Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa: In-Game and Post Match Tears

Read 49831 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Liverpool 1-3 Aston Villa: In-Game and Post Match Tears
      Reply #598: Dec 16, 2012 12:46:42 am
      Attackers  couldn't score today. Defenders  couldn't defend today. The midfield bosses the middle but the better defense won today. Suck.

One step forward bad then two steps back.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #599: Dec 16, 2012 01:35:22 am
      Wow just came on here now and some of the posts on this page are downright embarrassing.For those saying they want Rodgers sacked.I want to ask where do you think this squad would be had we got someone like Mourinho or if Kenny was still in charge ?

Rodgers has inherited a team striving to get back in the champions league riddled with mediocre overpaid chancers in Joe Cole,Downing,and Carroll to begin with.He has been forced to ship out as much deadwood as possible before he is given money to invest. We've gotten rid of Bellamy,Adam,Kuyt,Maxi,Carroll,and replaced them with Allen and Assaidi. When asked would he have shipped Carroll out to West Ham had he known that they weren't signing a replacement he wouldn't have loaned him.This is not his fault.

The football we have played since he has taken over has been refreshing.He told us from day 1 that Rome wasn't built in a day and we wouldn't have this system perfected until the latter end of the system.Like last year we have been very unfortunate with both refereeing decisions and hitting the woodwork.

I am much more optimistic as a Liverpool fan than i have been for a long time.We have a clear plan for the future.The best young prospects since Owen,and Gerrard.Think back to two years ago when Hodgson was in charge and we didn't know if we were going to go bankrupt riddled with 200 odd million of debt playing hoof ball up to David N'gog and now think of what we have now ?

Am i saying Rodgers is the right man ? I don't know but you have to give the man a chance to build his squad,bring in his type of players, build a squad that doesn't rely on playing a left back as a winger and a 17 year old week in week out.
      Well said Mici.
      Was loathed to come on here after a defeat (20 pages already)I've got Larengitis atm,which gives me an excuse.Where on earth was our support (vocally?).Sat next to the Villa contingent, was F***** embarrassing tbh.Before and after they started scoring.
      Times like now are when "support" is needed.We are told (and rightly )that it could take 2-3 years to be back where we belong under new management.So please can someone/anyone explain why should BR "be sacked".12-12-12 the world was supposed to end,it f***** did'nt people!Lets calm down and be a bit more patient aye? :f_steam: ???
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #600: Dec 16, 2012 01:54:04 am
      Well said Mici.
      Was loathed to come on here after a defeat (20 pages already)I've got Larengitis atm,which gives me an excuse.Where on earth was our support (vocally?).Sat next to the Villa contingent, was F***** embarrassing tbh.Before and after they started scoring.
      Times like now are when "support" is needed.We are told (and rightly )that it could take 2-3 years to be back where we belong under new management.So please can someone/anyone explain why should BR "be sacked".12-12-12 the world was supposed to end,it f***** did'nt people!Lets calm down and be a bit more patient aye? :f_steam: ???
        Actually it's supposed to end the 21st :couch:
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #601: Dec 16, 2012 02:30:39 am
      As a supporter I want to see us with 60% of the possession, however this is now our achilles heel.  As soon as we got the ball it was like basketball and Villa had everyone back, and we didn't have the nous to create much.  Visiting managers have worked this out now and due to our wastefulness seem happy to sit quite deep and hit us on the break.

The only time I remember us really breaking forward with speed was when Suarez played the ball in just behind Gerrard earlyish in the first half.  The rest of the time we were far too pedestrian and predictable - work the ball across the pitch, get wide and put in a cross, of which a few were fairly good crosses.  But nobody was attacking the ball into the box - the striker that we all know we need. 

The commentator was probably correct when he said that Agger's skewed attempt late on was the first time he could think that a defender hadn't met the ball first (from open play).  If this is how we want to play, and I have no problem with it in theory with the number of balls into the box, then surely we need a striker who will throw himself at the ball, cause trouble for defenders, and make a nuisance of himself - someone like an Andy Carroll say.

In terms of substitutions, I am not sure why Suso was not introduced as when I saw the bench, he seemed the most likely to make a difference (he surely is a better option than Cole).  And until he scored I don't really know what Gerrard did in the second half, and I had almost forgotten he was playing.

A the other end you cannot account for individual error - Reina probably should have done better for the first and Cole losing the ball for the third.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #602: Dec 16, 2012 03:09:12 am
      The Stats that failed dismally

Possession: Liverpool 72% Villa 28%

Goal Attempt: Liverpool 29 Villa 11

Shot On Target: Liverpool 8 Villa 6

Blocked Shots: Liverpool 11 Villa 0

Penalties Area Entries: Liverpool 38 Villa 10

Passes: Liverpool 564 Villa 211

Accurate Passes: Liverpool 496 Villa 146

Long Balls: Liverpool 65 Villa 43

Chipped Passes: Liverpool 29 Villa 22

Crosses: Liverpool 43 Villa 4

Corners: Liverpool 7 Villa 2

Saves From Outside Box: Liverpool 2 Villa 2

Saves From Inside Box: Liverpool 1 Villa 5

Tackles: Liverpool 11 Villa 25

Fouls: Liverpool 5 Villa 10

Duels won: Liverpool 35 Villa 49

Offsides: Liverpool 3 Villa 0

Yellow Cards: Liverpool 1 Villa 3

I guess good possession don't always count. At least a point for effort?

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #603: Dec 16, 2012 07:07:36 am

C

That's the sad thing we didn't even get a point for all oue possession.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #604: Dec 16, 2012 07:49:12 am

That's the sad thing we didn't even get a point for all oue possession.

You have to score goals and defend well.

The rest will not give you point.  :f_steam:
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #605: Dec 16, 2012 08:31:20 am
      The Stats that failed dismally

Possession: Liverpool 72% Villa 28%

Goal Attempt: Liverpool 29 Villa 11

Shot On Target: Liverpool 8 Villa 6

Blocked Shots: Liverpool 11 Villa 0

Penalties Area Entries: Liverpool 38 Villa 10

Passes: Liverpool 564 Villa 211

Accurate Passes: Liverpool 496 Villa 146

Long Balls: Liverpool 65 Villa 43

Chipped Passes: Liverpool 29 Villa 22

Crosses: Liverpool 43 Villa 4

Corners: Liverpool 7 Villa 2

Saves From Outside Box: Liverpool 2 Villa 2

Saves From Inside Box: Liverpool 1 Villa 5

Tackles: Liverpool 11 Villa 25

Fouls: Liverpool 5 Villa 10

Duels won: Liverpool 35 Villa 49

Offsides: Liverpool 3 Villa 0

Yellow Cards: Liverpool 1 Villa 3

Agree  to a certain point because the MOST important stat is missing there>>
        Goals scored:  liverpool 1   Villa 3

I think our concentration in midfield and defence for thier counter attacks

lets hope  we regain our confidence in the coming weeks

YNWA
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #606: Dec 16, 2012 09:25:52 am
      I just never saw people talking like that about Kenny (even though we had our share of abject defeast last season as well)

To be fair mate there was a few who discussed Kenny's tactics and selection but normal debate usually ended with people suggesting that you shouldn't dare criticise Kenny's managerial performances because of what he has done for the club. I actually found us to either be all out attack or all out defend, no inbetween of which seen us fail to see games out, thus inviting pressure because we sat so deep.

At least that was two dimensional though, at the moment we look very, very one dimensional with the system being used not suited to the majority of the players. When a team has a decent game plan and decides to press high we seem to be berift of ideas. Even whilst we are passing the ball nice, we are still berift of ideas.

I'm all for the glass being half full instead of half empty but does anybody really think anybody associated with Aston Villa gives a sh*t about possesion and passing statistics this morning?

Yes we done alright for half an hour but for an hour we were god awful and thats where the game was lost - nothing that contributed to the result happened in the half hour of which we dominated.

But its okay the system is going to fall right into place as we are looking likely to be in for Ince and Sturridge in January if reports are true. The none gamble, proven, star attractions that we were all banking on coming in to address our lack of killer instinct in front of goal?

I expect less of a gamble to be honest considering the position that we are in.

The Gaffer needs to earn his bread and I'd say that to any manager that has us in 12th place after 17 games that has seen us only win 5 times.

Must do better.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #607: Dec 16, 2012 09:35:36 am
      Looking back I still cant beleive we didnt win..!

However - it does bode a few serious questions. How does Carroll not fit into a side that put in 43 crosses (over 90 mins that's almost one every 2 mins!)... With another 7 corners that we had that's 50 times the ball was 'crossed' into the box. Now I know all were not in the air - but still. That would have given Andy 50 opportunities to attack the ball, something that we have missed a hell of a lot - someone in the box attacking the ball.

Now lets say Andy is crap (which i do not agree with) yesterday he would have had 50 chances to go after the ball - again an opportunity almost every 110 seconds for the whole 90 mins. Even if he scored 10% of the time we would have had a sh*t load..! I understand that football isent played like this - and that there may well have been 4 crosses in 40 seconds then none for a few mins - but the point is that yesterday would have suited him.

Also - we are not the best at holding the ball up, or indeed playing the long ball - but we played a whopping 65. That was more than Villa did yesterday - so yes, we do change up the passing style when needed. Again - an area that Andy excells in, but still there is no room for him. Seriosuly, I dont get it - can someone please explain to me why he is not getting recalled and why we dont want him!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #608: Dec 16, 2012 09:47:51 am
      I just never saw people talking like that about Kenny (even though we had our share of abject defeast last season as well)

If only we could wind back time; eh Diego? The thing is; looking to start a row debate about what posters didn't do last season is, sort, of pointless. 

However I'll try to help you understand; Kenny Dalglish is a legend for many, many, reasons, both on and off the field. Most people not only recognise this but also have an additional affection, loyalty and respect for Kenny that they don't have for others.

In turn that affection, respect and loyalty meant he was (rightfully in my opinion) cut more slack. You may not understand this, you may not agree and you may take exception with it but that's the facts Diego and (by now) you should have learned to accept  it.

Back to the game - I only got seeing the first half but was left thinking "what the F**k just happened there?" We battered the sh*te clean out of them and were mugged; not out-played; not out-thought; not out-fought... mugged.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #609: Dec 16, 2012 09:58:54 am
      However I'll try to help you understand; Kenny Dalglish is a legend for many, many, reasons, both on and off the field. Most people not only recognise this but also have an additional affection, loyalty and respect for Kenny that they don't have for others.

Of course that's right but it shouldn't exempt him from analysis of tactics in match threads on a forum whether the analysis produced negative or positive feedback. Loved the man before he came back, whilst he was back and still do now but I wasn't immature enough to realise and comment upon mistakes he made whilst here aswell as the great things he done. That's for another thread anyway.

Yesterday, mugged? Not too sure I'm with you on that mate. As I said before we were very dominant in the first half hour but didn't make it pay, Villa were in the game for the other hour and made all the right decisions in the final third, finished better than us and took the three points and it could have been more than 3-1.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #610: Dec 16, 2012 10:00:03 am
      Gutted. Another Sunday Morning avoiding all media contact, the phone and feeling sorry for myself. Hate the fact we are so predictable. The worst thing was the lulling into false sense of security that we had turned a corner at West Ham.....
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #611: Dec 16, 2012 10:08:43 am
      Of course that's right but it shouldn't exempt him from analysis of tactics in match threads on a forum whether the analysis produced negative or positive feedback.
      And it didn't; certainly early on in the season - in fact I know I did just that myself. At the end, when some were openly calling for his head (and some were more sleeket - understanding why FSG could sack him) - yes folk, myself included, did jump to defend but (to me) that's wholly understandable and acceptable. No point opening old wounds so it's maybe best we leave it there.

Yesterday, mugged? Not too sure I'm with you on that mate.
      Like I said wahs; I only got to see the first half and that's how I read it.  :-\
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #612: Dec 16, 2012 10:30:32 am
      Liverpool played like a pub team no motivation like they were in a mental fog especially the defence. When are the players who seem to be living on another planet,play good football on a consistant basis. After all they are getting very good pay and benifits. They are prima donnas and it seems as though the lifestyle outside of football occupies there minds to such an extent. That they are in a mental fog on the pitch.I  saw the lowlights couldnt call them highlights. Aston Villa  were just scoring at random walking right through our defence,if you could even  call it that.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #613: Dec 16, 2012 10:35:02 am
      Thanks we are brothers and share a lot of the same views. Not all though. He has told me all about you so think it's best I avoid you.
      Well as it looks like you've got away with it (Mods full of the Christmas spirit?) maybe it's best you do avoid George (he had you in his back pocket tbh) for a while corbs.

A wee tip that may help; amongst other things, your brother knows how to quote and spell "excellent".  ;)

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #614: Dec 16, 2012 10:57:10 am
      If only we could wind back time; eh Diego? The thing is; looking to start a row debate about what posters didn't do last season is, sort, of pointless. 

In turn that affection, respect and loyalty meant he was (rightfully in my opinion) cut more slack. You may not understand this, you may not agree and you may take exception with it but that's the facts Diego and (by now) you should have learned to accept  it.

Back to the game - I only got seeing the first half but was left thinking "what the F**k just happened there?" We battered the sh*te clean out of them and were mugged; not out-played; not out-thought; not out-fought... mugged.

Been severly depressed after following the game on the forum and had a complete media/communication blackout consequently, how many F***ing times has the above applied to our Prem performances??
      The answer is simple.....too F***ing many.
      FSG have boxed themselves in with the inexplicable dismissal of Kenny Dalglish and the blemish on his character and reputation.
      They have apparently set a standard of perceived success which would involve measures to rectify any failing and inability to attain said standard, presumably Kenny's record would be a yardstick to invoke such measures.
      Since Brendan Rodgers tenureship is in the cold light of day, directly comparable to Kenny's why is there no manic rush to address the situation?
      FSG therefore must be seen to be giving Brendan the grace of an extended period in which to remedy the problem, a commodity not available to Kenny Dalglish.
      Another commodity not available to Kenny Dalglish was the financial backing to achieve success.
      FSG are somewhat reticent about providing the second  item. 
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #615: Dec 16, 2012 11:17:30 am
      Been severly depressed after following the game on the forum and had a complete media/communication blackout consequently, how many F***ing times has the above applied to our Prem performances??
      The answer is simple.....too F***ing many.
      FSG have boxed themselves in with the inexplicable dismissal of Kenny Dalglish and the blemish on his character and reputation.
      They have apparently set a standard of perceived success which would involve measures to rectify any failing and inability to attain said standard, presumably Kenny's record would be a yardstick to invoke such measures.
      Since Brendan Rodgers tenureship is in the cold light of day, directly comparable to Kenny's why is there no manic rush to address the situation?
      FSG therefore must be seen to be giving Brendan the grace of an extended period in which to remedy the problem, a commodity not available to Kenny Dalglish.
      Another commodity not available to Kenny Dalglish was the financial backing to achieve success.
      FSG are somewhat reticent about providing the second  item. 

Some good points - but I just cant agree with Kenny not being backed... He spent a shitload in Jan, and this is one of the key reasons he was dismissed.

Henderson, Downing, Coates, Enrigue, Adam, Carroll, Suarez all signed for the club under his tenure. Thats over £115 Million on players - 2 strikers, 3 midfielders, 2 defenders. Add on top of that the players we had such as Bellers, Gerrard, Agger, Skrtle, Pepe, Johnson, Mirelez, Kuyt, Rodriguez, Carra, Lucas and others we had a very strong starting 11 and team. Much better than we have now in my opinion - and I would gladly be back there than where we are now...

Brendan, has had nothing compaired to this - and it shows in the position and performance. Simple
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #616: Dec 16, 2012 11:41:24 am
      Only watched the highlights on motd and won't be making the effort to catch the whole game. Had the offer of a ticket for this one but couldn't go due to other commitments so it was probably just as well although me mate bumped into Aldo in a bozzer before the match and posted up a photo so i missed out on that :-(

Not sure what to say about the game, feels like 1 step forwards 2 steps back. It's a bit embarrassing given the optimism that was flying about before the game.

fingers crossed the club does it's transfer business early in the window.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,986 posts | 3061 
      Reply #617: Dec 16, 2012 12:14:44 pm
      Some good points - but I just cant agree with Kenny not being backed... He spent a shitload in Jan, and this is one of the key reasons he was dismissed.

Henderson, Downing, Coates, Enrigue, Adam, Carroll, Suarez all signed for the club under his tenure. Thats over £115 Million on players - 2 strikers, 3 midfielders, 2 defenders. Add on top of that the players we had such as Bellers, Gerrard, Agger, Skrtle, Pepe, Johnson, Mirelez, Kuyt, Rodriguez, Carra, Lucas and others we had a very strong starting 11 and team. Much better than we have now in my opinion - and I would gladly be back there than where we are now...

Brendan, has had nothing compaired to this - and it shows in the position and performance. Simple

The frustrating bit for me is I don't see the great progress that some are proclaiming and I just don't buy that yesterday was unlucky - for me we were comprehensively outplayed in the areas that matter most "attacking and defending".

Some of the best performers from early part of the season - Joe Allen and Raheem Sterling are way off the boil and need resting. Stevie isn't, well Stevie and Lucas isn't anywhere near his best.

Any other comments I'll save for other threads - but we need honesty, not a new manager.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #618: Dec 16, 2012 12:30:55 pm
      Not seen the game, don't want to see the game, I hate watching us lose.

Read through the post match comments and it reads like so many of our games over the last few seasons. 

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #619: Dec 16, 2012 12:39:00 pm

The main thrust of my comment was the owners seem unwilling to address our league standing etc under BR when they took such unprecedented and forthright steps with Kenny but let's not forget Comolli who as 50% of the managerial team was in situ to ''monitor'' any transactions at the behest of FSG before condemning KD.
      Could it be they accept the current status of LFC as a reflection of the manager's enforced aspirational modesty?
      Such modesty does have financial connotations of course beneficial to any interested parties wishing to keep their hands in their pockets.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #620: Dec 16, 2012 12:42:57 pm
      For me Rodgers has to take the blame for the defeat.
      No, I think the blame lies squarely and firmly on the shoulders of two central defenders and one or two midfielers who went missing. And I'm talking basics here, nothing clever or complicated, just players switching off.

Been saying all season long, how we've not got the players to pla the way that he wants and that we've been vulnerable to the counter attack because of it.
      These are professional footballers, and I don't buy for a second that they don't know how to cope with the standard 'counter attack'. A tactic that's been employed by teams all over the world for decades. Against Villa, we could not defend - period.

Its either his stubborness or his naievety that is costing us in terms of points on the board.
      Or too many players playing in key positions not pulling their weight, and failing to do the most basic of things, like tracking back and having a go at tackling.

When you only have one recognised striker and you are not scoring a lot of goals, you have to set up to make sure that you are strong at the back as that gives you the platform to build on.
      But we are strong enough at the back, and we are more than equipped to deal with the way Villa came at us yesterday - what cost us was seasoned professionals letting themselves and everyone else down.

Yes its nice playing pretty football but if there's no end product with it, its a pointless exercise I'm afraid.
      But it's a fantastic philosophy and foundation to build your club's dynasty on. The more we keep at it, the more second nature it will become, and the benefits will start to bear fruit. Like the gaffer said, we must believe in what we are trying to do here. 

Give me 38 backs to the wall, defending like dogs of war 1-0 wins over a mid table finish playing as we are.
      If we'd have cut out the nonsense at the back, we win that game 1-0 and everyone's happy. Thing is, we've never needed a 'backs to the wall' style of play, because our way of playing doesn't invite that sort of pressure on our defence anymore. We dominate other teams. When's the last time you saw us defending for our lives under the gaffer, with our backs against the wall, the way we did against AC Milan in Istanbul? Say what you like about how we play, but I've never seen us once being put to the sword. Maybe against Arsenal at home, but even that wasn't a torrent of goal mouth attacks, they just played us off the park. So as I said, yesterday was down to school boy errors and nothing to do with how we play as a team.

Ultimately I wouldn't like to see us become that kind of team long term but for a short term fix up to the transfer I'd have took it as its a needs must situation.
      I say no need to change/panic and stick to our guns.

Been saying it for a while and I'll say it again, back to the drawing board Brendan.
      Disagree for the reasons given above.

Quick Reply