Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Celtic 1-0 Liverpool: In game chat and Post Match thoughts

Read 32268 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: Liverpool vs Celtic: Live Match
      Reply #184: Aug 10, 2013 07:04:59 pm
      Same old story, crosses came in but our players inside the box stood like statues and never attempt to attack the goal. When is BR going to get it right!!!!!!! Damn it has been the same the whole of last season, just get one player each to attack the left, right and centre of the box and somehow someone's head or leg will get to the end of it. Plenty of possession but lack the final product.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #185: Aug 10, 2013 07:05:15 pm
      I think some clubs go in for tournament pre season footie we seem to have been on an EGO trip and a money making trip
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #186: Aug 10, 2013 07:06:32 pm
      we can't kid ourselves and say 'it's only a friendly'.

Yes we can. It's only a friendly.

2006-07. Last friendly before the season started - 0-5 against Mainz 05. We ended that season playing in Athens.

Only a friendly.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #187: Aug 10, 2013 07:06:47 pm
      Don't worry everyone!  Everything is fine.

Oh, and if you don't support the manager and his vision now, you have no right to enjoy any success we might have this season.

:roll:
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #188: Aug 10, 2013 07:07:17 pm
      Allen and Henderson aren't the only problems.  Lucas has been poor basically ever since his injury.  His slowness exposes an already shaky back 4, we need someone to give him competition immediately.

We definitely need cover for Lucas if he gets injured or has poor form.  Allen clearly cannot do that job to a sufficient level.  But I don't think Rodgers accepts that.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #189: Aug 10, 2013 07:07:30 pm

2006-07. Last friendly before the season started - 0-5 against Mainz 05. We ended that season playing in Athens.

Only a friendly.
      Boom!
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #190: Aug 10, 2013 07:07:35 pm
      Neither Hendo or Allen is good enough for cam in the 3

Aspas not good enough to play solo up front

Enrique poor form again.need another option like siquera

To me gerrard is slowing a wee bit every season

Wisdom not big enough or experienced to play CB

Positives

ibe ready to start next week ahead of downing

Sturridge sharp enough to start
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #191: Aug 10, 2013 07:08:03 pm
      You can add Henderson to that lot

Still lacked the confidence to make the final decisive pass. When is he gonna get over that? He has been with us for 2 seasons already, are we going to wait forever. Simply either he has the skill or confidence or he doesn;t. Impressed with Ibe but lacked the quality in the final pass, dallied a bit there. Very impressed with Coutinho.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #192: Aug 10, 2013 07:09:01 pm

Only a friendly.

I'm speechless, I'll leave you to your own thoughts
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #193: Aug 10, 2013 07:09:25 pm
      Maybe this loss can work more in our favor than another routine victory would have done. I would like to see Aspas, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho start as our attacking quartet.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #194: Aug 10, 2013 07:09:37 pm
      Don't worry everyone!  Everything is fine.

Oh, and if you don't support the manager and his vision now, you have no right to enjoy any success we might have this season.

:roll:
      /sarcasm

Chin up feds...it's only a friendly

/sarcasm off
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #195: Aug 10, 2013 07:11:41 pm
      To add insult to injury I cant stand Lennon.
      ~I just look at this side/squad and it looks thin on both quality and quantity far too many "future" stars in it. You see the quality of Sturridge having played little football but has that quality to shine above t hose who have had. I just don't know how to  feel anything but apprehension for the upcoming season.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #196: Aug 10, 2013 07:13:55 pm
      Ya little doubt we are a F***ing shambles of a club.
      Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #197: Aug 10, 2013 07:14:15 pm
      Andre Wisdom? More like Norman Wisdom. Toure did what was asked of him. Allen and Dowing typical team men who could come in if a change is needed but otherwise forget it. Coutinho definitely man of the match. How that little pr**k, Owen, gave the man of the match to the goal scorer (forgot his name, he was so inconspicuous!), when Coutinho was on the field I'll never know. Gerrard had his usual poor friendly game. Let's hope he's back to form next week. Predict 4.0 against Dtoke next week.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #198: Aug 10, 2013 07:15:18 pm
      Apparently there's only two options:

1. You think everything is great and we have no problems at all; or
      2. The world is falling apart.

Why would someone make such a great effort to turn the debate into this stupidity, I don't know.

It was just a friendly. One game. One game that means nothing.
      If I'm not overreacting and trying to make conclusions from it, it doesn't mean I think we're the best team in the world.

Everybody knows that. But it's easier to transform the forum into a circus.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #199: Aug 10, 2013 07:17:25 pm
      Ya little doubt we are a f**king shambles of a club.
      Not sure how much tongue in cheek that post is but is it really that far from the truth .Our best player by a country mile has told us to F**k off and we can't seem to get the quality of player we need and the cheque book is locked firmly away and we have to resort to plundering the Academy.The new season is supposed to be a time for hope and enthusiasm all I see is fear.
      Redangel

• 8,394 posts | 1025 
      Reply #200: Aug 10, 2013 07:19:44 pm
      Well done to Celtic, put out a second string and beat our, close to, first team.

Mignolet - Maybe could have done better with the goal, couple of shaky punches and couple of commanding takes.

Johnson - Pathetic, contributed nothing going forward or in defense, worst performer of all on show.

Toure - One of our better players, surprised by the pace he showed, had the ball in the back of the net and looked our only real threat on our set pieces. At the back basically had to do the job of two men.

Wisdom - Dear god, nightmare from start to finish, he'll be glad to get off the pitch but he must not allow 1 mistake shape his performance like that because his confidence went through the floor.

Enrique - Decent enough at the back, waste of space going forward, so many attacks broke down with him.

Lucas - Another of the players who can come off thinking they did fine, thought he was decent for most of the match.

Gerrard - Always said he struggles to get up for friendlies and I think it showed.

Allen - Did well before we went behind, couple of great runs into the box and the odd cross then completely disappeared from the game, never an AM in my book.

Henderson - Really did nothing of note when he came on apart from a nice 1 - 2 and really poor choice after.

Coutinho - Our best player by a mile, should have scored when Downing did well but his technique makes him stand out like a sore thumb amongst some of the poor players on show.

Downing - I think he did decent, not many options made for him in the box when he had it, certainly offered more than most. Still Downing doing decent is in comparison to his usual standards and was still below what we need.

Aspas - Wasn't at the races today, poor show and wasted the opportunities we were creating in the first half.

Sturridge - Did decent when coming on, looked on a great wavelength with Coutinho and was the brightest thing out of the game besides the young wizard.

Ibe - Love him, did brilliant when he came on and added something extra, almost forgot another shining light in a very dull display.

Overall - we got bullied by a big man at the back again, we don't have the strength in midfield when Coutinho and Allen play in the same side, you need someone stronger in the engine room or supporting and obviously you don't drop Coutinho. Anyone not understanding how poor this was, that Celtic side were basically 70% 2nd string, we were 85% full strength, we were coming into the game on the back of big wins and easy performances so should have been full of confidence and should have walked over them!

A shock, one I was kind of expecting to be honest after the dire sides we've been playing and Stoke will be another massive step again next week, are we prepared? I'm not so sure we are, poor choice of fixtures to warm up the lads in my opinion.

Couldn't really disagree with any of that, apart from the fact that I thought we would win!!
      Yes, Toure is a class act, I've been very impressed with him and think he'll be vital to us this season. Just a bit apprehensive about next week after that.

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #201: Aug 10, 2013 07:20:13 pm

Only a friendly.

Diego the difference is that we finished the previous season in 3rd, only ten points off the title.  We were playing well.  So a one off could just be that, a one-off.  Whereas last season we finished 7th, and in this game against Celtic we showed many of the same weaknesses that plagued us last season.  Lucas is still too slow; Enrique still has no idea what he's doing going forward; our back four looks shaky; Allen and Henderson aren't up to par in CM; and we can't find the right ball in the final third.

Now if everything were perfect last season, then I'd be more inclined to say "yea, it's just an outlier and a friendly."  But it's much more likely that we just haven't played any strong competition thus far this pre-season, and the first halfway decent side we face exposes the exact same weaknesses we had last season, which is no surprise considering we haven't done anything to upgrade our starting XI.

That's why it's different from Mainz.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #202: Aug 10, 2013 07:21:26 pm
      Neither Hendo or Allen is good enough for cam in the 3

I don't think it's the best position of any of them. Allen isn't an attacking midfielder. While Gerrard continues to play deep, I'm afraid Allen will be confined to the bench more often than not. I surely think it doesn't make sense to play Gerrard deeper than Allen if both are on the pitch.

As for Henderson, I think we should see more of him in one of the wide positions. Not that I am a huge fan of him there, but at least with his running he can add a little bit more to the team, in terms of pressure, tracking back and so on. I don't see him as a number 10 at all, he isn't that creative.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #203: Aug 10, 2013 07:21:59 pm
      Didn't Wisdom have a similar first team experience last season and ended up being pulled out. He does seem to have a problem with his confidence.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #204: Aug 10, 2013 07:22:43 pm
      Henderson ....the new striker?
      Way out of position for every cross.

Downing had a "i'll impress everyone today"    day .. because he likes the LFC salary Comolli arranged for him.
      Back to sleep for 6 months.

Yes dominated possesion.
      Mignolet had nothing to do second half.

Nothing lighting up the sky for us.

We aint getting anyone else.
      Zero net spend.

No electrifying wingers and no proven strikers.   Just squad players bought in on a budget.

Who wants to give odds now we will be 7th again next May?
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #205: Aug 10, 2013 07:22:48 pm
      I'm speechless, I'll leave you to your own thoughts

He has got a point though.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #206: Aug 10, 2013 07:23:44 pm
      I don't think it's the best position of any of them. Allen isn't an attacking midfielder. While Gerrard continues to play deep, I'm afraid Allen will be confined to the bench more often than not. I surely think it doesn't make sense to play Gerrard deeper than Allen if both are on the pitch.

As for Henderson, I think we should see more of him in one of the wide positions. Not that I am a huge fan of him there, but at least with his running he can add a little bit more to the team, in terms of pressure, tracking back and so on. I don't see him as a number 10 at all, he isn't that creative.
      With Gerrard playing so deep how many goals do our midfield 3 bring to the table its a worry.

Quick Reply