Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who should be the next Liverpool manager?

Rafael Benitez
      (53.5%)
      Andre Villas-Boas
      (19.4%)
      Jürgen Klopp
      (11.1%)
      Roberto Martinez
      (4.5%)
      Joachim Low
      (1.8%)
      Didier Deschamps
      (1.8%)
      Frank Rijkaard
      (2.4%)
      Brendan Rodgers
      (2.9%)
      Fabio Capello
      (2.7%)

The next Liverpool FC manager?

Read 338102 times
      LFCexiled
      Re: The next Liverpool FC manager?
      Reply #5290: May 30, 2012 11:35:36 am
      Any reason why?

It's not too unrealistic. His teams play a really adventurous, unpredictable and aggressive attacking game. Seems to suit a top team to me.

I'd imagine if we got Rodgers, he'd make teams fear coming to Anfield again.

Agreed, opinions seem to based on his past history and not his potential as an LFC Manager. Potentially, his football could ignite any crowd and worry any player about running around chasing a ball for 90 minutes and going home miserable as F**k.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,543 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5291: May 30, 2012 11:39:26 am
      What are we going to do after Friday if a new manager is announced. How are we going to fill the time ? On a more serious note the Barcelona v Chavs example is a rare example of that style of play working. If Barcelona took any of their chances in the first game and if Messi scores the penalty then it's a totally different game. Rodgers (and Martinez's) style of play are very pleasing on the eye, playing alehouse football isn't necessarily going to be any better at breaking down a team with everyone behind the ball. It's all about quality, if the quality is there then 99 times out of a hundred the quality will come through. Personally for me it's a tossup between the two as they have the same sort of philosophy. My biggest concern is the DOF/sporting director role. If it is LVG then it is a recipe for disaster.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #5292: May 30, 2012 11:40:18 am
      Will Brendan Rodgers have the pull to bring in the quality names that we will need to do that consistently over the season? Like I say where teams will sit very deep..

See, that's where I think Brendan shines; in the transfer market.

It doesn't necessarily equate that the best players are the best players for a team that plays a particular style of football. Leon Britton, case in point. About 4' tall on a good day, nobody notices him, but he's a very good 'team' player because he plays to a system.

You don't need Messis, Ronaldos, Alonsos and Xavis. Sure it would help, but really all you need is someone half decent at the game who can follow instructions on the pitch.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #5293: May 30, 2012 11:40:50 am
      Plus maybe he could bring Joe Allen with him, that boy is class. He has the highest pass completion in Europe last season. Even more than Xavi. For a team like Swansea, that is unbelievable.
      Leon Britton too.
      redpool
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #5294: May 30, 2012 11:45:31 am
      I'll take that bet, you do realise you get no return but I will own you forever to do with as I wish right?

You are female no?

No, top of Europe like what Rafa the gaffer has done in his first 5 years managing us. One can dream, but I just cant see it happening under Rodgers especially with all the top teams spending like there is no tomorrow.   :) :)
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #5295: May 30, 2012 11:46:18 am
      Managers such as Martinez and Rodgers have to work their way up for me and earn the right to manage a club such as Liverpool.

We want to get back into the champions league and compete for the title. Why employ a manager who has got zero experience in top level managment. I am not saying that these lads will not go on to become excellent managers. But the right to manage a club like Liverpool has to be earned and these lads have done nothing to show that they deserve to or are even capable of managing Liverpool.

There are 3 managers out of work who fit the bill... Rafa, Guardiola and AVB. Whilst it would be difficult to get Guardiola. you have to aim high if you want to get back to the top. AVB did not convince me at the chavs..but he was not given enough time. But he has experience at a young age at the top level, something Martinez and Rodgers do not have. Rafa needs no explanation.

Martinez and Rodgers are not ready for the massive job that is Liverpool and the extreme pressure and demands that come with the job. In the future when they have proved themselves and have more experience that may change...but this is the present and I do not think they are ready or deserving of the chance. Just my 2 penneths worth.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5296: May 30, 2012 11:49:02 am
      We don't need a massive overhaul in our team, just a proven goalscorer and two wingers in my opinion.
      Ideally, with two wingers putting in decent crosses unlike Downing, big Andy could get 20+ next season. FSG still need to shell out to get us back into Europe.

Welcome to the Forum.
      Good Post.

Proven poacher for goals 20+ and two lightning wingers.
      With Luis and Andy          unplayable.
      Even 'arry.  SAF .....and that man Shankly ....knew the art of wingers.
      WildIRL
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #5297: May 30, 2012 11:54:13 am
      axelharco
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #5298: May 30, 2012 11:55:36 am

Thanks mate. Totally agree, who would you see us being able to get? I always wanted Adam Johnson from Citeh, think we missed a trick there when signing Downing. Also believe Raheem Sterling should get some more game time next season in The Carling Cup and Europa League, I've seen a lot of the Reserves games this season and he looks like he could make it, big time.
      Not sure on any strikers that are on the market? Cavani? Or is that wishful thinking?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #5299: May 30, 2012 11:56:33 am
      Welcome to the Forum.
      Good Post.

Yes and to be fair to Rodgers he knows and likes to use good quick tricky wide men..

StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #5300: May 30, 2012 11:57:24 am
      He can start the Rodgelution by signing Adam Johnson, I really think he could do well here.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #5301: May 30, 2012 11:57:34 am
      Brendan Rodgers = Top of Europe! Nah, I bet you my life it is not going to happen.

Di Matteo not long ago got relegated with West Brom. Since then he's only won the fa cup and champions league :(
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #5302: May 30, 2012 11:59:01 am
      Warming to the idea of Rodgers in charge although I'd still have Rafa and Klopp ahead of him.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,543 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5303: May 30, 2012 11:59:24 am
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #5304: May 30, 2012 12:00:42 pm
      See, that's where I think Brendan shines; in the transfer market.

It doesn't necessarily equate that the best players are the best players for a team that plays a particular style of football. Leon Britton, case in point. About 4' tall on a good day, nobody notices him, but he's a very good 'team' player because he plays to a system.

You don't need Messis, Ronaldos, Alonsos and Xavis. Sure it would help, but really all you need is someone half decent at the game who can follow instructions on the pitch.

Absolutely...

But it's different playing for Liverpool with the expectancy that brings... You are expected to win every home game.. That brings pressure.. Teams are motivated even more when they play at Anfield.. When they see the This is Anfield sign.. When they hear the crowd.. See the Kop.

You have to be a certain type of player and character to deal with that.

Like I say I am not against Rodgers.. I am just voicing my inner doubts with fellow reds..

You can guarentee if he signs Friday he won't have more support from anyone than me.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #5305: May 30, 2012 12:01:37 pm
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #5306: May 30, 2012 12:09:11 pm
      Absolutely...

But it's different playing for Liverpool with the expectancy that brings... You are expected to win every home game.. That brings pressure.. Teams are motivated even more when they play at Anfield.. When they see the This is Anfield sign.. When they hear the crowd.. See the Kop.

You have to be a certain type of player and character to deal with that.

Like I say I am not against Rodgers.. I am just voicing my inner doubts with fellow reds..

You can guarentee if he signs Friday he won't have more support from anyone than me.

You keep moving the goalposts PaisleyDalglish ;D

But you are right of course.

These days, I think a Liverpool player needs to be mentally tough, and after that - then we can look at his ability!

Not literally meant of course :)

I just wish this entire thing was resolved. I respect and admire FSG for how they are doing things though. People think it is strange, arrogant even, but I like it.

It's as if they are saying, 'Hey, this is Liverpool! This is Anfield! You will subject to the way we do things here!'
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5307: May 30, 2012 12:12:26 pm
      Sgtill don't think it will be Rodgers or Martinez and I'm not saying it will be Rafa either, just the latter two are a wild stab in the dark and I honestly can't see FSG making that stab.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #5308: May 30, 2012 12:12:56 pm

I'll never trust another Roy again, especially a manc one.  :f_tongueincheek:
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #5309: May 30, 2012 12:28:23 pm
      You keep moving the goalposts PaisleyDalglish ;D

But you are right of course.

These days, I think a Liverpool player needs to be mentally tough, and after that - then we can look at his ability!

Not literally meant of course :)

I just wish this entire thing was resolved. I respect and admire FSG for how they are doing things though. People think it is strange, arrogant even, but I like it.

It's as if they are saying, 'Hey, this is Liverpool! This is Anfield! You will subject to the way we do things here!'

I'm certainly not meaning to..

I'm just saying its not going to be as easy as us thinking, he will just get us doing what he got Swansea doing and we have even better players..

Teams come to Anfield with a different mentality to going to the Liberty.. They raise their games.. They know their in the spotlight in front of the famous Kop. Managers are delighted to get away with a point.. Not many will have gone to Swansea with that thought.. Maybe that will change next season if Rodgers is still there.

The players coming in.. Take Downing/Henderson/Adam/Carroll for example.. They have all found how difficult it is to come here and be expected to perform every game.. To be under that pressure.. Not to just have a couple of great games and then a couple of poor ones and have their fans go "yeah but he was great three games ago, it will come again"
      Here it's a case of" yeah that was good, be better next week"

Would players like Allen be able to play in that pressure cooker? Rather than get a pat on the head by the media they would get pressure and spot light from them as well..
      I'm not saying they can't just that this is bigger..

Next season was ( could still be) going to be a lot more difficult for Swansea and Rodgers as they would have this season to live up to and teams taking more notice of what they do and how they do it..

Liverpool isn't Swansea.. The pressure is different.

Again not saying he won't do it but I have concerns.

I'd be more confident had he been doing this with Swansea for 3 seasons not 1.

Those are my doubts, not knocking the fella. I just think its a gamble if they go with him, one that could be F***ing genius, or one that could put us even further behind.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      Reply #5310: May 30, 2012 12:32:43 pm
      I'm certainly not meaning to..

I'm just saying its not going to be as easy as us thinking, he will just get us doing what he got Swansea doing and we have even better players..

Teams come to Anfield with a different mentality to going to the Liberty.. They raise their games.. They know their in the spotlight in front of the famous Kop. Managers are delighted to get away with a point.. Not many will have gone to Swansea with that thought.. Maybe that will change next season if Rodgers is still there.

The players coming in.. Take Downing/Henderson/Adam/Carroll for example.. They have all found how difficult it is to come here and be expected to perform every game.. To be under that pressure.. Not to just have a couple of great games and then a couple of popes ones and have their fans go "yeah but he was great three games ago, it will come again"
      Here it's a case of" yeah that was good, be better next week"

Would players like Allen be able to play in that pressure cooker? Rather than get a pat on the head by the media they would get pressure and spot light from them as well..
      I'm not saying they can't just that this is bigger..

Next season was ( could still be) going to be a lot more difficult for Swansea and Rodgers as they would have this season to live up to and teams taking more notice of what they do and how they do it..

Liverpool isn't Swansea.. The pressure is different.

Again not saying he won't do it but I have concerns.

I'd be more confident had he been doing this with Swansea for 3 seasons not 1.

Yup, I hear you.

There's definitely more pressure to perform at Liverpool F.C.

But the only person you need to perform for is the manager. Sure the fans come first, but the manager is the one you have to answer directly to.

Man management skills would be essential. Some players need a rollicking, some players need an arm around the shoulder. It's ultimately up to the manager to get them performing anyway he can.

I'm starting to think perhaps, our barren years (FA Cup notwithstanding) could be used to work for us. It's getting to the point when nobody expects us to start winning things.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #5311: May 30, 2012 12:38:48 pm
      Yup, I hear you.

There's definitely more pressure to perform at Liverpool F.C.

But the only person you need to perform for is the manager. Sure the fans come first, but the manager is the one you have to answer directly to.

Man management skills would be essential. Some players need a rollicking, some players need an arm around the shoulder. It's ultimately up to the manager to get them performing anyway he can.

I'm starting to think perhaps, our barren years (FA Cup notwithstanding) could be used to work for us. It's getting to the point when nobody expects us to start winning things.

Of course yeah...

But the whole place is a different ball game. I'm not saying they can't step up just that everything is in the spotlight here, the media will all of a sudden be after them for interviews.. A bad game and they are talking points on tv and radio and getting 4s in papers which I know sounds daft but I know for a fact a majority of players look at them.

And this is crucial to us.. Us as a club, as fans.. The wrong decision this time round, a season without progress and we could take years to get anywhere near where we want to be.. And they will be aware of that..

I just hope they get it right and whoever gets the job does a great one.

I will be as supportive of Rodgers as I was of Kenny and Rafa.. I just can't help be a little bit nervous right now..

LFCexiled
      Reply #5312: May 30, 2012 12:44:38 pm
      I've just had a scout around my news feeds, really shouldn't have bothered. The near silence we've had from 'experts' in the game has ceased and the bollocks has started, the no mark vultures have took to the 'appointment on friday' news and are circling us again. The usual floating heads giving their opinion on us, that opinion being based solely on negativity.

Quick Reply