Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Transfer Policies.

Read 4883 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Re: Transfer Policies.
      Reply #23: Nov 20, 2012 07:00:33 pm
      I think he is a perfect example - as is Konchesky, Carroll, Downing , Henderson , Aquilani , Adam , Keane. Plus others over the years
      We'll have to agree to disagree on this one GL, I can't see how you can put the Poulsen transfer in the same category as the others in regards of paying too much to bring him in, fully agree in terms of shipping him out for a £3m loss but not for the fee paid.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #24: Nov 20, 2012 07:01:33 pm
      I think the problems started when David Moores decided to sell. 

Parry wouldn't sanction a lot of players Rafa wanted, players who went on to become high value players.  Then after the sale to H&G and Rafa falling out with Parry, we had t*thead Purslow holding the purse strings with the sole intention of selling anyone and everyone to pay the banks.

He then went along with Roy's choice of players, all aging has beens on big wages.

Let's face it, we haven't really had anyone who knows what they are doing with transfers since the days of Peter Robinson, pre EPL.

Maybe that's why we've never won the bloody thing!

Excellent point Debs about Peter Robinson.

We were the envy of other clubs back then when we had the best administrator in the game doing our transfer business.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25: Nov 20, 2012 07:02:52 pm
      Excellent point Debs about Peter Robinson.

We were the envy of other clubs back then when we had the best administrator in the game doing our transfer business.

We sure did mate.  Never knew anything about them either till the photo shoot at Anfield.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #26: Nov 20, 2012 07:02:54 pm
      £4m for a Danish international with 2 years left on his contract who'd played 25 games for a top European side is not an over inflated price.

The fact we only got £1m when we sold him on is the whole problem I see with what's was going off/is still going off at our club.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #27: Nov 20, 2012 07:04:52 pm
      I think the problems started when David Moores decided to sell. 

Parry wouldn't sanction a lot of players Rafa wanted, players who went on to become high value players.  Then after the sale to H&G and Rafa falling out with Parry, we had t*thead Purslow holding the purse strings with the sole intention of selling anyone and everyone to pay the banks.

He then went along with Roy's choice of players, all aging has beens on big wages.

Let's face it, we haven't really had anyone who knows what they are doing with transfers since the days of Peter Robinson, pre EPL.

Maybe that's why we've never won the bloody thing!
      Totally agree with this, can remember them days well. Too long ago for my liking debs!
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #28: Nov 20, 2012 07:05:48 pm
      We sure did mate.  Never knew anything about them either till the photo shoot at Anfield.
      The way things should still be GL.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #29: Nov 20, 2012 07:07:40 pm
      £4m for a Danish international with 2 years left on his contract who'd played 25 games for a top European side is not an over inflated price.

The fact we only got £1m when we sold him on is the whole problem I see with what's was going off/is still going off at our club.

Getting Edgar Davids on free was a good deal - the is a reason why we only got £1mil for him - because that's what he is was worth. Juve virtually snapped our hand off when we offered £4mil
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #30: Nov 20, 2012 07:07:50 pm
      Totally agree with this, can remember them days well. Too long ago for my liking debs!

Still only feels like yesterday mate.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #31: Nov 20, 2012 07:12:19 pm

:)
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #32: Nov 20, 2012 07:13:25 pm

Pretty impossible to have deals like that now - I expect have the reason we didn't know was because there wasn't an Internet around to spread messages around.

Can remember rumours circulating round the ground in those days though
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #33: Nov 20, 2012 07:15:34 pm
      Bless him.  I wanted to be him, as in Secretary of a Football Club.  I did but only at local level.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #34: Nov 20, 2012 07:16:40 pm
      Pretty impossible to have deals like that now - I expect have the reason we didn't know was because there wasn't an Internet around to spread messages around.

Can remember rumours circulating round the ground in those days though

More's the pity those days are gone though mate. 
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #35: Nov 20, 2012 07:18:26 pm

Fully agree -
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #36: Nov 20, 2012 07:38:25 pm

Long gone now and gone forever which is a shame.
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #37: Nov 20, 2012 07:43:29 pm
      It makes me sad.

It's one of the things that really annoys me about our club and instead of improving it seems to be getting worse. I hoped Rodgers' reign would be the start of a new era in terms of transfer policy, but to start off with he's had to undo a lot of mistakes and take massive hits on fees received and maybe even wages part paid (Aquilani?).

I keep hearing talk of us buying Tom Ince from Blackpool, and it would be typical of us to sell him for pennies and then buy him back for millions.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #38: Nov 21, 2012 12:12:06 am
      Rafa may have bought a lot of average players but unlike some of his predecessors and successors, he ditched them pretty quickly if they didn't work out. That was one of his strengths. He didn't stick with an obviously bad buy. Better to make a small loss and add the money to that season's kitty to buy a better player than stick with someone who will never be good enough.

I keep hearing talk of us buying Tom Ince from Blackpool, and it would be typical of us to sell him for pennies and then buy him back for millions.

We should follow the Barcelona way of doing things and inserting buy-back clauses in transfers.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #39: Nov 21, 2012 05:59:39 am

The fact we pay these types top wages is the issue and we have no other option than to sell them at a massive loss otherwise no club would touch them.

We certainly need to wise up in the transfer market and as its been mentioned, such a shame because Peter Robinson was the main man back in the day and was a massive part of that "Liverpool way" of doing things.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #40: Nov 21, 2012 10:43:22 am
      Ah the old "Transfer Policies"/"Judgment In The Transfer Market" debate... it's been nigh on eight months since we've had a thread on this.

Rather than bore you all again by going through all the rationale and examples again (this time 'round) I'll just state the obvious: Irrespective of who the manager/owner is; when it comes to transfers - you win some, you lose some; always has been the case, always will be.  :-\
      Bier
      Reply #41: Nov 21, 2012 02:16:27 pm
      True, but some lose more than others.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #42: Nov 21, 2012 06:07:08 pm

Fast forward a couple of years to the back end of Rafa's reign and the more recent years now it seems we bring in these average players yet ship them out along with a massive loss!

It all started around the Robbie Keane transfer horror show.

Keane £7m loss.
      Dossena £2.5m.
      Aquilani £14m.
      Poulsen £3.5m.
      Adam £3m.

It all started with the Alonso insanity .. money over sense (!?*"!) .....and Yes ....... the Robbie Keane insanity.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #43: Nov 21, 2012 06:16:18 pm

We certainly need to wise up in the transfer market and as its been mentioned, such a shame because Peter Robinson was the main man back in the day and was a massive part of that "Liverpool way" of doing things.
      Totally agree with you re Peter Robinson but then again he was a man who put the club first and I think it was T.V.Williams who had the wisdom to bring Peter to Anfield in the early 1960s.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #44: Nov 21, 2012 07:15:03 pm
      We probably looked more at the person than the player in the past people who had some steel.We have bought some good football players who didnt have the inner strength needed to play for this club.The old maxim of running through brickwalls should be writtern into the contracts.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #45: Nov 21, 2012 07:18:56 pm
      Edit: wrong thread

Quick Reply