Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Fabio Borini (Liverpool > Sunderland)

Read 195939 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Re: Fabio Borini Player Thread
      Reply #1656: Sep 02, 2014 02:57:58 pm
      Why exactly do you consistently think that people who disagree with you are trying to wind you up?  No one is winding anyone up.  We're just talking, calmly, about the situation re: transfers, and in this case Borini.

As stated the vast majority of responses to your comments involve the phrase ''wind up'' yet you allude to me making the same comment and infer that it is a paranoid response on my part.
      Have a word with yourself and stop acting soft.

On topic: Borini is not Liverpool material, the manager has come to that conclusion and that's all that counts.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1657: Sep 02, 2014 03:17:06 pm
      If not selling Borini has just cost us the chance to sign a top class striker I would have preferred the top class striker, if not selling Borini has just cost us the chance to put some money in the bank I would prefer Borini.

I don't think Borini or Lambert are good enough (just my opinion) if we really want to challenge in all competitions. Sooner or later injuries or tiredness will mean our two main strikers will miss games, then who you gonna call.... ghostbusters?

Maybe we have enough good players to overcome the problem, but in big games I would prefer better options than Borini or even Lambert.

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1658: Sep 02, 2014 03:22:58 pm
      At first i was mad at him and his wage demands to QPR, but maybe he'll come in handy in this season.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #1659: Sep 02, 2014 03:45:45 pm
      If not selling Borini has just cost us the chance to sign a top class striker I would have preferred the top class striker, if not selling Borini has just cost us the chance to put some money in the bank I would prefer Borini.

I don't think Borini or Lambert are good enough (just my opinion) if we really want to challenge in all competitions. Sooner or later injuries or tiredness will mean our two main strikers will miss games, then who you gonna call.... ghostbusters?

Maybe we have enough good players to overcome the problem, but in big games I would prefer better options than Borini or even Lambert.

Vincent Kompany likes this  :gt-happyup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLOKuho3VPY
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #1661: Sep 02, 2014 04:08:44 pm

And that's exactly why the lad could yet come in handy for us, showed good movement, strength and finishing in that goal in Sunderlands biggest game in years against the leagues best defender. But some on here won't recognise that they would rather just bash the lad and moan over Rodgers signing him in the first place. Would love for him to make an impression in the cup games this season.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1662: Sep 02, 2014 04:29:09 pm
      Why exactly do you consistently think that people who disagree with you are trying to wind you up?  No one is winding anyone up.  We're just talking, calmly, about the situation re: transfers, and in this case Borini. 

The point that you keep missing is this:

The issue is NOT that signing a player is not a gamble.  No one ever said that.  On the contrary.  Every single signing is a gamble.  Hell, Suarez going to Barcelona, that's a big risk for them.  And he's one of the best players alive.  Every single signing is to a certain extent a gamble.  You don't know for sure how the player will be on the pitch, whether he will adapt off it as well, etc.  Each transfer is a risk. 

the point I was making was that with some players, that risk can be greatly mitigated.  Let's go back to the Markovic example.  We need a winger.  Okay.  We brought in Markovic.  Worst case scenario: he ends up being afraid of his own shadow like Downing, or he hates Merseyside, or something, and it doesn't work out.

But in terms of footballing ability, the risk is very, very low, because he has already shown that he has technique, pace, can get past a man consistently, can put in an incisive pass, etc.  He showed that he had that in his arsenal before we moved for him. 

And yet with a player like Borini, he NEVER SHOWED ANYTHING EVER TO SUGGEST HE COULD MAKE IT HERE.  He doesn't have pace; he doesn't have technique; his finishing really isn't that great; he can't play on the wing; etc etc.  It got so bad that everyone started complimenting him on his "movement."  I mean that is sort of Day 1 of Striker School, movement.  Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.  Like complimenting a woman because she has two ears.

Your response was "some transfers just don't work."  But this is totally missing the point. 

If we assume that every transfer is a risk, why can't we simply stick to those transfers that have the lowest risk possible?  Markovic is a low risk, because he already has the tools to succeed.  Borini was a high risk, because he had none of the tools to succeed.

Hence why I asked why we brought him in in the first place, when we knew even before he put pen to paper that he didn't have the tools he needed in order to be a top class player.   

Do you really not see the difference between low risk signings (Markovic) and high risk signings (Borini)?

I'm asking a very simple question, not trying to wind you up, just trying to figure out why you don't think there is a difference between low risk and high risk signings, and why you just lump them all together.

Borini - Third club he has played for Brendan, Played for British clubs, Italian U-21 captain, Italian U-18 player of the tournament, cost £13m

Markovic  - Never played for Brendan, never played for a British Club, spent his time in the serbian and portugese leagues
      cost £20m

and with your usual genius logic you conclude that the first of those two is the higher risk signing for the manager.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1663: Sep 02, 2014 04:30:48 pm
      And that's exactly why the lad could yet come in handy for us, showed good movement, strength and finishing in that goal in Sunderlands biggest game in years against the leagues best defender. But some on here won't recognise that they would rather just bash the lad and moan over Rodgers signing him in the first place. Would love for him to make an impression in the cup games this season.

Borini excelled in the big games last season, he seemed to thrive and often rescued points for Sunderland especially in the cup games and during the run in.

If we want a decent domestic cup run this season and intend using our 2nd 11 to do so then Fabio could shine again.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #1664: Sep 02, 2014 04:30:57 pm
      This may be a unpopular post out here but I am happy that we still have Borini. I don't think him staying has blocked any of our move for any other forwards. I watched him a lot when he was at Sunderland and he looked good(Just good). Those who are saying he is awful have not watched him last season. Jovanovich was awful, Konchesky was awful, Ngog was awful, Johnson is awful atm. He is far from awful. At the moment, he is on par with Lambert for me. It's my own opinion but it does not suit me the way he is being abused here. But hey, to each his own.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #1665: Sep 02, 2014 04:36:19 pm

BR signed him and something obviously caught his eye in the player's style , I for one have always respected that fact, as it turns out whatever took BR's attention has not been reproduced - hence him being so far down the pecking order.
      No doubt you're a long way behind Brendan in your wish to see him improve but it hasn't happened, there have been flashes but nothing to suggest he will do it week in week out.
      No witch hunt mate I do believe for his own good and the club's he would be better off somewhere that needs him in a fuller role.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #1666: Sep 02, 2014 04:44:50 pm
      BR signed him and something obviously caught his eye in the player's style , I for one have always respected that fact, as it turns out whatever took BR's attention has not been reproduced - hence him being so far down the pecking order.
      No doubt you're a long way behind Brendan in your wish to see him improve but it hasn't happened, there have been flashes but nothing to suggest he will do it week in week out.
      No witch hunt mate I do believe for his own good and the club's he would be better off somewhere that needs him in a fuller role.

The way I see it he was unlucky with injuries in his first season, did well with Sunderland on loan in his second season, looked admittedly sh*t in preseason this season, but we need a fourth striker and we didn't seem interested in signing another even if we had sold Borini. Next season when we have Origi we definitely won't need Borini and I'm sure he'll leave. But for now there's no harm in him staying here as a back up player.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1667: Sep 02, 2014 05:43:25 pm
      Looks like he refused to move due to wage demands. Missed out on 13mill because of him. Let him rot until the end of his contact and see how many premier league clubs want to sign him when he's more washed up than he is already. Very disappointed in him and it's not like he's going to help us at all this season. Deluded money grabbing bell end. Done with him.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1668: Sep 02, 2014 06:09:44 pm
      What if he didn't want to leave Liverpool and knew by asking for huge wages he'd put off interested clubs?
      Would you want to leave a side going to challenge for the title for sides going to fight relegation?

Hating a player who plays for our club because he wouldn't move and because it maybe over his wage demands is fooking pathetic in my view

I would love to see the reaction on here if he is needed during the season and he steps up to the plate. If he won us an important game on the run in would all the haters be thankful or would they hide? Being thankful would actually be two faced 
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1669: Sep 02, 2014 06:18:06 pm
      What if he didn't want to leave Liverpool and knew by asking for huge wages he'd put off interested clubs?
      Would you want to leave a side going to challenge for the title for sides going to fight relegation?

Hating a player who plays for our club because he wouldn't move and because it maybe over his wage demands is fooking pathetic in my view

I would love to see the reaction on here if he is needed during the season and he steps up to the plate. If he won us an important game on the run in would all the haters be thankful or would they hide? Being thankful would actually be two faced 

It sounds like supporters think they are going to get rebate checks from the club in the mail if Borini got offloaded.

Look FSG (to no fault of they're own) only dumped around 25 million this window, there is money left-over should we need it in January...selling Borini for 13 million does not mean the club missed out on anything, all it means is we have an extra player which is not going to hurt us seeing how we have been running on fumes player wise for the past 2 seasons.
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #1670: Sep 02, 2014 06:31:59 pm
      It sounds like supporters think they are going to get rebate checks from the club in the mail if Borini got offloaded.

Look FSG (to no fault of they're own) only dumped around 25 million this window, there is money left-over should we need it in January...selling Borini for 13 million does not mean the club missed out on anything, all it means is we have an extra player which is not going to hurt us seeing how we have been running on fumes player wise for the past 2 seasons.

Good point.  I want to add that his value isn't going to drastically diminish over the next 12 months.  He is still young(ish) and could easily make a 6M-10M transfer next summer.  So, we keep a core of 4 strikers for this season, and can look to move him on next summer when Origi comes in. 

That is of course assuming that he is unable to stake a claim for a regular place here. 
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1671: Sep 02, 2014 07:11:34 pm

I'll admit I'm wrong if that happens...

But it won't.

Please, he's no loyalty to anyone as shown by his track record with clubs and the amount he's had. Borini couldn't care less where he is as long as he's got money in his pocket. He's a nothing player who'll we'll only remember in years to come when someone happens to say "hey remember Borini". Put him on the shelf next to Josemi, Kronkamp and Sebastian Leto never to be remembered again.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1672: Sep 02, 2014 07:18:17 pm
      Looks like he refused to move due to wage demands. Missed out on 13mill because of him. Let him rot until the end of his contact and see how many premier league clubs want to sign him when he's more washed up than he is already. Very disappointed in him and it's not like he's going to help us at all this season. Deluded money grabbing bell end. Done with him.
      If he was a money grubber wouldn't that mean he would move on from us for higher wages? Not stay to fight for his spot on the same salary?
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1673: Sep 02, 2014 07:21:57 pm
      If he was a money grubber wouldn't that mean he would move on from us for higher wages? Not stay to fight for his spot on the same salary?

The only way he was going to leave was if he got more money... He stayed here because he wasn't going to get enough at QPR. Arry' called it ridiculous wage demands and granted I take what he says with a pinch of salt it's still clearly the reason things didn't go through
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1674: Sep 02, 2014 07:28:19 pm
      I'm happy enough he's still here. Yes, I would have bit your hand off at the prices quoted for his transfer fees so far as he isn't say 3rd choice.

In his time here he has made 20 appearances in all competitions with two goals. He had a few injuries in his time here after showing promise in some of his league appearances. Had he not been injured he probably would have made his mark, but as injuries took over it's hard to judge his form. Given a season at Sunderland he scored 10 goals in 40 appearances, but ultimately it was him with a few important goals that guaranteed their survival. I would argue he's not a bad option to bring on to try change a game. In his appearances for the club he has shown no lack of desire to play.

We certainly bought him based on his form with Roma though; 10 goals in 26. A similar stat to some of the strikers we had been linked with this summer.

I hope he shows the drive and determination to get in to the team as he hasn't had enough time in it to prove himself. Whether he's one of the players told he wouldn't be getting any playing time by Brendan yet remains to be seen. He was rated highly by Brendan; whether the same opinion of him is still held again remains to be seen.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #1675: Sep 02, 2014 07:47:08 pm
      I know people ask why he would want to leave Liverpool when he has the chance of competing for titles. Is this really much better than being a money grabber? If a player knows that he is not going to get much of an opportunity because he is far down the pecking order, yet opts to stay for the chance of winning silverware, is he really much better? Just speaking generally, I'm not saying this is going to be the case with Borini. But that seems to be what some are suggesting. To me, that would be a hollow win and I'd find it hard to celebrate an achievement that i've played little or no part in.

If Borini truly believes that he can offer something and wants to fight for his place, tooth and nail, then fair play to him and I hope he (and LFC) can reap the benefits.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1676: Sep 02, 2014 07:51:57 pm
      I know people ask why he would want to leave Liverpool when he has the chance of competing for titles. Is this really much better than being a money grabber? If a player knows that he is not going to get much of an opportunity because he is far down the pecking order, yet opts to stay for the chance of winning silverware, is he really much better? Just speaking generally, I'm not saying this is going to be the case with Borini. But that seems to be what some are suggesting. To me, that would be a hollow win and I'd find it hard to celebrate an achievement that i've played little or no part in.

If Borini truly believes that he can offer something and wants to fight for his place, tooth and nail, then fair play to him and I hope he (and LFC) can reap the benefits.

I'd have more time for him wanted to stay to fight for his place but it's come out that money is the sticking point which really boils my piss (as you can most likely tell)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1677: Sep 02, 2014 08:02:02 pm
      I'd have more time for him wanted to stay to fight for his place but it's come out that money is the sticking point which really boils my piss (as you can most likely tell)

He is on like 35/40k week...Sunderland was offering him more.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #1678: Sep 02, 2014 08:08:33 pm
      He is on like 35/40k week...Sunderland was offering him more.

He didn't get enough of a pay rise for him to think it worth his while to move to a club where he'd actually make a difference. 90k is a figure being thrown around which I'm sure is exaggerated, but no doubt he's wanted to move on until he didn't get the 50k+ wages he was demanding, something a player of his talent and pedigree doesn't deserve.

Quick Reply