Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

The non-Liverpool Transfer/Gossip Thread: Summer Window 2013

Read 23242 times
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Re: The non-Liverpool Transfer/Gossip Thread: Summer Window 2013
      Reply #92: Jul 12, 2013 03:40:15 am
      I can only assume its due to loyalty towards Cech?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #93: Jul 13, 2013 10:57:53 am
      Real Madrid have paid £32.8m for Asier Illarramendi...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #94: Jul 14, 2013 07:50:51 pm
      Thiago Alcantara left Barcelona for Bayern. Good signing for Bayern though I struggle to see whose place in the starting lineup he's gonna take. Probably Kroos, which I think is a shame - very underrated.

Don't think Barça should have let him go either. Xavi won't last forever.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #95: Jul 14, 2013 08:56:08 pm
      Thiago Alcantara left Barcelona for Bayern. Good signing for Bayern though I struggle to see whose place in the starting lineup he's gonna take. Probably Kroos, which I think is a shame - very underrated.

Fantastic player, really rate that lad extremely highly and a brilliant pick up for Bayern.
      Bier
      Reply #96: Jul 14, 2013 08:57:54 pm

Barcelona didn't have much choice, they made a bit of a mistake, he had a low release clause, apparently next month that clause would have risen to 90 million.

I read that Guardiola is changing Bayern's formation to a 4-1-4-1. basically dropping an holding midfielder position in favour for a more attacking midfielder position. Means Martinez/Schweinsteiger/Gustavo for that one  holding midfielder position. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Martinez ends up playing as a central defender under Guardiola either.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #97: Jul 14, 2013 10:12:56 pm
      Barcelona didn't have much choice, they made a bit of a mistake, he had a low release clause, apparently next month that clause would have risen to 90 million.

I read that Guardiola is changing Bayern's formation to a 4-1-4-1. basically dropping an holding midfielder position in favour for a more attacking midfielder position. Means Martinez/Schweinsteiger/Gustavo for that one  holding midfielder position. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Martinez ends up playing as a central defender under Guardiola either.

Yeah the first thing I thought about when you spoke of a change of formation was that Martinez could end up in the CB position. Pep surely likes using DMs in central defense.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #98: Jul 16, 2013 07:00:44 pm
      Talkshite reporting that higuain is on his way to Napoli.that will piss the F***ing gooners right off:-)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #99: Jul 16, 2013 07:06:58 pm
      Talkshite reporting that higuain is on his way to Napoli.that will piss the F***ing gooners right off:-)

Might be because Napoli have sold Cavani to PSG for £55 million

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1545 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #100: Jul 16, 2013 07:22:59 pm
      £55M?

Watch Rafa win the UCL soon
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #101: Jul 16, 2013 07:37:54 pm
      Might be because Napoli have sold Cavani to PSG for £55 million

Great player, a shame we're not in the market for that type but no point crying over spilt milk.

Takes PSG's spending over 2 seasons to something near £250m, stunning.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #102: Jul 16, 2013 07:48:28 pm
      Great player, a shame we're not in the market for that type but no point crying over spilt milk.

Takes PSG's spending over 2 seasons to something near £250m, stunning.

An no Champion's League title to show for it either. Shows that money doesn't solve all problems.

How awesome would it be though to see him along Luis in Liverpool.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #103: Jul 16, 2013 08:06:15 pm
      An no Champion's League title to show for it either. Shows that money doesn't solve all problems.

:D

Yeah it would have been awesome to see him with Luis in our team and while they haven't had much success yet, let's see how they're doing at the end of this season before we judge that total spend.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #104: Jul 16, 2013 08:10:36 pm

But you can guarantee that they will now be major contenders. They were very unlucky to go out against Barca last season and next season they're going to be an even bigger threat. Money has got them from having not won the title in God knows how long, to title winners and now contenders for the CL. I'm sure PSG are much happier than they ever were before.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #105: Jul 16, 2013 08:31:49 pm
      But you can guarantee that they will now be major contenders. They were very unlucky to go out against Barca last season and next season they're going to be an even bigger threat. Money has got them from having not won the title in God knows how long, to title winners and now contenders for the CL. I'm sure PSG are much happier than they ever were before.

And how long will that be sustainable....not to mention, when you hire mercenaries, they will always be what they are.

It's like a the mistress that thinks the man she's with who is cheating on his wife, won't ever cheat on her ;D

Likes of Zlatan and others will get tired of not being the focal point and move on and PSG will be treading water just the same as other teams that try to buy success.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #106: Jul 16, 2013 08:54:38 pm
      And how long will that be sustainable....not to mention, when you hire mercenaries, they will always be what they are.

It's like a the mistress that thinks the man she's with who is cheating on his wife, won't ever cheat on her ;D

Likes of Zlatan and others will get tired of not being the focal point and move on and PSG will be treading water just the same as other teams that try to buy success.
      But players will be willing to remain there whilst they win trophies. That stops, then they will leave. It's no different to us having fallen out of the CL and our top players leaving, so I don't think their players will to be honest. 

With regards to it being sustainable, I have no idea I haven't bothered to look at their finances. They may have a plan like City, they had a huge initial outlay but once they made CL, they reigned in their spending a bit, but spend when they have to. Another factor is, as they win more and more, their revenues will also increase through sponsorship etc, so who knows?

I think it's easy to criticise these mega rich clubs, but no-one would be complaining if we had their money.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #107: Jul 16, 2013 09:10:20 pm
      But players will be willing to remain there whilst they win trophies. That stops, then they will leave. It's no different to us having fallen out of the CL and our top players leaving, so I don't think their players will to be honest. 

With regards to it being sustainable, I have no idea I haven't bothered to look at their finances. They may have a plan like City, they had a huge initial outlay but once they made CL, they reigned in their spending a bit, but spend when they have to. Another factor is, as they win more and more, their revenues will also increase through sponsorship etc, so who knows?

I think it's easy to criticise these mega rich clubs, but no-one would be complaining if we had their money.

Maybe, but aren't there a ton of Manure fans that are upset at their spending and the financial stability/state of the club despite their recent success?
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #108: Jul 16, 2013 09:22:07 pm
      Maybe, but aren't there a ton of Manure fans that are upset at their spending and the financial stability/state of the club despite their recent success?
      Without knowing the specifics of the mancs situation (I just hope it fucks them :D) I think their fans were protesting because of the amount of the debt they took on when the Glazers took over and the amount of interest they pay on that debt (which is similar to us under H&G). I haven't got a clue if PSG, City, Chelsea etc were taken over in a similar way, so I don't know if the situations are comparable. (I mean I literally don't know, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your point).
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #109: Jul 16, 2013 11:24:20 pm
      £55mil for Cavani is ridiculous! Think he is the most overrated footballer in the world atm. If he is worth that Suarez is worth £65-70mil just dont understand how people can get better players at cheaper prices.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #110: Jul 17, 2013 12:27:58 am
      Rumours Santi Cazorla has agreed terms with Atletico Madrid. Huge loss to Arsenal if true, regardless of the fee. Arguably their best player last season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #111: Jul 17, 2013 12:38:37 am
      Rumours Santi Cazorla has agreed terms with Atletico Madrid. Huge loss to Arsenal if true, regardless of the fee. Arguably their best player last season.

That would be a huge blow for them and a big surprise indeed.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #112: Jul 17, 2013 01:27:53 am
      Without knowing the specifics of the mancs situation (I just hope it fucks them :D) I think their fans were protesting because of the amount of the debt they took on when the Glazers took over and the amount of interest they pay on that debt (which is similar to us under H&G). I haven't got a clue if PSG, City, Chelsea etc were taken over in a similar way, so I don't know if the situations are comparable. (I mean I literally don't know, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your point).

Oh I know you aren't disagreeing, I was just using them as an example, PSG, City and Chelsea probably aren't in the same financial trouble, but I was merely making a point that it could happen. Also wouldn't FFP come into play now as well?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #113: Jul 17, 2013 04:28:39 am
      If Cazorla leaves Arsenal will struggle. Big loss if true.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #114: Jul 17, 2013 07:55:02 am
      Oh I know you aren't disagreeing, I was just using them as an example, PSG, City and Chelsea probably aren't in the same financial trouble, but I was merely making a point that it could happen. Also wouldn't FFP come into play now as well?
      Well City have already shown a route around FFP, through their ridiculous sponsorship of their stadium, with absolutely no objection from UEFA. Until UEFA actually start enforcing it then I'm going to be very sceptical of it. Clubs have far too much power to be dictated to IMO.

Don't mean to sound patronising, but if you're interested in your football finances and the perils of spending too much, then you should read up on the collapse of Leeds Utd if you haven't already. It's quite interesting (if slightly sad) to see how even a historically big English club like Leeds were able to get into such a state.

Quick Reply