Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 31st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4280782 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #40779: Aug 08, 2019 03:23:01 pm
      What about if your concern is cover injury or lost of form during the Premiership season?

Then I would point to last season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40780: Aug 08, 2019 03:32:31 pm

When were our forwards injured for any length of time, ie weeks on end? That is where we lack depth, in defence and attack we have very good cover.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,626 posts | 2160 
      Reply #40781: Aug 08, 2019 03:33:26 pm
      Never said anybody didn't want to win anything.  The question of buying this window has been applied directly to domestic cups and City winning the treble.

We have a team, with depth included,  to contend for the Premier League and the Champions League. We already know that

Free speech includes the right to complain. Whether said complaint is valid will be a perpetual cause of debate. You also have the right to call my question stupid, although I'm not aware of any problem we have had on here. I know I've repped you over the years

No insult intended with the ‘stupid’ comment dude! It’s all good, I just meant of course we’d all be happy with a title win and you’d happily trade that in for failure in all the other comps IF you could be sure you were gonna win it that is.

As for the rationale about buying, certainly improved performance in the cups has been mooted as a factor but I think the concern has been more about the increased fixture list (with trips to Istanbul and Qatar) and the fact our squad finished there season three weeks later than the rest of the league and our front three only got back a week or two ago and are quite possibly at risk of burnout if they are not rotated.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #40782: Aug 08, 2019 03:43:25 pm
      I mean I can't say I'm not a little bit worried that if we have an injury crisis that we haven't strengthened enough in depth. I also think if we wanted to add any marquee type players, this is certainly not a bad time to do it with us coming off of winning the CL...but I also see Klopp's perspective...why would he want to upset the apple cart that is his team, a team that should have had the double this past year if it weren't for City's insane form (they won't replicate that again this year).
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #40783: Aug 08, 2019 03:44:40 pm
      Hmm.. if we sold Mane, Salah, and Firmino today and didn't replace them..

Would you be happy if we won the league this season?   :roll:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40784: Aug 08, 2019 03:54:34 pm
      I mean I can't say I'm not a little bit worried that if we have an injury crisis that we haven't strengthened enough in depth. I also think if we wanted to add any marquee type players, this is certainly not a bad time to do it with us coming off of winning the CL...but I also see Klopp's perspective...why would he want to upset the apple cart that is his team, a team that should have had the double this past year if it weren't for City's insane form (they won't replicate that again this year).

and yet Guardiola has no problem ever with adding to his team. In my opinion top players don't get nervous by new additions, they relish the challenge and appreciate the team getting stronger.
      Our front three know that they can play as sh*t as they want and they still wont ever get dropped, I'm obviously not suggesting they ever would give anything less than 100%, but the lack of competition is not good, it never is. For example look at Henderson and Milner last season who significantly improved their games, I think in large part due to increased competition for places.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40785: Aug 08, 2019 03:55:34 pm
      Hmm.. if we sold Mane, Salah, and Firmino today and didn't replace them..

Would you be happy if we won the league this season?   :roll:

If we sold out only 3 forwards and still won the league and I'd become way more religious! ;-)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #40786: Aug 08, 2019 03:56:45 pm
      When were our forwards injured for any length of time, ie weeks on end? That is where we lack depth, in defence and attack we have very good cover.

Some.of our biggest games we were missing one or more starting forwards. But we've said it all.   Time will tell.
      Scottbot

• 9,626 posts | 2160 
      Reply #40787: Aug 08, 2019 03:57:08 pm

I can deffo see that side as well mate, you can see there is a terrific chemistry in the side in the way the lads celebrate their goals and the way they dug so deep last year. I can fully understand Klopp’s reasoning. But to those who say you have to trust the manager and all of that sort of stuff I also think back 2 seasons when virtually everyone felt we needed a new keeper and getting one could have been the difference between losing and winning the European Cup so I think we’re ok to question a few decisions here and there.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2019 04:04:26 pm by Scottbot »
      Scottbot

• 9,626 posts | 2160 
      Reply #40788: Aug 08, 2019 04:01:43 pm
      and yet Guardiola has no problem ever with adding to his team. In my opinion top players don't get nervous by new additions, they relish the challenge and appreciate the team getting stronger.
      Our front three know that they can play as sh*t as they want and they still wont ever get dropped, I'm obviously not suggesting they ever would give anything less than 100%, but the lack of competition is not good, it never is. For example look at Henderson and Milner last season who significantly improved their games, I think in large part due to increased competition for places.

It’s true he doesn’t, but on the flip side the issues they are having with Sane at the moment come from the fact he has seen his playing time reduced over the course of last season (certainly in the biggest games) so adding big players to an already talented squad can cause headaches BUT I think it is a necessary evil if you are serious about contending in every competition. The best example is the fact they’ve barely missed losing KDB who (on form) is their best player. I’m not sure how we’d deal with Salah being out for the whole season, or VVD, or Mane. All three would be very difficult to cover with our current squad options for a sustained period of time.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #40789: Aug 08, 2019 04:06:31 pm

I would point to our key players having short holidays due to international commitments and heavier fixture list in new season being concerns we didn't have the season before so the risk of burnout causing injury or drop in form can happen. In the back of our heads also we seen us come close only for the following season to be disastrous (Each season following runner up we finish outside the top 4) so not investing into the squad can cause concern for supporters as well.

Klopp has got most things right so i am looking forward to see who within the squad can rise up and be difference maker who could bring us over the line and win the Premiership.
      Scottbot

• 9,626 posts | 2160 
      Reply #40790: Aug 08, 2019 04:21:38 pm
      I would point to our key players having short holidays due to international commitments and heavier fixture list in new season being concerns we didn't have the season before so the risk of burnout causing injury or drop in form can happen. In the back of our heads also we seen us come close only for the following season to be disastrous (Each season following runner up we finish outside the top 4) so not investing into the squad can cause concern for supporters as well.

Klopp has got most things right so i am looking forward to see who within the squad can rise up and be difference maker who could bring us over the line and win the Premiership.

That’s a good point regards our performances in the past during our season after a title challenge. We’ve always fallen to pieces the following year (albeit we did sell off players such as Alonso and Suarez which contributed massively). Bottom line we have never managed two consecutive title challenges in a row since the epl started so the nervousness of fans is quite understandable imho.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #40791: Aug 08, 2019 04:28:56 pm

Is the sky blue?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #40792: Aug 08, 2019 04:29:55 pm
      Spurs have done well this window they will finish 3rd with ease.

Sessegnon is a bargain at £25 million with his potential, Lo Celso and Ndombele good players too.

They have a strong squad now.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #40793: Aug 08, 2019 04:40:36 pm
      Anyone else on here had Everton bid for them?. Seem to after anything with a pulse.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #40794: Aug 08, 2019 05:16:27 pm
      Anyone else on here had Everton bid for them?. Seem to after anything with a pulse.

Had the mancs on the line after Dybala, Erikson and Mandzukic rejected them but didn’t fancy getting in the car with Ole at the wheel
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,626 posts | 761 
      Reply #40795: Aug 08, 2019 05:18:53 pm
      its interesting that Man City have 6 players to cover 3 forward positions. And our fans think it'll be hard for us to have sufficient back ups because 'who will want to play on the bench' wild.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2019 05:46:12 pm by PastorGeek »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #40796: Aug 08, 2019 05:37:08 pm
      I don't think Spurs are looking that good in this market.  They may lose Erikson for nothing if a deal cannot be reached in this window.  I think we should definitely be keeping a beady eye on that situation.  Levy might get desperate in the final minutes.

Sessongog might be good for us.  But can not see it from the players perspective.  For him to come and compete with Robertson it  would be too much of a gamble in my eyes.   Might love the club but would he gamble his career, compete against a world class young player that is fit as a fiddle and can run through brick walls.  May be I am trying to consolidate myself, but a top quality player needs to be a bit crazy to come and compete with Robertson. 

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,626 posts | 761 
      Reply #40797: Aug 08, 2019 05:47:38 pm
      But can not see it from the players perspective.  For him to come and compete with Robertson it  would be too much of a gamble in my eyes.   Might love the club but would he gamble his career, compete against a world class young player that is fit as a fiddle and can run through brick walls.  May be I am trying to consolidate myself, but a top quality player needs to be a bit crazy to come and compete with Robertson.

Why do you think like this?

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40798: Aug 08, 2019 05:48:22 pm
      I don't think Spurs are looking that good in this market.  They may lose Erikson for nothing if a deal cannot be reached in this window.  I think we should definitely be keeping a beady eye on that situation.  Levy might get desperate in the final minutes.

Sessongog might be good for us.  But can not see it from the players perspective.  For him to come and compete with Robertson it  would be too much of a gamble in my eyes.   Might love the club but would he gamble his career, compete against a world class young player that is fit as a fiddle and can run through brick walls.  May be I am trying to consolidate myself, but a top quality player needs to be a bit crazy to come and compete with Robertson. 

And yet all these "crazy" players go to City, imagine someone trying to displace Fernandinho, loco!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40799: Aug 08, 2019 05:57:54 pm
      Despite all the angst, I think this is the strongest first team and squad I've ever seen here.

Just cast your minds back lads, to the backup we had when we challenged for the title before.
      If anyone says we're not stronger now, I'd have to disagree pretty strongly.

The issue, is that we are competing with a club that is so financially doped, it's ridiculous, and yet we're pushing them harder than anyone.

The biggest thing for me, is beating what amounts to a club that cheats.
      A club that is so overrun with money and glory hunters, they are in danger of losing their soul.

Do I think we could be a bit stronger regarding depth?
      Of course.

Do I think we'll challenge for the title and other trophies again?
      Yes.

I also think that Klopp is more pragmatic than people realise.
      He knows that sometimes we'll have to win ugly, grind out results, and yes, have a bit of luck.
      But in many cases, you make your own luck, by being relentless, by never stopping, by never giving up.

It starts tomorrow night, so it's time to put this transfer stuff to bed, break out the shirts and scarves and get behind the team, whoever is playing.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2019 06:07:12 pm by Swab »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #40800: Aug 08, 2019 06:08:14 pm
      Looking at the transfer window as a whole, I don’t think anyone has significantly improved their team.
      You could argue Spurs have but Sessegnon was crap last season and now means they have 3, highly paid left backs. They’ve signed N’dombele and Lo Celso but them two join Dier, Wanyama, Sissoko, Dele, Eriksen and Winks competing for a place in the team. Their biggest weakness is right back and they’ve actually weakened that area.
      Dread to think what Spurs’ wage bill is and I can see them going another 2 years without signing anyone now.

Other than that, of all the players that have been signed this summer, the only one that makes me think we could have done with him is Pepe.

We’ve not signed anyone really but I still see us comfortably ahead of everyone else apart from City. Who by the way signed Cancelo to do the role of Danilo (rarely play) and Rodri, who I was far from impressed with last Sunday. It’s been a strange transfer window. Lots of scatter gun approaches and almost buying for buying sake. The way United, Spurs and Arsenal has days where they were signing Dybala, Coutinho, Fernandes and whoever else just seems like they don’t really know what they want, they just want the profile.

As for United, Lukaku may be a lazy and inconsistent lump but he was still their most lethal striker and they got rid on deadline day without a replacement and got fu**ed off by Dybala. Love it.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #40801: Aug 08, 2019 06:19:09 pm
      And yet all these "crazy" players go to City, imagine someone trying to displace Fernandinho, loco!

First of all I think it is totally different with City it comes down to money.  They will be giving them money through off sure accounts to top their wages they've got so much dirty money tricks.  Financially nobody in the premiership is competing with them.  We only see what they show.   I don't believe their wages not their transfer fees it is all bull sh*t.

I am only talking from a left back position.  Robertson for me is one of the best Left backs in the world.  He plays twice a week no problem and probably put a shift in 1 game that others put in 2 games.  I just think it will be hard to get a very good player to come and compete with him.  I am not saying it is impossible.  But Sessongog for example a couple of seasons ago was really hyped up to be one of the best in his position in the country or whatever.  He needs to join a team where he can try to get some game time.   Only injuries is in my opinion going to give him game time.  I don't think there is much room to be better than him.  Robertson has raised the bar very high.  Give him a Brazillian name and world football will be going crazy about him. 

Other positions are different we have room for a very good even world class wide forward maybe two but we will need to pay generously which generally is against our strategy.  They come here and prove themselves then we start to reward them, which is fantastic if we can sustain the plan.  So far it has worked.  This has been a not so good transfer window.  But we have in my opinion 6 world class players in our squad with a few close IMO.   

Quick Reply