Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

What does Brendan have to do next season to convince his doubters?

Read 19550 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Re: What does Brendan have to do next season to convince his doubters?
      Reply #92: May 20, 2013 06:38:33 pm
      Interesting reading Mick but what struck me more than anything in your table is that we had almost identical goals for/against as the mancs yet accumulated 19 less points.

there are some good stats but the only one worth consideration based on 38 games not 30 or 25 is we finished 7th. To look at anything else is just folly and smacks of clutching at straws.
      This season has gone nothing to be gained by going over stuff now we need to be a lot smarter next season much more clinical and win more games,,simples
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #93: May 20, 2013 06:44:58 pm
      3 at the back may have had more to do with Carra's pace.
      His organisational skills are second to none, but others are needed to do as they're told.
      I think we need another CM too. Diame or Granero maybe?

Was it Granero who came on for QPR yesterday, the one Ibe tracked back and tackled beautifully?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #94: May 20, 2013 06:50:56 pm
      I think one of the big things that needs to be sorted for next season is picking up more points against teams below us.  I know everyone keeps going on about not winning against sides above us but we dropped 27 points to teams who finished below us, that equates to 9 losses.

For a team hoping to qualify for CL that just isn't good enough.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #95: May 20, 2013 06:53:56 pm
      Whilst we are not winning the league or realistically challenging, you cannot beat winning trophies. BR got this wrong, badly this season.

Challenging for the top 4 is a minimum and as he is the 6th longest serving manager in the prem, we have the stability now!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #96: May 20, 2013 08:07:20 pm
      Whilst we are not winning the league or realistically challenging, you cannot beat winning trophies. BR got this wrong, badly this season.

Challenging for the top 4 is a minimum and as he is the 6th longest serving manager in the prem, we have the stability now!

Wow, you're a genius. Way to go on contradicting your entire argument - Challenging is the minimum but because we can't challenge we should do cup runs instead.   :lmao:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #97: May 20, 2013 08:30:14 pm
      Was it Granero who came on for QPR yesterday, the one Ibe tracked back and tackled beautifully?
      I think it was Debs,but the thing that impressed me with young Ibe was the distance he covered to make that tackle.I look forward to seeing this lad next season,a star in the making.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #98: May 20, 2013 08:35:20 pm
      I think it was Debs,but the thing that impressed me with young Ibe was the distance he covered to make that tackle.I look forward to seeing this lad next season,a star in the making.

He's one of many Billy and that really is exciting.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #99: May 20, 2013 10:02:59 pm

Thats the one debs.
      Wasted at QPR.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #100: May 20, 2013 10:06:01 pm
      Thats the one debs.
      Wasted at QPR.

He gave them a bit more momentum when he came on.  I can see quite a few leaving this summer.  Did they pay loads for him?  Or should I say how much would he cost?
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #101: May 20, 2013 10:13:21 pm
      For me top four nothing less
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #102: May 20, 2013 10:24:29 pm
      Sacrifice a goat mid-field @ Old Toliet
      Shave a mountain gorilla's ass cheeks and glue them to Arse's face @ emirates
      Throw banana peels at chimp boy as he runs down the sideline @ Spurs
      Bring back Anfield Cat and train it to take a piss on visiting managers trousers @ Anfield

If he can do those 4 things I am satisfied whatever the results next season may/may not be.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #103: May 20, 2013 10:28:58 pm
      He gave them a bit more momentum when he came on.  I can see quite a few leaving this summer.  Did they pay loads for him?  Or should I say how much would he cost?

Cost QPR 6 million. Well 6.something.
      Wouldnt mind a 10 million bid for Granero and Cesar.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #104: May 20, 2013 10:39:09 pm
      Cost QPR 6 million. Well 6.something.
      Wouldnt mind a 10 million bid for Granero and Cesar.

They would be good additions definitely.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #105: May 21, 2013 04:03:00 pm
      Aldo's opinion:

John Aldridge: What Liverpool FC must do this summer

LFC must repeat January transfer window success and bring in quality, not quantity

Liverpool FC's players and fans can't be happy about finishing seventh but there is plenty to be positive about going into the summer.

Liverpool’s form in the second half of the season was very good and now we have to ensure we build on that progress this summer.

It’s just a shame looking back that we started the season so slowly.

Transfer deadline day last August killed us really. Not replacing Andy Carroll meant we were very short on firepower and that contributed to a poor start.

It wasn’t made any easier by a  tough run of fixtures and the fact the players were adjusting to a new style of play.

Too often we didn’t have enough quality to change games and we found ourselves playing catch-up.

Over time there was real improvement and that was partly due to Liverpool having their best transfer window we’ve had for a very long time.

The January arrivals of Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho gave everyone a huge lift.

It was probably the best we’ve had  since 1987 when John Barnes, Peter Beardsley and myself joined Liverpool.

Sturridge has really impressed me with his pace and power and his scoring record is excellent.

I don’t want to put too much expectation on Coutinho but he is a very special player.

At £8.5million he’s been an absolute steal and we’ve not been able to say that about many signings over the past 15 years.

Far too often we’ve paid over the odds and dished out big wages to average players but Coutinho has been a great investment.

The challenge facing Rodgers  is to repeat the trick in the transfer market this summer.

We need three or four players to strengthen the squad. It’s about quality rather than quantity.

Obviously with Carra retiring and big question marks over the futures of Martin Skrtel and Sebastian Coates, he needs at least one centre-back and possibly more.

We also need more height and strength in midfield. I’d like to see the manager sign someone with a physical presence who can get around the pitch.

We still need another option up front – a goal scorer to compete for a place with Luis Suarez and Sturridge.

If we achieve all that then we will go into next season with real optimism.

It was good to see the Kop show their appreciation to Brendan Rodgers on Sunday. He took on a tough job last summer and he was never going to be able to do everything overnight. But he speaks sense and is very likeable. The players clearly enjoy playing for him.

Too many managers have come and gone in recent years. We’ve got to stick with Rodgers and give him time.

We’ve had to be patient but after the way we’ve finished this season I’m convinced we’re heading in the right direction.

link
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #106: May 21, 2013 09:25:26 pm
      - A consistent challenge for fourth from the off
      - At least one good cup run (no excuses)
      - Beat some of the current top four
      - Show the rest of the league we can defend set pieces (and counter attacks)

- oh and stop using the word 'group'  :laugh: (reminds me of Gus Hedges - google it if you don't remember!).
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #107: May 21, 2013 10:14:41 pm
      - A consistent challenge for fourth from the off
      - At least one good cup run (no excuses)
      - Beat some of the current top four
      - Show the rest of the league we can defend set pieces (and counter attacks)

- oh and stop using the word 'group'   (reminds me of Gus Hedges - google it if you don't remember!).

Yeah, this'll do for me. With final outcome a top 4 place. Any cups a bonus but not a neccessity.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #108: May 21, 2013 10:21:20 pm
      Stay in tune and hit the high notes in the same song.
      powergerrard
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      Reply #109: May 21, 2013 10:37:25 pm
      Buy a few quality players..........Would love to see him sign; Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Christian Eriksen, Kolo Toure, Asmir Begovic (only if Pepe leaves for Barca) Ben Arfa

Get rid of a few players.......Downing, Coates, Carroll, Spearing!

Continue to bring young players through....Ibe, Sterling, Wisdom, Coady, Sinclair

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #110: May 21, 2013 11:59:33 pm
      Do the transfer business early , this late bollocks dealing and losing out to the spuds does my head in .
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #111: May 22, 2013 04:03:51 am
      What? convince his doubters they were right or change their mind. Personally I think he has to take us up the table i unless of course the teams above us invest a lot more than we do.

Everton will be back to square one (the should rename Goodison square one).

Tottenham are at the same stage with their new manager and squad, but I think we have better youth coming through, schooled in a style which suits BR's philosophy.

THe others are richer than us. Arsenal won't improve much more under Wenger unless they spend a heap. If they got Fabregas back and Benzema maybe(pure speculation I know).

Utd are going to need time under Moyes.

City will need time under Pellegrini. He hasn't managed in England so he may need time to adapt, but they have cash and he is a good manager, but he hasn't played against Stoke mid winter.

Chelski will get off to flier under Mourinho. He will be super keen to redeem himself, Abramovich will spend the cash and they are looking like a strong side. The only thing here is, Mourinho has always had a Ronaldo, Drogba or a Robben i.e. a world class player in the peak of form to win matches they shouldn't win because they lack creativity. Chelski also don't seem to have leaders (Terry and Lampard?)

Of the teams below us, who is there?

We should improve, how much is anyones guess. I don't think Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge and Gerrard (age?) is offensively that far behind any EPL team. We also have Sterling, Suso, Downing, Borini etc to compliment.

We need another good midfielder in the Alonso mould. We also need another Lucas in case he gets crocked again. We need another fullback. I would spend the big money here. A couple of Deeper lying but creative midfielders or an attacking FB may cost you less than a forward but we need them. We have enough defensive FB's/CB's in my opinion.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #112: May 22, 2013 08:59:35 am
      Buy some more class acts like our january business & not F**k up like our pre season business
      like choosing not to sign Sturridge.
      If we sign Eriksen, Papadopolous, Toure quickly we will be on the way imo. Also get the Andy Carroll
      deal sorted out tout suite..
      Another player i'd like to see us go in for would be Luciano Vietto from Argentina he could replace Downing
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #113: May 22, 2013 11:31:38 am
      Agree with some of the earlier posters.  Can be no excuse for at least one decent cup run next year. 

We had won twice and only had 12 points after the first 11 league games last season.  That can't be repeated - we need to be getting more like the 22 we got in the final 11 games.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5032 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #114: May 22, 2013 03:02:17 pm
      Alot depends on who comes in this summer to be honest, having said that the first thing we need to be is more consistent, once we have that confidence will soar and so will our league position, i can understand the doubters having doubts as in regards to Brendan being the right man or not, maybe those doubters were expecting to much in Brendan's first season in charge, maybe, but we have to remember that Liverpool as opposed to Swansea are on a different level, and although the Job he did at the Liberty was hugely admirable we cannot compere that to our finishing 7th this season, he has admitted himself that this first season was that  of a learning curve and he made mistakes along the way,
      his next season will be a testing time for him because he will need to be more forward thinking and more decisive when it comes to those pivotal moments in matches when he has to turn 1 potential point into 3, it's been one of our downfalls this season in that 13 matches were drawn, potentially a further 26pts lost,
      we have to consider we had only one striker for half the season and the fact so many players adjusting to the new philosophy,

i like Brendan, i like what he is trying to do, i can see real potential in his methods and he is open to change things if he feels his original ideas are not working, he's not afraid to try new things even if only for one half of a match, i like the way he encourages the young lads in the U21's and academy by getting them involved with the first team whether they play or not,

this season alone we have seen the debuts of Raheem Sterling, Suso, Andre Wisdom, Conor Coady, Jordan Ibe, i can't remember past managers allowing so many young lads a chance to experience life with first teamers in a single season, so hats off to him, and all those young lads wiil have their ego's boosted and their confidence raised by the experience, it also sends a message to other young lads that by getting your nut down and working hard they too could be making their debuts,

to answer the question posed, i believe we WILL be challenging for at least a CL position next season, with Scum having a new gaffer along with their noisy neighbours, i would doubt they will be as dominant as they have been recently, Chavs to me will be the front runners they have a more settled and balanced squad(thx to Rafa), Gooners will be their usual ''anywhere in the top 4 will do us'', Spuds will be up there for sure but to be honest i can't see them being above us,

so i can see us being a major threat to anyone who finished above us this term, put it this way, they will be more worried about us than we will of them, and i like that i really do,
      like i said, it will depend on who Brendan brings in this summer, and if he can bring in the sort of quality we have seen in Coutinho & Sturridge then we could all be dancing in the streets around Anfield come the end of May,

''Ah, we can but dream'' can't we !

Oh, and a decent cup run to boot !

IBWT              YNWA            JFT96     

Quick Reply