Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Liverpool 0-2 West Brom: In-Game and Post Match Grumbling

Read 50962 times
      FootballHistory
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 0-2 West Brom: In-Game and Post Match Grumbling
      Reply #644: Feb 11, 2013 10:33:13 pm
      poor display all round really, especially from the two full-backs! seems that we need to bring our big game form into these "smaller" games! Been the trouble for a number of years now, notably in 2008/9 when we came second! beat Man U twice, Chelski twice, yet drew with Hull at home etc.
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #645: Feb 11, 2013 10:34:22 pm
      Was a shame tonight for Shelvey he was given that luxury position and did not make the most of it I think maybe Hendo would have been better in there and did not agree with him being subbed tonight he did not put a foot wrong unlike many others !
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #646: Feb 11, 2013 10:35:43 pm
      Our defenders weren't this bad last season were they?  What's changed? 
      We had one of the best defences last season , with Agger and Skrtel being probably the best partnership in the league . And now it's gone to sh*t . Defencive coach wants a hammering .
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #647: Feb 11, 2013 10:35:50 pm
      Well played Ben Foster.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #648: Feb 11, 2013 10:35:51 pm
      I think if Sturridge was even 75% tonight then he should have played.  Him at 75% is better than anything Sterling/Borini/Shelvey did tonight.  I don't know.  In about 3 games he's become an essential part of our attack.  Other players have played through niggling injuries.

Yeah good idea

75% fit from a thigh strain
      Get him in so he really tears it

If he was fit he would have started.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #649: Feb 11, 2013 10:36:14 pm
       :'(

We are 3 points off compare to last season with equal number of games played. 36 to last season 39.

We can forget about CL spot for next season now.

Its done. Vent your frustration and move on. Always look forward & not backward.

Come back & fight another day.

Just remember YNWA.  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #650: Feb 11, 2013 10:36:15 pm
      I think with Henderson playing inside where Jonjo was it would have gave us more energy there and I'd have been happy to see one of Sterling, Borini or Coutinho wide left.

Jonjo was pissed he was dropped but I'm more pissed that he played like that after getting a place back in the side.

That's my point though. If you play Jordan at AM, then the options aren't great either for that wide spot.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #651: Feb 11, 2013 10:36:37 pm
      I know i'm really young in this forum, and also in life, but i love this club with all my heart. I saw the match on tele, and it was unveliabale, and yes even pathetic if you look at the stats, 25 shots from our beloved club, 5 from west brom, the possesion, and all we were by far the better team, but something it's been going on for years now. And i don't believe it's the manager fault, or an especific player, becasue this time stevie fail the pen, but last game against city, Reina was to blame, and so on. I Believe it's something bigger, it's about mentality, or at least it's the way i see it, we don't have that killer instinct we need to have in order to challenge for honours.

This is a hard time, our champions league hopes again have suffer a serious setback.

But you know what, we need to stick together, we need to find that thing that is missing, and fight. And be calm, because we have a good manager, we are on our way, i know it's hard to see it right now, but we're on track, but before throwing everything to the garbage, let's just support the team, hard times will come again, WE ARE A WORK IN PROGRESS, and this time is for real, we're not wasting our time, i strongly believe it.

Let's believe, work and carry on. In years time, we'll be winning leagues and challenging for champions league glory again.

Well said
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #652: Feb 11, 2013 10:37:20 pm
      When we went on the offensive, we had 3 or 4 of our players at the edge of their box facing our goal says something about our tactics going forward. The great Liverpool of the past never attack with players facing our goal,  That much I can say about BR's tactics. Still remember John Barnes scorching down the flank and others moved into the box for the cross or pass, one at the middle of the box where the goalkeeper is while the other two on each side of the post.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,336 posts | 4962 
      Reply #653: Feb 11, 2013 10:38:01 pm

That's my point though. If you play Jordan at AM, then the options aren't great either for that wide spot.

Would have been better than watch Jonjo stroll thorugh the game the way he did.

We could have even went with Wisdom RB, Glen LB and play Jose wide left.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,424 posts | 6420 
      Reply #654: Feb 11, 2013 10:39:28 pm
      I know i'm really young in this forum, and also in life, but i love this club with all my heart. I saw the match on tele, and it was unveliabale, and yes even pathetic if you look at the stats, 25 shots from our beloved club, 5 from west brom, the possesion, and all we were by far the better team, but something it's been going on for years now. And i don't believe it's the manager fault, or an especific player, becasue this time stevie fail the pen, but last game against city, Reina was to blame, and so on. I Believe it's something bigger, it's about mentality, or at least it's the way i see it, we don't have that killer instinct we need to have in order to challenge for honours.

This is a hard time, our champions league hopes again have suffer a serious setback.

But you know what, we need to stick together, we need to find that thing that is missing, and fight. And be calm, because we have a good manager, we are on our way, i know it's hard to see it right now, but we're on track, but before throwing everything to the garbage, let's just support the team, hard times will come again, WE ARE A WORK IN PROGRESS, and this time is for real, we're not wasting our time, i strongly believe it.

Let's believe, work and carry on. In years time, we'll be winning leagues and challenging for champions league glory again. 

Well put, good perspective. +1 for you.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #655: Feb 11, 2013 10:40:25 pm
      I don't like the expression "championship player" and think it's used way too often in here, but seriously, it's the best I can come up with to describe Shelvey. He simply isn't up to the task of playing for Liverpool FC as of now.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #656: Feb 11, 2013 10:40:26 pm
      Yeah good idea

This attitude in the past has seen us hinder players careers, if he's not fit which due to him not even making the bench he clearly was then the fit players need to stand up and be counted. The last thing we want is Sturridge out for months on end because we needed him to play when he's clearly not right.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,990 posts | 3061 
      Reply #657: Feb 11, 2013 10:41:52 pm

Good post

Now get to your f#n bed - it's a school night!

;)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #658: Feb 11, 2013 10:41:53 pm

I am absolutely gutted with the performance tonight on an individual and team level. But you've got it spot on. It is about mentality. I was really appalled by the team display. There was no commitment made and no energy or movement. When we went a goal down we tried to press ahead while we had 6 players all quite content to play in our own half. We must sort it out and I cannot lie in saying tonight has been a massive setback for us.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #659: Feb 11, 2013 10:42:04 pm
      another issue i see is that besides a small handful of players, most of our guys have never tasted success.  How do you know what to achieve and accomplish when you have no idea what it is in the first place?  I hate to say this but look at Manure, they can have horrible games (and yes even Sir Alex admits it sometimes) but in the end, somehow they find it in themselves to get that three points.    a bad day in the office for them is a 1-0 win or at worst case a tie.... a bad day in our office is an absolute embarrassment to teams we really should not be losing to.   

unfortunately our man at the helm, mr rodgers isnt sure what success is like as well.  therefore, we need to give them some time to build that foundation... as i said in another thread, the makings are there for this team to be competitive.... they just arent there atm
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #660: Feb 11, 2013 10:44:06 pm
      Yeah good idea

Roger is right . if we had given Sturridge a zimmer frame he would have scored a couple . :)
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #661: Feb 11, 2013 10:46:43 pm
      We had one of the best defences last season , with Agger and Skrtel being probably the best partnership in the league . And now it's gone to sh*t . Defencive coach wants a hammering .

Steve Clarke was our defensive coach last season. Enough said.

But this season, we also seem to have gone to a zonal marking system at set pieces. Plus BR insists on the defenders playing the ball out of defence whereas last season it was a case of clear the ball. We need to revert to type until the end of the season until we get a ball-playing defender to suit BR's tactics.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #662: Feb 11, 2013 10:48:04 pm
      I don't like the expression "championship player" and think it's used way too often in here, but seriously, it's the best I can come up with to describe Shelvey. He simply isn't up to the task of playing for Liverpool FC as of now.

Hate to agree with this because i thought, the way he started his career here, he could be a brilliant player.

Still can be but he is a long way off right now. Can't even pick a pass or keep possession. Not exactly a good mix for a midfielder.

Can't fathom how bad our fullbacks were. I always get battered for this but Glen Johnson is overrated. Not just on this performance, but he can't cross and can't pass. He's a good mover but F**k is he sh*t when he's asked to do something other than run and shoot.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #663: Feb 11, 2013 10:48:05 pm
      Got a lot of respect for Clarke.  He didn't go crazy when they scored, didn't even smile, just kind of gave a little fist clench.  Class act, we should have kept him on if he would have stayed.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,939 posts | 285 
      Reply #664: Feb 11, 2013 10:48:26 pm
      My Summary;

Pepe - Had a quiet afternoon, Pulled off 1 save from Mulumbu, but still think he could have done more for the second goal - 5/10
      Johnson - worst player on the pitch, wasteful, made all the wrong choices, ran up to their 18 yard line and got confused what to do - 1/10
      Carra - decent game, didnt get caught for pace which was lucky. - 7/10
      Agger - had an ok 70 mins, lost his man on the set piece again and got done right at the end. Lost us the game. - 3/10
      Enrique - I think has specifically been told not to bomb it forward and to focus on defensive tasks. Problem is he didn't look himself and looked lost. - 5/10
      Gerrard - I thought had an average game. Some nice cross field balls but was wasteful with 2 simple passes. Missed the pen too and if that had gone in we could have easily got 3 points. - 5/10
      Henderson - some nice touches, definitely growing as a player and not relying on just fitness. Disappeared a bit as was out of position. - 5/10
      Lucas - Didn't break too much up, was very quiet all game, but kept to doing the simple things - 5/10.
      Downing - My MOTM, thought he played very well and pretty much spearheaded our attack.  - 7/10
      Shelvey - Didn't really do a lot, if had let Enrique run onto the through ball instead of poking it home when was clearly was offside would have been a completely different game. - 3/10
      Suarez - Worst game I've seen from him. 1 magical moment with a ball into the box, however his finishing and composure was poor. Has looked off the mark since Sturridge turned up. - 4/10

Borini - good shot pulling a good save out of Foster. Other than that, was very similar to Shelvey and looked completely lost. - 4/10
      Sterling - There is no doubt this kid is talented, been out of the squad for a while and seemed a bit timid today, waiting for others to take over. Hope he gets a bit greedier, hes going to be class. - 6/10
      Coutinho  - Looked lively when he came on, could wriggle out of a tricky spot, had a good shot on target and could have got another pen. Only on for 10 mins, but can see hes technically gifted. - 7/10

redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #665: Feb 11, 2013 10:49:54 pm
      Never ceases to amaze me how we play so well against City/Arse then poorly against WBA.  Having said that Steve Clarke seems to have given WBA something - they were clearly up for it and confident about coming to Anfield and getting a result. 

Don't rate Shelvey never have; any amount of work on his game won't matter - basically he's not good enough.
      Sterling seems to have left us since he signed his big money contract. We should give Borini more playing time and if he doesn't look like he's shaping up (or hasn't the potential to) then we should sell him too.  Nothing wrong with admitting we made a mistake just like we did with big Andy
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #666: Feb 11, 2013 10:52:00 pm
      Last season if we had a game like this - dominating, creating chances - only to lose the game on the opponent's first chance, we would be unlucky, and the players to blame for not taking their chances.

This season it's tactical... it's something for Rodgers, the young unexperienced manager, to learn how to deal with.

If it's a tactical issue, then it's nothing new, cause the same happened last season. I just wonder why the judgement is different.

Quick Reply