Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

What does Brendan have to do next season to convince his doubters?

Read 19581 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      What does Brendan have to do next season to convince his doubters?
      May 18, 2013 01:54:30 pm
      Plenty of questions about what is the "minimum" next season for Brenden to keep his job, but what about if we flip it? Clearly his achievements (such as they are) this season haven't won everyone over, even if they have convinced people such as me. So what would it take from Brendan to stop people secretly (or not) pining for a managerial change?

Is it a top four finish perhaps? Would that be enough to see the humble pie being nibbled at. Maybe it would take a trophy? We've only won one in seven seasons and we're only in three next season, but is that the hurdle the manager must leap over? Is it both perhaps, or maybe a title challenge, or even a title win? Does it maybe stand or fall on signings, does Brendan have to do much better than Allen, Borini, Coutinho, Sturridge and Assaidi for a combined forty five million quid? Is it maybe more bout interviews, less sound bites and more substance when discussing the team and performance? I'm just interested to know what it would take for Brendan's many doubters to be won over?

I suppose it's only fair to point out what it would take for a believer to lose belief. Here's my threshold. If we once again don't reach a Wembley appearance, and once again finish below 6th I'd start to waver.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Re: What does Brendan have to do next season to convince his doubters?
      Reply #1: May 18, 2013 01:58:33 pm
      I'm a fan of Brendan personally. I think to convince the doubters a cup, or at least a run to the semis of a cup, and a top four challenge should convince some.

But at the end of the day there will always be haters. Often for who Brendan isn't rather than who he is.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2: May 18, 2013 02:05:23 pm
      Grow a goatee!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: May 18, 2013 02:11:07 pm
      Win games, and make sure we can be proud of our team. And at the end of the season finish 4 or at least be very close to it. But at the moment, he should buy the good players at the right price.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4: May 18, 2013 02:19:36 pm
      Oh no! We cant have people calling him a "Fat Irish waiter :f_tongueincheek:

I'd say failure to break nto the top 4 next season will have Brendan looking over his shoulder. As for convincing his doubters from this season, most people should be happy with that, for me closing the gap on the leading pack, staying with the big boys up until the closing stages, even if we just miss out on 5th, would probably be enough to buy another seasons grace. I would be hopeful of a Trophy this season, a repeat of last years embarrassing exits would not be good enough.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5: May 18, 2013 02:51:42 pm
      Some dislike the man for no more reason than he took over from KK.
      Others dislike him because he isn't Rafa.
      I've even seen it on here that he is nothing more than a yes man for FSG.

It's all bollocks as far as I'm concerned.

I've seen improvements this season, and I expect to see more next season.
      If he improves the team every season, then sooner or later he'll win trophies.

As I've said in different player threads (and it applies just as much to the manager) people need to have patience.

Oh, and stop with the bullshit personal vendetta's because he isn't someone else.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #6: May 18, 2013 03:09:42 pm
      why does he have to be sacked I cant find any reference to people saying sack him?.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7: May 18, 2013 03:44:54 pm
      Being one of the doubters .... he needs to ensure that we are tight and winning the games that we are suppose to be winning.
      No more Oldhams.

In the mix by year end.
      That does mean top four and CL qualification May 14.
      Miss and we are talking 2015 / 2016 and how many years will that have been since we were in it?

No time. He is manager of Liverpool Football Club

He knew that when he first looked out at all that he managed from his Melwood office window.
      « Last Edit: May 18, 2013 04:06:57 pm by eurored »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #8: May 18, 2013 03:46:40 pm
      Some dislike the man for no more reason than he took over from KK.
      Others dislike him because he isn't Rafa.
      I've even seen it on here that he is nothing more than a yes man for

There are valid reason why some hold those views which you point out and they are well documented too.

Genuine assault for the top 3 & a Trophy would show progress.

Edit: also needs to show us names in envelope  :D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: May 18, 2013 04:01:11 pm
      There are valid reason why some hold those views which you point out and they are well documented too.

Well documented in what sense?
      I have yet to see any evidence that he is any kind of yes man.
      Just because he doesn't go crying to the media every 5 minutes if he can't get his own way doesn't make him a yes man.

The owners had a very definite plan, BR was hired to implement it.
      That's not being a yes man either. That's knowing and sticking to the terms of employment.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10: May 18, 2013 04:06:07 pm

Genuine assault on the top 3 AND a trophy? Shouldn't be too difficult  :roll:
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #11: May 18, 2013 04:13:15 pm
      why does he have to be sacked I cant find any reference to people saying sack him?.

My mistake. I thought that when people say they want Rafa back they were meaning as manager, meaning we'd have to get rid of the one we've already got. That is unless the people are suggesting a Houllier/Evans type duo?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #12: May 18, 2013 04:14:50 pm

Much depends on this transfer window.
      IF we get the right quality of players in (not necessarily marquee signings), IF we have a good pre season, IF we start the season well, IF BR can instill and maintain consistency, then we have a good shot at top 4, and a domestic trophy.

A lot of "IF's" there, but it's the same for the champions, 2nd placed team, chelsea, and everton.
      Expanding on that a little, spurs need to strengthen AND hold on to bale, and arsenal need to find consistency.

So, it's not impossible to get back into the top 4, but we need things to go smoothly, which means getting our business done early first and foremost.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: May 18, 2013 04:16:50 pm
      Sacrifice Alex Ferguson in the center circle at Anfield and shout 'there can be only one'
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #14: May 18, 2013 04:20:51 pm
      Learn from his mistakes:

Don't try to manage expectations below top 4 and paint them off as fantastic.

When you buy someone don't heap expectations on their shoulders, let them settle. As the 'welsh xavi' statement will haunt you and Joe and be a monkey on his back until he re-discovers the form we hope he can find.

Substitutions, if we're coming back in a cup game don't sub on some untried, untrusted Assaidi when momentum is in our favour and kill the game, quite a few examples of very poor substitutions and in my opinion they need to improve.

If you choose to 'blood the kids' don't be the first to put the knife in and realise it was as much your choice as their responsibility that caused the failure.

Try to stop over selling the task at hand as the work of a magician or monumental task when taking over a cup winning side.

Sort the defence out and stop allowing the same mistakes to cost us goals, individual errors are hard to cater for but consistently being a shambles at set pieces is something that should have been addressed early on in the season and if it continues next year we still wont be challenging.

Beat a top 4 side.

Stop having to correct your own mistakes by starting the team in a formation that doesn't work up to half time. Get it right from the start.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #15: May 18, 2013 04:23:39 pm
      He needs to have his bosses let him get people in through the door before others are ushered out before he can be given a fair crack of the whip in my opinion.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #16: May 18, 2013 04:44:14 pm

Are you suggesting its going to be hard for Rodgers to raise expectations at the club? It seems you have settled for 5th/6th place in the league.

Next season is about raising the bar of what is expected from the Owners, Manager & Players.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #17: May 18, 2013 04:51:20 pm
      I'd want him to ignore fans who treat top 4 like a trophy and just deliver a significant point improvement.  I think a title challenge is a pipe dream, even with us spending our resources, this summer, perfectly.

An FA cup run or at the very least a non-embarrassing exit.
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Reply #18: May 18, 2013 05:40:15 pm
      Build a consistant team.
      Challenge for all 3 trophies.
      Beat all the poor teams and improve results against top teams.
      Stop being clever in interviews were not stupid.
      them four thing i'll be happy
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #19: May 18, 2013 05:47:56 pm
      Are you suggesting its going to be hard for Rodgers to raise expectations at the club? It seems you have settled for 5th/6th place in the league.

Next season is about raising the bar of what is expected from the Owners, Manager & Players.

I'm not suggesting anything really. The question is not what we need to do in order to progress, it's what the manager would need to do in order to win some people over. My own feeling is that for some people, it doesn't really matter what he does. It just so happens that he isn't the person that some people want, and because of that they won't accept him fully no matter what.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #20: May 18, 2013 06:08:15 pm
      Get the team to play consistent football and show more capacity to adapt tactics to win games.
      Challenge for a CL place (don't mean he must absolutely succeed, but I don't want all serious hopes finished by march).
      Perform at least decently in cups (no more Oldham).
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #21: May 18, 2013 06:12:53 pm
      My mistake. I thought that when people say they want Rafa back they were meaning as manager, meaning we'd have to get rid of the one we've already got. That is unless the people are suggesting a Houllier/Evans type duo?
      theres a big difference in saying that we would take RAFA back and saying sack Brendan to bring him back you know this but like to use your big wooden spoon all the time.
      I would have Rafa back tomorrow but that isn't going to happen because Brendan is going to get at least another season and if the owners support him we have enough in the squad to make a huge improvement on this very ordinary season.
      Rafa would do a great job here but I personally think it would be impossible with these owners so its a pipe dream and maybe some of us yearn for those fantastic European nights again
      It will not happen next season as there will be no European football so there is no reason why we cannot concentrate on all domestic challenges and try to win them all. Brendan hasn't come down from Mars so he knows full well where this club needs to be.
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #22: May 18, 2013 06:19:29 pm
      I'd be the same some others above, I want Rafa back but its not going to happen so I 100% want Brendan to succeed.

In terms of what he needs to achieve, I said before this season he had to get to 60 points. Next year it has to be 70.
      That may or may not get us in to Europe, and we might win another trophy, but I am more concerned with heading
      towards winning the league. No team has ever come from 60 or so points and won the league the next year. We
      need a platform to build on and I think we can only expect a 10 point a year of so improvement. So 70 next year, 80
      the year after and we are then in touch with the top of the table.

Quick Reply