Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Pre-Season Friendlies and the discussion thereof.

Read 43286 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Re: Pre-Season Friendlies and the discussion thereof.
      Reply #1311: Aug 12, 2012 05:12:44 pm
      Absolutely. So often when you bring on a raft of subs the tempo of the game is all but destroyed and we saw that in the second half. But what is concerning for Henderson, Adam and Spearing is that they have a mammoth effort on their hands to displace what will be a central midfield trio of Gerrard, Lucas and Allen. Worse still for Hendo, Adam and Spearing is that it seems Jonjo Shelvey has risen to a position to be deployed comfortably as that "4th option" in midfield should Gerrard, Allen or Lucas become injured or subbed. (I know Allen hasn't played a second for Liverpool yet but we must all presume that he will complete a midfield trio of Gerrard and Lucas, right?). Henderson, Adam and Spearing will have their work cut out but it's a challenge for them. And there should be nothing better than a challenge and I hope they prosper.

Shelvey has been pretty good for me. Like you I assume Allen, Lucas and Gerrard are going to be penciled in every week barring injury. Shelvey is going to be the first choice off the bench so the the other 3 are all going to be fighting for scraps. That's a lot of investment (Henderson and Adam) to be fighting for 10 minutes here or there?

Also with Andy...don't know how much playing time he'll get if he Brendan doesn't find him suitable to his style of play (can't say myself, only BR can answer that)...if he finds himself on the bench most games that's a lot of money sitting there as a sub.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1312: Aug 12, 2012 05:13:27 pm

Don't you think the cameramen would have found him like they did Allen?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1313: Aug 12, 2012 05:14:22 pm

Any reports on Messi, Kaka, etal being there too?  :f_whistle:
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #1314: Aug 12, 2012 05:15:36 pm
      I hate friendly's cant wait for next week.
      What we need to do very soon is conclude our business get the players out of the club that Brendan does not want and get in his own men.
      We cannot possibly be as unlucky as last year.

Roll on West Brom we like going there and although the first 5 games are difficult getting good results would put is in a very positive mood.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1315: Aug 12, 2012 05:16:02 pm
      Shelvey has been pretty good for me. Like you I assume Allen, Lucas and Gerrard are going to be penciled in every week barring injury. Shelvey is going to be the first choice off the bench so the the other 3 are all going to be fighting for scraps. That's a lot of investment (Henderson and Adam) to be fighting for 10 minutes here or there?

Also with Andy...don't know how much playing time he'll get if he Brendan doesn't find him suitable to his style of play (can't say myself, only BR can answer that)...if he finds himself on the bench most games that's a lot of money sitting there as a sub.

It's been said before but I'll say it again with regards to two of our midfield players. Gerrard and Lucas in this match and against Gomel showed how comfortable and controlling they were in the midfield. They kept the tempo up and showed some excellent awareness. It goes to show that Kenny missing these two players for the majority of last season really cost him his job. I genuinely believe that with Stevie and our Brazilian maestro fully fit for the whole season we would have challenged for that 4th place and possibly got it. Lucas in particular was the keystone to success last season and once he was removed our structure collapsed. The friendly today reminded me how much missing those two cost us last season! History would have been a whole lot different had that not been the case. But that's the past and I guess we shouldn't dwell on it.
      BigGreg
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #1316: Aug 12, 2012 05:22:39 pm

Adam for Dempsey, I hope it gets done
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #1317: Aug 12, 2012 05:24:09 pm

To be fair he does say supposedly.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1318: Aug 12, 2012 05:24:20 pm
      Don't you think the cameramen would have found him like they did Allen?

He was supposedly in the directors box
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1319: Aug 12, 2012 05:25:16 pm
      Any reports on Messi, Kaka, etal being there too?  :f_whistle:

I see where corbs is getting it.....twitter may explode from all of the tweets saying that Dempsey was supposedly at Anfield today.

Even though amazingly ESPN's cameramen couldn't find him for a shot like they did Allen.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #1320: Aug 12, 2012 05:30:09 pm
      I see where corbs is getting it.....twitter may explode from all of the tweets saying that Dempsey was supposedly at Anfield today.

Even though amazingly ESPN's cameramen couldn't find him for a shot like they did Allen.

Loading Tweets seems to be taking a while.
      Twitter may be over capacity or experiencing a momentary hiccup. Try again or visit Twitter Status for more information.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      Reply #1321: Aug 12, 2012 05:31:49 pm

Probably the same camera men that missed Evra being "Abused" too.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 825 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1322: Aug 12, 2012 05:50:39 pm
      This was definetely a game of two very different halves, the first half was played at an exciting pace and with stlyle, flair and class. We were very attacking and took our chances well.

The second half was not as eye catching however was what was needed, the team played very professionally and worked hard, getting a goal for their efforts.

Stand out players for me were, Sterling, Shelvey, Lucas & Carragher.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #1323: Aug 12, 2012 05:54:28 pm
      Missed the stream today folks - was coaching my 9yr old in a 7's tourney. How did we play? Could you determine much or was it classic half pace friendly?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1324: Aug 12, 2012 06:10:52 pm
      Missed the stream today folks - was coaching my 9yr old in a 7's tourney. How did we play? Could you determine much or was it classic half pace friendly?

First half pretty much like the Gomel game. Second half more like last year's games.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #1325: Aug 12, 2012 06:24:55 pm
      First half pretty much like the Gomel game. Second half more like last year's games.

From extreme to extreme like that??

Last years games: sh*te? OR
      Last years games: Weirdly unlucky?

Most of the fans summaries on here generally said the 1st half was boss and the second was just "not as good"? Nothing comparable to last year..?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1326: Aug 12, 2012 06:54:03 pm
      From extreme to extreme like that??

Last years games: Sh*te? OR
      Last years games: Weirdly unlucky?

Most of the fans summaries on here generally said the 1st half was boss and the second was just "not as good"? Nothing comparable to last year..?

Second half for me was weak. We had a couple bright spots (Andy's goal) but for most of the second half we were chasing the ball, not possessing it. Had some chances (mostly from Sterling) but overall we looked more back on our heels and obviously we gave up a goal as well.

Once Lucas, Gerrard and Suarez went out I think it showed what we miss from them.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1327: Aug 12, 2012 06:58:10 pm
      A win is a win and again, lots of things to take encouragement from especially in the first half.

Especially pleased for the lads who scored for different reasons.

Can't wait for West Brom now. Lets get down to business!!

Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #1328: Aug 12, 2012 07:22:13 pm
      Second half for me was weak. We had a couple bright spots (Andy's goal) but for most of the second half we were chasing the ball, not possessing it. Had some chances (mostly from Sterling) but overall we looked more back on our heels and obviously we gave up a goal as well.

Once Lucas, Gerrard and Suarez went out I think it showed what we miss from them.

Ok..No prob lad.. I never saw the game and just wanted a general summary of both halves..
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #1329: Aug 12, 2012 07:59:24 pm

Thanks - couple mates txt me said like Gomel but slipped a bit.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8662 
      Reply #1330: Aug 12, 2012 08:10:18 pm
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #1331: Aug 12, 2012 08:17:45 pm
      Good interview with the Gaffer       Liverpool 3-1 Leverkusen: Rodgers Post Match Press Conference
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1332: Aug 12, 2012 10:09:44 pm
      Good interview, I thought he looked a little uncomfortable answering questions about Andy, but maybe that is just me reading too much into it.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      Reply #1333: Aug 12, 2012 10:19:24 pm
      Good interview, I thought he looked a little uncomfortable answering questions about Andy, but maybe that is just me reading too much into it.

He's got to be careful with the Media, he does not want to get on the wrong side of them, or they will never give him any credit when we pick up No.19 :D

Quick Reply