Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who should be the next Liverpool manager?

Rafael Benitez
      (53.5%)
      Andre Villas-Boas
      (19.4%)
      Jürgen Klopp
      (11.1%)
      Roberto Martinez
      (4.5%)
      Joachim Low
      (1.8%)
      Didier Deschamps
      (1.8%)
      Frank Rijkaard
      (2.4%)
      Brendan Rodgers
      (2.9%)
      Fabio Capello
      (2.7%)

The next Liverpool FC manager?

Read 338074 times
      Red America
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Re: The next Liverpool FC manager?
      Reply #5244: May 30, 2012 07:45:09 am
      I wonder if there's a short list for D.O.F? Looking at how the manager process has been conducted I have to feel they'd handle the DOF position in the same way. Media went silent on that front after Van Gaal's name crept into conversation so early on but one would think they have a desire to interview more than Van Gaal. If so, I'm curious what other names could be floated out there...

I know there will be Rafa suggestions out there and I hope there are. I'd like to hear some Rafa fans entertain the idea of Rafa in DOF role and whether that could work at all and with who in Manager role?

Any other good candidates for DOF, that would be available,  people can speak to?
      shardi
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #5245: May 30, 2012 08:02:30 am
      It's critical FSG appoint the right man as we really will be in big trouble in this modern CL era if we don't. As Didi said, we will be in the wilderness for another decade at least if we appoint the wrong man.

Martinez or Rodgers will still be around in 2-3 years time. FSG have not got deep pockets like Citehs owners or Abramovich at Chelski. For our club to compete we need CL football.

I don't know why we are not going for a proven experienced coach who is more likely to get us back in the CL asap.

Once the club is settled there will be plenty of oppurtunity to give a bright young manager a go.

I'm not saying Martinez or Rodgers can't be huge successes but just think it's a massive gamble to stake our future on their unproven potential. A risk that we don't have to take with the likes of Rafa and Capello at a loose end.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #5246: May 30, 2012 08:19:38 am
      So is LVG involved in the appointment at all?

If he is do you think he is happy with the DoF role? I'm feeling very cautious about the whole idea. If he has a desire to become manager do you think he would adbise FSG to appoint the weaker candidate so when it goes wrong he's in the wings ready to take over.

I dont why FSG are so insistant to have this set up :/

Anyway looks like it between Marteniz and Rodgers and personally i'd go for Marteniz.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #5247: May 30, 2012 08:27:17 am
      First, AVB was the odds on faveourite to take the job

Then RB was the odds on faveourite to take the job

Now BR is the odds on faveourite to take the job

Well done FSG - good for you :D
      ForPridenot$
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts |
      Reply #5248: May 30, 2012 08:35:35 am
      Its like having a graduate trainee run ICI.
      Even a mega smart and talented graduate hasn't absorbed all the skills required. Doesn't command the authority, or have the knowledge. It would be laughed out of the boardroom.

There's a reason the Owen Coyles and Brendan Todgers are hyped up. THEY HAVEN'T BEEN FOUND OUT YET!

The way to have a Todgers or someone in is to let them do  a PROPER apprenticeship somewhere. eg Villa, Spurs and getting in the Champs Lge( ie succeeding in a traditional Europa level team).Or if they'd won say the Spanish, Dutch league and got somewhere in Europe.

Just one season as also rans in the top flight. He didnt even build the Swansea team. How many people know his background.
      NESV are saying "LFC is just like Middlesboro or Villa. Lpool is the next natural step up from a mickey mouse Swansea".
      They're announcing to the world "we have no ambition, its just about cutting costs, chopping assets and raking in the $$$"

In the past there would be Stars and Stripes burning, but now we're just b bored of these Yanks. We are know they're killing the club. I won't give them a single penny.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #5249: May 30, 2012 08:37:02 am
      Still Rafa from the Wirrall for me.

Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #5250: May 30, 2012 08:42:09 am
      Still Rafa from the Wirrall for me.

And me .
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #5251: May 30, 2012 08:51:25 am
      Its like having a graduate trainee run ICI.

Then you don't know Brendan Rodgers. I do. The man does not mess about, and just because he's not with one of the big 4 right now, doesn't mean he's a push over. You assume a 'small team' manager doesn't have the stones to slap a prima donna around when needs be. You're wrong. That's naive. Rodgers earns respect, it comes naturally from players believing in him because he is a success.

Even a mega smart and talented graduate hasn't absorbed all the skills required. Doesn't command the authority, or have the knowledge. It would be laughed out of the boardroom.

This isn't the ICI boardroom - and no, they are not the same thing.

There's a reason the Owen Coyles and Brendan Todgers are hyped up. THEY HAVEN'T BEEN FOUND OUT YET!

And again, you assume they WILL BE FOUND OUT. They may not. Sometimes in life you take a gamble.

The way to have a Todgers or someone in is to let them do  a PROPER apprenticeship somewhere. eg Villa, Spurs and getting in the Champs Lge( ie succeeding in a traditional Europa level team).Or if they'd won say the Spanish, Dutch league and got somewhere in Europe.

Still no guarantee of success. Young, old, big team, small team, like I said, it's always a gamble. And some would argue that Brendan has earned his stripes with Swansea. Do some research on the guy before you condemn him.

Just one season as also rans in the top flight. He didnt even build the Swansea team. How many people know his background.

Martinez build the foundation, but could not get them to the next level. He struggled to even get them into the play offs. They needed someone who held the same philosophies as Martinez (Rodgers) and someone who had the ability to continue the playing style (Rodgers), refine it (Rodgers) and get them promoted to the Prem (Rodgers), using League 1 and Championship players (Rodgers).

NESV are saying "LFC is just like Middlesboro or Villa. Lpool is the next natural step up from a mickey mouse Swansea".

That micky mouse club beat us at their own ground, gave us and Arsenal a footballing lesson, and also beat the Prem champions. Have a bit more respect and perception.

They're announcing to the world "we have no ambition, its just about cutting costs, chopping assets and raking in the $$$"

Says you.

In the past there would be Stars and Stripes burning, but now we're just b bored of these Yanks. We are know they're killing the club.

Says you.

That's your call.

I understand your fears, but you are writing the man off before he's even started. If he starts.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5252: May 30, 2012 09:23:27 am
       According to the E.S.P.N site we will be told on Friday who our new manager will be.Just got to hope it has been worth the wait.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #5253: May 30, 2012 09:25:41 am
      Being widely reported that John Henry is in the UK to oversee the signing of the new manager.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #5254: May 30, 2012 09:27:55 am
      Being widely reported that John Henry is in the UK to oversee the signing of the new manager.

Well known Stuey,

Got a feeling it will be Rodgers now, Hardly the big name we all craved, on the plus side though, it may or may not mean Steve Clarke will stay (He has management aspirations of his own, and may see working with Rodgers as a kick in the face)

Van Gaal would be a spot on appointment, but we all know as with the last manager, we have to wait until the new sponsorship kicks in.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #5255: May 30, 2012 09:30:12 am
      This is a terrible week to work night shifts. At least most of you can go to sleep and wake up hoping that something comes out of the club during office hours. I spend all night scouring for rumours and opinions. It's driving me insane!

:lmao: I used to hate night shifts. Seeing the dawn from anywhere but a beach should be banned.

Back on topic.

Cat amongst the pigeons time. Would it be possible that FSG are taking advice from Rafa? Given the work he done behind the scenes for the future of the club FSG couldn't be in any doubt he was pushing the club in the direction to build a winning club.

Seeing as we will have a new manager by Saturday tea time at the latest I'm going to go with a sporting director of Rafael Benitez working with a Manager of Brendan Rodgers. I find that potentially mouth watering.

Anybody got any straws? I feel the need to clutch.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #5256: May 30, 2012 09:32:12 am
      According to the E.S.P.N site we will be told on Friday who our new manager will be.Just got to hope it has been worth the wait.

I think the news outlets have cottoned onto the theory that originated in forums that our new kit deal begins on Friday so it makes sense to take advantage of the worldwide publicity a new LFC manager will bring.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #5257: May 30, 2012 09:34:00 am

They are also here for the annual Premier League meeting ( or something similar named) that is this week.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #5258: May 30, 2012 09:35:23 am
      Maybe - after 20 years of only challenging for the league twice - this is exactly what we need. With respect to KK it was a love affair and, maybe just maybe it wasn't the best long term solution. KK put a smile back on everyone's faces, got us into Europe and won a trophy. If fate decrees that we now have to totally change our thinking - and Rodgers would do that, it could work - I have read a lot about him and he is certainly a man that knows what he wants.
      Quitely excited if he gets it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #5259: May 30, 2012 09:37:51 am

Cat amongst the pigeons time. Would it be possible that FSG are taking advice from Rafa? Given the work he done behind the scenes for the future of the club FSG couldn't be in any doubt he was pushing the club in the direction to build a winning club.

Seeing as we will have a new manager by Saturday tea time at the latest I'm going to go with a sporting director of Rafael Benitez working with a Manager of Brendan Rodgers. I find that potentially mouth watering.

There is always that possibility and could explain why Rafa has been very quiet during the whole process.

The only question is would Rafa take a job where he is not the coach just to be at the club he obviously loves?

He might well do as he hasn't taken any other job, and I'm sure there have been offers, so it just might be that he loves the life he has here and would have a go as the Sporting director.

It is possible but I'm not sure it will happen though as deep down I feel Rafa still wants to be involved on the training field and winning as a manager.
      « Last Edit: May 30, 2012 10:00:19 am by srslfc »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5260: May 30, 2012 09:37:59 am
      I think the news outlets have cottoned onto the theory that originated in forums that our new kit deal begins on Friday so it makes sense to take advantage of the worldwide publicity a new LFC manager will bring.
      I would not disagree with you on that assumption exiled.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #5261: May 30, 2012 09:42:46 am
      Maybe - after 20 years of only challenging for the league twice - this is exactly what we need. With respect to KK it was a love affair and, maybe just maybe it wasn't the best long term solution. KK put a smile back on everyone's faces, got us into Europe and won a trophy. If fate decrees that we now have to totally change our thinking - and Rodgers would do that, it could work - I have read a lot about him and he is certainly a man that knows what he wants.
      Quitely excited if he gets it.
      Our History is not confined to just the league we have accumilated a number of trophies in the last 20 years which is still significant.
      What  has been missing to win the league is a squad with real depth which takes investment which we have not had.Not £20mil per season but an initial outlay of £100mil to catch up with other teams squads.
      Once we have that we can compete again.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #5262: May 30, 2012 09:47:29 am
      One factor being over looked is we will be in Europe next season so a manager with experience is essential also further team additions.

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #5263: May 30, 2012 09:49:07 am
      Noticed a few people in uproar about Rodgers, highlighting the fact he was sacked by Reading 2 years ago.

Can't help but laugh when people bring that up in order to suit their argument. "Rodgers was sacked 2 years ago, he must be sh*te".

No mention of the fact Klopp got Mainz 05 relegated and subsequently resigned after failing to gain promotion, yet most people would drop their kecks if he was appointed manager. No mention that Rafa was actually sacked during his first two managerial posts after less than 30 games with each, and relegated with another, but the forum would go in to meltdown if he was offered the hotseat.

Managers just need that one break with a club to create something special and show their true potential, even the best. Maybe Rodgers isn't the name we all hoped for, but who knows, maybe him being appointed could be the start of something special here too. In either case, whoever walks through that door deserves the full backing of everyone on this forum and the millions of LFC fans across the globe. Lets just hope they get it.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #5264: May 30, 2012 09:52:13 am
      I won't post in here because it's long and out of place but an interesting article about Swansea/Barcas style of play, if you have the time ;)

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,43051.msg1285141.html#msg1285141
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #5265: May 30, 2012 09:53:09 am
      What I don't understand is fans will be quite content with Rodgers as manager, but think it would be awful if Martinez was appointed ...
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #5266: May 30, 2012 09:55:29 am
      One factor being over looked is we will be in Europe next season so a manager with experience is essential also further team additions.

Sounds like Rafa to me.
      Anyone else think it odd that the press seem to totally ignore Rafa when discussing the job yet the majority of people I know want him back.

Quick Reply