Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

World Cup 2014 Brasil Qualifiers

Read 27583 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: World Cup 2014 Brasil Qualifiers
      Reply #115: Jun 11, 2013 09:16:44 pm
      Good goal indeed, keeper probably could have done better but that was a great play.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #116: Jun 11, 2013 10:48:11 pm
      Good goal indeed, keeper probably could have done better but that was a great play.

Agree, certainly looks an exciting player. Was it a qualifier or a friendly? That's a thrashing for Denmark by a pretty unknown Armenia team, bar Mkhitaryan (nightmare to try remember how to spell ;D ).
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #117: Jun 12, 2013 01:49:38 pm
      Stayed up late to watch the US-Panama game. 2-0 to the Stars and Stripes, and they were quite brilliant. Probably the best performance under Klinsmann to date. The US is currently topping the Hex with like 3 or 4 more matches at home left. Pretty good chances of qualifying comfortably after a disaster start in Honduras.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #118: Jun 12, 2013 01:53:45 pm
      Stayed up late to watch the US-Panama game. 2-0 to the Stars and Stripes, and they were quite brilliant. Probably the best performance under Klinsmann to date. The US is currently topping the Hex with like 3 or 4 more matches at home left. Pretty good chances of qualifying comfortably after a disaster start in Honduras.

Was a good game and thought they played pretty well. Klinsmann's ideas seem to be coming to fruition. Still think we need a better LB than Beasley, he's breakable and may not hold up against world class talent. Really thought Cameron's midfield play was superb last night and Altidore is becoming the beast that everyone always thought he should be. Had some great touches and used his strength well to give Panama's defense all kinds of problems. It seems like he's finally "getting" it.

One thing we could use is a forward with some speed. At one point Altidore and Dempsey were leading a break and it looked like two Mack trucks trying to pass each other on the interstate. ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #119: Jun 12, 2013 01:55:30 pm
      Oh and glad to see Mexico only get one point. Especially after their fans were shown throwing things at (and hitting) the Costa Rican captain as he was trying to take a corner.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #120: Jun 12, 2013 02:49:46 pm
      Oh and glad to see Mexico only get one point. Especially after their fans were shown throwing things at (and hitting) the Costa Rican captain as he was trying to take a corner.

Bryan Ruiz. No surprises there when it comes to Azteca. Such total classlessness when they're team isn't performing well.

Was a good game and thought they played pretty well. Klinsmann's ideas seem to be coming to fruition. Still think we need a better LB than Beasley, he's breakable and may not hold up against world class talent. Really thought Cameron's midfield play was superb last night and Altidore is becoming the beast that everyone always thought he should be. Had some great touches and used his strength well to give Panama's defense all kinds of problems. It seems like he's finally "getting" it.

One thing we could use is a forward with some speed. At one point Altidore and Dempsey were leading a break and it looked like two Mack trucks trying to pass each other on the interstate. ;D

Well, you have to remember that DaMarcus Beasley was once a good left winger, not a natural LB. Brilliant when he was younger on the Fire and US. I think Fabian Johnson, who's actually LW, is a better LB than Beasley, but we've got no one else who can play on the left, so we have to make do and move Johnson back to his natural position. LB is such a difficult position to fill.

I think the Besler-Gonzalez CB pairing will come to fruition as they get more games together. Dropping Bocanegra and bringing in 2 young MLSers may just be a masterstroke by Jürgen in the long run. I was shocked when Boca got dropped - he was the captain! - but maybe Klinsmann knows a little more than I do haha.

Geoff Cameron, the ugly b***ard, was very good last night, as was Michael Bradley, who's fast becoming my favorite American player. Technically sound and tactically very astutue.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #121: Jun 12, 2013 02:56:13 pm
      Bryan Ruiz. No surprises there when it comes to Azteca. Such total classlessness when they're team isn't performing well.

Well, you have to remember that DaMarcus Beasley was once a good left winger, not a natural LB. Brilliant when he was younger on the Fire and US. I think Fabian Johnson, who's actually LW, is a better LB than Beasley, but we've got no one else who can play on the left, so we have to make do and move Johnson back to his natural position. LB is such a difficult position to fill.

I think the Besler-Gonzalez CB pairing will come to fruition as they get more games together. Dropping Bocanegra and bringing in 2 young MLSers may just be a masterstroke by Jürgen in the long run. I was shocked when Boca got dropped - he was the captain! - but maybe Klinsmann knows a little more than I do haha.

Geoff Cameron, the ugly b***ard, was very good last night, as was Michael Bradley, who's fast becoming my favorite American player. Technically sound and tactically very astutue.

Yea I think Jürgen has an idea of the type of player he wants and how he wants them to play (much like Brendan Rodgers) and if he's given time to do things his way I think we'll be better for it in the long run.

Can't say enough about the crowd last night either, they were immense.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #122: Jun 12, 2013 03:08:20 pm
      Yea I think Jürgen has an idea of the type of player he wants and how he wants them to play (much like Brendan Rodgers) and if he's given time to do things his way I think we'll be better for it in the long run.

Can't say enough about the crowd last night either, they were immense.

Yeah they were. I hope they schedule a match in Portland as well. The US needs to actually play home matches, as oppossed to half of the crowd (most of whom are actually Americans, mind you) rooting for the other team.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #123: Jun 12, 2013 05:00:46 pm
      Yeah they were. I hope they schedule a match in Portland as well. The US needs to actually play home matches, as oppossed to half of the crowd (most of whom are actually Americans, mind you) rooting for the other team.

You mean like playing Mexico in Dallas or LA or somewhere like that :)

Need to start playing more matches in Denver...maybe try out Lambeau Field in December ;D
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #124: Jun 12, 2013 05:09:50 pm
      You mean like playing Mexico in Dallas or LA or somewhere like that :)

Need to start playing more matches in Denver...maybe try out Lambeau Field in December ;D

I have this strange liking towards the American football team. Hate to say it but many people in this part of the world are dismissive of American football (soccer ;) ) and the national teams progression. However, as someone who loves watching football and hopes that it develops further in to an even bigger worldwide game, I think the US are responsible for allowing this to happen. There is also a part of me that loves seeing Americans and Aussies learning to love the game as much as myself. For that reason, I always route for the US in big tournaments and that will be no different in the next World Cup.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #125: Jun 12, 2013 05:31:53 pm
      I have this strange liking towards the American football team. Hate to say it but many people in this part of the world are dismissive of American football (soccer ;) ) and the national teams progression. However, as someone who loves watching football and hopes that it develops further in to an even bigger worldwide game, I think the US are responsible for allowing this to happen. There is also a part of me that loves seeing Americans and Aussies learning to love the game as much as myself. For that reason, I always route for the US in big tournaments and that will be no different in the next World Cup.

I so wish it would get to the stage of popularity here that it is in the rest of the world. And the popularity does ebb and flow with our national team's success (or lack of). I think Klinsmann is off to a good start, I just hope he gets time. The MLS is actually getting better and I find myself enjoying watching the games when they are on so the improvement is there, but it will take time.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #126: Jun 12, 2013 05:40:50 pm

Appreciate it! We'll get there eventually. Really got to sort out our youth system and domestic leagues though, but the fact that the majority of the current US squad got their start in MLS is a step in the right direction at least.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #127: Jun 12, 2013 05:55:02 pm
      I so wish it would get to the stage of popularity here that it is in the rest of the world. And the popularity does ebb and flow with our national team's success (or lack of). I think Klinsmann is off to a good start, I just hope he gets time. The MLS is actually getting better and I find myself enjoying watching the games when they are on so the improvement is there, but it will take time.

Appreciate it! We'll get there eventually. Really got to sort out our youth system and domestic leagues though, but the fact that the majority of the current US squad got their start in MLS is a step in the right direction at least.

I don't claim to have watched a lot of the MLS but from what I've seen of it, I think it is a decent standard. There are some really technically gifted players. I've always been impressed by the work rate of the US players as well. Take, as an example, Brian McBride. Not the greatest player around but he worked his ass off and he nicked in with a few goals. It's a shame Freddie Adu has never lived up to the huge expectations placed on him. He is the type of player the team could do with.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #128: Jun 12, 2013 07:29:22 pm
      I don't claim to have watched a lot of the MLS but from what I've seen of it, I think it is a decent standard. There are some really technically gifted players. I've always been impressed by the work rate of the US players as well. Take, as an example, Brian McBride. Not the greatest player around but he worked his ass off and he nicked in with a few goals. It's a shame Freddie Adu has never lived up to the huge expectations placed on him. He is the type of player the team could do with.

As a kid, McBride was one of my influences as a player. Incredible work rate and as tough as they come.

MLS is definitely improving, but it's going to still take a number of years to climb up the American sports pyramid in terms of general fans and media attention. There are some good little players though, and the club academy system is slowly starting to grow a bit. I think a couple of guys like Jack McInerney and Luis Gil, 20 and 19 respectively, will be the future of the US squad.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #129: Jun 12, 2013 08:20:05 pm
      As a kid, McBride was one of my influences as a player. Incredible work rate and as tough as they come.

MLS is definitely improving, but it's going to still take a number of years to climb up the American sports pyramid in terms of general fans and media attention. There are some good little players though, and the club academy system is slowly starting to grow a bit. I think a couple of guys like Jack McInerney and Luis Gil, 20 and 19 respectively, will be the future of the US squad.

Like I said, and I know many who wouldn't agree with me, I hope it continues to grow as its such a superpower in world sport and I love seeing people learning to love the game as much as I do.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #130: Jun 12, 2013 08:35:59 pm
      Semps,
      I'm actually very jealous of the rest of the world (especially the UK) when it comes to football (soccer). Everyone else in the world, just about everyone knows how to play and loves the game. Growing up in rural Ohio I didn't have the chance to watch or play soccer. It was pretty much the big three, basketball, football and baseball. It wasn't until I went to college and lived with some of the guys on our school's soccer team that I really learned  about the sport and got into it. 38 years old now and alas I will never get the chance to play competitively, but I am coaching my two sons' youth teams (U8 and U11) so at least they'll love the game like I now do.

For me it's Football (NFL), Football and Golf. Don't care too much about any other sports although I'll watch just about anything. Anyway, I digress, way off topic.....but suffice to say I can't wait for the World Cup.

;D
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #131: Jun 12, 2013 08:56:31 pm
      I worked in the US National Team setup for 4 years. My experience there was very interesting, as I don't feel the Federation really puts forth the proper time and effort and more importantly financial backing. The coaching is extremely poor and the players are genuinely don't ever experience a coach that can take them by the hand and teach them the proper way of playing football. I was with the U20's and it never progressed. Players came and went through the set up and never had made it to the Senior team, they were never even looked at by the Senior team coaches.

As for the current National Team, it's complete sh*t. They hire mockery of coaches there including Klinsmann and Bradley alike. Instead of spending the money and time to find a manager who is dedicated to the project. Who is wanting to further not only domestic football in America but also the National League the MLS. Klinsmann to be fair has not an idea of football, he is a showsman on the sidelines as he was a "big name" for some of the National Team followers.

Very limited as a country and if they were to have to qualify in another part of the world, they wouldn't make it far. Until the resources are upped and the commitment is there, the country will always stay the same. No improvement for 20 years for America.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,450 posts | 8656 
      Reply #132: Jun 18, 2013 12:17:36 pm
      Australia 1 Iraq 0
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #133: Jun 18, 2013 10:26:18 pm

Where off to Brazil!

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,450 posts | 8656 
      Reply #134: Jun 19, 2013 12:25:56 am

Hahaha via Colombia!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6816 
      Reply #135: Jun 19, 2013 01:18:55 am

Sounds like a plan bud.  ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #136: Jun 19, 2013 01:30:01 am
      US beats Honduras this evening and we should be all but booked for Brazil....a big change from early qualifying when the team was struggling.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      Reply #137: Jun 19, 2013 01:35:51 am
      Japan
      Australia
      Iran
      South Korea

Have qualify for the finals 2014.