Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Should we retire the No.23 Jersey as a mark of respect to Jamie Carragher?

Read 4807 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Re: Should we retire the No.23 Jersey as a mark of respect to Jamie Carragher?
      Reply #46: Feb 09, 2013 09:16:01 am
      If I was an up & coming defender I wouldn't want to take Carra's number anyway.

If I was cocky enough and thought I was good enough then I would.

We have a few young lads with the potential to fill the shirt.

Doesn't have to be a defender though as Fowler wore it as well before Carra.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #47: Feb 09, 2013 11:17:48 am
      Keep it going. Well on its way to having its own little legendary status.

People who wear the number 7, the number 10 and the number 9 know that there is that bit extra thought and expected of them as they are getting the opportunity to go down in Liverpool history alongside some serious legends.

The number 23 now has two of its own and the next person to wear it should know this and be deserving of it.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #48: Feb 09, 2013 02:31:38 pm
      No need for it. Carra knows we love him. He knows we all respect what he has done for this club.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #49: Feb 09, 2013 02:43:19 pm
      NO! Such a tacky idea. 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,983 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #50: Feb 09, 2013 08:33:04 pm
      No, not for me, like Mcarz I would love to see Martin Kelly get it, but I'd have Jamie present it to him on the dressing room after the Qpr game in may, what an honour that would be for young Kelly and a massive shot in the arm from the legend that is Carra
      with Brendan's permission of course.

YNWA
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #51: Feb 09, 2013 08:52:42 pm
      No. Carra wouldn't want it
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #52: Feb 09, 2013 10:57:57 pm
      What's the point when Carra Junior will be wearing it in a few years  ;)
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #53: Feb 11, 2013 07:00:59 am
      No for me as well.

It doesnt matter if the number is 23 or the number is 99 and it might never be chosen.  Liverpool does not have the tradition to retire numbers and plus it gives the opportunity to a future lad to don the now legendary 23 and try his best for LFC.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #54: Feb 11, 2013 11:07:57 am
      No like some of you have said . Dalglish fowler rush all legends and their numbers are still worn so.......
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #55: Feb 11, 2013 01:12:09 pm
      Not for me, I rather see it inspire another squad member.
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison
      • Started Topic

• 159 posts |
      Reply #56: Feb 11, 2013 01:19:26 pm
      From what I've read above, so far, a resounding no!!!!

From a personal point of view, I would be against retiring the shirt as someone else says, "Let new heroes emerge" & wouldn't think Carra would like to see his shirt number being retired.
      Yes, I do agree that it would set a precedent for other shirt numbers from the other legends to be retired if that was the way to go...can you imagine a team without the iconic numbers 7, 8, 9, 10 etc to name a few?

I just wanted to gauge the feeling as so far removed from discussions on all things LFC matters in the pubs on match day...god, I miss them days! Used to travel over 4 to 5 times a season when I was younger with a couple of lads & the banter/craic in the pubs before & after matches were some of the reasons I love about Liverpool as well the matches & night life.

Thanks peeps for engaging in this thread!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,886 posts | 704 
      Reply #57: Feb 11, 2013 01:37:27 pm
      Out and Out No. The club's interests come before those of any player.

We gave him a testimonial. That was our mark of respect.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #58: Feb 11, 2013 04:37:42 pm
      No.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #59: Feb 14, 2013 11:45:44 am
      \What about Gerrard's number? KK's? Fowler's? Thats 4 numbers already. Pretty soon, our next hero will have to wear number 101.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #60: Feb 14, 2013 12:35:09 pm
      Fifa does not allow for shirts to be retired. One of them silly rules , but they didnt even allow argentina to retire #10 when maradona retired.
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison
      • Started Topic

• 159 posts |
      Reply #61: Feb 14, 2013 12:55:31 pm
      Fifa does not allow for shirts to be retired. One of them silly rules , but they didnt even allow argentina to retire #10 when maradona retired.
      So how the rossinieri get away with it then with no. 6 & soon to be No. 3?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #62: Feb 14, 2013 01:33:10 pm

Not that I'm questioning you Quico but I'm sure even if FIFA did it's easy to get around by just not using the number although in international competitions they probably insist on a list of 1-23.

Much easier for a club side to do it I'd imagine.

Back to us and 23 and should never and hopefully will neve happen.

Stupid idea.

Quick Reply