Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4292331 times
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #32108: Aug 21, 2017 07:45:30 am
      Thank you Harry.

It's amazing how people can nuance their way into thinking that keeping Phil is somehow a successful window.
      but at the same time, with all of the tv money, every prem team is cash rich and in a position not to sell.  Makes things a lot more difficult.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #32109: Aug 21, 2017 07:55:30 am
      I've defended the owners and our transfer policy plenty over the last few years, bit this window has been a F***ing disaster so far.  We've got sh*t loads of money, a world class manager, and we are back in the CL.  There are less than 2 weeks to go -- anything short of keeping Coutinho and getting 2 more top quality signings will be a F***ing embarrassment....

I think the 'back in the CL' bit is important because we're not really (not yet). I'm hoping that once we put Hoffenheim away we can get in those players we need. If we don't you're right this would be an absolute disaster.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #32110: Aug 21, 2017 08:48:11 am
      I think the 'back in the CL' bit is important because we're not really (not yet). I'm hoping that once we put Hoffenheim away we can get in those players we need. If we don't you're right this would be an absolute disaster.

Mag's, irrespective of CL football this club needs an injection of quality. Take away CL football for a moment. We finished fourth last year and got nowhere in the cups. That in itself tells you, that to make gains on fourth - to have a go and actually challenge for the title, for the third time this millennium additions were much needed. Completely irrespective of Champions League football.

Now, Champions League is added into the equation, but now not quite until we see off the Hoff. It seems, that there is sand shifting beneath the feet and the goal posts picked up and moved a quarter of a mile down the beach. The goal posts are always moving, first it was May, then June, then July, then it's we've now got to wait to see if we can get through the knock out stage now. It's bollocks fella, what will it be next, wait until the January transfer window ad nauseam.

If there aren't people moving the goal posts, then there's another bunch who are trying to kid themselves that this window is "satisfactory" and "OK". I just cannot see any of this from either lens, no matter who says it. Klopp himself which is the most alarming and worrying thing of all, about his squad being good enough and finding it hard to get better replacements. Or the minions (and if fairness there aren't that many), that follow his lead through blind faith because they think they have to, to uphold the Klopp-tastic-ness of it all.
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2017 09:01:02 am by Beerbelly »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #32111: Aug 21, 2017 09:09:42 am
      It simply doesn't wash. Most know this, only the deluded would happy clap this propaganda otherwise.

If only it were delusions mate. Sadly it's not: it's a case of pride/weakness.  :-[

People too wrapped up in their own importance that they just can not bring themselves to admit that maybe they got it wrong. Wrong when they nailed their colours to the 'Investors' mast. Any debate thereafter centres on protecting themselves; the subject is immaterial. What is happening or may happen, to the team, after this window is secondary; they'll blame someone or something else, anything or anybody other than the Investors but...

NOT because they are delusional and actually believe what they say. No it's because they do not want to lose face. A fear of losing face in front of strangers is way worse than being delusional, it's weakness. It's only an opinion for F**k's sake.

For what it's worth: I too believe that we will sign a couple of quality players before September and although I want to be 'right', I will not shirk from telling you I was wrong if I am.

So anyhow... we can't still be clinging on [without alternatives] to the hope that VvD and Keita will come; can we?  :-\
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #32112: Aug 21, 2017 10:03:38 am
      Even if/when we do bring in new players though, surely it would have made more sense to bring them in for the pre season wouldn't it? I'm not just talking about VVD who it'll probs take a month to get fit after we've signed him, but I'm talking about getting to know the group and the way we play.

Whatever happened to Jurgens much talked about ability to improve players on the training ground? Even he can't do it if he hasn't got them at the club. What about that ingenious training exercise where you called out someone's name you were going to pass to before you got the ball yourself (or whatever it was, how we rubbed our hands with glee and anticipation), aren't we bothered with that sort of stuff anymore?

Our biggest rivals (the mancs) have once again shown the way to go. While our new signings are booking in a photo shoot with the scarf held aloft, their new midfielder has turned in two MOM performances (who said top players aren't available/affordable or that transfers take months?) and their new striker has three league goals from open play in two matches.

I'm all for having hope in my heart and all that jazz, but that hope couldn't help being bigger and stronger if we actually gave the manager the tools to compete. He's got a beard but he ain't Jesus.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,251 posts | 1227 
      Reply #32113: Aug 21, 2017 10:57:56 am

He's got a beard but he ain't Jesus.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #32114: Aug 21, 2017 11:14:43 am

Instead of turning water into wine he's polishing...
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #32115: Aug 21, 2017 11:16:45 am

I'm all for having hope in my heart and all that jazz, but that hope couldn't help being bigger and stronger if we actually gave the manager the tools to compete. He's got a beard but he ain't Jesus.

Ain't that the truth Mick.

I've put a lot of store in him being able to work the owners slightly differently simply by backing himself and coaching team to improve players and refusing to accept 2nd best......

Naively I honestly felt he'd a war-chest after last season but the reality is - other than his self confidence and refusal to take someone he doesn't want nowt has or will change under this mob.

As ever I'll reserve judgement till window has closed but I sense a real turning tide / sliding doors moment for FSG and JĆ¼rgen.
      Conman
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts | 13 
      Reply #32116: Aug 21, 2017 11:40:21 am
      What worries me about Klopp is in his later years at Dortmund alot of their fans thought he was losing the plot and his final transfer window he had a absolute stinker.
      Alot of Klopps praise comes from the early days when he was finding little treasures like Reus and Lewandowski.

Has he lost touch in the modern game, or has he just become too stubborn to change?

I think if we got Keita and VVD we would be title contenders.. but to not have alternatives in the thousands of players playing in all the league's all over the world is outright crazy. I've got my fingers crossed things change if we get a result weds ... otherwise I've lost all Faith in the direction the club's going.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #32117: Aug 21, 2017 12:35:24 pm

Do you think in early July when Klopp said we all need to be patient regarding incomings: ā€œSometimes you need to be patient and thatā€™s what we are in the moment ā€“ to wait for the right moment and then we will see what happens,ā€ said the German.
      he was talking about after the CL qualifiers?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-klopp-dijk-keita-13288959

Because we bid twice for Keita after that.

If that is the plan, that leaves a very short amount of time to make the purchases. I realize they may have lined some things up, but the way the whole market has gone this summer, points to a lot of late business being done at the last, and that raises the possibilities for snap decisions and moves that later bring regret.

Maybe there is a secret plan somewhere, and I certainly think we need some quality adds, but to me, the signs point to this being our team for the season.

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #32118: Aug 21, 2017 12:47:38 pm
      If these team for season no more players come in and Phil when his heart not in club anymore l think we fhish 6 in league
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #32119: Aug 21, 2017 12:49:47 pm
      We all wanted more but a quality left back and winger are good signings and is an OK window.
      BTW we will get a cb and a midfielder as well so will it then be sure great window?
      My view is the 3 signings, in isolation, are all decent/good additions.  Only the most optimistic among us would say that that is a good window.

Out of isolation, 3 three signings have not addressed the key positions most fans believe we have weaknesses in. i.e. down the middle, from front to back.

Ally that to the fact that we've failed (WAY too publicly) with our 2 biggest/most needed transfer targets, further compounded by the Coutinho debacle (again WAY too public), and the most pessimistic of us would say it's been a catastrophic window, thus far.

If we keep Cout and mange to sign VVD, I would say it's been a good window and pleasing to see some backing from FSG.

Lose Cout & sign VVD, I'd say poor window and no backing from FSG.

Lose Cout & sign no-one else = season over before it's started and huge murmurings of discontent around the fields of Anfield Road.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32120: Aug 21, 2017 01:25:26 pm
      My view is the 3 signings, in isolation, are all decent/good additions.  Only the most optimistic among us would say that that is a good window.

Out of isolation, 3 three signings have not addressed the key positions most fans believe we have weaknesses in. i.e. down the middle, from front to back.

Ally that to the fact that we've failed (WAY too publicly) with our 2 biggest/most needed transfer targets, further compounded by the Coutinho debacle (again WAY too public), and the most pessimistic of us would say it's been a catastrophic window, thus far.

If we keep Cout and mange to sign VVD, I would say it's been a good window and pleasing to see some backing from FSG.

Lose Cout & sign VVD, I'd say poor window and no backing from FSG.

Lose Cout & sign no-one else = season over before it's started and huge murmurings of discontent around the fields of Anfield Road.

Sorry but I disagree about not adressing the key weaknesses, or were you happy with Milner playing at LB last season with Moreno as back up?
      Plus we have been crying out for genuine width for ages now, Salah is a winger isn't he?
      Solanke will also turn out to be a very good purchase for us and gives us a young hungry built like a brick privy striker as an option.

I said its been an OK window up to now, not good, and if there are no more signings then I will stick with that but I think there will be more signings, I predict VVD and Keita/Draxler and that in my eyes will make it a very good window and will give us a very strong team AND squad.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #32121: Aug 21, 2017 01:34:35 pm
      I'm still fairly chilled, maybe because I feel we'll still add to the squad.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #32122: Aug 21, 2017 01:42:54 pm
      Sorry but I disagree about not adressing the key weaknesses, or were you happy with Milner playing at LB last season with Moreno as back up?
      Plus we have been crying out for genuine width for ages now, Salah is a winger isn't he?
      Solanke will also turn out to be a very good purchase for us and gives us a young hungry built like a brick privy striker as an option.

I said its been an OK window up to now, not good, and if there are no more signings then I will stick with that but I think there will be more signings, I predict VVD and Keita/Draxler and that in my eyes will make it a very good window and will give us a very strong team AND squad.
      Whilst we needed a LB, I actually felt Milner did a decent job last season, and there was more concern for me over the CB, CM, Striker & maybe GK positions. 
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,303 posts | 240 
      Reply #32123: Aug 21, 2017 02:07:07 pm
      One player who certainly wonā€™t be Anfield bound is Julian Draxler.

Paris Saint-Germain are open to offers for the Germany international following their world record Ā£200million swoop for Neymar and Liverpool have been linked with a move for him.

Klopp was interested in the left-sided attacker last season and held talks with him, but Draxler turned down the Reds when he left Wolfsburg and signed for PSG instead in January.

Liverpool have no intention of going back in for him as that isnā€™t an area of the squad Klopp is looking to strengthen.

With summer signings Mohamed Salah and Dominic Solanke on board, Klopp is happy with the options heā€™s got in terms of his front three.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Just one key injury to Mane or Salah and we are finish...We are gambling again like this winter.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32124: Aug 21, 2017 02:36:18 pm
      Whilst we needed a LB, I actually felt Milner did a decent job last season, and there was more concern for me over the CB, CM, Striker & maybe GK positions. 

We'll have to agree to disagree then  as I thought the LB position was probably the most important position to fix this summer. I think we will see huge benefits when Robertson is fully up to speed, he already looks a good way there, in better defence but also crucially another angle of attack.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32125: Aug 21, 2017 02:37:46 pm
      :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just one key injury to Mane or Salah and we are finish...We are gambling again like this winter.

Bollocks, were we finished last season when we only had Mane? We'll adapt to either one being out, we will be weakened of course but we have able deputies like for example Origi or Solanke or even Kent
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #32126: Aug 21, 2017 02:41:40 pm
      Bollocks, were we finished last season when we only had Mane? We'll adapt to either one being out, we will be weakened of course but we have able deputies like for example Origi or Solanke or even Kent

Why do you constantly try to make excuses for us not strengthening? You go out of your way to try and tell people they have no right to be concerned about  the depth or quality of this squad. Any idiot can look at our squad from last year to this and see that an injury or two and we are in big trouble.

Yea we finished 4th last year and we had to go on a pretty incredible run to pull that off. And that was with ONE significant injury. Hoping for an injury free season isn't a tactic or plan...it's madness. We have 4 competitions to focus on and even if we downgrade FA and league Cup campaign's...we still may not have the depth to be able to handle CL and League contention. The only one talking Bollocks in here is YOU.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,303 posts | 240 
      Reply #32127: Aug 21, 2017 02:47:42 pm

Sorry my aim is PL title...Top 4 is good, but we are not Arsenal.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #32128: Aug 21, 2017 03:07:47 pm
      Why do you constantly try to make excuses for us not strengthening? You go out of your way to try and tell people they have no right to be concerned about  the depth or quality of this squad. Any idiot can look at our squad from last year to this and see that an injury or two and we are in big trouble.

Yea we finished 4th last year and we had to go on a pretty incredible run to pull that off. And that was with ONE significant injury. Hoping for an injury free season isn't a tactic or plan...it's madness. We have 4 competitions to focus on and even if we downgrade FA and league Cup campaign's...we still may not have the depth to be able to handle CL and League contention. The only one talking Bollocks in here is YOU.

I would imagine after we qualify for CL on Wednesday we should see some activity on Thursday.
      If not we are screwed!

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #32129: Aug 21, 2017 03:21:19 pm
      I would imagine after we qualify for CL on Wednesday we should see some activity on Thursday.
      If not we are screwed!

Don't you think that's leaving things a little bit late considering how slow we are to make deals?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32130: Aug 21, 2017 03:33:27 pm

Sorry but when have I ever said that I don't want to strengthen FURTHER, in fact I say that i expect us to strengthen further despite having owners who according to you are hellbent on destroying the club and losing their investment ;-).
      My point is that we have strengthened already but you doom mongers refuse to believe it.

Quick Reply