Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Liverpool 0-1 Southampton; In game and Post Match disappointment

Read 30172 times
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Re: Liverpool vs Southampton, Live Game Thread
      Reply #506: Sep 21, 2013 06:45:20 pm
      Just watched the game (recorded). That was a pathetic performance. Hate to blame the red too but that was a horribly officiated match. Felt the ref set the tone early tat would allow Southampton to play ugly, should have had a pen early on, may have changed the game in our favor at that point.

Yes, the ref was poor and we should have had a penalty, but nothing, nothing excuses the abject performance we put in today. We deserved nothing from this game, nothing at all, and that is exactly what we got.
      I refuse to make excuses for a display that was a disgrace to the shirt.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #507: Sep 21, 2013 06:59:12 pm
       We're going to need to take a fairly radical look at things as they stand I think. Mignolet has been a huge plus, Sturridge obviously plays but apart from that there are no guarantees.

Starting at right back, all those people who slag off Glen Johnson every week must surely be able to see now that we are a much worse team when he isn't in it? If they can't, they are either blind or so caught up in dislike for the player that they are out of touch with reality. The question is though, who do we play there for now? Me, I'd leave Kolo there, he did well today. If not and if we haven't loaned him out, John Flanaghan.

Centre halves? For me this is a no brainer. Currently our best two central defenders are Skrtel and Sakho. They are our best two, so pick em.

Left back? Enrique was as bad today as any Liverpool player I've ever seen and is apparently injured in any case. In that case until we have a viable option I'd pick Lloris. Apparently he's left footed and worth 7 million quid as well being like sh!t off a shiny shovel. Lets shove him in on Wednesday.

Central midfield? For me we have to pick either Lucas or Gerrard not both. Neither have the legs anymore, and as such it's an absolute no brainer. Gerrard plays and Lucas goes back to the bench. We cannot carry a carthorse in central midfield any longer. With Gerrard should be Henderson. Yes he's a bit of a lightweight on occasions, but he is a Duracell merchant which is what we need. When he's fit, Joe Allen should play there.

Number 10? Lets go with Luis Alberto. If he's good enough (and he hasn't got to be that good to be better than Aspas was today) then he's old enough.

Up top we pick our three best strikers. Sturridge, Suarez and Moses.

Job done. 

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #508: Sep 21, 2013 07:07:28 pm
      We're going to need to take a fairly radical look at things as they stand I think. Mignolet has been a huge plus, Sturridge obviously plays but apart from that there are no guarantees.

Starting at right back, all those people who slag off Glen Johnson every week must surely be able to see now that we are a much worse team when he isn't in it? If they can't, they are either blind or so caught up in dislike for the player that they are out of touch with reality. The question is though, who do we play there for now? Me, I'd leave Kolo there, he did well today. If not and if we haven't loaned him out, John Flanaghan.

Centre halves? For me this is a no brainer. Currently our best two central defenders are Skrtel and Sakho. They are our best two, so pick em.

Left back? Enrique was as bad today as any Liverpool player I've ever seen and is apparently injured in any case. In that case until we have a viable option I'd pick Lloris. Apparently he's left footed and worth 7 million quid as well being like sh!t off a shiny shovel. Lets shove him in on Wednesday.

Central midfield? For me we have to pick either Lucas or Gerrard not both. Neither have the legs anymore, and as such it's an absolute no brainer. Gerrard plays and Lucas goes back to the bench. We cannot carry a carthorse in central midfield any longer. With Gerrard should be Henderson. Yes he's a bit of a lightweight on occasions, but he is a Duracell merchant which is what we need. When he's fit, Joe Allen should play there.

Number 10? Lets go with Luis Alberto. If he's good enough (and he hasn't got to be that good to be better than Aspas was today) then he's old enough.

Up top we pick our three best strikers. Sturridge, Suarez and Moses.

Job done. 

Can't argue with any of that
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #509: Sep 21, 2013 07:15:59 pm
      An y success we get will depend on our home form being dominate. So far 3 games Stoke only the goalie saved us and against UTD we held on for dear life and now Southampton beat us hardly fortress Anfield. Having possession is all well and good but the only stat that counts is the one were we score more goals than the opposition.This is going to be a difficult and frustrating season
      Redangel

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #510: Sep 21, 2013 07:23:03 pm
      This is going to be a difficult and frustrating season

Again, nothing really changes!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #511: Sep 21, 2013 07:31:21 pm
      Yes, the ref was poor and we should have had a penalty, but nothing, nothing excuses the abject performance we put in today. We deserved nothing from this game, nothing at all, and that is exactly what we got.
      I refuse to make excuses for a display that was a disgrace to the shirt.

Totally agree.
      From selection, to tactics to team and individual performances....abject display.
      Not a good display at all.
      But saying that, maybe it's a blessing in disguise?
      We have ridden our luck this season and other teams have faltered.
      Perhaps this is the kick up the back side to prevent any complacency and ensure a more committed display for an entire game for a change.
      Shows painfully how reliant we have been on Coutinho and how others have to step up.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #512: Sep 21, 2013 07:35:59 pm
      My hopes are that Allen is given a decent run in the team when he gets back to fitness, that BR isn't so rigid with always picking Gerrard and that Suarez (even though i had no problem with him leaving in the summer) can pick up from where he left off last season and give us a front 3 of DS, VM and LS.
      Johnson through his absence makes us all realise just how important he is and Agger at times get's completely lost when under pressure.
      Have faith in BR but some bold moves have to be made.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #513: Sep 21, 2013 07:57:18 pm
      Bad day at the office, no doubt about that.
      With the 4 CBs today, we looked unbalanced, not just at the back, but when the 'fullbacks' tried to go forward. Not critisicing the lads who played there, it's just not their natural game.
      In the center, we were sloppy - SG, Lucas and Hendo won't sleep well tonight. SG still the pick for me, Hendo did a lot of running, but for some reason Lucas's legs look gone, he's looked leggy since season start. He may need a rest.
      We missed Coutinho badly. He's creative, makes defenders nervous, puts them on the back foot, passes accurately and has end product. To often Aspas and Sterling had no end product.
      Sturridge looked a bit off today too.
      Throughout the team, we looked lethargic and lacking belief, which is a worry. We didn't look like we were going to score once we went behind.
      At least Luis is coming back. So much for everyone who said we should dump the guy. Reality check.  Can't expect too much from the guy, he hasnt been playing competitively, but at least we know he has goals in him, and we have been depending way to much on Sturridge for that up to now. Daniel has done a great job, have nothing bad to say about him, but he needs help, someone to take the pressure of him.
      We lost today, but its not a disaster, still a decent start to the season. But like Alan P, we need to bounce back. Squad depth, quality, yadda yadda.... yep, that is still a problem - but we are better than that performance today.
      Suarez ... welcome back...
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #514: Sep 21, 2013 08:04:04 pm

At least Luis is coming back. So much for everyone who said we should dump the guy. Reality check.

I was one of those most in favor of Suarez being sold after his on field antics and i still stand by that opinion.
      But clearly he is a top quality player and of course he will be a huge bonus to us but i am not going to forget what he did and said during the latter part of last season and in the off season.
      Whilst he is here i fully expect him to show his quality and to give us a massive lift.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #515: Sep 21, 2013 08:05:53 pm
      I thought Lucas was great but tired towards the end.. he and Gerrard had a lot to do. Henderson is good but not great but we haven't got many other options in the middle of the park.

Moses looked OK but I kind of prefer Sterling who seems to have a bigger bag of tricks..

Gotta see Moses or Sterling on LW with Suarez and Sturridge in the other two spots up front.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,242 posts | 850 
      Reply #516: Sep 21, 2013 08:07:55 pm
      We need better players, again it showed that without two of our most creative players in the team we aren't good enough in attack
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #517: Sep 21, 2013 08:22:20 pm
      Have to say, and i have felt this for a long time, that Sterling is massively over rated.
      I know he is young and may well improve but at this moment in time i feel that he would have been best served going out on loan and that we had kept Suso.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #518: Sep 21, 2013 08:33:38 pm
      Have to say, and i have felt this for a long time, that Sterling is massively over rated.
      I know he is young and may well improve but at this moment in time i feel that he would have been best served going out on loan and that we had kept Suso.

I can't understand it. He was our best player today. He dragged players around with the ball stuck to his feet, he got back and he got forward. He was the only one willing to make something happen and in comparison to Gerrard looked like he wanted to get stuck in today.

Got to say - sorely sorely disappointed with Gerrard's performance today. I thought he was lazy, lethargic and totally unfussed. I'm afraid to say it but it was utterly pathetic.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #519: Sep 21, 2013 08:38:06 pm
      Agree on the Gerrard point but equally feel Sterling needs game time away from the club at a lower league and pressurized environment.
      I honestly don't see what he does.
      Yes he is quick, yes he can draw players but to what benefit?
      Not overly criticizing the youngster just feel he shouldn't be at LFC this season
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #520: Sep 21, 2013 08:40:20 pm
      I was one of those most in favor of Suarez being sold after his on field antics and i still stand by that opinion.
      But clearly he is a top quality player and of course he will be a huge bonus to us but i am not going to forget what he did and said during the latter part of last season and in the off season.
      Whilst he is here i fully expect him to show his quality and to give us a massive lift.

So you still think we should've sold him? But still think it's great we have a quality player coming back in. I don't get it - you can't have it both ways.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,285 posts | 935 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #521: Sep 21, 2013 08:48:30 pm
      Brendon didn't help with his selection but with the exception of the keeper to a man they were woeful
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #522: Sep 21, 2013 08:51:30 pm
      So you still think we should've sold him? But still think it's great we have a quality player coming back in. I don't get it - you can't have it both ways.

Yes i think he should have been sold.
      He wasn't.
      He is stil here
      He must be used to help us but i would rather a personality like him wasn't at the club.
      That's my opinion.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #523: Sep 21, 2013 08:54:32 pm
      Just to clear, it's only one game and even though we lost today and drew the last one AND have played badly in both i don't feel a need to over react.
      Feel BR is the right man and the team will become more consistent and stronger.
      We obviously still need better players but for right now this is a kick up the arse and may well be a blessing in disguise.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #524: Sep 21, 2013 08:57:42 pm
      Yes i think he should have been sold.
      He wasn't.
      He is stil here
      He must be used to help us but i would rather a personality like him wasn't at the club.
      That's my opinion.
      I have felt for some time now that this is his end product , he won't progress much more .
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #525: Sep 21, 2013 09:01:02 pm
      I have felt for some time now that this is his end product , he won't progress much more .

I was posting about Suarez.
      Are you referring to Sterling?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #526: Sep 21, 2013 09:04:09 pm
      I was posting about Suarez.
      Are you referring to Sterling?
      Sterling .
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #527: Sep 21, 2013 09:17:00 pm
      Ah...ok.
      Well refer to my prior posts to see how i feel about him
      Over rated for this stage of his career....may well push on but right now a loan and some time would be better for him rather than being a viable option for us.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #528: Sep 21, 2013 09:23:16 pm
      Ah...ok.
      Well refer to my prior posts to see how i feel about him
      Over rated for this stage of his career....may well push on but right now a loan and some time would be better for him rather than being a viable option for us.

He seems to just run into a brick wall with no end product , Rodgers should have either loaned him out or sold him and held on to Suso .

Quick Reply