Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Brendan Rodgers playing style - who is likely to be in or out of favour?

Read 20214 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Brendan Rodgers playing style - who is likely to be in or out of favour?
      Reply #46: May 31, 2012 03:09:52 pm

Fight, fight, fight.....

Sorry!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #47: May 31, 2012 03:15:56 pm
      Didn't use any offensive language myself, so a little hurt by this outburst. Hmmmmm

Aww Diddums, i'm so sorry you are hurt, perhaps if you were'nt so critical your hurt may not have come about.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #48: May 31, 2012 03:24:55 pm
      Maxi,Cole, Aquilani and Henderson would benefit much if they stay. Gerrard and Lucas could be the dynamo off the team and Adam would give options in midfield with his left foot. Speaing would find it hard here since he's not the most intelligent CM! Carra would find it hard I guess. As for Carroll I think that he's gifted for a player of his height and won't find it difficult to adapf, we just needproper wingers with a good crossing ability.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #49: May 31, 2012 03:33:40 pm
      Aww Diddums, i'm so sorry you are hurt, perhaps if you were'nt so critical your hurt may not have come about.

Sarcasm mate,

You mentioned Swansea's 3 outstanding players last season, Are they good enough for LFC? Doubt it, Are Swansea going to sell them? Doubt it.

I'd much rather we were looking at Affelay, Aquilani and Adam Johnson for these positions.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #50: May 31, 2012 03:35:58 pm
      Sarcasm mate,

You mentioned Swansea's 3 outstanding players last season, Are they good enough for LFC? Doubt it, Are Swansea going to sell them? Doubt it.

I'd much rather we were looking at Affelay, Aquilani and Adam Johnson for these positions.

Swansea don't own Sigurdson. Hoffenheim are listening to offers.

Affelay is injury-prone.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #51: May 31, 2012 03:49:44 pm
      Without any new signings or injuries, I could see us lining up like this:

Reina

Johnson          Skrtel             Agger               Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard             Henderson

Suarez                       Carroll                        Sterling/Downing*

If it's Downing, I'd say he and Suarez would start on opposite flanks than what I have listed. I can also see Suarez operating as a false nine and Kuyt shifting out to the right side of the attack.

I, like many others, think Adam will suffer and so will Carra. I actually don't know how well Kelly will do either, and think Enrique really needs to work on passing quicker (I think this is the main reason he's never been called up to Spain). I think Spearing can do fine, though wouldn't cry if he was gone. Joe Cole and Aquilani are indeed good options coming back on loan, but they may hurt the wage bill.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #52: May 31, 2012 03:50:23 pm

Swansea don't own Sigurdson. Hoffenheim are listening to offers.

Up to yesterday both parties had agreed terms and it was down to a medical today/tomorrow/Sat. If he's serious and he fits in then matching the £6.8m would seal it I'd imagine.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #53: May 31, 2012 03:53:16 pm
      I think Rodgers was important to the move though.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #54: May 31, 2012 03:59:51 pm
      I think Rodgers was important to the move though.

Correct. He was. He was the tipping point, and he may not want to move there if Rodgers has left.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #55: May 31, 2012 04:22:12 pm
      I think Jones, Carra, Adam, Kuyt, Maxi, Bellamy could all be casualties.

Then maybe Aquilani, Cole, Spearing too.
      Comatorium
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 696 posts |
      Reply #56: May 31, 2012 04:22:22 pm
      „Adam on his love for Liverpool" on the offal, published today...
      chuckle-worthy
      WildIRL
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #57: May 31, 2012 04:53:41 pm
      I would argue that Hendo is fundamentally sound, but not technically gifted.  He has good ball control and his short/long passing is good, but he lacks the ability to perform a really crafty turn to lose a marker or play himself out of a tight spot and this is something I think is necessary for playing the tiki-taka style of football.  Stevie has this ability.... as do Joe Cole and Aquilani, but I haven't seen this from Hendo. 

Ah we have different definitions of technically gifted. (edit: Check out his skills test in the video section for the laugh)

I would agree though that he either lacks the ability to beat players or chooses not to. Which he needs to improve on. Its his decision making that needs to be worked on now, so I hope Buck is up to the task. I believe Henderson will grow into the player we hope he does.

Looking forward to the unveiling tomorrow in the new kit (hopefully at 5pm, my sweepstakes choice although in hindsight 3pm will probably be closer).
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #58: May 31, 2012 04:55:02 pm
      chuckle-worthy

"Please don't sell me on gaffer, PLEEEEEAASSE!!"
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #59: May 31, 2012 05:04:31 pm
      chuckle-worthy
      "Please don't sell me on gaffer, PLEEEEEAASSE!!"

:lmao: at the picture the site used!

They couldn't use a better one?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #60: May 31, 2012 05:10:59 pm
      He's going to love Suso.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #61: May 31, 2012 05:38:52 pm
      I like this guy already, he speaks the truth and i can see players hanging on every word he says.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #62: May 31, 2012 06:02:13 pm
      My only worry for Adam is his fitness and stamina.

Charlie Adam is a very good passer of the ball and is good at making space in tight areas.

Comments saying he can't fit into a pass and move style are F***ing laughable.
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #63: May 31, 2012 08:14:27 pm
      He should love Suso and Joao. He's a big fan of technique and those 2 have brilliant technique.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #64: May 31, 2012 08:48:21 pm
      If you read my post it says i would not mind Siggurddsson, Sinclair or Allen, that's 1,2 3 players that could fit into Rodgers style, hardly the whole f***in team, if your going to have a pop at my posts have the decency to get it right,  otherwise dont f***in bother, and keep that hole in your face shut.

Knob
      Bozkat
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #65: May 31, 2012 09:08:15 pm
      Unfortunately I know very little about Northern Irelands answer to Pep Guardiola having been limited to what I seen at Anfield last November and highlights on MOD. However, would like him to recall Aquilani then promise everyone that Downing never pulls a red jersey over his head again. Think the yanks will want him to be the man to bring young players through so it could mean limited opportunities for more senior players.Its hard to know or even to speculate.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #66: May 31, 2012 10:08:00 pm
      My only worry for Adam is his fitness and stamina.

Charlie Adam is a very good passer of the ball and is good at making space in tight areas.

Comments saying he can't fit into a pass and move style are f**king laughable.

Have to disagree with this Hardcore, Adam makes poor decisions when in advanced areas as demonstrated many times last year when choosing to shoot rather than lay it off to players in better positions. When he does pass he very rarely moves to make space for himself or others and his pressing game is severely lacking. I honestly think he's guaranteed to either warm the bench or be sold in the summer. I'd personally use him as a squad option but high energy, high tempo pass and move is about as alien to Charlie as mixed grill is to a vegetarian.
      Rammstein Red Chrome7
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #67: May 31, 2012 10:19:50 pm
      We have a lot of good ball players with the exception of Henderson who best work is when he runs off when substituted . I don't see many comings or goings  based on the assumption that we don't have a large transfer budget. Our major cash cow is Suarez but it is improbable to think that he would be sold.It is interesting that a director of football is no longer on the table at Rodgers insistence  showing that he is coming on his own terms.
      Perhaps the weight of expectation has been diluted with the appointment of Rodgers and any improvement in terms of league position would be seen as a success in his first season. As for new players who knows , 50 or 60 names could be mentioned but it would be hard to predict which players will be coming in. He may raid his old club but there are few there that would radically improve our side and the targets he may have penciled in for Swansea might not be the right fit for us.So I will just wait and see who arrives and perhaps leaves and then hope that it will be enough to regain some degree respect in the league.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #68: May 31, 2012 10:25:05 pm

Comments saying he can't fit into a pass and move style are f**king laughable.

9 out of 10 times Adam doesn't look up and simply boots the ball as far as he can. He is slow and makes poor decisions. He would have fitted in well with Hodgson's system but he will certainly not fit in with Rodgers' philosophy.

Quick Reply