Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3063398 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #31004: May 26, 2015 09:20:39 pm
      Xabi Alonso was offered to us for £5 million last summer

Source?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #31005: May 26, 2015 09:23:07 pm
      Here's my take (not that anyone cares but I'm ok with that):

If FSG were going to sack Rodgers, they'd likely do it for missing 4th, not progressing in CL and no trophies.

All of those things were already a foregone conclusion a couple of weeks ago (arguably longer than that).

So if they knew that he didn't meet the parameters that they set for him to keep his job, and if they were smart businessmen, they'd have already sounded out some potential replacements. Now if you think they actually had any ambition, that short list would have to include Klopp (at the top), possibly Rafa, maybe Ancelloti, De Boer, Di Mateo? So continuing with that line of thinking, surely we'd have heard something about them talking to at least one or more of those targets already.

Aside from Klopp and Rafa I don't believe any of the others have any games left? And if they don't have any games left, then there'd be no reason that they couldn't be interviewed and announced pretty quickly (not to mention you would want to snap them up pretty quickly if that's who you wanted).

So that leaves Klopp and Rafa as the two plausible targets in my book. For me, if FSG had wanted Rafa, they'd have interviewed him to replace Kenny, so I think Rafa is out (and possibly headed to RM anyway). So that leaves Klopp who I think is the only real option that FSG would have.

And to add to this...if they knew weeks ago they wanted to sack Rodgers...I think they'd have done it already to let supporters and players know what to expect. Since they haven't sacked him yet, I'm inclined to believe he's staying.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #31006: May 26, 2015 09:23:59 pm
      Welcome to the sh*t-stirring thread.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,630 posts | 7146 
      Reply #31007: May 26, 2015 09:25:19 pm

Brendan was given the green light to buy him and he wanted him but it just didnt work out.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,601 posts | 1682 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31008: May 26, 2015 09:29:20 pm
      seen a lot of him this season the greatest player ever to grace the game

Gonna have to agree. Messi is unbelievable. Best player I've ever seen play.
      Only thing he maybe needs to do is come closer to Maradona's World Cup exploits.
      The guy is a genius.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #31009: May 26, 2015 09:40:40 pm
      The committee was brought in, or rather given a title, mainly because he flat out refused to work with a DoF so this point makes no sense to me.

I don't know how you can respect him for walking out of a system he played a big part in shaping.

Nobody knows exactly what goes on with this committee. Nobody knows just how much say he has in players coming in. Nobody knows if the structure of the committee has changed during his tenure. Nobody knows if his input has been lessened during the last Season or so. Nobody knows if the players he originally identified were vetoed or whether they were just lost to bad negotiating by the fuckwit Ayre. Nobody knows if Rodgers can get outvoted on a player he wishes to sign.

There is a slight possibility that the workings and structure of the Committee have changed since he started, so if that is possibly true then my comment about respect would stand true.

Nobody knows anything about this Transfer Committee. All we know is who the Committee is comprised of.

Do you know how this Committee works srslfc? Do you know the complete workings and structure of this Committee?

No you F***ing don't.

So my point makes about as much sense as your F***ing point does.

You want Rodgers gone one day and then the next day you want him to stay. At least have some consistency in your posts in the future and maybe you can preach about sense once you've taken the splinters out of your arse.

I'm sick of reading posts with people saying they only want Rodgers gone if we can get in Manager A,B or C.

If anyone thinks Rodgers should be replaced then that is a direct indictment and a complete lack of faith in his ability as a football manager.

I can't stand people who say they only want him gone if we can get Klopp, Rafa or Ancelotti. If anyone thinks Rodgers isn't good enough then that should be it.

At least the posters here who are convinced Rodgers doesn't cut it admit they want him gone at all costs. There is no grey area, it's a clear cut opinion and choice.

You want the manager gone based partly on an assumption of how the Transfer Committee possibly functions. Now i'd say that that makes no F***ing sense, but hey, carry on.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,630 posts | 7146 
      Reply #31010: May 26, 2015 09:44:36 pm
      Gonna have to agree. Messi is unbelievable. Best player I've ever seen play.
      Only thing he maybe needs to do is come closer to Maradona's World Cup exploits.
      The guy is a genius.

Now if FSG fancy bringing in Lionel Messi I would swim across the mersey
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #31011: May 26, 2015 09:48:37 pm
      Now if FSG fancy bringing in Lionel Messi I would swim across the mersey

I'd swim across the Atlantic.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #31012: May 26, 2015 09:50:11 pm
      Here's my take (not that anyone cares but I'm ok with that):

If FSG were going to sack Rodgers, they'd likely do it for missing 4th, not progressing in CL and no trophies.

All of those things were already a foregone conclusion a couple of weeks ago (arguably longer than that).

So if they knew that he didn't meet the parameters that they set for him to keep his job, and if they were smart businessmen, they'd have already sounded out some potential replacements. Now if you think they actually had any ambition, that short list would have to include Klopp (at the top), possibly Rafa, maybe Ancelloti, De Boer, Di Mateo? So continuing with that line of thinking, surely we'd have heard something about them talking to at least one or more of those targets already.

Aside from Klopp and Rafa I don't believe any of the others have any games left? And if they don't have any games left, then there'd be no reason that they couldn't be interviewed and announced pretty quickly (not to mention you would want to snap them up pretty quickly if that's who you wanted).

So that leaves Klopp and Rafa as the two plausible targets in my book. For me, if FSG had wanted Rafa, they'd have interviewed him to replace Kenny, so I think Rafa is out (and possibly headed to RM anyway). So that leaves Klopp who I think is the only real option that FSG would have.

And to add to this...if they knew weeks ago they wanted to sack Rodgers...I think they'd have done it already to let supporters and players know what to expect. Since they haven't sacked him yet, I'm inclined to believe he's staying.

Good post Red and pretty much how i feel with regards to him staying. He deserves a chance to blend the signings of this Season. With a full Season under their belts i expect to see a marked improvement next Season or he goes.

The only reason i want him to stay is for the reason above, he has pissed me off a lot this Season. He still has a lot to learn, but after three Seasons there is no hiding place. A change of manager would set us back another 3 years.

He has to back up his own words now and prove his skills at improving players actually exist. The second place last Season has no bearing on my decision at all.

It is all about giving him a last chance to put things right.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #31013: May 26, 2015 09:50:15 pm
      brendans that bad he couldn't attract a former legendary player even if the other club offered him to us  :lmao:
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #31014: May 26, 2015 09:51:16 pm
      I can't stand people who say they only want him gone if we can get Klopp, Rafa or Ancelotti. If anyone thinks Rodgers isn't good enough then that should be it.

Maybe people like me who wouldn't take any great pleasure in him being sacked is on the fence regarding his ability to turn it around and when I see that Klopp, Ancelotti and Rafa may be available and take into consideration the failings transfer wise against money spent and think to themselves maybe these could do better, a lot better.

He may be a young up and coming manager but seeing Rodgers visibly shaken in that press conference following Stoke is not a sight I don't think I want to see again, he looked broken and in real despair, don't think it would do him or us any good if a repeat performance was followed next season.

I'm not bothered either way, he stays, he will have my support and I'll hope for his sake that he can turn it around and that the owners give him the tools he needs to do it and not cut off his supply because of last season, if he goes I'll welcome a fresh approach and support the new manager.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #31015: May 26, 2015 09:51:19 pm
      Good post Red and pretty much how i feel with regards to him staying. He deserves a chance to blend the signings of this Season. With a full Season under their belts i expect to see a marked improvement next Season or he goes.

The only reason i want him to stay is for the reason above, he has pissed me off a lot this Season. He still has a lot to learn, but after three Seasons there is no hiding place. A change of manager would set us back another 3 years.

He has to back up his own words now and prove his skills at improving players actually exist. The second place last Season has no bearing on my decision at all.

It is all about giving him a last chance to put things right.

I'm glad someone understood it because after I read back through it I'm not sure I even understood what I was trying to say ;D
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #31016: May 26, 2015 09:51:40 pm
      brendans that bad he couldn't attract a former legendary player even if the other club offered him to us  :lmao:

Source?

None?

That's what I thought.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #31017: May 26, 2015 09:54:16 pm

Is Binomial an anagram for lobotomy as it appears you've had one ?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,630 posts | 7146 
      Reply #31018: May 26, 2015 09:54:32 pm
      This bunch of players have not performed for Brendan other than a short spell.they strted poorly and finished terribly.
      If FSG want Brendan to stay they are going to have to really support himin the transfer market big time so that means wages for 3 or 4 players iin excess of £150k per week. If they think this squad has under performed then they have no choice but to sack him.
      But that my view point as a fan they look at the view point of an investor and only they know where they are in their plans to restructure the club then sell it because that is their end game. John Henry is nearly 66 I am sur ehe will want to cash out in the next 4 years.
      Brendan fits the profile of a manger looking after a corporate invesment.
      Football is not a business in the true sense of the word its a madhouse but when can you buy a world sporting Icon for a song why not they will be looking at a £300mil payday and that money is our money not their's.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,601 posts | 1682 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31019: May 26, 2015 10:04:18 pm
      Don't really want to rehash some quotes to make couple of points ... but I saw an anti-BR quote from red legend Nuri Sahin, so all bets are off ...

Regarding what SG said, he clearly didn't just say what he 'needed' to, like he's an excellent manager, it's a privilege to work with him etc etc.  He was EFFUSIVE in his praise.  He was obviously massively impressed at the time of asking. Can't be sure he still thinks same way now ... BUT the point is, let's not pretend he was just toeing some line to keep in the good books.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

'He's a phenomenal man for his age (41). I think he's going to grow into one of the world's best managers and I hope he is here long after I am gone.

'I hope he is here for many, many years because this club is in great hands. Whatever happens now until the end of the season, it's safe.

'He's a winner, he's hungry for success, he does the right things, he treats players well, he doesn't try and control the football club, or get involved in stuff that has nothing to do with him.

'He just focuses on getting on the training pitch and coaching the team, improving individuals, improving the team and playing football the right way. That's what the supporters want here.'

'I wish I was 24, I wish I’d met Brendan when I was 24 because I think I’d be sitting here talking about a lot of titles that we’d won together. The reality is, Brendan came into this club when I was 32 years of age and it's a shame that relationship didn’t start 10 years ago.'

Regarding Suarez, imo Rodgers DID get the very best out of him. Some of Luis's quotes are below, and it's clear he felt BR improved players. Last season Luis was absolutely unreal - he's a great player, but I really don't know how anyone could deny than BR got the very best out of him, and deserves huge credit for that.  AND ... no reason why he can't get the best out of some *quality* players again.
      W.r.t. Borini, Lambert etc and improving them, maybe he could've got a bit more out of them, but let's not pretend there is a wealth of untapped talent there that just needs to be nurtured.  Borini is F***ing sh*te!!!!!!!!

"From the start it convinced me. It made sense. And although the results weren’t good, I could see that we were playing better. I was excited. Brendan’s philosophy was to play on the floor, keep possession of the ball and, if we lost it, to pressure to get it back. Don’t panic, don’t play so fast as we had the previous season, look for the spaces at the right time."

"Slowly they became more comfortable bringing the ball out. We adapted. Danny Agger and Martin Skrtel improved a lot. Technically, they’re fine and they’ve gained more confidence in their ability. They’ve become better players. Before it might be two passes and then hit it long but Brendan has changed that."

"Mostly, I need the ball on the floor and Brendan knew that and he also worked with me on the movements I could make to isolate defenders. He was confident that if I could take them on one-on-one, I would be likely to beat them. He was keen to play to my strengths and my style suited his. He knew that I’m a very instinctive player who plays on intuition. He knew that if he put me in as a static number nine, waiting for the wingers to put crosses in, I’d be no good."

"Liverpool are in very good hands with Brendan Rodgers. The way he coached us during my time there was impressive and I am sure that the methods I enjoyed and found so effective will continue to be employed."

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,630 posts | 7146 
      Reply #31020: May 26, 2015 10:12:56 pm
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      Reply #31021: May 26, 2015 10:21:05 pm
      Is Binomial an anagram for lobotomy as it appears you've had one ?

no, you wouldn't understand the term as you're probably not educated well enough.

you may understand the term 'arithmetics' though, it's what most toddlers learn before entering primary school
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31022: May 26, 2015 10:23:00 pm

Not only that, but Brendan was also responsible for the swine flu pandemic, and most of the trouble in the middle East!!

Oh sorry, I thought we were playing the make up random bullshit game!
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      Reply #31023: May 26, 2015 10:33:20 pm
      Not only that, but Brendan was also responsible for the swine flu pandemic, and most of the trouble in the middle East!!

Oh sorry, I thought we were playing the make up random bullshit game!

brendan can't attract top quality players, it's no bullshit.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #31024: May 26, 2015 10:34:08 pm
      brendan can't attract top quality players, it's no bullshit.

Neither can the financial packages we offer

Which is the more important factor
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      Reply #31025: May 26, 2015 10:41:08 pm
      Neither can the financial packages we offer

Which is the more important factor

wut?

liverpool players earn more than juve,dortmund,atletico and roma players

liverpool spent more than the 4 combined this summer....so i can't say i understand where you're coming from
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #31026: May 26, 2015 10:42:31 pm
      Nobody knows exactly what goes on with this committee. Nobody knows just how much say he has in players coming in. Nobody knows if the structure of the committee has changed during his tenure. Nobody knows if his input has been lessened during the last Season or so. Nobody knows if the players he originally identified were vetoed or whether they were just lost to bad negotiating by the fuckwit Ayre. Nobody knows if Rodgers can get outvoted on a player he wishes to sign.

There is a slight possibility that the workings and structure of the Committee have changed since he started, so if that is possibly true then my comment about respect would stand true.

Nobody knows anything about this Transfer Committee. All we know is who the Committee is comprised of.

Do you know how this Committee works srslfc? Do you know the complete workings and structure of this Committee?

No you F***ing don't.

So my point makes about as much sense as your F***ing point does.

You want Rodgers gone one day and then the next day you want him to stay. At least have some consistency in your posts in the future and maybe you can preach about sense once you've taken the splinters out of your arse.

I'm sick of reading posts with people saying they only want Rodgers gone if we can get in Manager A,B or C.

If anyone thinks Rodgers should be replaced then that is a direct indictment and a complete lack of faith in his ability as a football manager.

At least the posters here who are convinced Rodgers doesn't cut it admit they want him gone at all costs. There is no grey area, it's a clear cut opinion and choice.

You want the manager gone based partly on an assumption of how the Transfer Committee possibly functions. Now i'd say that that makes no F***ing sense, but hey, carry on.

I'm not even sure where to begin here but I'll have a go Hardcore.

I was responding to this from yourself:

An interesting point made earlier that Brendan may well walk if the Transfer Committee remains. Would have a lot of respect for him if this did happen, he must stay true to his values.

My point is that he refused to work with a DoF and the committee structure was brought in and he was happy to work in that system, even though it is pretty much the same as any other club in how they deal with recruitment so if he 'walked' if the committee remains then he would be 'walking' from a system that he himself wanted and is virtually the same as every other club in this league.

I don't see why he would be respected from walking out of something that is there mainly because of his own demands when he took the job and also something that he is very much a part of.

I think you'll find I've been very consistent since the semi final mate and not really my problem if you weren't paying attention. I, like a few others, had a day or so where I didn't really know what direction we should take but as the dire form continued I made my mind up.

Don't confuse me defending aspects of the managers role and things he has done with me not knowing my mind and also my dislike of the way a few on here talk about him shouldn't be mistaken for me not knowing how I feel about his ability to take us forward.

So am I and have always said that everyone should make an opinion on Brenan based solely on him alone as we have no idea of  who FSG might replace him with should they fire him. Again pay more attention to what is posted before throwing accusations about.

See above.

No I don't and have never said that unless I'm very much mistaken.

I want him gone because I've lost faith in him being the man to coach this squad to any semblence of success.

I want him gone because I don't see a winner in him.

I want him gone because I don't think he has made the best of what he has here right now.

I want him gone because I only see more of the same if we carry on into next season.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015 11:11:06 pm by srslfc »

Quick Reply