Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Brendan Rodgers playing style - who is likely to be in or out of favour?

Read 20191 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Brendan Rodgers playing style - who is likely to be in or out of favour?
      Reply #115: Jun 07, 2012 08:44:01 am
      May not be true but:

@Liddellpool Brendan Rodgers has saved LFC a six-figure agent's fee on his Anfield's contract by using the LMA to negotiate his deal #LFC
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2012 09:06:07 am by Semple »
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 233 
      Reply #116: Jun 07, 2012 05:46:53 pm
      At least I'm sure we won't play a 4-4-2 again. I've been crying for 4-3-3 since the at season began  but Kenny continued with the 4-4-2.
      If Carroll has a good Euro and a good pre-season we'll have in our hand a great player. He's the best player in the air of the league but just needs to develop a  partnership with the wingers and Suarez. that is how he likes the crosses and when to play them or not.
      As for Spearing, if we are to challenge for Europa we need a better DM to partner or cover for Lucas

Actually for most of last season, we did only play 1 striker up front (Suarez or Carroll when Suarez was suspended). Only towards the end of the season where we saw both strikers play games together.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #117: Jun 07, 2012 06:14:54 pm
      Spearing maybe a perfect fit for Rodgers.He is a busy player likes short sharp passing.the point is I guess its a clean sheet for everyone and I hope that includes Aquilani and Cole both of whom would strengthen our squad.
      Can't wait to see how he goes with team selection after the Euros and everyone is back in training
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #118: Jun 08, 2012 01:15:41 am
      I was listening to the Anfield Wrap the other day and one of the lads had an interesting theory for the LB in Brendan's formation.

He thought that Enrique might struggle and we could use Downing especially against the smaller teams at Anfield. I'm not  sure I agree or not but it is something to think about and could leave Downing to get forward and allow the left sided forward to cut inside and join the attack from the middle.
      Reina

Skrtel     Agger

Lucas

Johnson                     Downing

Henderson    Shelvey

Suarez            Gerrard

Carroll

I would imagine new players in Shelvey and Gerrard positions but I thought it was an interesting theory and one Rodgers might look at.
      « Last Edit: Jun 08, 2012 01:32:32 am by srslfc »
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #119: Jun 08, 2012 01:25:56 am
      Yes because Downing is so good at defending and working hard...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #120: Jun 08, 2012 01:30:54 am
      Talk about exposing your weaknesses, that's a terrible idea.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #121: Jun 08, 2012 01:31:13 am
      Yes because Downing is so good at defending and working hard...

The main point he was making that against the weaker sides, especially at home, we should have the vast amount of possession and the LB might not need to be as defensively sound as in a more difficult game. It then allows him to play further up the pitch and we effectively have to attacking players, one who will get wide and one to tuck inside.

Also if we do keep the ball and pass it as much as Brendan likes and wants then I do see the logic in what this guy was saying and it could be that we see Downing used in a slightly different way.

It would not be as a LB as you would see it in a formation on paper but one that could be effective.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #122: Jun 08, 2012 01:42:57 am
      It's basically playing without a left-back (Downing cannot tackle or challenge he simply floats around in the space between the player and the possible direction of the ball and will not get closer). I understand the logic of playing at home against weaker opposition but honestly you don't expose yourself so openly against anyone, that is simply under-estimating the opposition and asking for trouble.

It would make more sense for me to play a system of:-

Reina
                     Kelly      Skrtel       Agger
                             Lucas Gerrard
      Johnson      Suarez Sigurdsson  (New LW)
                                Carroll

Johnson and new LW would basically be a player who could play in LB position also and in defensive situations either one would push the backline accross. The benefit we have is Kelly is an excellent right back and Agger is also an excellent left back but both can play centrally (Kelly less proven I know but many believe that is his position for the future.) So the rotation of the backline would create a very fluid team with the ability to overload and press higher when in attack and first losing possession.

(Sorry for Sigurdsson inclusion but come on...)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #123: Jun 08, 2012 02:06:00 am
      The main point he was making that against the weaker sides, especially at home, we should have the vast amount of possession and the LB might not need to be as defensively sound as in a more difficult game. It then allows him to play further up the pitch and we effectively have to attacking players, one who will get wide and one to tuck inside.

Also if we do keep the ball and pass it as much as Brendan likes and wants then I do see the logic in what this guy was saying and it could be that we see Downing used in a slightly different way.

It would not be as a LB as you would see it in a formation on paper but one that could be effective.

It's a fair point but the problem with it is that their is a lot of responsibility on the wider players and a far greater work rate is needed with no cover behind them. Therefore later on in the game they will be more tired than the rest of the players on the field and all it would take would be for the opposition team to deploy a pacey winger from the bench and open up all sorts of possibilities. Such an example? Remember Barcelona playing at the Emirates last year. Dani Alves was doing so much work along with the whole Barcelona team attacking the Arsenal defence for the whole game and then who comes off the bench but Theo Walcott to transform the whole game by using his immense speed down the tired wings of Barcelona. Arsenal go on to win the game 2-1 despite Barcelona dominating for large parts of the game. So there is a lot of emphasis on having to build up a comfortable lead before a certain time in the match. But if you can build up a good lead before 60-70 minutes then the formation's a success so it could definitely work but only on certain conditions.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #124: Jun 08, 2012 12:41:03 pm
      Liverpool
      Tika Taka formation
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #125: Jun 09, 2012 06:25:00 am
      Oxford Dictionary : Current Edition.

a Downing :

(Definition)

It's basically playing without a left-back ( "a "Downing cannot tackle or challenge he it simply floats around in the space between the player and the possible direction of the ball and will not get closer).   

;D               

Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #126: Jun 15, 2012 10:15:36 am
      I read a few football magazines due to my keen interest in football. Earlier this morning, got reading the latest edition of FourFourTwo magazine and they had a feature that interested me a bit, even though they didn't make a big deal of it.

On page 37, they discussed the Premier Leagues most fouled player, those who committed the most fouls as an individual and which team committed the most fouls. It came out with some interesting results. The top 5 team to commit the most fouls consisted of the sort of teams you expect to be their, the likes of Stoke and Bolton (ironically, the top 6 were north-west teams). Liverpool finished 15th out of 20 teams with 402 fouls per team.

Right at the very bottom of this table, Swansea's foul count resulted in a very low 318. To me, that says a lot about Brendans style of play with Swansea. His team kept the ball well but at the times they were they didn't have the ball, they didn't foul but worked hard to win the ball back cleanly.

On the other hand, a certain Charlie Adam had the worst record, and was probably responsible for most of Liverpools 402 fouls. He averaged a tackle-to-foul ratio of 1.07, making 62 tackles and winning 58 fouls. That means he successfully won the ball cleanly on only 4 occasions. That, to me, and probably Brendan, is unacceptable! Brendan, in my eyes will not stick up with this.

I can't remember the end statistic about Lucas and his incredible tackling record but I found this from November 2011, with barely half the season gone. It says it all for me.

Lucas tops tackling table
      29th Nov 2011 - Latest News

41 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
      Lucas Leiva has made more tackles than any other Barclays Premier League player this season.

The Brazilian completed all seven of his tackle attempts in the 1-1 draw with Manchester City on Sunday.

That means he has made the most tackles (68) and successful tackles (52) in English football's top flight this term.

Just says it all really. I don't expect Adam to feature quite as much at the club next season. I think he will still be an LFC player as I don't see too many interested paying the fee we would probably ask for plus I think Rodgers is fair and will give everyone a chance. A year ago, I was happy with the signing and met it with great anticipation. I thought his range of passing would suit us and would be somewhat of an Alonso-esque player. How wrong I was.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #127: Jul 05, 2012 01:51:01 pm
      Rodgers may need to add to player pool

"I like to control games. I like to be responsible for our own destiny. If you are better than your opponent with the ball you have a 79% chance of winning the game. For me it is quite logical. It doesn't matter how big or small you are, if you don't have the ball you can't score. This is our philosophy."

The words could have been spoken by any one of a number of decorated, diminutive Spaniards over the past few days. Instead, before he headed to Merseyside, they came from a Northern Irishman in South Wales with a distinct Catalan influence. It was Brendan Rodgers, then Swansea manager, talking in January.

Rodgers' philosophy helped get him appointed Liverpool manager. Impressive as his results were, a reputation as a visionary accounts for his swift rise. He brings clearly defined ideas and passing principles to Anfield. Whereas some managers have to adapt to suit the players they inherit, the Liverpool squad may find they are required to adjust to Rodgers' preferred system and style of play.

All of which poses the question: which can? Whereas Kenny Dalglish's team, with increasing incoherence, switched tactics, Rodgers played 4-3-3, tweaking it to 4-2-3-1 after Gylfi Sigurdsson's January arrival gave him an attacking central midfielder.

Had the Icelander signed on at Anfield, he would have reprised that role. Instead, his move to Tottenham leaves a situation vacant in Rodgers' new team. But while Sigurdsson's goals brought him headlines, the dominant feature of the Swansea midfield was their perpetually precise passing. The deepest of them, Leon Britton, was deemed the English Xavi, so high was his pass completion rate. Together with Joe Allen, he lent the control Rodgers values. If there are no direct Anfield equivalents of the undersized pass masters, the quality of Steven Gerrard and Lucas Leiva dictates they must start if fit. The Brazilian will presumably be deputed with becoming the passing hub of the side, always available to receive and recycle possession at the base of the midfield.

But the identity of the third midfielder is more intriguing. Rewind a year and Charlie Adam was signed for his passing, yet the Scot's idea of distribution differs greatly from his new manager's. At Blackpool, the 50-yard, diagonal 'Hollywood' balls that invariably appeared impressive in highlights packages actually resulted in the Seasiders losing possession too frequently. At Liverpool, the merits of the shorter, simpler ball are more valued. But Rodgers values one-touch passing and Adam can be too ponderous.

Then there is the resident enigma. For all the testimonies about Jordan Henderson's talent, Liverpool are yet to see enough examples of it or, indeed, to determine what sort of midfielder he is. The evidence of last season should show he is neither a right winger, nor a creative No. 10, nor a Sigurdsson-style scorer; and if he is Rodgers' kind of player.

Yet greater technical talents are available. Alberto Aquilani and Joe Cole are back from loan spells - due to a lack of buyers, in the Italian's case - but his prowess in Luciano Spalletti's Roma side, playing a Spanish-style 4-6-0, indicates a possible appeal to Rodgers. Cole's tendency to over-elaborate in possession may count against him but, after thinking he would finally be granted his preferred role off a striker when he arrived at Anfield two years ago, he could be the adjunct to the attack.

The option is to use him on the flanks, but a glimpse at Swansea's wingers - normally Nathan Dyer and Scott Sinclair - shows Rodgers' preference for pace. His interest in Sinclair and his admiration for the precocious Raheem Stirling make sense but the speediest of Liverpool's senior options are Craig Bellamy, linked with a return to Cardiff, and Luis Suarez, who often lined up on the right of a front three for Ajax.

In a one-striker system, there is the question of how to accommodate the Uruguayan; his profligacy and tendency to roam count against him as that lone forward, while his willingness to appear everywhere means he is far from a conventional winger. The simple thing is determining that Suarez starts, the harder element determining where.

Andy Carroll poses a different dilemma. Aerial prowess is not necessarily the most useful attribute in a short-passing team. While Liverpool's need for a predatory finisher is obvious, consider the most successful strikers for Rodgers at Swansea: Fabio Borini and Danny Graham. These are multi-dimensional footballers, part target men, part mobile movers, part finishers. Unless he becomes the second Mark Hateley at AC Milan, Carroll's challenge may be to emulate them. Intriguingly, given his Spanish influence, Rodgers has pondered playing without a striker at Swansea, though last season would suggest Liverpool need forwards, not false nines.

At the other end of the pitch, Rodgers may be better served. He likes a footballing goalkeeper, so Pepe Reina could be his Michel Vorm, and attacking full-backs, indicating Glen Johnson and Jose Enrique should remain in favour. Few centre-backs pass the ball better than Daniel Agger, even if Jamie Carragher's propensity to aim long may count against the declining veteran, while keeping Martin Skrtel is an objective.

Rodgers' teams don't concede by not losing the ball. Scoring requires different characteristics altogether: a clinical touch, more creativity, class and quickness on the flanks and greater conviction. After an end-of-season improvement, Carroll may need more of an all-round game; Stewart Downing a dramatic turnaround in performance, end product and even personality.

For the second successive summer, there is a need for quality additions in the final third, one heightened by Dirk Kuyt's departure. If the midfield tends to be the pivotal area in any Rodgers team, Liverpool's difficulties last season lay across the front half of the side. Many of the men who were Dalglish's buys have rarely looked Liverpool players. In style of play, they may not be Rodgers players either. At a club with a tradition of managerial messiahs, it would be achievement to make Liverpool play like Swansea, especially if that transformation takes place without several signings.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/1122743/rodgers-may-need-to-add-to-player-pool?cc=5739
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #128: Jul 05, 2012 02:14:53 pm
                                     Reina

Skrtel                Agger

Johnson                 Lucas                      Enrique

Aquilani              Gerrard

Ramirez          Suarez              Maxi

False 9 formation.

Reckon we need back up for Lucas, and a couple of attacking players to link up with Suarez.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #129: Jul 08, 2012 04:12:34 am
                                     Reina

Skrtel                Agger

Johnson                 Lucas                      Enrique

Aquilani              Gerrard

Ramirez          Suarez              Maxi

False 9 formation.

I really like the look of that, if we have a small budget.  Would prefer to see Suarez come in off the wings and have us get a quick, tricky striker to play in the middle, but this could work. 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #130: Jul 08, 2012 07:41:17 am
      I've said this before I know but I think it will be interesting to see how Skrtel gets on with Rodgers' high defensive line.

Was rather dodgy for me and committed lots and lots of reckless fouls under Rafa's high line to the point where I would of let him go but then flourished under Hodgson and Kenny's deep defensive lines.

Hopefully the last two seasons will give him enough confidence and experience to adapt but as I say, it will be interesting.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #131: Jul 08, 2012 01:01:01 pm
      I've said this before I know but I think it will be interesting to see how Skrtel gets on with Rodgers' high defensive line.

Was rather dodgy for me and committed lots and lots of reckless fouls under Rafa's high line to the point where I would of let him go but then flourished under Hodgson and Kenny's deep defensive lines.

Hopefully the last two seasons will give him enough confidence and experience to adapt but as I say, it will be interesting.
      What about having Agger and Lucas together as Barca do with Masch?.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #132: Jul 08, 2012 01:03:51 pm
      What about having Agger and Lucas together as Barca do with Masch?.

Why F**k about with anything. Skrtel and Agger are really good mates and you can see when they play together, they are very calm and if either are injured Coates should be stepping up.

Mascherano is so good for Barcelona because he almost plays like a third centre-back because he plays that deep when he plays for Argentina.
      liverpoollovefc
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #133: Jul 08, 2012 09:28:58 pm
      I see Carroll played in the center with Suarez and hopefully somebody like Ramirez played on the outsides. Aqua or Cole could in theory fit into his style of play-who knows one of them could be a huge surprise for us this season, but if either aren't going to play a lot, we need to ship off and get rid of the wages.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #134: Jul 09, 2012 06:58:46 am
      What about a Cole-Gerrrad partnership at creating? I remember them combining superbly in pre-season when Cole arrived and I think it might do wonders.

Imagine:
                         Lucas
               Cole          Gerrard
      Suarez      Carrolll       Ramirez/Maxi

Subs: New striker- Henderson-Aquilani-Ramirez/Maxi- Coates-Carra/Wilson- Jones/Doni

In fact if Cole and Aquilani stay and prove to be good, we'll save several millions!
      we need a creative AM and Cole and Aquilani  can both play there, we need 2 wingers? We're chasing Ramirez and Cole can play there too!
      So we save about 10mil on a CM/AM and about 15mil on a good winger!
      with these virtual 20-25mil we can sign a really good striker(jovetic, De Jong, Huntelaar, Higuain) , a world class winger/playmaker or invest in a DM like M'Villa.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #135: Jul 10, 2012 01:42:46 am
      Could anyone suggest where and how Ramirez, Dempsey and Borini would fit into the team? And in place of whom?
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #136: Jul 10, 2012 02:17:16 am
      Could anyone suggest where and how Ramirez, Dempsey and Borini would fit into the team? And in place of whom?

Adam Downing Kuyt
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #137: Jul 10, 2012 03:29:07 am

Gerrard           Lucas
                          Ramirez

Suarez                                Dempsey
                          Carroll (Borini)

Like that. I could see Ramirez playing a role similar to what Sigurdsson did for Swansea last season. Dempsey and Suarez the wingers, could switch often if they want then Carroll up top some games when a tall, powerful striker is require and Borini up top when we're looking to control the game more and want to play someone that's a bit quicker, more suited for a fluid system, and has a bit better ability on and off the ball.

That'd be quite a dangerous attack with Carroll or Borini in my opinion.

Quick Reply