start of the season were worthy of the left back spot for Spain now looks like not, but it just comes down to confidence. We have seen what he has done and im sure he can do it again.
      I wouldn't call Johnson one of our best players but i do believe he can start in most teams the the league. He hasn't done to much wrong in defence and is great going forward so i see why not he wouldn't be in the spine especially the experience he has as we have a quite young squad.
      Just imagine Johnson and Kelly forming together you would have one hell of a player.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: May 16, 2012 10:59:09 am
      I think you could add to that spine Racer our Fullbacks. Enrique wasn't great in the second half of the season but i do believe his performances at the start of the season were worthy of the left back spot for Spain now looks like not, but it just comes down to confidence. We have seen what he has done and im sure he can do it again.
      I wouldn't call Johnson one of our best players but i do believe he can start in most teams the the league. He hasn't done to much wrong in defence and is great going forward so i see why not he wouldn't be in the spine especially the experience he has as we have a quite young squad.
      Just imagine Johnson and Kelly forming together you would have one hell of a player.

True we could add full backs to that as we are doing well with Kelly, Johnson and Enrique.

I think that has been evident in our league stats. Goals conceded is enough for a top four spot.
      Goals scored is relegation territory. For me that's because from midfield forward we have weakened
      over the last few years. Alonso, Mascherano, Torres - Not replaced and as a result we have suffered
      massively.

Big money spent on Henderson, Adam, Downing and Carroll. Only problem is that they
      haven't delivered. Yes we targeted the right areas to improve the squad, but our recruitment has
      been appalling. We'll have to address the very same areas in the summer to get ourselves firing up
      front again.

We have to find the right players rather than forking out 20 - 30 million on potential.
      For that money we should have been buying instant impact, like a Falcao or Sanchez.
      The longer we stay out of The Champions League the less likely signings like that become.

That leaves us trying to buy players in their early 20's in the 10 - 20 million bracket.
      That still leaves us with an inexperienced midfield which has resulted in us having massively
      inconsistent results this season.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: May 16, 2012 11:11:57 am
      I wouldn't say we're 'one poacher away' because at times this season, we look all sorts but a title challenging team.

I'd say 3-4 attack players away to mount a genuine challenge. A striker, two wingers and a midfielder at least.

It's going to be alot more difficult in the coming seasons when you've got Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all capable of knocking each other.

We really need to start picking up points from the other 14 teams and getting favourable results against the 5 above.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #13: May 16, 2012 11:17:55 am
      Add Newcastle too
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #14: May 16, 2012 11:19:28 am
      I think I could give Corbally a run for negativity at the moment. The passing of the Winter transfer window without buying the players that a blind man could see we needed shook me to my core. I just don't believe that Kenny will get enough money to make the difference this Summer, I see him getting £20million rather than the £50/60million we need.

There have been very few times that I have looked at the new season and not thought we have a chance of winning the title or of at least mounting a decent title challenge, but as things stand, if someone offered me a Cl place and a couple of good cup runs I would probably take it.

I can't say I have been thrilled with most of the players we have been linked with recently, not happy that Kenny's position has been undermined and worried that the team showed little consistancy throughout last season.

No doubt this is just a passing phase (I bloody hope so) and soon I will be as "unrealistically" optimistic as usual. First and foremost we need Kenny to stay and get the backing he deserves, we can't go into a season again with such thin cover for the squad. Like most I believe 3 quality players will make a huge difference to our fortunes, that we surely can't have the same bad luck as last season, that our younger players will have matured, that our more established players will start to show the form we know they are capable of on a regular basis, that we will fight for the points and that Kenny will get the big decisions right.

I am feeling more optimistic already!

Sons of Kenny, of Paisley, my brothers,
      I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
      A day may come when the courage of the Kop fails,
      when we forsake our friends
      and break all bonds of fellowship,
      but it is not this day.

An hour of Wolves and F***ing Newcastle,
      when the age of Liverpool comes crashing down,
      but it is not this day!
      This day we fight!!
      By all that you hold dear at this good Anfield,
      I bid you stand by Kenny

Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #15: May 16, 2012 11:25:50 am

True we could add full backs to that as we are doing well with Kelly, Johnson and Enrique.

I think that has been evident in our league stats. Goals conceded is enough for a top four spot.
      Goals scored is relegation territory. For me that's because from midfield forward we have weakened
      over the last few years. Alonso, Mascherano, Torres - Not replaced and as a result we have suffered
      massively.

Big money spent on Henderson, Adam, Downing and Carroll. Only problem is that they
      haven't delivered. Yes we targeted the right areas to improve the squad, but our recruitment has
      been appalling. We'll have to address the very same areas in the summer to get ourselves firing up
      front again.

We have to find the right players rather than forking out 20 - 30 million on potential.
      For that money we should have been buying instant impact, like a Falcao or Sanchez.
      The longer we stay out of The Champions League the less likely signings like that become.

That leaves us trying to buy players in their early 20's in the 10 - 20 million bracket.
      That still leaves us with an inexperienced midfield which has resulted in us having massively
      inconsistent results this season.

With those three players Torres, Mash and Alonso I think we have replaced Mash with Lucas. He was playing some world class football until he got injured.

I feel we have half replaced Torres with Suarez. Suarez may be as good as Torres its just Torres could be upfront on his own but Suarez needs someone with him doing well. If we get Carroll going or one more good striker (we wish) he will be replaced.

Alonso is going to be the hardest to replace. We are relying on Henderson, Shelvey and Adam. But in truth none of them are good enough at the moment but i do have faith that they can all do well in the future especially Hendo and Jonjo not so much Adam. We need a player to replace Alonso but i hope we dont look for some 23-28 i hope we get someone with loads of experience and talent whilst having around two years of prime left.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: May 16, 2012 11:34:51 am
      I think we have replaced Mash with Lucas.
      Lucas was here when we had Mascherano so no we haven't replaced Mascherano with Lucas.
      Lucas has become a major player for us but we have not replaced Mascherano.
      We need another midfielder than can play alongside or instead of Lucas.

When we had Alonso and Mascherano we had Lucas to fill in when one of them was out.
      Now we have a Lucas that plays predominately in the holding role. When he gets injured
      we only have Spearing as a replacement or, as we have seen recently, we play Henderson
      and Shelvey in the centre.

If this is to continue then we need to accept we wont be challenging anytime soon.
      I mean this as no disrespect.

Henderson is 21 and Shelvey is 20.

We can't have them as the midfield of our team and expect a consistent enough
      season to challenge.

I feel we have half replaced Torres with Suarez.

Not really. Suarez is not a number 9.
      Carroll has been our replacement for Torres and we need competition for him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #17: May 16, 2012 12:36:14 pm
      Mentality of supporters too!

Certain sections of our home support need to change.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #18: May 16, 2012 01:02:15 pm
      Lucas was here when we had Mascherano so no we haven't replaced Mascherano with Lucas.
      Lucas has become a major player for us but we have not replaced Mascherano.
      We need another midfielder than can play alongside or instead of Lucas.

When we had Alonso and Mascherano we had Lucas to fill in when one of them was out.
      Now we have a Lucas that plays predominately in the holding role. When he gets injured
      we only have Spearing as a replacement or, as we have seen recently, we play Henderson
      and Shelvey in the centre.

If this is to continue then we need to accept we wont be challenging anytime soon.
      I mean this as no disrespect.

Henderson is 21 and Shelvey is 20.

We can't have them as the midfield of our team and expect a consistent enough
      season to challenge.

Not really. Suarez is not a number 9.
      Carroll has been our replacement for Torres and we need competition for him.

I know Lucas was here when Mash was but then he wasnt a great player and didnt look like he was going to be. But know IMO Lucas has filled Mash shoes. Of course those shoes our different Lucas is more classy DM who by trade was a playmaker. Which in future could get him the rank over Mash. Mash literally mashed people he was a cruncher.

As i have not directly stated above my three mids for next season would be Gerrard Lucas New
      That new player needs to be someone class but for us to get someone like that they need to be old and willing to come to us because we are not going to sign some 26 year old World class cm. Hopefully that age would be between 28-31. Then that would leave us with a good three man midfield.

Mabye we already got that third midfielder the original replacement for Alonso. I like Aqua and i think he should be given a go but not a go if he doesnt want to be here. Often ys fans think its the club trying to move Aqua on its just really want to move no one knows yet.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #19: May 16, 2012 02:38:04 pm
      How far away do you feel this club is away from reaching number 19?

Not very.

We've got the best keeper in the League, we've got supposedly the best full backs in the League (I disagree but there you go) we've got arguably the best centre half pairing in the League, we've got arguably the best holding midfielder in the League, we've got the best all round player in the League, we've got the best centre forward in the League with arguably the best partnership up front if Carroll and Suarez can get it right and we've got arguably the best youth set up in the League. Coupled with the greatest fans and manager in the League.

What we're lacking is a genuine wide man with expressed pace and/or someone who can cross the ball with pinpoint precision.

Peter Thompson, Steve Heighway and John Barnes all were out and out wingers who would go past players for fun. While on the other side we had Ian Callaghan, Jimmy Case and Ray Houghton all of whom knew how to cross a ball - especially Cally. What we have now is Downing who to be fair is a genuine winger but struggles to go past anybody and Kuyt/Henderson who put a decent ball into the box every 10 attempts (and that's being generous).

So for me we need two wingers as well as a back up forward with Kuyt leaving and Bellamy ready to join the old folks home. Get them in and then I think we'd be alright and capable of winning the League. We've already got a fair bit of strength in depth should injuries hit us.

If either Johnson or Enrique get injured, we've got good initial cover in Kelly followed by Robinson.
      If either Agger or Skrtel get injured, we've got decent cover in Carra and Coates.
      If Lucas gets injured, we've got decent cover in Spearing.
      If Gerrard gets injured, we've got decent cover in Adam, Henderson and Shelvey.

So in reality we're not that far off. Obviously we can further improve our squad players but these top names who get thrown around left right and centre are very unlikely to come and sit on our bench when they could get first team football elsewhere. Take this Javi Martinez fella (I don't know how good he is by the way, I've never seen him). He's a central midfielder (I think) who is playing regular football for whatever Spanish club he plays for. Is he really gonna come here and play second fiddle to Gerrard and Lucas who I imagine will be our central pairing at the start of next season - injuries permitting.

So we've got a decent squad with players who could fill in for a game or two when needed, probably not good enough to play all season which may be our downfall. But overall I don't think we're that far away.

And this time next year I expect to see Kenny Dalglish leading his team out to pick up the Premiership title.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: May 16, 2012 02:44:42 pm
      I know Lucas was here when Mash was but then he wasnt a great player and didnt look like he was going to be. But know IMO Lucas has filled Mash shoes. Of course those shoes our different Lucas is more classy DM who by trade was a playmaker. Which in future could get him the rank over Mash. Mash literally mashed people he was a cruncher.

As i have not directly stated above my three mids for next season would be Gerrard Lucas New
      That new player needs to be someone class but for us to get someone like that they need to be old and willing to come to us because we are not going to sign some 26 year old World class cm. Hopefully that age would be between 28-31. Then that would leave us with a good three man midfield.

Mabye we already got that third midfielder the original replacement for Alonso. I like Aqua and i think he should be given a go but not a go if he doesnt want to be here. Often ys fans think its the club trying to move Aqua on its just really want to move no one knows yet.

If we take it that the core of the team was

Mascherano        Alonso

Gerrard

Factor in Lucas as the rotating sub in amongst that.

We have lost Gerrard and Lucas for large portions of this campaign.

What we have after that is a large reason behind our inconsistency
      during the league campaign.

Spearing(23)/Henderson(21)     Adam(26)

Shelvey(20)

There's the respective core now.
      Sub in Suarez for Gerrard in the hole if you wish.

Look at it another way:
      Top goalscorers for Liverpool.

1) Luis Suarez (25)___11 goals___   6 assists
      2) Craig Bellamy (32)___6 goals___3 assists
      3) Steven Gerrard (31)___5 goals___2 assists
      4) Maxi Rodríguez (31)___4 goals___1 assists
      5) Andy Carroll (23)___4   goals___3 assists

It's quite obvious we don't score anywhere near enough goals.
      At our pomp Torres and Gerrard were getting 20 goals a season each.

Hoilett is 21, a free transfer, and got 7 goals and 6 assists for Blackburn.
      We badly need another winger and getting Hoilett in on a free would
      surely be good business.

Belhanda is 22. 12 goals and 6 assists. Can't say I know a whole lot about
      the player but we definitely need a quality attacking midfielder.

As for in the middle I would like to see some players heading more into their
      prime. We seem to be forming a gap in the squad. From midfield to attack our
      players are either in their 30's or early 20's.

Elm is 24 and got 10 league goals this year.
      Much like Adam in that at the 8 million quoted he is not a massive gamble and
      has much needed experience.
      Born on Paddy's Day too apparently.
      We could do with a good luck charm.

Wouldn't mind us going for Mario Gomez (25, Atletico Madrid)
      A very good DM and again in the right age for us.

Throw in a striker too.
      In that case I'd have no problem taking some players on loan from City
      namely Tevez or Adebayor. Purely cause we need a few cu*ts in the team.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #21: May 16, 2012 02:50:30 pm
      We were without Lucas, Stevie, Suarez, Glenn and Agger for large portions of the season. Andy didn't really come into his own until late in the year.

I think a case could be made that had we had those players on the pitch for the majority of our games we very well could have challenged for the title this year.

So with that in mind I don't think we're a player or three away...I think we are almost there already. Any quality players we bring in will be icing on the cake.

That's IF Dalglish is still around. If FSG fiddle around and install a new manager then who knows what will happen.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #22: May 16, 2012 09:34:48 pm
      Realistically at least 3 years AT LEAST to challenging it and at least 5 years to have a real chance of winning. City do have the potential to really just dominate our league but we said that about Chelsea 7 years ago when they won the title with 95 points, fair enough theyve won it a few times since but have been realitvely poor since. I think within a few years we can easily compete with Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea an maybe Manure but I just cant right now see any way how we can pip City to win the title.

Quick Reply