Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

The Suarez and Sturridge Partnership

Read 8817 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      The Suarez and Sturridge Partnership
      Jan 20, 2013 10:51:07 am
      In Suarez & Sturridge Liverpool finally have a strike partnership to worry their rivals
      By David Lynch

COMMENT

Strike partnerships are something of a dying art in the modern game - a trend which peaked in the 1990s but has since gone out of fashion.

Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole, Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton, and Kevin Phillips and Niall Quinn are just three examples of the deadly duos which once ruled the Premier League. Unfortunately for fans of the football telepathy which we often witnessed in those halcyon days, things have somewhat changed.

The prevalence of single-striker formations and the rarer flirtation with 'false nines' has shifted the emphasis of modern formations. The use of 4-4-2 is now a thing of the past, a situation which has resulted in strike pairings reaching near extinction.

DEADLY DUO PLAYER RATINGS VS NORWICH CITY

SUAREZ - 4/5
      The Uruguayan was chasing a record as he hoped to become the first player to score three hat-tricks against one team in the Premier League. When he got Liverpool's second it seemed that he was on track and, although he could not add the other two goals, his all-round play suggested that he deserved them. He never gave the Norwich defence a second of peace and every time he got the ball, Liverpool looked like creating something.

STURRIDGE - 4/5
      Following his move from Chelsea, Sturridge is certainly having an impressive start to his Liverpool career and the Norwich win was no different. His link-up play with Suarez was delightful at times, with his dummy for the Uruguayan's goal testament to that. He effectively ended the match as a contest just after half-time with his third goal in three games and was given a great reception after being replaced by Fabio Borini.
      But, having already reinstated the old 'This is Anfield' sign and the stadium's famous red nets, Brendan Rodgers is ushering in another retro comeback on Merseyside. It is one that a club who have witnessed John Toshack and Kevin Keegan at their peak and Ian Rush and Kenny Dalglish plundering goals know plenty about already. Strike partnerships are back en vogue.

Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge are the fledgling combination which harks back to those glory days - with fledgling being the operative word. Sturridge's introduction halfway through Liverpool's defeat to Manchester United on January 13 hinted at what was to come but only in their first start together against Norwich City on Saturday was the potential fully evident.

The understanding was clear from the off, with the instincts which require each man to make different movements towards goal appearing to have been forged in just two weeks of training together.

It is that fact which will be most encouraging to Reds fans because, put simply, it tends to be the sign of an excellent player. With Suarez's status as one the league's best strikers already assured, then it follows that Sturridge too might one day attract the acclaim of his Uruguayan cohort should they continue to prove so deadly together.

The awareness shown to create the second goal against the Canaries testified to this potential, as the Birmingham-born forward allowed the ball through his legs for Suarez to run in on goal and score. Sturridge showed awareness bordering clairvoyance to help set up his partner and the 25-year-old's subsequent finish provided a fitting reward for a fine piece of football.

The last time when Liverpool supporters witnessed such a remarkable link-up, the club boasted Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres as their frontline options. But that was the work of an attacking midfielder behind a solitary striker, whilst their modern successors are a centre-forward pairing which is rather more old fashioned. 

Strikers such as Robbie Keane and Peter Crouch were on the books at Anfield at various points during the reign of Gerrard and Torres but neither could present a compelling enough case to force their manager to start two strikers. However, the instantaneous nature of Sturridge's impact – having become the first player to score in their first three games for the club since Ray Kennedy in 1974 – means that Rodgers has no choice but to shuffle his pack.

The unusual decision to deploy Jordan Henderson on the left-hand side of midfield suggests that the Northern Irishman may have already found a way to make things work by hook or by crook. However, Raheem Sterling is certain to do his utmost in order to change his manager's mind about whether he should be involved in that new-look team.

This competition for places is indicative that Rodgers is set to channel yet another football concept which has perhaps been cliched in recent times; that Suarez and Sturridge are the first names on the teamsheet.

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/01/20/3685728/in-suarez-sturridge-liverpool-finally-have-a-strike?source=breakingnews&ICID=HP_BN_4

Thought this partnership deserved its own thread.

With Luis getting a couple and Sturridge a goal a game since his arrival it certainly shows the promise of becoming a really good partnership. We've witnessed some partnerships at Liverpool over the years but not many, in very recent years anyway, that boast two goal-getting strikers like these two.

With Luis' flair, creativity and general doggedness and Sturridge's pace, predatory instinctiveness and he has flair too, this looks to be a really promising blend for a partnership that could wreak havoc. Both players have different qualities but also both possess awareness, pace and fantastic movement.

I wasn't exactly bouncing off the walls with excitement when we were rumoured to be in for Sturridge but now he is here and I've seen the partnership with Luis start I can see what it could do for the team in many different aspects.

Luis's goal against Norwich yesterday said a hell of a lot. Telepathic almost with the run from Suarez and the fact that he seemed to know that Sturridge would leave it and Sturridge likewise that Luis would be on to it when he left it.

Lots to discuss with this as not only does it give us options but it also takes some pressure of the young lads like Sterling and Suso and gives us the option to give them the much needed rest that they need.

The SAS Partnership?!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: The Suarez and Sturridge Partnership
      Reply #1: Jan 20, 2013 11:06:29 am
      Good topic mate which I'm sure will have many positive posts but also negative ones in the coming months.

Yes it's great to see how they worked together yesterday and briefly against the scum, however the big test will come against stronger opposition.  If they can score again against the arse and citeh, as well as still showing the natural instincts we've seen already then it will make the decision not to sign Sturridge in the summer even more of a farce.

Hopefully this strengthens Brendans hand with the owners when it comes to future transfers and the need for "now" rather than "the future".
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2: Jan 20, 2013 12:00:58 pm
      I think we are going to be the S team. Suarez, Sturridge, Suso, Sterling, Skrtel, Shelvey (maybe Sneijder). :)

Apart this. They gone to be stunning.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #3: Jan 20, 2013 12:23:41 pm
      Was fabulous yesterday watching the 2 of them having a ball. I have to say i always liked the look of
      DS but thought he was a bit greedy. Not a bit of it this lad is top draw imo he knows when to lay it off &
      he knows when to keep hold of it. In short he's a player & Luis is gonna luv having someone who can read
      the game playing with him.
      Happy Days.....
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #4: Jan 20, 2013 03:24:27 pm
      I don't think it's really a "partnership" though. To me that always implies 4-4-2, but we haven't played that once. Luis is given pretty much a free roam, so for me it's hard to call it a "partnership." They linked up excellently yesterday and vs United last week, in fairness.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: Jan 20, 2013 03:39:15 pm
      Call me old fashioned.

I could never hack Rafa's    Stevie behind Torres.
      In the season it was supposed to work .. due to injury they only could play that a handful of times.
      Where was Plan B?
      There wasn't one.

Whatever tactics modern coaches play the ability to score goals from all over the park is essential.

The ability for two strikers to pull defenders is also essential.

Ive mentioned Harry Redknapp who ensured he had four strikers to rotate at Spurs.

Even the Scum have more than one.

This is basic football.

Now the load of carrying the team has been taken off Luis shoulders

Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #6: Jan 20, 2013 03:49:41 pm
      Call me old fashioned.

I could never hack Rafa's    Stevie behind Torres.
      In the season it was supposed to work .. due to injury they only could play that a handful of times.
      Where was Plan B?
      There wasn't one.

Whatever tactics modern coaches play the ability to score goals from all over the park is essential.

The ability for two strikers to pull defenders is also essential.

Ive mentioned Harry Redknapp who ensured he had four strikers to rotate at Spurs.

Even the Scum have more than one.

This is basic football.

Thing is, Rafa's use of SG behind Torres is quite similar in some regards to how Suarez will now play 'in behind' Sturridge as the number 10. Of course the main point is that no matter what the formation is, the way you play is down to the type of players you have out on the pitch. The game against Man Utd was a great example of this. We didn't change formation at all in the 2nd, we simply brought on a striker for Lucas and shuffled the pack so that Allen and Gerrard were the back 2 of the midfield and Suarez was the 10. Having done this, we started playing further up the pitch because of the added movement and danger Sturridge possesses. Suarez was no longer isolated as the furthest forward, and could now drop deeper to link the midfield to attack, something we lacked in the first.

Furthermore I think Rodgers' decision to play Henderson at the LW position was in part of counter any negative aspects of playing Suarez at the 10, probably because he thought Luis may be less willing to track and cover so Hendo could do the running for him. Against lesser teams, when we are fully comfortable with the formation and the transitions I'd like to see Sterling, Sturridge, Borini and Suarez all on the same pitch. There's certainly a fair amount of attacking threat there.

So all in all you might not be able to call this a partnership in the football sense of a conventional 2-man forward line, as TRM points out, but there must still be an understanding between the forward 'zone' players and that certainly seems to be developing between Suarez and Sturridge. As Danny himself says, it seems to have clicked immediately, and now hopefully will continue to improve.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      Reply #7: Jan 25, 2013 08:10:03 pm
      I don't think it's really a "partnership" though. To me that always implies 4-4-2, but we haven't played that once. Luis is given pretty much a free roam, so for me it's hard to call it a "partnership." They linked up excellently yesterday and vs United last week, in fairness.

They are two strikers playing up front together, and well thus far. Its not an out and out, two up front on their own type partnership, but everybody is referring to their 'partnership' so for the joy of the thread, whilst trying to be happy about something that looks good and is exciting, without being a miserable f**ker, I've highlighted the Suarez and Sturridge partnership in the hope we can all come in talk about how they get on.

To be fair like.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #8: Jan 25, 2013 08:54:09 pm
      I wish this thread more success than a previous one:

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,3902.0.html

:D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,262 posts | 2857 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #9: Jan 25, 2013 09:01:16 pm

Would not be hard.   :lmao:

Class act those two. :f_tongueincheek:
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #10: Jan 26, 2013 11:12:36 am

Ah, back when CRK used exclamation points for everything ;)

OT: What if Sturridge or Suarez gets injured and we have to recall Carroll? Would it be SAC?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #11: Jan 26, 2013 11:54:59 am
      An attacking front three of

Luis Suarez
      Stewart Downing
      Daniel Sturridge

Groovy Baby.   :cool-smiley-027:
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #12: Jan 26, 2013 06:42:20 pm
      Think both players have a one minute advantage, by that they can predict in advance what will happen next. Witness  sturridge let the ball go though his legs and finished off by luis. They can feed off each other think they are both on the same level in skillsets.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Jan 27, 2013 09:05:38 am
      Mustard! 

(But i still dream about Alonso being the supply man )
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Jan 27, 2013 09:44:57 am
      Mustard! 

(But i still dream about Alonso being the supply man )

Gerrard is doing alright.

SAS

It'll do for me.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #15: Jan 27, 2013 11:19:21 am
      Fcker clicked on that saw Voronins name nearly tipped my tea ,uh those were the days .
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #16: Jan 27, 2013 03:59:38 pm
      They are two strikers playing up front together, and well thus far. Its not an out and out, two up front on their own type partnership, but everybody is referring to their 'partnership' so for the joy of the thread, whilst trying to be happy about something that looks good and is exciting, without being a miserable f**ker, I've highlighted the Suarez and Sturridge partnership in the hope we can all come in talk about how they get on.

To be fair like.

Touchy
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      Reply #17: Jan 27, 2013 05:25:25 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      Reply #18: Sep 29, 2013 07:26:17 pm
      These two will score a hat full between them this season if they stay fit and available.

Liked the way Luis made sure he acknowledged Sturridge for the two assists today. Looks like they have a good relationship as well as an understanding.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #19: Sep 29, 2013 08:28:57 pm
      It could well turn out to be a deadly trio when Coutinho returns!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: Sep 29, 2013 08:31:14 pm
      Quite like the idea of

Coutinho

Suarez                  Sturridge

as a front 3.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #21: Sep 29, 2013 09:25:20 pm
      Quite like the idea of

Coutinho

as a front 3.

Me too !!...
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #22: Sep 29, 2013 09:30:15 pm
      Quite like the idea of

Coutinho

as a front 3.
      That's mouth-watering (or whatever they call it  :P).

Quick Reply