Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Pre Match: Zenit v Liverpool (Europa League, 14/02/13, 5pm GMT)

Read 7835 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Pre Match: Zenit v Liverpool (Europa League, 14/02/13, 5pm GMT)
      Feb 13, 2013 11:45:21 am
      Live TV Coverage - 4.30pm on ITV4 for people in the UK

Let's move on from Monday night then!

vs

DID YOU KNOW?

Zenit St Petersburg have never lost to an English side on home soil.

Between them, these two clubs reached three European finals in four seasons between 2005 and 2008.

Liverpool centre back Martin Skrtel helped Zenit to the 2007 Russian league title before leaving for Merseyside the following year.

Liverpool's only away defeat in the Europa League this term came in Russia, against Anzhi Makhachkala.

Thursday's clash will be the first time the two clubs have met in their history.

Liverpool have won as many matches as they have lost (two) away on Russian turf.

-------

In terms of team news, Sturridge and Coutinho will be cup-tied and Kelly is our only injury problem. Zenit have a full-strength line up after the winter break in Russia (they sit 3rd, 5 points behind leaders CSKA).

Not seen Zenit play at all but I'd imagine that Kerzhakov and Hulk will be their biggest attacking threats. Their other big signing Witsel will also probably play.

--------

So what do you think about our chances? And how many changes would you make to Monday nights team?

Think an away goal here will be crucial as I'm struggling to see us get two clean sheets against this lot.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Re: Pre Match: Zenit v Liverpool (Europa League, 14/02/13, 5pm GMT)
      Reply #1: Feb 13, 2013 11:49:27 am
      Nice one Chats as I thought I was going to have to start the thread and never done one before!

I think this will be a tough game but really interested to see who the boss selects given that we are all but out of any chance of European qualification next season in the league.
      redno7
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | 18 
      Reply #2: Feb 13, 2013 11:52:16 am
      a cheeky 1-1 draw away and then all to play for in the return leg at anfield. I've got a ticket for the return leg .
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #3: Feb 13, 2013 12:05:43 pm
      http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/twisted-world-of-the-fans-proud-to-support-europes-most-racist-club/story-fndkzvnd-1226576936475

Not sure if anyone has read this before. Any reds traveling please stay safe and try keep away from trouble. YNWA
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #4: Feb 13, 2013 12:07:21 pm
      No holds barred.We need a full strength first eleven. Zenit will be tough opponents with some talented players. Game to game, I believe we can hold our own.

An away goal will be priceless for the return leg. I hope Brendan has the lads doing shooting practices in training. An away win is not a far cry although we have not beaten any top teams this season, have we?
      « Last Edit: Feb 13, 2013 01:46:37 pm by Venison 86 »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5: Feb 13, 2013 12:29:01 pm
      Nice OP Chats, well done mate  :gt-happyup:

Going to be a tough tough game this, the lads are going to be tired after Monday and travelling to a hostile environment will be hard, we need to be on our guard throughout, I'd be very happy if we can get a draw here and then bring them to Anfield next week and beat them. Like redno7, I have a ticket for the return leg, at least we know what we'll have to do.

The lads will have a lot of crap to put up with, so we'll need to keep our cool and stay calm.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #6: Feb 13, 2013 12:31:38 pm
      I think a 1-1 draw would be a very decent result after the other night's home defeat.
      I think that is a great pity that Sturridge is cup-tied as he seems to make a great difference to our attack.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Feb 13, 2013 12:36:39 pm
      I think a 1-1 draw would be a very decent result after the other night's home defeat.
      I think that is a great pity that Sturridge is cup-tied as he seems to make a great difference to our attack.

You could tell that Suarez really missed Sturridge on Monday night, amazing how important he is to us after such a short space of time.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #8: Feb 13, 2013 12:38:21 pm
      It's going to be a tough game that's for sure.  Something along the lines of the Stoke or Oldham games in physicality.  It's also going to be a very hostile environment for both players and fans.

For me the priority is to get an away goal and hopefully limit them to one which is easier said than done.

Not hoping for much if I'm being honest as these days anything can happen in our games.

I've taken the week off work for this so it best be a good game  ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #9: Feb 13, 2013 12:42:18 pm
      You could tell that Suarez really missed Sturridge on Monday night, amazing how important he is to us after such a short space of time.
      He's the missing link Cas, Luis seemed to have slotted right back into his pre-Sturridge mindset.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #10: Feb 13, 2013 12:45:37 pm
      It's going to be a tough game that's for sure.  Something along the lines of the Stoke or Oldham games in physicality.  It's also going to be a very hostile environment for both players and fans.

For me the priority is to get an away goal and hopefully limit them to one which is easier said than done.

Not hoping for much if I'm being honest as these days anything can happen in our games.

I've taken the week off work for this so it best be a good game  ;D
      I hope that it is a good game for you, after taking a week off
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #11: Feb 13, 2013 12:52:35 pm
      I expect a very tough game away to them and think we need a strong side and one that will work throughout the game.

I'd go for this

Reina

Wisdom  Skrtel  Agger  Johnson

Lucas  Gerrard

Henderson

Downing  Suarez  Borini

Now I know Borini might seem a strange choice but I just think his work rate and movement might free up a bit of space that Luis can move into and get the away goal. Sterling can be a change to make as the game opens up later on.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #12: Feb 13, 2013 01:07:26 pm
      We wont keep a clean sheet so Id be happy to take a 1 nil defeat back to Anfield. But I fancy us to come back with a 2-1 win under our belt
      MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Feb 13, 2013 01:33:00 pm
      He's the missing link Cas, Luis seemed to have slotted right back into his pre-Sturridge mindset.

He was trying to do everything on his own Stu, up against 3 or 4 6ft plus massive defenders.  >:(
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #14: Feb 13, 2013 01:36:59 pm
      Like to see three at the back here.

Reina; Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger; Johnson, Gerrard, Lucas, Enrique; Henderson; Downing, Suarez.

Downing kind of floating around Suarez looking to use his pace on the break like we tried with Raheem against Everton in the 2nd half earlier in the season.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #15: Feb 13, 2013 01:51:32 pm
      For me, I'd go with

Reina
      Skrtel    Coates    Agger
      Johnson          Lucas              Enrique
                Allen
      Henderson
      Suarez       Borini

I personally don't know if Suarez should be starting however. He looked pretty leggy vs West Brom and could probably do with a break.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #16: Feb 13, 2013 01:55:52 pm
      He was trying to do everything on his own Stu, up against 3 or 4 6ft plus massive defenders.  >:(

As you point out Cas, Luis didn't have much choice against the David and Goliath set up.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17: Feb 13, 2013 07:20:40 pm

Seems like a real nice place to visit......... :roll:
      How much communication has LFC had with Zenit and UEFA over the Zenit supporters' manifesto calling for gay and non-white players to be excluded from the team?

It's been a major concern for us, so I wrote to UEFA very recently expressing our concerns to them - and also to Zenit themselves. We await some responses in that regard. The most we can do is make our feelings clear ahead of the game, and hope that we get an adequate response and adequate support on the night. That's about the most we can do at this stage. I'm certainly hopeful that the right people will take the right action to ensure it's a game where we don't have that type of incident.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/ian-ayre-on-zenit-concerns
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #18: Feb 13, 2013 07:31:39 pm

Said a few times that Suarez looks most comfortable in the hole behind a pacey finisher.  That being said, I think we should start with Borini up top with Suarez in behind.  Borini has come in for a lot of criticism lately, and only some of it has been merited in my opinion.  The lad has certainly not had a great game for us yet, but he also hasn't been as disappointing as some are making out. 

I would look to start more or less the same 11 that we put out against WBA, with minimal changes.  Agger needs to be dropped for Skrtel who deserves a chance to redeem himself.  Wisdom needs to come on for Jonho who was shocking on Monday.  And Borini should start in place of Jonjo who was dismal against the Baggies.  Other than that, I'd keep the rest of the team unchanged.  Downing and Hendo have been playing very well lately, and their work rate on both sides of the ball gives us good balance.  Stevie and Lucas have developed a good understanding in the middle of the pitch, and Carra has turned back the clock in his final season to put in some very solid displays. 

Pepe
      Wisdom  Carra  Skrtel  Enrique
               Gerrard   Lucas
        Downing                Hendo
                      Suarez
                       Borini
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #19: Feb 13, 2013 07:51:33 pm
      My take on this game is it's a tough fixture, but they will sertainlky come out and have a go, unlike W. B. so we are more likely to see a performance from us, more akin to the Arse and City games. A more open game seems to suit us, so I would expect us to come away with a draw. I rekon 2 -2  and those away games will see us through i the home leg. Of course it does depend on which side Brendan puts out. Don't think he has to worry about 4th in the prem now, so should be a strong side. Be finishing work early for this, hope i'm not dissapointed.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #20: Feb 14, 2013 02:41:44 am
      No way Suarez should start.  Sorry but Europa League isn't worth the risk.  Let the kids have a shot and if we need him bring him in.

Jones
      Johnson Skrtel Coates Enrique
      Lucas Henderson
      Shelvey
      Sterling Yesil Downing
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #21: Feb 14, 2013 02:53:47 am
      No way Suarez should start.  Sorry but Europa League isn't worth the risk.  Let the kids have a shot and if we need him bring him in.

Jones
      Johnson Skrtel Coates Enrique
      Lucas Henderson
      Shelvey
      Sterling Yesil Downing

F**k that we should be going with our strongest team, let's win a F***ing a trophy!!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #22: Feb 14, 2013 02:59:46 am
      F**k that we should be going with our strongest team, let's win a f**king a trophy!!

Have to agree here..with the league looking out of reach and the domestic cups done with we have no reason not to play our strongest teams in every Europa match.

Quick Reply