Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your Liverpool MotM?

Enrique
      (3.2%)
      Carragher
      (0%)
      Johnson
      (0%)
      Gerrard
      (17.9%)
      Coutinho
      (5.8%)
      Suarez
      (46.8%)
      Downing
      (26.3%)
      Other...
      (0%)

Liverpool 3-2 Tottenham: In-game & post-match celebration

Read 42313 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool vs Tottenham
      Reply #552: Mar 10, 2013 06:46:58 pm
      Yes!
      I'm only waiting for the MOTM poll to show up so I can cast my fist vote for Stewart Downing... ever!

Fair play to you. I know you've not been Stewart's biggest fan but it's great to see even his harshest critics given him some well deserved plaudits even if a lot of us don't feel he has a long term future at the club. Today does him no harm though.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #553: Mar 10, 2013 06:48:18 pm
      The media harping on about us not having beaten any top half side - well that's two in two weeks. And likewise, Downing MOTM for me! A constant threat when Liverpool were on top. Was watching Sky Sports and that thick idiot Alan Smith voting for Suarez - obviously the guy did great for us as always, but just more evidence of the southern press being totally ignorant and choosing the easy option. Was dreading a Spurs win simply because Tyler and Smith were gonna cream themselves live on air about Bale.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #554: Mar 10, 2013 06:48:57 pm
      Chuffed with the win, gritty, slightly backs to the wall affair, with no outstanding performer on our part, but I'd take 30 of them a season.  Finding it hard to pick a MotM though.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #555: Mar 10, 2013 06:48:58 pm
      Faaaack orrf! We've beaten Tottenham and deservedly so. We didn't play brilliantly but f**k me we took the opportunity. We found out that Tottenham expended too much energy on the time they were on top and we made them pay. We made them f**king pay. Now get out your scarf and start waving it!! If not, don't bother mate.

Mate what are you on about?  admitting we played poorly has nothing to do with getting behind the team.  We were poor.  And they outplayed us for about 70 minutes.  Rodgers screwed up his tactics, we scored and should have rammed it down their throats again but instead we sat back and gave Bale and Dembele ages on the ball.  They scored.  Then in the 2nd half they came out and were all over us for 15 minutes, go back and read the thread:

This has been a wake up call, we're no where near champions league standard.
      We can't keep possession any longer than a couple of passes. Tottenham are pressing well but we need to keep the ball.
      Everyone of our players is giving the ball away
      Lucas keeps giving it away.

F**k sake.
      Do we have a midfield? I can't quite tell...
      Get it fooking sorted lads. They are making us look like tw*ts
      What are we doing?

This is embarrassing
      I can't watch this.

What the f**k is going on??
      Completely sat back and watching spurs play now
      So many players having a shocker today

You think people were saying that because we were playing great?!?  No we were getting played off the park.  But we deserved some luck, we played City off the park and then lost points because of a mistake, we beat Everton and had it stolen at the end by the stupid ref, so it's our turn to profit from someone else screwing up.

But.  We still have a chance to get 4th.  It's slight.  But it's there.  And if we want that then we CANNOT play like we did today.  We have to go out and act like we want to win from the first whistle.  You're not "supporting" the club by pretending we played well today.  Great win but we have to fix the mistakes because it easily could have been a loss.  Onwards and upwards and Rodgers hopefully sorts it out.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #556: Mar 10, 2013 06:50:13 pm
      Christ, you're a miserable fella aren't you.

No.  The difference between you and me is that you're satisfied with one win; I want us to fix the mistakes so we win next time, and the next time, and the next time, and the next time, and the... you get the idea.

The potential is there.

redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Re: Liverpool 3-2 Tottenham: In-game & post-match celebration
      Reply #557: Mar 10, 2013 06:51:57 pm
      David warner tweets :"Miraculous recovery by
      bale,that deserved an academy awards" :D
      Warner is a red??? Nice!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #558: Mar 10, 2013 06:52:07 pm

Mate what are you on about?  admitting we played poorly has nothing to do with getting behind the team.  We were poor.  And they outplayed us for about 70 minutes.  Rodgers screwed up his tactics, we scored and should have rammed it down their throats again but instead we sat back and gave Bale and Dembele ages on the ball.  They scored.  Then in the 2nd half they came out and were all over us for 15 minutes, go back and read the thread:

You think people were saying that because we were playing great?!?  No we were getting played off the park.  But we deserved some luck, we played City off the park and then lost points because of a mistake, we beat Everton and had it stolen at the end by the stupid ref, so it's our turn to profit from someone else screwing up.

But.  We still have a chance to get 4th.  It's slight.  But it's there.  And if we want that then we CANNOT play like we did today.  We have to go out and act like we want to win from the first whistle.  You're not "supporting" the club by pretending we played well today.  Great win but we have to fix the mistakes because it easily could have been a loss.  Onwards and upwards and Rodgers hopefully sorts it out.

Sorry you're just desperate. Everything has to be black and white with you. There's no area to suggest reasons of mentality or anything. Yeah there was times Tottenham were well on top of us, but they didn't do much with it did they bar two set pieces and a little help from our defence did they? Go and find faults in their game for God's sake. You clearly love being a troll and provoking people but I'm not having it. Support your team for once.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #559: Mar 10, 2013 06:52:25 pm

No.  The difference between you and me is that you're satisfied with one win; I want us to fix the mistakes so we win next time, and the next time, and the next time, and the next time, and the... you get the idea.

The potential is there.

But  this thread is about the one fixture/win, we have other threads that cover the seasonal arc/on-going performances
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #560: Mar 10, 2013 06:53:37 pm

The potential is there.

One win? It's been three on the trot mate and you haven't stopped whining.

Of course the team will sort out the issues - do you think they're paid just to sit back and laugh/cry about the results?

Come on now, use that brain of yours. You're not the only one concerned, but we have to enjoy the win - we know the issues WILL be addressed by the club staff; it's not our job.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #561: Mar 10, 2013 06:55:34 pm
      You know, we were outplayed for large portions. We conceded so much possession, gave the ball away constantly, looked very shaky at the back, and were once again a nightmare at defending set pieces.

But, we won. We capitalized on their mistakes and we won. Three points in a game we weren't the better side. That's football. We've been on the other side of that coin far too often.

I think the real big negatives are the set piece defending and lack of possession/gifting the ball back to the opposition. Granted, neither of those free kicks should have been awarded. BUT, we've been defending like borderline relegation fodder on any kind of halfway decent cross or corner, and we gave up two goals as a result of it. That's a massive area we need to address.

Stewart Downing was excellent today. He really provided an outlet on the right and his equalizer effectively won us the match. His crossing was good, he knew when to shoot, and he didn't seem afraid to take his man on. All encouraging signs.

While Sturridge was a bit disappointing today, I still he think he was a threat to their backline and his link-up with Suarez is still showing signs of growth. And speaking of Suarez, he was great once again. Brilliant finish on the goal, set up by a good play from Enrique and Coutinho - who has been excellent for us since coming over.

So happy today. We won a very tough match against a quality opponent - and we did it dramatic fashion! We showed some balls today, especially once Downing scored. That changed the match.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #562: Mar 10, 2013 06:56:13 pm
      But  this thread is about the one fixture/win, we have other threads that cover the seasonal arc/on-going performances

Yup, we've only got one major challenge left, Chelsea at home, I don't think Everton will be a problem for us.

My point remains: we won today, but we didn't play well, and we need to sort it out.

But, as they say, these are the kinds of games you have to win, even when you aren't playing well.  We're turning the corner in that regard I think.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #563: Mar 10, 2013 06:56:55 pm
      Get 606 on. Spud fan crying into his beer about poor refereeing. I thought Oliver was giving them things we were never getting. It was remarkable he gave us a penalty which was stone wall by the way. Defender was all over Suarez like a plate of spaghetti bolognaise after a rollercoaster ride.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #564: Mar 10, 2013 06:57:24 pm
      Made it hard for ourselves, at times we were playing really well and at other times we were getting played off the park. Again it was our inability to deal with high deliveries into the box that nearly cost us today. Johnson was poor today but no defender filled me with much confidence today, nor our keeper, sooner Pepe is back the better! Jones couldn't catch a cold!

But today we showed something we haven't done enough lately and that is show character, so many times if we fall behind after taking the lead we just give up but today we turned it around and got a very good win to bring them down a peg or 2 and jump above the Bitters! 9 Behind them now, probably a tall order but we just have to keep these wins coming, could be vital when we play Chelsea at the end of the season! Hopefully Arsenal will continue to stutter along with Chelsea!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #565: Mar 10, 2013 06:59:59 pm

Hang on a minute, Liverpool were edging Spurs out when they got the first goal - that was 20 minutes of decent play. Then after that it was all Spurs for about 40 minutes. But after that it was all Spurs. Liverpool didn't really look like they were going to lose after the Downing goal. I would have brought on an extra midfielder at half time in place of Sturridge who wasn't doing much, but the game went on and he came into the match more, stretching the Spurs defence well, shoring up a lot of space for the likes of Downing to be dominant. Little factors like these do have a big impact I think. Nobody is saying 'well Rodgers is a genius and we are the best' - we all know we weren't perfect, but considering the state of the club of the last few years, a result like this last year, the year before, and the year before that, would have seen every Liverpool fan bite your hands off for that sort of result, and performance.

How many times can you say we have scrapped a win over the last few years when we've been up against it. The last few years would have seen us press the self destruct button after the Spurs goal. We didn't, we got on with the game, and we won.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #566: Mar 10, 2013 07:00:01 pm
      Started well & finished well, but we were very poor in the 30 mins in between. We got lucky with the 2nd goal, but overall I think we were lucky to win really. I just think they're period of dominance stepped me back. Anyways, doesn't matter cos we got the win :) Delighted! And against a good Spurs side too in fairness.

Downing I thought was very good overall, Suarez, Stevie, Agger, Coutinho were good too. Thought Sturridge & the full back were poor enough, and Allen did ok when he came on, nervous at first but then actually kept the ball.

Massive 3 points for us, looks like we're gonna need 5th at least now for European aspirations.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #567: Mar 10, 2013 07:01:16 pm
      We should have had a 2nd penalty... remember Skrtel vs WBA in the 1st league game of the season? It was a similar play. Johnson touched the ball and the Spurs defender (I think it was Vertonghen) trying to clear the ball actually caught Johnson's leg.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #568: Mar 10, 2013 07:02:16 pm
      We should have had a 2nd penalty... remember Skrtel vs WBA in the 1st league game of the season? It was a similar play. Johnson touched the ball and the Spurs defender (I think it was Vertonghen) trying to clear the ball actually caught Johnson's leg.

Yes. Technically, it should have been a penalty, just like the Skrtel play. But that's a very harsh decision to make. So of course, it went against us at WBA :laugh:
      Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #569: Mar 10, 2013 07:04:59 pm
      Don't care what anyone says, I am going to enjoy this win and hope it gives us some momentum for the remaining games. Too many times we've battered teams but had nothing to show for it.
      Voted Downing for MOM, I thought he was excellent and after everything that's been said about him, he's knuckled down, worked hard and done all that's been asked of him. I don't think we can ask more.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #570: Mar 10, 2013 07:05:58 pm
      Chelsea having to replay the F.A. Cup tie with Utd will do us no harm either, 10/1 for 4th place I actually think is value for money. Ladbrokes if anyone is tempted to back us.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #571: Mar 10, 2013 07:06:53 pm
      Jones doesn't exactly inspire confidence but to be fair to him I don't think he could have done much about those two goals.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #572: Mar 10, 2013 07:08:05 pm
      My point remains: we won today, but we didn't play well, and we need to sort it out.

Which many people have managed to say in this thread, not just you, and without making it sound like the end of the world.  Got to add that I don't think Spurs were great shakes either, set pieces aside.  For the first 44 minutes, Spurs crossing didn't worry us a jot, we defended them easily and Lucas & Gerrard, albeit not prettily at times, effectively broke up play.  After their goal and going into the second half, we looked a little jittery and some of that was down to Brad Jones, who clearly isn't comfortable with the ball at his feet.
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #573: Mar 10, 2013 07:09:18 pm
      some tweets of him
      David Warner
      @davidwarner31
      Come on LIVERPOOL!!!!!!! David Warner
      @davidwarner31
      Serious goal by the man, Suarez David Warner
      @davidwarner31
      Academy award for bale, miraculous recovery!!! seems Like a Liverpool Fan
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #574: Mar 10, 2013 07:10:03 pm
      Reminded me very much of the game against West Ham in December. Same result, similar performance but against a much much much better team. And in fairness to Tottenham they have been a quality side under AVB this season and particularly over the past few weeks.

Quick Reply