Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What would you rather?

Win trophies
      (56.6%)
      Finish top four
      (43.4%)

Would you rather WIN A TROPHY, or FINISH in the top 4?

Read 12860 times
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Re: Would you rather WIN A TROPHY, or FINISH in the top 4?
      Reply #46: May 20, 2012 12:42:34 am
      Does the topic title need amending too Top 3?

>:D
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #47: May 20, 2012 12:45:51 am
      What about now?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,657 posts | 3890 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #48: May 20, 2012 12:51:37 am
      As The Heavy sang . How You Like Me Now!
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #49: May 20, 2012 07:36:14 am
      I'd rather see some more topics with depth and substance than this regurgitated sh*te again.

you can also read the topics title and, if they're regurgitated sh*te, you can avoid your mouse from clicking on them, and so we can all avoid regurgitated sh*te posts like this one
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #50: May 20, 2012 08:22:40 am
      What a silly topic Obviously i want to see both we are liverpool fc , we dont set our sites on one thing we win everything
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #51: May 20, 2012 08:48:06 am
      What a silly topic Obviously i want to see both we are liverpool fc , we dont set our sites on one thing we win everything
      Totally agree mate,imagine what Shankly,Paisley and Joe Fagan would say if someone asked them that question.They would probably be given directions to Goodison Park and told not to set foot in Anfield again.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #52: May 20, 2012 08:59:13 am
      This is a very tricky question, IMO. I'm going to carefully lay out the sentences because I don't want people to start jumping on my back!!!

At the start of every season, I want us to win cups and I want us to finish in the top 4 of the league every season. Both are very important for me.

I will never choose 4th place over cups and I will never choose cups over 4th place.

It's just that, when we're out of the race for 4th, let's be honest, we're just saying we rather have a good cup run or a win to mask over the failure of top 4 but we didn't ultimately want to throw away the league for the cups. But this is okay, because at the end of the day, football is all about winning trophies.

Also, I think we were all happy with the Carling Cup win because we have gone 6 years without a trophy. I don't think anyone would mind finishing top four and trophyless this seaosn, if we had won a trophy or two in the previous season. It's because we've gone a trophy drought, that we'd take a trophy now. We'll always take a trophy but not at the expense of the league.

Winning trophies is always nice (i approve that) but we've been out of the Champions League for a third year running and I wouldn't want to see us win FA Cup and League Cup every season but not qualify for Champions League for the next 10 years. And it's simply impossible to say the only trophy you'd trade for, instead of Champions League qualification, is the league title (you can't win the League and NOT qualify for Champions League unless it was 1985-1990).

If it's in our capacity to go for everything, by all means, do it but we only say we prefer this over that because we've got no chance for either one of them.

It pisses me off when some people claim (not on this forum) that Kenny rather win cups than finish top four. Kenny has and will never choose cups over a 4th place finish. He wants everything because he's a winner and he has got the Liverpool mentality - to achieve all of the best, in him.

So ... to answer the question. I don't want to win trophies for the next 5 years but no Champions League but also I don't want to always get top four, but no trophies.

This season, a trophy was needed because of our barren run but we can't afford to lose out on Champions League every season.

What he said.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #53: May 20, 2012 09:06:06 am
      I'd rather see some more topics with depth and substance than this regurgitated sh*te again.

Dead easy, don't enter the thread.

Do you do anything but F***ing moan?

*Cue expletives and acts of acting dead hard from behind the keyboard. Regurgitated sh*te.

To save me a post back later - I do not give a F**k.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #54: May 20, 2012 09:10:47 am
      Totally agree mate,imagine what Shankly,Paisley and Joe Fagan would say if someone asked them that question.They would probably be given directions to Goodison Park and told not to set foot in Anfield again.

Ditto ... It seems like people have lost the faith just recently . We are 18 Times league winners 5 time European champions and our fan base are asking if we would prefer Trophies or a top 4 finish ....Im gutted absolutly gutted .

"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing."  Bill Shankley
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #55: May 20, 2012 10:20:27 am
      Ditto ... It seems like people have lost the faith just recently . We are 18 Times league winners 5 time European champions and our fan base are asking if we would prefer Trophies or a top 4 finish ....Im gutted absolutly gutted .

"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing."  Bill Shankley

Without an E.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #56: May 20, 2012 10:36:24 am
      Well spotted skip,that amounts to sacrilege when the GREAT MANS NAME is spelt wrong.LFC9 prepare yourself for the firing squad.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #57: May 20, 2012 11:01:06 am
      If by top 4 you mean first then top 4. Other then that....TROPHIES
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,938 posts | 285 
      Reply #58: May 20, 2012 11:18:02 am
      Lets focus on our bread and butter please....
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #59: May 20, 2012 03:29:44 pm
      Kenny would have been sacked whether we had won the FA Cup or not, we're horrible to watch 90% of the time, we're  no threat to the opposite GK and our midfield make us look like fools, we can create goals like a top team should.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #60: May 20, 2012 04:58:46 pm
      Pots for me - all day long. Like many have said to celebrate being 4th best isn't what I want us to be about

BUT

(And I think this is the point Blood makes) its not a straight question any more. Ultimately for us the holy grail is the Premiership (First Division, if you prefer / or are of my vintage!) and / or the UCL (European Cup). Both are probably unobtainable without the revenue from at least 1/2 years run in the European Cup and to get that we need 4th place.

So - I'll re-state my preference is for trophies. But the fiscal reality is we won't see the ones we want without finishing 4th first. I'm more comfortable viewing 4th as a financial necessity that I am seeing it as something in itself to celebrate.

WildIRL
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #61: May 20, 2012 05:02:36 pm
      If I was the new manager it would be third. What did you get for fourth this year. A broken f**king heart, thats what.

What did our manager get for winning a cup and getting to the final of another cup... a broken f**king heart.

Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #62: May 20, 2012 05:09:39 pm
      I choose 4th, Liverpool FC isn't a club that should be a mediocre cup side, we belong back in the best competition available other than the World Cup and amongst the elite clubs in Europe, finishing mid table with a cup simply isn't good enough...
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #63: May 20, 2012 05:25:34 pm

I choose 4th, Liverpool FC isn't a club that should be a mediocre cup side

I dont under stand surely we should be aiming to win every cup we enter and win the league .???
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #64: May 20, 2012 05:26:26 pm
      If I was the new manager it would be third

1st
      Rammstein Red Chrome7
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #65: May 20, 2012 11:29:15 pm
      What we lacked last season was a consistent run of performances so for me an improvement in league position is the most important.It reflects on how the team are playing together rather than a knock out competition. It's concerning that most supporters who have voted see us only as a cup side and are willing to accept the home permances of last season.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #66: May 21, 2012 01:21:18 am
      The ones I want most requires us finishing in the top 4, so I'd say top four is a priority firstly. The PL and CL are the trophies we should be chief contenders for.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #67: May 21, 2012 01:26:48 am
      If we want Champions League football, we should be aiming for first, not solely for 4th.

Trophies are important because that's what football is about but I do not want to see us not compete in the Champions League for a long time, we're already into our 3rd season without it.

We want to add more league titles and european cups to our history but not at the expense of the other cups as well.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #68: May 21, 2012 01:33:30 am
      If we want Champions League football, we should be aiming for first, not solely for 4th.

Trophies are important because that's what football is about but I do not want to see us not compete in the Champions League for a long time, we're already into our 3rd season without it.

We want to add more league titles and european cups to our history but not at the expense of the other cups as well.

3 seasons is far too long  :f_wah: I miss the Champions League.. so many great matches

Quick Reply