Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What would you rather?

Win trophies
      (56.6%)
      Finish top four
      (43.4%)

Would you rather WIN A TROPHY, or FINISH in the top 4?

Read 12962 times
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Re: Would you rather WIN A TROPHY, or FINISH in the top 4?
      Reply #69: May 21, 2012 01:50:03 am
      Top 4. Would rather winning the damn thing over anything.

But Proper European nights, More revenue , better players , more opportunity to grow into a club that could win the title.

alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #70: May 21, 2012 03:35:51 am
      To me we should perform well in league games, so 4th spot to qualify for UCL is not beyond reach for club like LFC.
      I believe if we could perform well in the league other trophies would not impossible to win.
      There is no such thing focus to Cup competition and ignore the league.
      League must come first.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #71: May 21, 2012 03:40:01 am
      They should make a trophy for finishing in the top 4, then answering this would be easier
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #72: May 21, 2012 09:51:41 am
      I can't beleive theres 30 people on here that would choose 4th over the cups. Look at us in 05 and Chavs this year, won the European Cup, Champs league next season sorted.

We should be aiming to win everything we enter and the #1 priority should be the league title every season but if we are having a sh*t run (usual story) then the cups are more important. Personaly I'd rather us go for everything instead of focus on one thing.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #73: May 21, 2012 11:06:21 am
      That is why I said, at the start of every season, I don't think many choose one or the other.

It's only when we're out of the race for one, we say we prefer the other. That is a truth.

I remember Rafa prioritised Champions League and Premier League back when he was here and when we were knocked out by Arsenal in the FA Cup and League Cup in 2006/2007, he said something like we didn't have the players to compete for all four competitions and we end up finishing 3rd in the league and reaching the Champions League Final in Athens.

But, Rafa did not deliberately set us out to lose to Arsenal twice.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #74: May 21, 2012 11:30:42 am
      If its true that the FA Cup would not have saved Kenny well we are going to a very dark place imo. 2 trophies in a season, back in europe, some great football and a firm base on which to build and he still would have been sacked??

I would always take trophies..that is what Liverpool Fc is all about and lots of them. Shanks built us to win trophies and to finish 1st.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #75: May 21, 2012 01:31:06 pm
      Liverpool exist to win trophys is the old saying and while this is true, unfortunatley money rules the roost in modern football,the money from the champs league is phenominal attracts the top players,etc,etc
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #76: May 21, 2012 01:48:04 pm
      That is why I said, at the start of every season, I don't think many choose one or the other.

It's only when we're out of the race for one, we say we prefer the other. That is a truth.

I remember Rafa prioritised Champions League and Premier League back when he was here and when we were knocked out by Arsenal in the FA Cup and League Cup in 2006/2007, he said something like we didn't have the players to compete for all four competitions and we end up finishing 3rd in the league and reaching the Champions League Final in Athens.

But, Rafa did not deliberately set us out to lose to Arsenal twice.

Good point mate. It's not as balck and white as which do you want? If that was the case surely we all "want" both. This season of course we will say trophies, we won one very nearly two. But had we finished in 3rd (4th naturally would have been useless this season) you could make the argument that the Champions League spot is essential to attract players etc.

I think you only need to look at Arsenal to really find the answer. They regularly get top 4 under Wenger, however they haven't won a trophy in 7 years. That has to hurt their fans really. But would they give up their top 4 status for silverware? I'm not so sure.

In short I think Ad makes a very good point, we will always say the one we are in contention for, and as long as we are fighting for either or better yet both then I'll take what we can get for now.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #77: May 21, 2012 01:53:00 pm
      I can't beleive theres 30 people on here that would choose 4th over the cups. Look at us in 05 and Chavs this year, won the European Cup, Champs league next season sorted.

We should be aiming to win everything we enter and the #1 priority should be the league title every season but if we are having a sh*t run (usual story) then the cups are more important. Personaly I'd rather us go for everything instead of focus on one thing.

Dont quite understand this....

Did we win the league in 2004? No, 2005 happened becasue we finished at least 4th in 2004.

We should be looking to win the league every year, unfourunatly we are not currentely in a position to do that so the next priorty should be 2nd, 3rd then 4th.

Sad fact of life is that to be succesfull in the premiership you need major funds and we can only get that by maintaining a position in the Champions League.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #78: May 21, 2012 02:55:04 pm
      Good point mate. It's not as balck and white as which do you want? If that was the case surely we all "want" both. This season of course we will say trophies, we won one very nearly two. But had we finished in 3rd (4th naturally would have been useless this season) you could make the argument that the Champions League spot is essential to attract players etc.

I think you only need to look at Arsenal to really find the answer. They regularly get top 4 under Wenger, however they haven't won a trophy in 7 years. That has to hurt their fans really. But would they give up their top 4 status for silverware? I'm not so sure.

In short I think Ad makes a very good point, we will always say the one we are in contention for, and as long as we are fighting for either or better yet both then I'll take what we can get for now.

An Arsenal friend of mine says he will take top four no matter what and I can't fault him there.

I know trophies are very important but when you qualify for Champions League, you attract top players and then eventually leads to potential success with trophies. It's also arguable with the method of winning cups, attracting players and eventually back into Champions League but .. I'd place my bet on players preferring to move to a club that is consistently in the top competitions (well, that's what big clubs do, in all honesty) rather than one that struggles in the leagye. Still, it's not easy to just choose one or the other, I guess.

And let's not forget about the financial benefits of Europe's elite competition.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #79: May 21, 2012 03:05:52 pm
      Trophies all day, every day.

welshy7777
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts |
      Reply #80: May 21, 2012 03:07:04 pm
      Yeah id rather win the carling cup
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #81: May 21, 2012 06:13:59 pm
      Let's look at it another way. Rate these trophies in order of importance then ask yourself the question again.

PL Champions trophy
      Champions league trophy
      FA Cup
      Carling Cup

Pretty clear to see that the best two trophies available to us are only available if we finish 1st or normally at least 4th (this year excluded of course)

So quite honestly if the priority is to win the BEST trophy's finishing 1-4 is the only option.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #82: May 21, 2012 06:59:41 pm
      If its true that the FA Cup would not have saved Kenny well we are going to a very dark place imo. 2 trophies in a season, back in europe, some great football and a firm base on which to build and he still would have been sacked??

What it says is if John W Henry cast a vote on this thread he would go for top 4.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #83: May 21, 2012 07:46:47 pm

I would always take trophies..that is what Liverpool Fc is all about and lots of them. Shanks built us to win trophies and to finish 1st.

Yes, winning trophies is what Liverpool is about but it should not mean we falter in the league.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #84: May 21, 2012 07:59:12 pm
      Win trophies! If we won the league then we already get top four anyway ,ideally I want to win everything ,league title for me is the priority
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #85: May 21, 2012 08:55:51 pm
      The fiscal reality is we won't see the ones we want without finishing 4th first. I'm more comfortable viewing 4th as a financial necessity that I am seeing it as something in itself to celebrate.

This sums it up for me.  4th place is a benchmark on our way back to 1st place.  It will help us be more competitive in a financial sense, which should help us to build a better squad that is more able to compete for the top trophies. 

If the question was turned into:  "Which would you prefer - winning the Carling Cup every season or finishing 4th every season?" 

My answer every time would be to finish 4th.  Birmingham won the CC last season and are now in the Championship.  We are a club that should be competing in the Champions League every season because of our history and European pedigree. 
      BC231979
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #86: May 21, 2012 09:09:28 pm
      Do you not have a better chance of winning trophies over a sustained period if you are in the top 4?

Liverpool FC lives to win trophies, not one, many over many years.

The best players go to top 4 teams, therefore Champions League teams, therefore you stand to win more trophies by being in the top 4?

One Carling Cup doesn't make up for not qualifying for the Champions League.

Winning the League Cup was an achievement but it is now pretty minor on the grand scale of things in this money driven sport of today
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #87: May 21, 2012 10:29:42 pm
      Strangely enough finishing 4th this year would have had the same effect as winning the Carling cup, a place in the Europa league!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #88: May 22, 2012 09:56:23 am
      Trophies, Trophies, Trophies.

I want it to be us holding any Cup aloft and celebrating on that podium. No better feeling then being Winners.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #89: May 22, 2012 12:52:26 pm
      It's concerning that most supporters who have voted see us only as a cup side and are willing to accept the home permances of last season.

Last time I checked, the League was still a trophy, no?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #90: May 22, 2012 12:59:17 pm
      Doesnt matter now does it?

The owners only want a top 4 finish.. Don't give a monkeys about the domestic trophies so Im expecting us to tell the authorities we won't be entering the League or FA from now on..

:confused-smiley-013:   :giveup:   :tosser:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #91: May 22, 2012 02:58:11 pm
      It's simple really, did I get more enjoyment out of us winning the League Cup this year or seeing us beat Real Madrid yet actually get nothing for it at the end?

Trophies all day for me.

Quick Reply