Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4288507 times
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #15962: Aug 05, 2014 12:30:37 am
      So no Balotellli....

Just trying to brainstorm, who would be some other strikers that conceivably would be available this summer without FSG having to break the bank?

ideas anyone?

Eto'o.

No point buying a 20 million pound striker to sit on the bench when we have Sterling Sturridge Origi lined up for next season. An experienced pro who can step in whilst Sturridge is injured this season is what we need.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15963: Aug 05, 2014 12:33:18 am
      Eto'o.

No point buying a 20 million pound striker to sit on the bench when we have Sterling Sturridge Origi lined up for next season. An experienced pro who can step in whilst Sturridge is injured this season is what we need.

The f**ker wants £120k per week. No thank you!
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #15964: Aug 05, 2014 12:43:53 am
      The f**ker wants £120k per week. No thank you!

Would rather pay him 120k than Glen or Pepe - plus what's the difference with paying someone 60k a week but spending 10 million to sign him?

But fair enough - if not eto'o then someone in the same category. We just need someone to step in and do a job in this position rather than investing in someone for the future. By next season the importance of the position decreases by a significant margin.

Plus the advantage is, like Toure, even if he isn't playing he is a serial winner and can be effective installing the right mentality in the dressing room.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15965: Aug 05, 2014 12:47:43 am
      Eto'o.

Sterling isn't a striker so he's irrelevant in this situation. A trio of Sturridge, Lambert and Origi isn't good enough, nowhere near in fact. If Sturridge gets injured then we would be currently relying on Lambert or Borini. We need another star striker.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #15966: Aug 05, 2014 12:49:25 am
      Sterling isn't a striker so he's irrelevant in this situation. A trio of Sturridge, Lambert and Origi isn't good enough, nowhere near in fact. If Sturridge gets injured then we would be currently relying on Lambert or Borini. We need another star striker.

Eh? I know - that's why I just suggested Eto'o  ???
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #15967: Aug 05, 2014 12:50:14 am
      Would rather pay him 120k than Glen or Pepe - plus what's the difference with paying someone 60k a week but spending 10 million to sign him?

But fair enough - if not eto'o then someone in the same category. We just need someone to step in and do a job in this position rather than investing in someone for the future. By next season the importance of the position decreases by a significant margin.

Plus the advantage is, like Toure, even if he isn't playing he is a serial winner and can be effective installing the right mentality in the dressing room.

I get your point but as a matter of principle I refuse to want him for those wages. Rather invest that money in someone long term.

He was average for Chelsea and still demands that money. F**k off Samuel!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #15968: Aug 05, 2014 12:51:24 am
      Rather invest that money in someone long term.

Yep and the money is there to buy such a player.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #15969: Aug 05, 2014 12:51:45 am
      I get your point but as a matter of principle I refuse to want him for those wages. Rather invest that money in someone long term.

He was average for Chelsea and still demands that money. F**k off Samuel!

I just wish Di Natale was still an option - would have been the perfect fit for us  >:(

Investing in someone "long term" means giving them game time to develop so who would we be consistently dropping over the next couple of years (at least) to do that?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #15970: Aug 05, 2014 12:52:26 am
      I just wish Di Natale was still an option - would have been the perfect fit for us  >:(

Class player.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #15971: Aug 05, 2014 12:52:51 am

Please don't mention him. It hurts me that he has retired. I adored him and Sanchez at Udinese, I was actually a fan of the team.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #15972: Aug 05, 2014 12:57:11 am
      Please don't mention him. It hurts me that he has retired. I adored him and Sanchez at Udinese, I was actually a fan of the team.

Let me make it worse for you:

Di Natale: "In my career, the most gracious fans I played in front of are Liverpool's. Will never forget them applauding me off."

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #15973: Aug 05, 2014 01:54:35 am
      Haha even I clapped his goal against us. He's a legend.

Just read we are about to offer Hendo a big deal and Pepe is buying out his contract after Brendan vowed to never play him again.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #15974: Aug 05, 2014 04:27:46 am
      Pepe is buying out his contract after Brendan vowed to never play him again.

that whole business is so petty....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #15975: Aug 05, 2014 04:36:20 am
      Providing it's true.

Apparently moves for him to La Liga and Serie A have fallen through if you believe other rumours. If that were the case it's odd it has come down to this. You would imagine for Pepe to leave and find another club he would have to reduce his wage demands anyway so why not just do that now.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #15976: Aug 05, 2014 05:31:30 am
      Just to throw a name we were linked with in the past and is a known Liverpool fan for the striker/wide forward position:

Theo Walcott!?!
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #15977: Aug 05, 2014 05:35:35 am

I was gonna throw in that name after Mr.Federer asked for striker options out in the market. But he genuinely seemed excited on Sanchez's arrival.

The feeling with my fellow Gooner fans is that they have significantly strengthened this summer, Carvalho also expected to come in and we have lost our star man. They feel they can push all the way
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #15978: Aug 05, 2014 06:14:25 am
      Personally I think that Remy's medical failure really fcked us up a bit.

I think Remy was plan "A" and probably plan "B"

I think the idea was Lovren,Remy, Moreno and Manquillo and save some cash to see where we were in January.

Now with Remy off table what are the "Real" options not pie in the sky "world class" forwards that are actually available?

Bony-Top fee, top wages, not really the type of striker I think BR is looking for.
      Rodriguez- Another Southampton player?
      Balotelli- Probably the most gifted of the bunch, Boss already said no.
      Lavezzi- Older, has experience.

Going to be real interesting to see what is in store the next 3 weeks but there is little doubt we need to do something and there are honestly not that many choices.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #15979: Aug 05, 2014 06:43:25 am
      Just to throw a name we were linked with in the past and is a known Liverpool fan

Theo Walcott!?!

be still, my beating heart.

Cracking player.  The thought of him and Sterling and Coutinho all in the same attack... mouthwatering.

Weren't we allegedly after him in January of 2013? 

Would have him here in a heartbeat.

won't happen in a million years, mind.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #15980: Aug 05, 2014 07:06:15 am

be still, my beating heart.

Cracking player.  The thought of him and Sterling and Coutinho all in the same attack... mouthwatering.

Weren't we allegedly after him in January of 2013? 

Would have him here in a heartbeat.

won't happen in a million years, mind.

Good player.... always injured.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #15981: Aug 05, 2014 08:09:54 am
      I was gonna throw in that name after Mr.Federer asked for striker options out in the market. But he genuinely seemed excited on Sanchez's arrival.

The feeling with my fellow Gooner fans is that they have significantly strengthened this summer, Carvalho also expected to come in and we have lost our star man. They feel they can push all the way

Wait - it's August right? If you haven't noticed that's what they think every year at this time when they buy another attacking midfielder.

They will be even more confident when they top of the table around January and they will be moaning about the same problems by the time May comes around.

Still have a dodgy keeper, no depth in defence or in the striking position. More importantly they still have Wenger as the manager and teams know how theyare going to play against them - maybe they ant do anything about it 60% of the time but they need to not do anything about it 80% of the time if they are to win enough games to beat Mourinho, Pellegrini or (maybe) us!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #15982: Aug 05, 2014 08:33:45 am
      they still have a dodgy keeper, no depth in defence or in the striking position.

so basically, they're like us.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #15983: Aug 05, 2014 08:43:28 am
      I'm getting very worried that we are not being strongly linked with any out and out strikers.

I think we will pay the price if we don't get another striker before the window shuts.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #15984: Aug 05, 2014 08:44:53 am
      I'm getting very worried that we are not being strongly linked with any out and out strikers.

I think we will pay the price if we don't get another striker before the window shuts.

Well, BR himself has said it is "crucial" to add another striker. I'm sure we'll get one this summer and based on our performances, we might consider one more in the Jan window

Quick Reply