Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Celtic 1-0 Liverpool: In game chat and Post Match thoughts

Read 29785 times
      pragnorok
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Re: Celtic 1-0 Liverpool: In game chat and Post Match thoughts
      Reply #276: Aug 11, 2013 10:58:29 am
      we played them off the park today we had 10 chances on goal and still couldnt finish they had one chance and put it away sums up the last 20 years for me really. stoke are a tough physical side in the same way celtic are we will  have to finish them off early to get any chance of a 3 point starter. We just cannot finish games off late as we lack that bit of composure in the final 3rd late on in games we seem to panic as we know time is running out in games.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #277: Aug 11, 2013 11:00:19 am
      Nothing worse for me Stuey then a player afraid to take a knock for the good of the team. Simply if you cant give your everything for that jersey ye should not be handed a jersey ever.. 2weeks out injured or give away a goal that costs the game? No thinking required on the answer

The one thing that struck me yesterday was Downing's lackadaisical attitude. Some people are lauding him for his performance but his workrate and commitment when Liverpool dont have the ball is not good enough esp when compared to his teammates. As discussed elsewhere Allen is not an attacking midfielder but you cannot question the shift he puts in. Most of the crowd around me were very frustrated with Downing; to the extent that I thought he may get booed when he was substituted.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #278: Aug 11, 2013 11:29:27 am
      The one thing that struck me yesterday was Downing's lackadaisical attitude.
      Obvious for all to see mate.

Although, to be honest, I'm not sure how 'committed to the cause' or how willing to take an injury, I'd be, if I knew that the 'club' wanted rid of me. I guess "commitment" works both ways.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #279: Aug 11, 2013 11:34:05 am
      Next week's game against Stoke, far more important to get a result, remember last season, only had 2 points from the opening 5 games which put us really behind in the race for a champion's league spot.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #280: Aug 11, 2013 11:41:43 am
      Obvious for all to see mate.

Although, to be honest, I'm not sure how 'committed to the cause' or how willing to take an injury, I'd be, if I knew that the 'club' wanted rid of me. I guess "commitment" works both ways.

You could look at it another way thought mate.  If he had shown commitment to the cause earlier in his LFC career, would we be looking to get rid?

And if he really does want to stay and fight for his place (keep his inflated wages), then getting injured would help him do that  :f_whistle:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #281: Aug 11, 2013 12:01:15 pm
      You could look at it another way thought mate.
      I thought we had already looked at it that way debs and (in fact) mine was the "other way" of looking at it.

Either way; it looks like all the Liverpool fans who don't like/rate him will get their way, just like they did with Charlie Adam before him. So everyone's a winner.  :gt-happyup:

I wonder who 'we' will round on when he's gone tho'?

I'm guessing, in no particular order, the two remaining Kenny signings, Enrique/Henderson (even if they don't play) then, in order, maybe Borini and Allen... Assaidi, I believe, will slip under the radar because he was cheap don't ya know and we fans are now more concerned about cost cutting than a players input to a winning team.  ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #282: Aug 11, 2013 12:35:46 pm
      I thought we had already looked at it that way debs and (in fact) mine was the "other way" of looking at it.

Either way; it looks like all the Liverpool fans who don't like/rate him will get their way, just like they did with Charlie Adam before him. So everyone's a winner.  :gt-happyup:

I wonder who 'we' will round on when he's gone tho'?

I'm guessing, in no particular order, the two remaining Kenny signings, Enrique/Henderson (even if they don't play) then, in order, maybe Borini and Allen... Assaidi, I believe, will slip under the radar because he was cheap don't ya know and we fans are now more concerned about cost cutting than a players input to a winning team.  ;D

From a purely squad point of view I'd keep him mate, he's a good solid option when needed.  He isn't a starter for me though and therein lies the problem. 

Whereas I and some others can see the merits of keeping him we know that 'we' can't have a high earner on the bench because a cheaper option is doing better.

With regards to who 'we' pick on next, it seems like we're keeping Stevie and Agger so they'll start with the highest wages and work their way down the list.  That'll be Skrtel, Lucas, Henderson? Toure? Sturridge?

After these the only high earners we'll have left are those who are getting the mighty bonus's in our new 'highly incentivised' wage structure.  That means we'll be outperforming ourselves and winning everything in sight.  Happy days  ;)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #283: Aug 11, 2013 12:40:00 pm
      With regards to who 'we' pick on next, it seems like we're keeping Stevie and Agger so they'll start with the highest wages and work their way down the list.  That'll be Skrtel, Lucas, Henderson? Toure? Sturridge?
      I meant: who the fans will round on next.  ;)

Whereas I and some others can see the merits of keeping him we know that 'we' can't have a high earner on the bench because a cheaper option is doing better.

And therein lies a problem... do we really pick a squad based on cost rather than ability?

If by chance this "cheaper option" hits a bad patch; do we then rely on the "cheaper, cheaper, option" to step up (with his place on the bench filled by the "dearer, cheaper option")? If so;  then what happens to the "dearer, cheaper option": do we sell him to make way for a "cheaper, cheaper, cheaper option"?  ;) ;D
      « Last Edit: Aug 11, 2013 12:53:19 pm by bad boy bubby »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #284: Aug 11, 2013 12:44:59 pm
      I meant: who the fans will round on next.  ;)

Oops  :roll:

Borini, Henderson and Allen all seem to be equally praised/ridiculed, so I'd guess one of those mate.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #285: Aug 11, 2013 01:09:28 pm
      Don't get what half the crying is for, it was a friendly, wait at least until 2.40pm next saturday before you go into full on period mode!

After watching yesterday, we'll look a better team once Sturridge is firing on full cylinders and Sterling is back in the team, plus I wouldn't be rushing to get rid of Skrtel.

Other than that we created a lot, just need to start putting our chances away.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #286: Aug 11, 2013 01:12:57 pm
      Other than that we created a lot, just need to start putting our chances away.
      Heard that before
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #287: Aug 11, 2013 01:22:56 pm

Then it needs addressing obviously, it'll be probably be sound once we get mad/moaning arse back playing. (Delete as applicable)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #288: Aug 11, 2013 01:26:18 pm
      We weren't spectacular but we weren't exactly bad either, there were spells when we lost our shape a bit but they never really threatened. Got lucky with their goal, thought Mignolet had done just enough but the shot wouldn't have happened if Wisdom hadn't been done so easily. Thought Wisdom had a shocking match, really struggled throughout the whole 90minutes, think that performance showed he is maybe in need of a loan spell to get regular football and adjust to playing at centre back. Johnson was a bit hit and miss again, starting to worry whenever he is in the line up to be honest! As for Downing, cack as ever and although Wisdom was at fault for the goal he wouldn't have been put in that situation had Downing not tried hoofing the ball in the direction of our own goal!

Kolo Toure impressed me again, think he could really prove City wrong in not utilizing him more, reckon he still has a lot left in the tank and he certainly hasn't lost any passion on the pitch, he looks desperate to score!
      Was good to see Sturridge back and was really unlucky not to score, I don't get why he kept dropping so deep though, at times he was midway in their half whilst the midfielders were getting in the box.

Like I say it wasn't the best and wasn't the worst, an unlucky defeat in which we didn't deserve but it's only pre season and our only defeat.

Onwards and upwards into the new season.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #289: Aug 11, 2013 01:32:38 pm

Indeed, if we had put a fraction of those half-chances away we'd have strolled that game, the same was true last season where we completely dominated games and failed to convert some golden opportunities.
      Other teams have the same experiences but the consistency of our bad luck suggests there may be other factors at play.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #290: Aug 11, 2013 01:40:42 pm
      That's what's most worrying

We've been saying for a few seasons now, that we dominate, have the most possession, we win the 'corners' competition and so on. But it seems we are saying the same thing again. Regardless if it's true or not (I think it is true - we do just need to start scoring, the performances are pretty good), it simply HAS to be addressed this season. And surely spending cash in the transfer window goes a massive way to addressing that.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #291: Aug 11, 2013 04:17:26 pm
      plus I wouldn't be rushing to get rid of Skrtel.

Agree HR.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #292: Aug 11, 2013 06:05:56 pm
      Lots of possession and not enough end product... story of last season all over again.
      We look good when given space and have only Coutinho in midfield to "unlock" a defense when we are pressed or playing a physical side. Im encouraged by Toure's performance and with Agger alongside our CB pairing will be solid enough for the first few matches. I agree with HR... i wouldnt sell Skrtel and add to that Wisdom isnt ready for the CB role yet.
      My biggest concern is with our CM pairings. Allen/Hendo/Lucas wont win us any major honours and we need to find a quality replacement for Gerrard who is clearly slowing down. As a comparison, the difference between Gerrard and Lampard is the supporting cast around them in midfield, so if we can surround him with better CM's then we can get the best out of him in the attacking part of the field over his last 2 seasons.

Lastly, its clear we need another striker... a proven goalscorer even if he's 30+ years old, just need to have an eye for goal.

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #293: Aug 11, 2013 07:51:44 pm
      Finally it was a bit embarrassing to have the Celtic fans, credit to them, start the 96 chants today. They were top class from start to finish with little from the Liverpool crowd despite us outnumbering them about 4 to 1. Think 1 Liverpool chant went up and Gerrard getting ovations taking corners other then that nothing
      Agreed , we outnumbered them but we were out sang .Too much camera clicking ffs I saw ipads in there , whoppers .
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #294: Aug 11, 2013 09:00:03 pm
      I totally disagree with those who are ok with  the
      result...we must  play every game to win.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #295: Aug 11, 2013 09:05:54 pm
      Read the last 3 pages!!Ffs??thought I was meant to be in the match thread.But I got confused into thinking it was the Stu Downing slagging off thread.
      Was he really that bad?Imho he played well.
      As for the game,for me it was a really good game of football.Me and me grandson thoroughly enjoyed it.Hate the way the "negative slanters" (you know
      who you are)drone on and on,no matter what thread one is in.
      I hope Suarez gets forgiveness and continues scoring lots of goals for us.He won't be the first,and he won't be last footballer to have his head turned after Liverpool have made them great.Roll on next week.and here's hoping for a result.IF we lose or draw,we will or should be STILL reds fans at the end of the day.Ibrwt...YNWA. 
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #296: Aug 11, 2013 09:31:38 pm
      Was he really that bad?Imho he played well.
      He wasn't the worst Joey in fact he got some decent crosses in to the box that were squandered , it's just that he shits out of one on ones as did Sturridge as well .
      karljd
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      Reply #297: Aug 11, 2013 09:41:17 pm
      Agreed , we outnumbered them but we were out sang .Too much camera clicking ffs I saw ipads in there , whoppers .

In fairness a lot of the Liverpool fans were kids who havn't been over to anfield, were as the celtic fans were mostly hardcore regular matchgoers.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #298: Aug 11, 2013 09:54:09 pm
      In fairness a lot of the Liverpool fans were kids who havn't been over to anfield, were as the celtic fans were mostly hardcore regular matchgoers.
      There were a lot from Glasgow alright and were in a party mood for the weekend , as you say there were a lot of smaller kids alright and it was a novelty for them to see us play but it still doesn't get away from the fact we were out sang considering we outnumbered them several times over .

Quick Reply