Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Celtic 1-0 Liverpool: In game chat and Post Match thoughts

Read 30092 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Liverpool vs Celtic: Live Match
      Reply #207: Aug 10, 2013 07:24:02 pm
      Diego the difference is that we finished the previous season in 3rd, only ten points off the title.  We were playing well.  So a one off could just be that, a one-off.  Whereas last season we finished 7th, and in this game against Celtic we showed many of the same weaknesses that plagued us last season.  Lucas is still too slow; Enrique still has no idea what he's doing going forward; our back four looks shaky; Allen and Henderson aren't up to par in CM; and we can't find the right ball in the final third.

Now if everything were perfect last season, then I'd be more inclined to say "yea, it's just an outlier and a friendly."  But it's much more likely that we just haven't played any strong competition thus far this pre-season, and the first halfway decent side we face exposes the exact same weaknesses we had last season, which is no surprise considering we haven't done anything to upgrade our starting XI.

That's why it's different from Mainz.

Basically, what you're saying is that you're making conclusions from previous seasons. Conclusions that were already made before this game even started. Conclusions that wouldn't have changed one little bit had we beaten Celtic 5-0 today.

So my point stands: just a f***in friendly.

Like it was against Mainz. Exactly like it was.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #208: Aug 10, 2013 07:25:47 pm

I'm sure Rodgers is in there right now telling the lads "no worries, it's just a friendly!"
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #209: Aug 10, 2013 07:26:45 pm
      Just to put a few things into perspective, folk are not frothing at the mouth because we 'lost a friendly'. It's the manner in how we lost the friendly, and just 7 days before the big one kicks off.

Same issues we've always had:

1. Can't take corners
      2. Can't defend corners (ok Toure has added a bit more solidity but I still crap myself when we defend them)
      3. Refusing to get bodies in the opposition's box
      4. Johnson and Enrique can't cross and when they do; see 3 above
      5. Appalling shooting accuracy, just appalling
      6. Hendo and Downing still floating around the first team and in Downing's case - in the first team
      7. Suarez wants out, is banned for 6 games even if he stays, and Sturridge is not fully fit (7 days to go)
      8. We still lack real width unless the teenagers are playing regularly - and this season they wont
      9. Aspas and Alberto are not first team picks, so we've not strengthened the first team 11
      10. Pascoe is still employed by LFC :D

7, and 8 so far have not been addressed; meaning, adding real quality to the first team who can make an impact now. I'm also aware that with Gerrard playing deeper, we are already pinning a lot of our hopes on a 21 year old to pave the way to glory. Nobody else seems creative enough to unlock defences. Remove Coutinho and we're reaching. We need more quality

At least that's why I'm so bent out of shape - yes it was only a friendly, but so what? Point is, I'm not sure we have the personnel to do any better when it matters. Coincidence we lose 1-0 to the only real opposition (and a b side at that) we've faced? I'm not so sure

I'm not buying it's only a friendly
      « Last Edit: Aug 10, 2013 07:33:46 pm by Rush »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Re: Celtic 1-0 Liverpool: In game chat and Post Match thoughts
      Reply #210: Aug 10, 2013 07:26:54 pm
      Basically, what you're saying is that you're making conclusions from previous seasons. Conclusions that were already made before this game even started. Conclusions that wouldn't have changed one little bit had we beaten Celtic 5-0 today.

I do hope your right Diego and if we tonk Stoke 4-0 I would not be surprised and if Stoke beat us 2-0 I would not be surprised either and that's the problem. We look fragile
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #211: Aug 10, 2013 07:27:07 pm
      Do I detect a mood swing?

After a loss in friendly?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #212: Aug 10, 2013 07:28:22 pm

I'm sure Rodgers is in there right now telling the lads "no worries, it's just a friendly!"

:roll:

No, instead he's selling half of the team and buying the proven stars Wanyama, Moussa Sissoko and Lucas Biglia.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #213: Aug 10, 2013 07:28:37 pm
      Henderson ....the new striker?
      Way out of position for every cross.

Downing had a "i'll impress everyone today"    day .. because he likes the LFC salary Comolli arranged for him.
      Back to sleep for 6 months.

Yes dominated possesion.
      Mignolet had nothing to do second half.

Nothing lighting up the sky for us.

We aint getting anyone else.
      Zero net spend.

No electrifying wingers and no proven strikers.   Just squad players bought in on a budget.

Who wants to give odds now we will be 7th again next May?
      F**k it; I agree
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #214: Aug 10, 2013 07:29:28 pm
      Just to put a few things into perspective, folk are not frothing at the mouth because we 'lost a friendly'. It's the manner in how we lost the friendly, and just 7 days before the big one kicks off.

Same issues we've always had:

1. Can't take corners
      2. Can't defend corners (ok Toure has added a bit more solidity but I still crap myself when we defend them)
      3. Refusing to get bodies in the opposition's box
      4. Johnson and Enrique can't cross and when they do; see 3 above
      5. Appalling shooting accuracy, just appalling
      6. Hendo and Downing still floating around the first team and in Downing's case - in the first team
      7. Suarez wants out, is banned for 6 games even if he stays, and Sturridge is not fully fit (7 days to go)
      8. We still lack real width unless the teenagers are playing regularly - and this season they wont
      9. Aspas and Alberto are not first team picks, so we've not strengthened the first team 11
      10. Pascoe is still employed by LFC :D

7, and 8 so far have not been addressed; meaning, adding real quality to the first team who can make an impact now. I'm also aware that with Gerrard playing deeper, we are already pinning a lot of our hopes on a 21 year old to pave the way to glory. Nobody else seems creative enough to unlock defences. Remove Coutinho and we're reaching. We need more quality

At least that's why I'm so bent out of shape - yes it was only a friendly, but so what? Point is, I'm not sure we have the personnel to do any better when it matters. Coincidence we lose 1-0 to the only real opposition (and a b side at that( we've faced? I'm not so sure

I'm not buying it's only a friendly
      We are going into this seasons first 6 games with only 1 proven if somewhat unfit striker. Doesn't that sound familiar and poor management
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #215: Aug 10, 2013 07:30:24 pm
      I do hope your right Diego and if we tonk Stoke 4-0 I would not be surprised and if Stoke beat us 2-0 I would not be surprised either and that's the problem. We look fragile

I'm not saying we're great and that we'll destroy Stoke or anything, just saying too much overreaction over a friendly. Stoke lost to the glorious Houston Dynamo in pre-season, if we go by that they shouln't worry us in the slightest... doesn't work that way
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #216: Aug 10, 2013 07:31:37 pm
      Yes he has to be fair, and the point is about 10%. By that, I mean I think the best we could do against Stoke, is put in another 10% effort due to it being Anfield and being fitter. But to say it's just a friendly is missing the point. Which is that we we glaringly poor in certain aspects of our game, and that had nothing to do with who we played but how we tried to play.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #217: Aug 10, 2013 07:31:43 pm
      Do I detect a mood swing?

After a loss in friendly?
      Don't think getting beat is the problem it was just a bit of last seasons poor performances. Celtic had a second string team out and we struggled that's the worry so close to the season starting next week.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #218: Aug 10, 2013 07:32:23 pm

And that's your conclusion.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #219: Aug 10, 2013 07:33:55 pm
      Any views from Brendan yet.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #220: Aug 10, 2013 07:36:01 pm
      I'm not saying we're great and that we'll destroy Stoke or anything, just saying too much overreaction over a friendly. Stoke lost to the glorious Houston Dynamo in pre-season, if we go by that they shouln't worry us in the slightest... doesn't work that way
      I don't think I am overreacting - actually, I know I'm not. I wish I was!

I listed the reasons why I was so pissed off at the loss, I think they are rational reasons.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #221: Aug 10, 2013 07:37:05 pm
      Lads Lads Calm down for fucks sake.

Lets have some perspective.

Things could be worse.

We could support Man United and have Moyes as our manager.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #222: Aug 10, 2013 07:37:56 pm
      Lads Lads Calm down for fucks sake.

Lets have some perspective.

Things could be worse.

We could support Man United and have Moyes as our manager.
      There is that
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #223: Aug 10, 2013 07:38:05 pm

He's been spending too much time talking to Wenger about Suarez.

He said he didn't see it.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #224: Aug 10, 2013 07:40:40 pm
      I think the points some of us are making is that who honestly can say they feel confident of beating Stoke at home next week when they will come with 11 men behind the ball. For me we are 3 or 4 players and I mean quality experienced players short.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #225: Aug 10, 2013 07:41:38 pm
      He's been spending too much time talking to Wenger about Suarez.

He said he didn't see it.
      Then he is the lucky one because I did and I am still hiding behind the sofa
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #226: Aug 10, 2013 07:43:51 pm
      I think the points some of us are making is that who honestly can say they feel confident of beating Stoke at home next week when they will come with 11 men behind the ball. For me we are 3 or 4 players and I mean quality experienced players short.

I can see us beating them and not only do I think we'll do it, I think we'll do it in style.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #227: Aug 10, 2013 07:45:15 pm
      For me we are 3 or 4 players and I mean quality experienced players short.

Cheer up mate!

We've got Henderson, he's in year three of his "I'm less sh*te than last season" journey.

We've got Borini, he'll be like a new signing, doncha' know.

We've got Stewart "I want to stay and fight for my place" Downing.

We've got Joseph "Welsh Xavi" Allen, he'll be like another new signing.

We've got Raheem Sterling, if he's not incarcerated.

We've got Suarez, if he decides not to bite anyone anymore.

Basically, everything is sorted.  We don't need 3-4 first team players, we can just bank on the fact that everyone from last season (i.e., 2 months ago) suddenly, by magic, has improved.  What?  Henderson and Allen and Downing were poor again today?  oh that doesn't matter, I *know* they're going to be wonderful this season. 

Top four here we come!  Watch out City and Chelsea, we've got Jordan Henderson!   xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #228: Aug 10, 2013 07:45:53 pm
      Then he is the lucky one because I did and I am still hiding behind the sofa

Isn't it funny that we realise this should have been our acid test and those with any sense have been saying ignore previous pre-season results as they were against utter dross.

Yet you show a sense of concern that we're not prepared and it's all "don't panic" "it's not the end of the world" "such over-reactions", no it's not, it's saying what is blatant in front of us. Should we wait until January to address our clear lack of collective quality because we don't have the 'group' we need to push on and this window is rapidly closing.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #229: Aug 10, 2013 07:47:49 pm
      Cheer up mate!

We've got Henderson, he's in year three of his "I'm less sh*te than last season" journey.

We've got Borini, he'll be like a new signing, doncha' know.

We've got Stewart "I want to stay and fight for my place" Downing.

We've got Joseph "Welsh Xavi" Allen, he'll be like another new signing.

We've got Raheem Sterling, if he's not incarcerated.

We've got Suarez, if he decides not to bite anyone anymore.

Basically, everything is sorted.  We don't need 3-4 first team players, we can just bank on the fact that everyone from last season (i.e., 2 months ago) suddenly, by magic, has improved.  What?  Henderson and Allen and Downing were poor again today?  oh that doesn't matter, I *know* they're going to be wonderful this season. 

Top four here we come!  Watch out City and Chelsea, we've got Jordan Henderson!   xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

How are you not banned? w**ker!

The most boring c**t ive come across on this forum, i'd put my life on it that your still a virgin with no friends.

Quick Reply