Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Celtic 1-0 Liverpool: In game chat and Post Match thoughts

Read 29905 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Celtic 1-0 Liverpool: In game chat and Post Match thoughts
      Reply #253: Aug 10, 2013 09:35:06 pm

Cheers Fed, 2 big competitions I would suspect he means just the F.A. Cup and Premier League. I get the feeling that his 'disappointment' quote towards Kenny not achieving CL footy could come back at the end of this season if we don't make it. While I wouldn't say it's make or break for Brendan, at least the pressure to achieve is there this year.

Having said that if you believe Luis, they thought they'd make CL last year too, so who actually knows what's true anymore.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #254: Aug 10, 2013 09:37:20 pm
      Enrique was absolutely atrocious. Play like that and every team is going to have a field day down our left side.

Bloody awful he was, he needs to get his act together desperately.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #255: Aug 10, 2013 10:02:28 pm
      I thought we looked fine for the most part, just seemed to really lack that killer ball today. That happens from time to time.

Overall, I think we've had a great preseason and I just cannot wait for the new season to start!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4948 
      Reply #256: Aug 10, 2013 10:38:42 pm
      I see some people stressing it's only a friendly and maybe some reactions are a bit much but it has been our toughest test, amybe only real test, of the summer and by all acoounts didn't play too well.

Not earth shatteringly bad but not ideal either.

I'm watching the game later before giving any real opinion one way or the other.
      « Last Edit: Aug 10, 2013 10:51:19 pm by srslfc »
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #257: Aug 10, 2013 10:41:50 pm
      I was on the north stand behind our goals first half and I tell ye wisdom was atrocious , he was bossed by their no 17 balde inviting him on so he was , if today is anything to go by then stoke will get points from us . I know it was a friendly and all but there was no commitment .
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,835 posts | 6777 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #258: Aug 10, 2013 10:50:40 pm
      Dominated most of the match but as per last season, lacked polished in the final third.

One mistake by young Wisdom cost us a goal but poor finishing on our behalf and a couple of wonderful (in their eyes) saves from the keeper, cost us the match.

Oh well onto the real stuff now, don't know how in a week, Brendan is going to solve our problem of getting more lads into the box to get on the end of crosses and set peices.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #259: Aug 10, 2013 10:56:11 pm
      Only saw chunks of the match on a dodgy stream. My thoughts were:

- good tempo to the game and perhaps the lesson here is to improve the quality of opposition for future pre seasons because Celtic were a step up (not just in quality) in commitment and intensity compared to all of our previous opponents.

- From box to box I thought we looked quite decent, kept the ball well and passed it at a good tempo. The lads looked in good shape.

- Struggled in the final 3rd, perhaps that isn't a surprise given we are missing our two best strikers. Aspas didn't look so good with physical defenders pressing him in this one.

- We still look dodgy at set-pieces and for all the height he brings Toure isn't the dominant CB we need back there although he looks the part in other areas.

- Sturridge looked sharp, I would look to bring him on at HT next weekend and try and get him to fitness ASAP because we are VERY Reliant on him.

- We need to bring these players in ASAP.

Having said all that, I'm not going to join in the hysteria I've read from some of you in this thread. It's still a pre-season game and was a good run out ahead of the opener next weekend. And I wonder if that Toure goal had stood and Sturridge had put that long range shot into the top corner if everyone might have had a different take on things?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #260: Aug 10, 2013 11:47:35 pm
      Thought today was a bit of groundhog day from last season.  Plenty of possession, little cut and thrust in the final third.  Also a little worrying that these were probably the first half-decent side we've faced (and it wasn't even their full team).

I still can't quite believe, a week before the start of the season, that Downing is a starter for us.

Sturridge looked sharp, I would look to bring him on at HT next weekend and try and get him to fitness ASAP because we are VERY Reliant on him.

Very much so. 
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #261: Aug 10, 2013 11:56:23 pm
      I bet Rodgers is right fuming tonight.  JWH has come out and said we should win the FA Cup, the League cup, and finish in the top four.

"But John, now I can't keep saying we're a work in progress!  I liked it better when there was no accountability!"

I think he'll be ok. He doesn't fume much until someone steps out of line. It looks like everyone is on the same page at LFC lately. Apart from Suarez, obviously.

Good job we didn't win another pre season game. Was getting boring. Important to remember the way how it feels to lose a game and how it shouldn't happen when it really matters.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2853 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #262: Aug 11, 2013 12:04:53 am
      I have to start by saying it will be pure madness not to play Coutinho in a central role. The boy Is class and will cause mayhem playing behind the striker

Overall we ran the game. Downing and his fear of going in hard gifted them the goal, there only real chance. We could have had 6 the worrying thing being we ended up with 0.

Wisdom was bullied 1st half and by a lad not much older then him. Our full backs final ball is a problem as is our striker options if Sturridge isn't fit. Aspas offered nothing

Big plus for  me was Ibe, he looks ready to me. And just as well because I don't see us adding to the squad before next week.

Finally it was a bit embarrassing to have the Celtic fans, credit to them, start the 96 chants today. They were top class from start to finish with little from the Liverpool crowd despite us outnumbering them about 4 to 1. Think 1 Liverpool chant went up and Gerrard getting ovations taking corners other then that nothing
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #263: Aug 11, 2013 12:18:24 am
      Ibe, Coutinho and Sturridge looked good I think, Johnson too actually though he should have scored. Downing did some things good but the things he did wrong were more frustrating than the good things were pleasing. Unlucky not to win... And I have a bad feeling that won't be the last time I'll be saying that this season =/
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #264: Aug 11, 2013 12:31:24 am
      Given time, I think Ibe is going to be a monster for us.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #265: Aug 11, 2013 12:38:07 am
      Game showed that we're pretty much the same as last season,struggle to score and struggle to get any players in the box when attacking. Squad hasn't moved on in my opinion, lacking options from the bench. We need quality wide men, Ibe looks good but we lack a lacy player who commits full back on either side.

It's going to be a frustrating season with the likes of Enrique , Allen and Downing. Don't think playing with the three in the middle works either unless we use Coutinho as one of them, definitely  not Gerrard Allen andLucas or Henderson.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #266: Aug 11, 2013 12:46:01 am
      I bet Rodgers is right fuming tonight.  JWH has come out and said we should win the FA Cup, the League cup, and finish in the top four.

"But John, now I can't keep saying we're a work in progress!  I liked it better when there was no accountability!"

Can I post my "Nowhere To Hide" Video again ?

No.?

OK. Wheres me coat?

(P.S. Say it ever so quietly...... Is That It ? )
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #267: Aug 11, 2013 02:13:01 am
      Dominated most of the match but as per last season, lacked polished in the final third.

One mistake by young Wisdom cost us a goal but poor finishing on our behalf and a couple of wonderful (in their eyes) saves from the keeper, cost us the match.

Oh well onto the real stuff now, don't know how in a week, Brendan is going to solve our problem of getting more lads into the box to get on the end of crosses and set peices.

When Coutinho is attacking and the rest ball watched and not running into space or into the box to score points to only 2-things, we simply do not have the players with intelligence/quality to do it or we haven't learn a thing from last season by our coaches. If nothing is done, I'm afraid we're going to continue to moan, dominated possession but nothing to show for. Time to replace the attacking coach.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #268: Aug 11, 2013 03:04:01 am
      Was at the game, Coutinho is worth the fee alone, Aspas is not strong or fast enough so needs the perfect pass if he's to score. Sturridge was areal threat when he came on and linked nicely with Coutinho. Downing was his usual dire lazy self, how he starts I'll never know. Toure was solid and a real threat from set-pieces. Wisdom was below par. Celtic out-battled us in the tackles.

Poor finishing and good keeping cost us victory. Celtic fans were fantastic too.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #269: Aug 11, 2013 08:32:37 am
      Watched the game and after it started to get a little worried for the Stoke game next week. I agree that Stoke will be set up similar to what Celtic was yesterday and we found it difficult to break them down. They also have some big lads in their team and we looked a little lightweight up top with Coutinho and Aspas. Joe Allen was bombing forward as well and he,s not exactly a giant either. On the other hand though maybe Coutinhos skill on the ball and passing ability along with Sturridges return maybe enough to unlock Stokes defence.

Back to the game I don't think Wisdom can take all the fault for the goal because what the F**k was Downing doing passing back into the danger area like that...just a thought.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #270: Aug 11, 2013 08:39:30 am
      As friendlies go it was a good run out and no major injuries for the start of the season,it showed that there is a platform and a structure there.BR knows what he wants and think that he will have learned from last season thus setting out a strong challenge for top PL success this season.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2853 
      Reply #271: Aug 11, 2013 08:40:06 am

Back to the game I don't think Wisdom can take all the fault for the goal because what the f**k was Downing doing passing back into the danger area like that...just a thought.

Downing bottled a 50 50 by just sticking his foot in half hearted to put the ball in a dangerous area for us. Had he a set of balls he'd have gone in full out wrapped is left foot around the ball and knocked it into there half. Fully at fault
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #272: Aug 11, 2013 08:51:28 am
      Downing bottled a 50 50 by just sticking his foot in half hearted to put the ball in a dangerous area for us. Had he a set of balls he'd have gone in full out wrapped is left foot around the ball and knocked it into there half. Fully at fault

That's why he's gonna be out on his arse Brian, no commitment to the team.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #273: Aug 11, 2013 08:52:27 am
      Lads Lads Calm down for fucks sake.

Lets have some perspective.

Things could be worse.

We could support Man United and have Moyes as our manager.

Yeh but they finished 1st last year, if they finish 20 points behind and have a mare still 3rd with CL money to spend

We are starting from mid table and 7 days before stoke lose to a physical team sitting deep exactly like last season. What has been done to rectify this?

We've succeeded in lowering wages but not much else. 0 net spend.no improvement to starting 11.

It's no coincidence we shine in the last 10 games last year with nothing to play for beating mid table teams who were safe already.

We could win or lose 3-1 next week neither would be a surprise.

Mentally fragile.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2853 
      Reply #274: Aug 11, 2013 08:58:42 am
      That's why he's gonna be out on his arse Brian, no commitment to the team.

Nothing worse for me Stuey then a player afraid to take a knock for the good of the team. Simply if you cant give your everything for that jersey ye should not be handed a jersey ever.. 2weeks out injured or give away a goal that costs the game? No thinking required on the answer
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #275: Aug 11, 2013 09:02:19 am
      I wouldn't say I am glad we lost but in a way, it may do us some good. I think some were getting ahead of themselves after a few good scorelines. I don't think Celtic are a great team but they are probably the best opposition we have played. It will be a bit of a reality check.

As el Batez said, the structure is their and Brendan knows what he is doing. I actually thought Downing was one of our better players, other than jumping out of a tackle.
      Made no secret that I am not Enriques biggest fan and he wasn't good again today. We still need to sort out the left back position, even of it means bringing Johnson over and putting Wisdom at RB. They have one more game in midweek, inter club and behind closed doors, to get things perfect for Saturday. Still confident we will be alright.

Quick Reply